Kindernay VII IGH and HYSEQ Onesie shifter

onlineaddy

Region
USA
City
San Diego, CA, USA
Kindernay VII

The newly announced IGH from Kindernay has 7 (instead of 14) gears, which makes a lot of sense for e-bike use. The gear range of 428% is down from the 543% of the XIV; it should, however, be sufficient for most folks. Do note it supports a maximum torque capacity of 160 Nm, same as the XIV. A plus with this version is its compatibility with the IS 6-bolt disc brake standard.

VII-complete-1000x1000-1.jpg

HYSEQ Onesie

An even more welcomed part of the announcement is the introduction of the Onesie, which is a right-handed shifter that performs both the up and down shifts from the same side of the handlebar. This is something many customers have requested. So, kudos to Kinernay for getting this out.

Onesie-opr-01-ED2-500x.png

Source: Bikerumor

Last edited:
I don't see the gear ratios listed on the site...
I hope they kept the highest gear ratio and reduced at the low end, as Top speed for electric bikes is more important than the low gear given the assist.

Last edited:
An electronic shifter would be even better. I agree though this reduced gears should be good for most e-bikes. I think I need either the XIV or VII with belt drive on my next bike. I'm going to miss hub-drive for a while. This Pandemic is making it hard for e-bikes to advance with all the shipping and component issues, some companies may not survive even though the industry is getting hot in NA.

".... the VII is simpler, and it is compatible with the IS 6-bolt disc brakes standard." ...

:)

".... the VII is simpler, and it is compatible with the IS 6-bolt disc brakes standard." ...

:)
This is confusing, because looking at the pictures, it is still using the 7 bolts system
Also, the disks on the Kindernay are a different (increased) diameter because of the spacer for the torque arm, so I don't see how it would ever be compatible with standard rotors...

I don't see the gear ratios listed on the site...
I hope they kept the highest gear ratio and reduced at the low end, as Top speed for electric bikes is more important than the low gear given the assist.
Even 28% intervals.

This is confusing, because looking at the pictures, it is still using the 7 bolts system
Also, the disks on the Kindernay are a different (increased) diameter because of the spacer for the torque arm, so I don't see how it would ever be compatible with standard rotors...
The pics might not be the final release, but we'll have to wait until next week to find out how they really made it 'compatible'.

Even 28% intervals.
This is not what I meant, I meant the actual Gear ratio, as that will determine the max speed for a given set of front and rear sprocket.
And given the limitation of the Gates rear sprocket (22), and or the limitation of front sprocket on some bikes (55 on hydra), if the actual max gear ratio is smaller than the one used on the XIV (1.477), it will limit the max speed achievable.

The pics might not be the final release, but we'll have to wait until next week to find out how they really made it 'compatible'.
The one on their website (which says it is available now) should be, but we shall see :)

I actually like 2 triggers , I would not change this. I will go for electronic shifting most likely, see how it works real world. I spend most of my time in the top 2 gears, unless the new 6th gear is is the same at the current 13th gear I would not want hat changed either.

scrambler has this correct, unless they lopped off the lowest 7 gears this is not better for my riding style, it is worse, I am looking to reduce the current rear sprocket so all my gears are harder to push and would ultimately raise the final speed. I am not trying to raise top speed but slow the cadence for my slow legs at realistic speeds.

Does anyone know why Kindernay is offering this new 7 speed hub along side its 13 speed (or is it 14)?
Will it be cheaper?
Stronger?
More reliable?

Edit: I see it will have the same max torque setting as the 14 speed hub, so same strength?

14 gears on an ebike is mostly unnecessary in many peoples opinion including mine after having them. I believe 7 should be enough most likely but the discussion becomes ratios are good for each individual riding style.

For me on smooth pretty level riding I never see the the 1st 6 gears and like the top 2 fairly close to each other maybe the top 3. If you have “only” 7 gears how would you space the different ratios keeping the top 3 fairly close together and then bigger gaps in the lower 4 gears?

14 gears on an ebike is mostly unnecessary in many peoples opinion including mine after having them. I believe 7 should be enough most likely but the discussion becomes ratios are good for each individual riding style.

For me on smooth pretty level riding I never see the the 1st 6 gears and like the top 2 fairly close to each other maybe the top 3. If you have “only” 7 gears how would you space the different ratios keeping the top 3 fairly close together and then bigger gaps in the lower 4 gears?
In this case it is evenly spaced at 28% step

Based on the above info I will stay with 14 gears and ignore the bottom 6 😁

Waiting/hoping for the smaller gear on the back

Does anyone know why Kindernay is offering this new 7 speed hub along side its 13 speed (or is it 14)?
Will it be cheaper?
Stronger?
More reliable?

Edit: I see it will have the same max torque setting as the 14 speed hub, so same strength?
7 makes more sense for e-bikes as with the assist, there is no need for small gear increments
From their website:
- Price is $999 compare to $1249 for the XIV
- Torque is the same 160Nm so similar strength
Will it be more reliable? Less parts is always good, but given the XIV reliability, there is not much needed here.

Last edited:
Back