Kindernay VII IGH and HYSEQ Onesie shifter

7 makes more sense for e-bikes as with the assist, there is no need for small gear increments
From their website:
- Price is $999 compare to $1249 for the XIV
- Torque is the same 160Nm so similar strenght
Will it be more reliable? Less parts is always good, but given the XIV reliability, there is not much need there.
Only problem is no fat tires compatibility. Max outer locknut diameter of 148mm

Based on the above info I will stay with 14 gears and ignore the bottom 6 😁

Waiting/hoping for the smaller gear on the back
@opimax in reading all the info I can find on the Kindernay VII as compared to the XIV I see that they say its bigger spacing between gears is suited toward ebikes because of the power assist AND more suited toward lower speed riding - up trails in lower gears and coming down etc. (my preferred type of riding.) The XIV with narrower spacing between gear shifts is thought to be better for the longer distance and faster paced riding I read you talking about. (As far as I understand.)

This is the Lab stuff you can read about on the website

They checked how far they could push the Bafang ultra. It comes with a lot of caution :)

Kindernay was kind enough to share the Specific Gears of the New VII, and it is good news!

The VII actually has a Higher top gear than the XIV, which means more top speed for a given rear and front sprocket ratio.
This is especially good news for e-bikes using the Gates belt as the rear cog for that starts at 22.
on a 27.5 Wheel with 3" tires this means that with a 22T - 55T you could get to 30mph with a cadence of 70rpm...

VII gear ratios: 0.48 - 0.62 - 0.78 - 1.00 - 1.27 - 1.62 - 2.07
XIV gear ratios: 0.272 - 0.309 - 0.353 - 0.402 - 0.458 - 0.521 - 0.594 - 0.676 - 0.77 - 0.878 - 1 - 1.138 - 1.297 - 1.477

Still no details on the new torque arm configuration with the 6 bolts rotor mounts....

Below is the link to my custom Gear / speed / cadence calculator (you have to download / save locally to make changes) :)

Last edited:
Kindernay was kind enough to share the Specific Gears of the New VII, and it is good news!

The VII actually has a Higher top gear than the XIV, which means more top speed for a given rear and front sprocket ratio.
I like speed, so that's good. But, the loss of the lower gears is unfortunate for that long, steep hill on my commute.

With pedal assist you should not be losing anything as you can pedal slower with high power output, and your speed is higher.
And if lower gear are critical for your usage, you can always adapt the sprocket ratio in that favor.

Last edited:
Anyone ordered already? It says "On backorder", which means it may take a while for it to arrive (taking into account the manufacturer is in Norway). I am thinking to order one to build a new wheel for my Gazelle Ultimate C380+ - Enviolo is nice, but I miss my discrete switcher from the Nexus... Targeting new riding season 2022. Any thought why I should not do this?

Their site said "In Stock" about a week ago. I paused to confirm some info before ordering and a few days into the pause "Back ordered" replaced in stock.

I finally contacted Kindernay this AM and asked if I ordered one with a Onesie shifter how long till it would ship? They said about six weeks if I ordered now. They said status was changed to "back ordered" to accurately reflect.....

No idea if they had them to ship before or if that was just miss information.

The only reason I have heard not to would be the possibility that the XIV would have better gear splitting %s for a road bike at frequent high speed use. (Your bike appears to be closer to that.) But realize I am new to ebikes/bikes and the VII seems great for me more focused on slower speed and mountain bike style trail riding.

I see two main aspects to this equation.
# of gears:
I think that as soon as you are using any level of pedal assist, the VII will be the better choice. I cant think of any situation where you need XIV gears on an e-bike.
Range:
You do loose a bit a range on the VII, but my perception is that there is no need for extra low gears on an e-bike, as you have the pedal assist that allows you to pick up speed easily, as well as allowing you to generate a lot of traction even at low pedaling cadence.

You do loose a bit a range on the VII
This is if compare with XIV, if I compare with Enviolo 380 I have now, I am getting almost identical range: 0.5-1.9 on Enviolo vs. 0.48-2.07 on VII. So, I don't even need to change the rear sprocket since I am fine with the range I have right now.
I cant think of any situation where you need XIV gears on an e-bike
I agree, I don't think 14 gears are better than 7 on the e-bike, probably just more shifting with no benefits. Extra range is not very usable on e-bike, unless you want a ultimate climbing machine.

Back