2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

With my son's season winding down, I'm starting to get a chance at weekend rides back. But today he did have an afternoon pickup game further out in the county, so I tossed the bike in the back of the car with a 2 hour ride window while he played.

Managed the 32mile ride in 2:03, which was pretty good considering I apparently didn't charge my battery so I couldn't turn the assist up much and the bike died with ~1/2 mile climb to the finish still left.

View attachment 154099 View attachment 154100
The road down to the Snoqualmie River valley is a really nice twisty ride. Popular with motorcyclists and convertible owners as I saw lots of both along the mostly quiet road.

This was the view a few miles into the ride
View attachment 154103

Further down I had a short unscheduled break while these 2 deer tried to decide whether to finish crossing the road. They seemed more worried by me and my bike than by the car on the opposite side.
View attachment 154101
It's so nice to get out in farm country and on roads that don't have stop signs or traffic lights every couple hundred yards.

I had forgotten how busy the Duvall-Monroe Road can be and the ~2mi stretch from Duvall to the county line has minimal shoulders and a 55mph speed limit. Took this picture at a small pullout. About 1/2 mile up the road a big pickup with towing mirrors on the side passed me without moving over at all. Pretty sure the mirror passed over my left hand.. sigh.

View attachment 154102

Too nice out to let 1 driver ruin my day though. Other than that person, drivers were really courteous especially on the twisty slow ride back up toward the end. Every car waited behind me on blind bends and I even had to wave a couple around me who were too cautious to pass on the short straights between bends.
That first picture is absolutely stunning! 😍 Sorry about your near miss, I had one like that one day and it sure gets the heart pumping! Always one idiot....

I rode a little over 25 miles today to the big town of Colmar, which has about 25 people in it. A picture of what a lot of this area looks like, farm fields with either corn or soybeans coming up.
04C1510E-5CED-4637-ACC9-F65678BCB85B.png
8ABCE3CC-B366-44D0-81CE-F6C97E9C9958.jpeg

My first ride on my newly bilaterally steroid injected knees! Used lots of throttle on the steeper bits to keep some breathing/pulse issues under control, but so happy to be riding my Flow on this lovely Piedmont Triad day 😁😁😁!

Screenshot_20230521-142511.png

My first ride on my newly bilaterally steroid injected knees! Used lots of throttle on the steeper bits to keep some breathing/pulse issues under control, but so happy to be riding my Flow on this lovely Piedmont Triad day 😁😁😁!

View attachment 154121
Glad you're back in business! Starting to think of ebikes as barrier-busters. Yours busted right through some medical barriers that would otherwise have kept you out of the saddle.

I can certainly relate to the knee part. Hills everywhere here — hard to avoid and often quite steep. Without an ebike, my knees would walk off the job. Being in only so-so shape, some of those hills would make me think twice even with good knees. Then there's the traffic.

Without a motor, these would have been daunting barriers to a return to cycling. But my ebike busts right through. Lowest assist with a second of throttle now and then is usually all it takes to ride often and anywhere I like.

Last edited:
The morning was clear here today. So I got out for the first time in a few weeks.

1684731163572.png

1684731317138.png

You can see the smoke starting to roll in from the NW.

20230521_105358.jpg

Calgary downtown of to the south. It actually stayed reasonable today. We've had AQHI at 10+ most of the week.
When I started my ride we were at 3, and I finished at a 5. It hasn't risen much from there and as I type this, we're back down to 3 again.

20230521_105401.jpg

Hopefully it will be just as clear at the end of the month. Look forward to our ride.

When it comes to data gathered by the World Air Quality Index, Alberta ranked the worst globally today. Not a statistic to be very proud of. :(

The Warmest May Weekend (So Far), part 1

With Summer temperatures and steady warm 18 km/h wind from East, it would be a deadly sin not to set off for longer rides the last weekend! I needed a good workout, as I need to become stronger and durable before the planned June gravel ultramarathon! (I also needed to get even more experience regarding the battery range for my two different e-bikes).

The Saska Kępa Workout
Saturday, May 20th, 2023

The plan was very clear on the Saturday morning: ride up the Specialized Warsaw Brand Store to pay for and collect my delivery. Then, I would ride somewhere to make my trip really interesting! (It was a Vado SL ride, as I wanted to get more workout).

1684742099264.png

There is a short but very steep ascent at some place in Warsaw. I usually climb it in Turbo mode. To the credit of the roadie here, he climbed the overpass using only his own leg power! (many people just walk their bikes uphill there).

1684736049432.png

I collected an extra SL charger and a spare inner tube for my Vado SL. Here, the Specialized Turbo Tero X with the seat dropped. It is really a SUV e-bike of high quality but it felt too heavy for my needs!

In The Memory of Sheila Sheen
Then, I pedalled to the neighbourhood of Gocław on the right bank of the Vistula. That was the area where I met my future wife Sheila (Anna) in 1982.

1684736746240.png

Born in Płock, Mazovia, young Anna had to move to Warsaw after the death of her Mother. We married in 1987 and had a happy life for the next 32 years. Nicknamed Chinchilla, my wife eventually assumed the nickname of Sheila Sheen (Sheen-Sheila). She was the joy of my life and the best friend. She passed away on May 20th, 2019. Rest In Peace, my love!

In the picture above, Sheila is wearing a 1 metre wide "Photographer's Hat" she made for me from the paper-wicker in the last years of her life.

Saska Kępa

Saska Kępa (Saxon Hurst) is a neighbourhood of Warsaw that was originally a marshland and was reclaimed by the Dutch, Flemish, and Friesland Mennonites in late 16th c. Those people were called -- as you already know -- Hauländers. The name Saxon comes from the personal ownership of the area (since 1735) by our elected King Augustus III Saxon, the Elector of Saxony.

Saska Kępa is the most beautiful of any Warsaw neighbourhood. Inhabited by middle-class people (mostly artists, architects and the like), it is full of blooming trees and flowers in May. You feel as if you were in a perfumery or a florist shop when you are riding there! Even a pop song mentions the neighbourhood: "It was May, Saska Kępa smelled insanely with lilac..."

I had lived in the New Saska Kępa for 17 years, was attending the Lyceum (a high school) in Old Saska Kepa, and moved out only in 1990. However, I have never been to the "Frigate" restaurant bar there...

1684735942079.png

Fregata (Frigate) is a restaurant bar in Saska Kępa that was established in 1962, has been continuously operating since, and it has a cult following. The interior looks almost like it was 61 years ago! The patrons of the bar include famous artists and other prominent people, and jazz gigs are often played there. I got me Zhur soup and the Ruthenian Pierogi. The soup was salty, the pierogi were spicy and it was exactly what I was waiting for! The pierogi were freshly hand-made! I felt like I were in Heaven!

Then I rode the George Washington Avenue, the Poniatowski Bridge, and the very City Centre of Warsaw (Jerusalem Avenues, or simply "The Avenues"). As the route is bike unfriendly and uphill, I rode it in Turbo Mode at pretty high speed with traffic! :) What an experience and fun!

1684739013643.png

The loot I collected on my Saturday ride. I bought the Ales and Imperial Stout in the "Beer Drinker's Paradise" while in Gocław. (Gocław was a General Aviation Airfield before a housing quarter was built there in 1980s).

1684739218583.png
|
My Saturday Vado SL ride. I only used 82% of the main battery for the trip!

Last edited:
The Warmest May Weekend (So Far), part 2

The Dziurdzioły Workout

Sunday, 21st of May, 2023
I wanted to go for a long distance workout with my full power Vado. I was surprised by Ania The Roadie, a friend, inviting me to her group ride into the Land of Łódź for Sunday. As I know road cyclists take no prisoners :D I agreed, even if that meant getting up at 5:30 a.m. The third group member was Leszek, a road cyclist riding a very lightweight old-school road bike, a man senior to me, a Covid convalescent. Ania is no pro racer herself but she is a very strong and durable cyclist.

At 7:48 am, we started our ride from Żyrardów. The outward leg of the ride was easy because it was facilitated by tail- or cross-wind. That part of Land of Łódź (historically, Mazovia) is undulated very much, with many climbs and descents (the latter were pretty fast!)

1684744009047.png

Mr. Navigator (yours truly) unsure what course to take before a roundabout :D I was often riding off-saddle because I selected regular shorts for the ride (no chamois) and had to relieve my butt from the saddle pressure :D (Photo by Ania).

1684739910825.png

The farthest point of our ride (67 km). The name of Dziurdzioły is totally meaningless but it sounds extremely funny to the Polish ear :D (It has some association to "potholes" or clumsy people).

We took a longer rest in Dziurdzioły and then we tried to get a warm meal in the city of Rawa Mazowiecka, by a gorgeous artificial lake, to no avail! There is the First Communion season for children now, so of course the restaurant was pre-booked for a party! I had to console myself with a big cup of coffee... We started the ride back, against headwind or cross-wind, and the crisis started between the 80th and 90th kilometre of the trip...

1684740283901.png

Unlike Central Mazovia, which is flat, that part of the Land of Łódź is really undulated. I was the trip navigator, and realised we should have turned to the right. At that moment, Leszek who was in the lead bonked (hit the wall). He became totally deaf and focused only on himself. He could see a massive climb in front of him and behaved like he were in a kind of trance! Terrified, Ania went into the sprint to catch Leszek! At that time, he was already behind the hill and accelerating! That added as many as 4 kilometres to their ride!

1684740738234.png

Leszek and Ania returning after many minutes.

The crisis became the fact. Even I was tired. We were patiently pedalling, giving changes in the lead, and stopped for ice-cream in Skierniewice-Ruda. Leszek got totally spent 17 km before the finish line. We let him eat an apple, encouraged him, slowed down to 25 km/h (15 mph), and I was calling out the kilometres left. Leszek could not believe he could make the trip when I shouted 'One kilometre left!' (He's told me now he could completely recover overnight!)

1684741171688.png

It was a real workout for me! 24.2 km/h average speed was not bad for the distance! I used 80% of each of my Vado two batteries charge (862 Wh). I needed not taking the third battery with me!
P.S. Ania has actually made the Gran Fondo (130 km or over 80 miles) herself.

Last edited:
1684772978680.png

The perfect cycling day and I made the most of it, I set off at 5.30am to avoid the morning traffic and it worked out perfectly! The temp was around 10C which was very welcome! It was one of those days when everything just clicked into place, they don't come along very often so I just kept going and going and didn't want to stop! I decided to head for Loch Katrine which is around 50 miles from home so I knew it would be an imperial century at least, I wasn't really expecting a double metric century but it just sort of happened! Last year I cycled to Loch Katrine twice, one of which was 130 miles with 7881ft of climbing, I knew I couldn't match that today after last weeks big ride!

My first stop was in Lennoxtown at the Whitefield Pond which was calm today as there was very little wind!

1684773445825.png

From there I took the low road to Strathblane, avoiding the Campsie Hills which would have taken a lot out of my first battery! At Strathblane I joined the main A81 north to Aberfoyle, this was the reason for leaving so early as I avoided all the traffic! This road is so much fun to ride as it involves lots of descents with the odd climb, there are some rough parts but most of it is in very good condition and I soon arrived in Aberfoyle! At Aberfoyle you have the option to take the big climb over the Dukes Pass or the narrow back road to Stronachlachar, after last weeks 112 mile ride and a 50 miler 3 days ago I wasn't keen on doing big climbs! So it was the quiet back road which is a bit lumpy but way easier than the pass! The best thing about this road is it passes many lochs and they were looking pretty amazing in the sun today!

The start of Loch Ard which was very calm!

1684774824159.png

A short time later the loch widens and it wasn't as calm here, I stopped just before it to grab this photo as the flowers looked amazing!

1684775084838.png

1684775158922.png

I continued round the loch and had the road all to myself, I spotted this beautiful garden with a stream running through it and had to grab a photo!

1684775490370.png

Just after this the road starts to climb up to Stronachlachar, at the top of the climb Loch Arklet comes into view and is surrounded by the mountain range of the Trossachs National Park!

1684775722835.png

Then its a nice descent down to Stronachlachar where Loch Katrine starts!

1684775837929.png

1684775884741.png

I had now covered just under 50 miles and changed to my second battery and it was time to join the very lumpy 13 mile cycle path round the loch, it was just after 8.30am now which meant I had the path all to myself! It was so much fun despite some rough parts, the smooth parts make up for them and sure put a big smile on your face! The views all the way round are just spectacular, the photos really don't do it justice! The wind was picking up a little now and on this side of the loch it was a direct headwind! I did eventually meet a cyclist coming the other way, he was on a mountain bike!

1684777090260.png

A little after this the road turns 180 degrees and the wind was at my back now, most welcome considering the big climbs that were ahead of me! The first one is a real brute and amazingly my gps didn't pick up the climb with the new summit software, this actually happened quite a lot today! I just love the views at the top of the climb!

1684777151983.png

1684777538159.png

I eventually reached the end of the loch and my battery had dropped to 69% already after all the climbs, but I now had about 36 miles of descending with just the odd climb and the wind at my back! I was pleased to see the steamship Sir Walter Scott back on the loch after a lengthy absence for refurbushment, I hope to have sail on her sometime this year!

1684777892853.png

Lady of the Lake was being loaded with bikes when I arrived, many of them would probably be sailing to Stronachlachar and cycling back round the loch but only the strong ones! I was watching the guy lifting them on to the boat and none of them were e bikes as far as I could tell, if they were the man was much stronger than he looked! ;)

1684778181089.png

After leaving the loch I was heading for Callander where I would pass yet more lochs!

Loch Achray is first!

1684778491842.png

1684778620340.png

Followed by Loch Venachar where I had this view and enjoyed a lovely picnic! :D

1684778718912.png

I continued on to Callander with amazing roads like this to enjoy!

1684778853939.png

From Callander I had a long spell on the main roads, using the paths occasionally when they were suitable and I was now heading for Stirling with the intention of continuing east to Fallin and on to Airth where I would turn south to familiar territory in Falkirk where I changed to my 3rd battery at 103 miles! From there I took to the back roads again all the way home, the only incident of note was coming across an 8 wheeler tipper truck where I least expected it!

I was going down a big descent with a tight turn before another big descent and heard a diesel engine screaming, the truck was attempting to climb the hill I was descending and was really struggling! I made sure I got my bike well clear and watched as he struggled round the tight bend but he did manage it, kudos to the driver! From here I had a trouble free ride home and although I was very tired now I was over the moon with the amazing day on the bike, best ride of the year for sure!😁

I also passed the 2000 mile mark for the year today, 2024 to be excact! This ride will live long in the memory, it was just cycling heaven! The weather is looking promising for the next 5 days or so, but my next ride will probably be Sunday as I need to rest now! Sunday will be another long one as I will be riding to the motorcycle racing at Knockhill Racing Circuit, at least 76 miles!

Attachments

• elevation_profile164.jpg
    elevation_profile164.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 77
  • trip-121964478-map-full164.png
    trip-121964478-map-full164.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230522_103943.jpg
    20230522_103943.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230522_110209.jpg
    20230522_110209.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 73
Lovely looking ride @RabH .

I was on most of those roads in 2015 when we stayed near Aberfoyle on Loch Ard (McDonald Forest Hills and Spa) and I can't say that many of the roads were very wide.
Especially driving on the other side of the road in an unfamiliar car.

We'd been at a couple of Rugby World Cup games in Cardiff and Milton Keynes. Would be nice to go back and cycle that area of Scotland.

You continue to amaze me with the ample number of routes that you have to choose from and all with such picturesque views. What a thrill it must be to have that luxury! Once again, thanks for sharing, Rab.
I am truly blessed with the best cycling roads, sometimes I need to pinch myself to make sure its real!😂
Lovely looking ride @RabH .

I was on most of those roads in 2015 when we stayed near Aberfoyle on Loch Ard (McDonald Forest Hills and Spa) and I can't say that many of the roads were very wide.
Especially driving on the other side of the road in an unfamiliar car.

We'd been at a couple of Rugby World Cup games in Cardiff and Milton Keynes. Would be nice to go back and cycle that area of Scotland.
That sounds amazing Randall, its an amazing part of the country and somewhere I try to visit as often as possible! The roads are very narrow and perfect for cycling but not car friendly, I have taken my car and didn't really enjoy it until I got parked up! I feel sorry for the RV's that attempt to negotiate them, well not really...;)

A Double Metric Century Rab! The words of true admiration!
P.S. Rab, what units for distance can you see in RWGPS for my rides? (Sometimes, I ride for a distance expressed in miles!) :)

Last edited:
A Double Metric Century Rab! The words of true admiration!
P.S. Rab, what units for distance can you see in RWGPS for my rides? (Sometimes, I ride for a distance expressed in miles!) :)
It shows in miles for me!

More pictures added from yesterday, I took so many....

Attachments

• 20230522_110209.jpg
    20230522_110209.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230522_104524.jpg
    20230522_104524.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20230522_101318.jpg
    20230522_101318.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230522_100917.jpg
    20230522_100917.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230522_100442.jpg
    20230522_100442.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230522_100420.jpg
    20230522_100420.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230522_095814.jpg
    20230522_095814.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230522_095519.jpg
    20230522_095519.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230522_093907.jpg
    20230522_093907.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230522_093259.jpg
    20230522_093259.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230522_083451.jpg
    20230522_083451.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230522_063219.jpg
    20230522_063219.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230522_071559.jpg
    20230522_071559.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230522_071631.jpg
    20230522_071631.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230522_075002.jpg
    20230522_075002.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230522_075032.jpg
    20230522_075032.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230522_080837.jpg
    20230522_080837.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230522_083232.jpg
    20230522_083232.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230522_112525.jpg
    20230522_112525.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230522_114239.jpg
    20230522_114239.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 73
In case anybody's interested...

Professor Bogusław from Toruń has been invited to give a lecture at another Hauländer Open Air Museum, this time in Wiączemin Polski (Mazovia), also on the Vistula. He didn't ride his bike this time though :) That is, he could do that but would not come for his speech fresh :D

1684860394624.png

The drone picture of the Mazovian museum. See the Protestant church (a building missing in the Pomeranian museum of Wielka Nieszawka). The Vistula is barely visible behind the trees in the background. I think the Professor's speech would be on flood control, his and Hauländers' thing!

Last edited:
Clear and pleasantly smoke free was the prognosis this morning as we took to the road on our regular training ride which has become somewhat of an inconsistent practice of late. On a positive note, we finally received the rains that everyone had been waiting for yesterday and boy did it come down starting late in the afternoon and then again overnight. Hopefully it will help with the wildfire crisis that has plagued the minds of those directly impacted.

GH011937 - frame at 0m23s.jpg

The clouds look ominous but it was just an innocuous system that was moving out north of the city. This fellow’s make shift wind sock was a tell-tale sign that conditions were calm.

GH011935 - frame at 0m41s.jpg

Back