2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Sunny but very windy day with 30 mph gusts constantly coming out of the west, so I did the Schenectady to Amsterdam, NY run on the constantly improving Erie Canal path system. 18 miles into the wind to the park in Amsterdam, then let it pretty much blow me back again with the motor turned off.

Thanks to ongoing improvements on the trail system, you can now go from Schenectady all the way out about 30 miles without ever being on a highway at all, except for a couple of crossings, which are well marked with flashing lights. NYS does a lot of incredibly stupid things, but they are top notch on this whole Empire State Trail initiative of the past several years.

In the walkway bridge park over the Mohawk in Amsterdam:

1684198637716.jpeg

That grey thing that looks like a large roof in the middle of this picture is in fact the top section of a snappy 17% hill that I went and rode up, just because it is there, as they say. You can zoom in and see the sidewalks along the roadway.

1684198985567.jpeg

I hadn’t tried anything that significant on the Creo before, but up we went. Glad to have that 42 tooth chainring on there, though! I was second guessing myself near the top when a woman watering her lawn yelled, “You can do it!” so of course that was the ball game. Way back in the old days, as they say, I would go out of my way to climb anything I could find, and even at 72, many pounds heavier and with two heart conditions, old habits die hard. God bless these ebikes.

Visiting The Hauländers
Morning, Saturday May 13th, 2023
(I apologise for this extensive post).

For anyone aware of the North American Amish and Mennonite history, the Hauländers (Olendrzy) of Poland would be not a strange culture or phenomenon; those were actually people of similar roots. The first Dutch Mennonites settled in the area called Stary Toruń (Old Toruń, Alt Thorn) as early as 1574. As the Torunian burghers were not friendly about the Mennonites, the community migrated onto the left hand bank of the Vistula, mostly to the present Wielka Nieszawka, where they got numerous privileges from the King Sigismundus III of Vasa.

First of all, the Dutch Mennonite settlers were great experts in flood control, making them valuable. Secondly, Mennonites believed in baptism of grown-ups and non violence. As such, they were relieved from any kind of military service, were given the freedom of faith. They could gather wood for own use, they could fish (but not hunt!), they were allowed to brew ale, etc. The Hauländers always acted as the whole community, were free people, and the community paid the rent with money (not with labour, which made them very different from the serfs).

The Hauländer model was so good that the Dutch were followed by German Lutheran communities, and there even were Polish communities following that model. Hauländer managed to inhabit a large area along the Vistula, present Kuyavia-Pomerania and Mazovia. Yes, the Hauländer population greatly diminished in early 20th c. because of immigration to North America and Russia. However, the last blow was given by the Second World War. Most of Hauländers declared themselves as the German, and as such most of them were sadly exiled to Germany, with only a few of them left in Poland.

The Hauländer Ethnographic Park in Wielka Nieszawka

1684196915197.png

"One-row farmhouse" where you can buy tickets. Foreigners are recommended to download the Olenderski Park Etnograficzny app (try doing it yourself now!), select English, and be guided by the voice from their smartphones. The app is so smart that it automatically loads the correct chapter depending on where you are inside the park, by GPS! (You can of course select chapters by hand).

1684197248488.png

A lapidary with tombstones brought from various Hauländer locations. The plates in the centre photo read: "Here rest in peace our neighbours Johann (of Gross Nessau) and Maria Hammermeister (of Gross Niszewken)". Both names mean the same place, Wielka Nieszawka. Both Johann and Maria had lived through a greater part of the 19th century.

1684197514736.png

The farmhouse seen here belonged to a poorer farmer.

1684197658442.png

A cupboard.

1684197588863.png

A weaving loom.

1684197714721.png

Every Hauländer farmhouse sported a living room, only used for social gatherings with neighbours during holidays. Modesty, order and cleanliness were Hauländer virtues!

1684197868900.png

Herbs, a press (for oil or juice?) and so-called "black kitchen". The kitchen was built inside the chimney, with the full opening to the skies!

1684198053179.png

A room of a farmhand. My grand-grand...fathers all were landless peasants, so they must have lived in similar rooms when they were young.

1684198187241.png

The beauty of the Hauländer architecture: the attic. The attics were high and had a steep roof for more space. During frequent floods, people, animals and property were kept safe under the roof, with the ground floor getting flooded.

1684198348509.png

Not a torture device! I was explained the tool was used to prepare flax for further processing.

1684198428081.png

You can see densely woven wicker fences here. Their role was to stop the floe during winter floods. Hauländers also brought willows onto the Vistula shores; the willows were planted at the edges of farm-fields to also stop the floe. Now, the row of willows is one of the symbols of Mazovia! (Frederic Chopin is typically pictured as sitting by the grand piano under a Mazovian willow).

1684199107986.png

A big homestead of a rich farmer, with the main farmhouse dated 1757.

1684199196307.png

The living room of the rich farmer. Researchers could find a bill for the purchase of the original blue wallpaper! (A small part of the wall is still covered with the original wallpaper, the rest being reconstructed).

1684199346246.png

The guide demonstrating the "white kitchen". Here, the kitchen is built into the chimney but there is the ceiling above. The upper part of the chimney was used as a smokehouse. Here, pretty modern 20th c. appliances such as a sink with running water.

1684199570600.png

The laundry, and the absolute hit: a wooden hand operated American wringer! The text reads:
"ENCLOSED COG WHEELS. Patented May 5th 1896. INCREASE THE DURABILITY OF THE ROLLS BY PREVENTING OIL AND DIRT COMING IN CONTACT WITH THE RUBBER. ALSO PREVENTS SOILING OF CLOTHES. Ovell Mfg. Co., Erie, PA, USA".

1684199827679.png

A vanity table. You can even see the original Nivea mouthwash bottle from the beginning of the 20th c.!

1684199945181.png

Clothes-hangers (one of them made in Marienwerder, present day Kwidzyn) as well as handkerchiefs.

1684200056807.png

A room of a maid, the bedroom of rich farmers, and a storage room for the nuts.

1684200162531.png

Cowshed / barn.

1684200227190.png

The historical map including Toruń/Thorn, Alt Thorn far left above the river. The pin is dropped onto the current location of the Ethnographic Park, Gross Nessau (Wielka Nieszawka).

Of course, I rode my e-bike to see the Park. It was pretty close to my hotel. Unfortunately, you need a car or a cab or a bike to get from Toruń to Wielka Nieszawka (7 km from the city centre).

Last edited:
Around and Inside Toruń
Afternoon, Saturday May 13th, 2023

I really hope I haven't bored you to death! :)

1684241909475.png

As train stations are different, I had to inspect the Toruń Main Station a day before my return. Nothing wrong with Toruń Główny! Spacious operating lifts are ideal to get your heavy e-bike onto the platform! Only the station is big and has entrances from two distant sides, so I wanted to be sure I had found the best entry!

1684242119080.png

The Gothic city of Toruń as seen from the Marshal Piłsudski Bridge over the Vistula.

A Historical Note
The city of Thorn was formally established by a bill of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, one Hermann von Salza in 1233. The rule of Teutons (who brought the new order with fire & sword) meant bringing civilisation to Prussia. However, the Teutonic State model based on the monastic rules had become obsolete in less than 200 years. Meanwhile, Prussian bourgeoisie became the most important social class that hated Teutons for high taxes and oppression. Following the major defeat of the Teutonic Order in the 1410 Battle of Grunwald/Tannenberg (against the united Crown of Poland and Dukedom of Lithuania), the Prussian burghers involved themselves in Prussian Wars that eventually ended in 1454. At that time, Thorn was captured by its own citizens, and was incorporated into the Crown of Poland for the next 339 years. Despite the Teutonic Order was not broken yet (for the next 100 years), the Toruners showed the Teutons the level of their contempt by demolishing the Teutonic Castle of Thorn and organising the city dump there! (Now, we Poles had to rebuild the Castle as a tourist attraction...) :D

Nowadays, Bydgoszcz (Kuyavia) and Toruń (Pomerania) share the roles of the capital cities of the joint Kuyavia-Pomerania voivodeship.

1684243525044.png

As I was confused with the road reconstruction in Toruń, I was pedalling northwards with traffic on the Chełmno/Kulm Road until I found an entry onto a beautiful asphalt bike trail (which I should had taken from the beginning!) As I turned left and arrived to the village Zamek Bierzgłowski, the first person I met there was my friend Bogusław (with his road bike) playing with a drone! :D

As I was riding towards the Castle, Bogusław filmed me riding :D

1684244006689.png

He also took a photograph of a round pond around...

1684244052089.png

And an aerial photo of the Birglau Castle!

1684244195232.png

It took Teutonic Knights as many as 35 years to build the Castle of Birglau, and the construction started in 1270. See the outer and inner gates.

1684244272789.png

The Castle fell to fire and was reconstructed twice. Now, it is the property of Church as a cultural centre.

1684244349703.png

After the leaving the Castle, I could enjoy a fast downhill ride. My recorded top speed was 59.1 km/h. Mind you, Kuyavia-Pomerania is not a montane area! :D (You would laugh @RabH, aye?) :) Later, we switched to an excellent paved bike trail and returned to the Torun city centre.

1684244571514.png

The Teutonic part of Toruń is completely Gothic. The statue of Nicolaus Copernicus (a German by birth and a Polish citizen at the same time; the nationality didn't matter in 15th c., and all educated people spoke Latin) is a popular gathering place, also known for happenings. As I mentioned before, Copernicus was born in Thorn in 1473, and the city is very proud of him!

1684244818840.png

Hungry, I went in the Stary Młyn (The Old Mill) restaurant - the second most frequented restaurant of the city!. No reservation needed but the waiter told me I would wait for an hour to get my meal! So I enjoyed myself sipping delicious Kvass made in Riga, Latvia (1.1% abv).

1684245065913.png

Baked Pierogi. I do not recommend them: they are very dry and even the Dill Sauce does not help you! If you want the taste of Poland, always choose the Boiled variety! Those Pierogi were stuffed in the "Ruskie" variety. Actually, "Ruski" means Ruthenian, or Ukrainian. Many people confuse the word with "Russian". To be politically correct, the restaurant named the meal "Pierogi From Behind Our Eastern Border" :D Anyway... Only five Pierogi but that was a huge meal!

1684245371088.png

"Rub the Golden Donkey of Toruń, and the prosperity will descend onto you!" (Can you see how strongly that statue had been rubbed?) :D

1684245481841.png

A fantastic meeting with the Professor and his wise Wife! We got together at "Baza", the pub of the Deer Bear craft brewery. I could allow myself a small strong ale, and we sat until I was sober again and could ride back to my hotel! :)

1684245617298.png

It was actually a 69 km ride for the day. (Wahoo got stuck for 3 km because of the software update...)

Last edited:
A Double Metric Century Along The Vistula
Friday, May 12th, 2023

It has been my dream to ride for 200 km on an e-bike for a long time. I only needed the proper riding conditions, and the destination. Suffice to say, the only location that was 200 km away, was exciting, and I had friends there was the Gothic city of Toruń on the Vistula. Given a warm May day and a massive tailwind available, I had to set off for that demanding ride on last Friday in the early morning.

View attachment 153671
7:25 am with my Vado ready for the ride. Two spare batteries in panniers, an e-bike charger, a power-bank, a phone charger, tools including a spare inner tube, spare clothes, toiletries, food, beverages... Just name it! I was so glad my Vado had got the new strong rear wheel just recently! I was riding in the 35/35% standard ECO assistance for very long range.

View attachment 153672
Top: An ancient fortified church in BrochĂłw (Mazovia). One Frederic Chopin was baptised there.
Bottom: A trestle bridge over the Bzura.

View attachment 153673
Once I got up north, I was continuing my ride along the Vistula all the way to Toruń. It is -- as I call it -- "the Hauländer land". As I am fascinated with the old (and long gone) Hauländer culture and phenomenon, I will tell you more about Hauländers in my Saturday ride report! Here, the line of the trees in the background marks the Vistula embankment and the gravel Vistula Trail (this time, I was riding asphalt only!)

View attachment 153674
It is the rape flowering season in Poland now. The views are magnificent, and the flower scent makes you feel like you were riding in the Paradise!

View attachment 153675
A wooden church of 1775 in DobrzykĂłw.

I have to admit I had to bypass an important and beautiful city of Płock -- once the capital city of Mazovia -- because of lack of time.

View attachment 153676
I had to ride with traffic on the major highway #62 very close to the Vistula. Here, the place where icebreakers were refuelling during the heavy winter days of 2021 when the Vistula was totally frozen and the flood jeopardized the city of Płock

View attachment 153677
The Vistula northwards of the Włocławek Dam. The river is unregulated from that point on all way up the Baltic Sea.

View attachment 153678
Włocławek is another major city on the Vistula, located in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian voivodeship. Kuyavia itself is a major farming area with fertile "black soil", and Włocławek is the capital city of that historical land. (I will tell you more on Pomerania in my Saturday ride report).

View attachment 153679
Flowering rape was everywhere! (See the windmills, too). At that place, I had just made the Imperial Century.

View attachment 153680
My close friend Bogusław intercepted me in a beautiful place called Raciążek. He is a University Professor at the Copernicus University of Toruń, an expert on hydrogeology and flood control. (The University Professor is the second highest academic rank in Poland). He is, among others, an avid road cyclist! Now, he helped me to get to my place even without the GPS! :) (Besides, I was tired and needed someone to ride with me).

View attachment 153681
One of the three brine graduation towers in the famous spa of Ciechocinek. See Bogusław taking pictures. He is a brilliant photographer, videographer, a mountaineer, a musician... What a man!

View attachment 153682
As Bogusław and I were zooming bike paths south of Toruń, I could hear a driver yelling at me: "STEFAN! STEFAN! STOP!" My name is really rare in Poland nowadays, so I stopped immediately. "Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!" :D Fancy that... Roman (centre) is my gravel cycling buddy from Warsaw. How come he was waiting for me on my course in Toruń? Here is the story:

Roman and his son are competing roller-skaters, and they came in Toruń to participate in a race. Roman was tracking my current position on the Strava Beacon link I had shared and simply intercepted me on my course! What a meeting! :D

View attachment 153683
Cosy, elegant, quiet, bike-friendly, and inexpensive "Dwa Księżyce" (Two Moons) hotel 7 km away from Toruń. The receptionist let me store my Vado inside the hotel and gave me a ground floor room on my request. A fantastic place! (Having a bike as the means of transportation, I must be crazy to live in the big city of Toruń!)

View attachment 153684
My longest e-bike ride ever! I was lucky to be propelled by the tailwind! Don't ask me how my butt felt, though! :D

View attachment 153685
"You're going to need a bigger map" /Specialized/ :)

Great job. What’s next, a triple Metric or double Imperial????

View attachment 153705

It was time for another epic, I have been really busy sorting the house after getting a new heating system installed so it was time to get the bike out again! I did get a 50 miler in 6 days ago but didn't take any photos and I was too busy to post about it... I set off just after 7am with a real chill in the air but the NW wind was light at that time so it didn't feel cold, I decided to head SE to Peebles and it was such a great ride with sun quite a bit of the way which is always a bonus!

I started off on the back roads and cycle paths on my way to Carnwath, this is just after passing through Carnwath with the fields looking very lush!

View attachment 153706
View attachment 153707
I passed through Elsrickle with nice quiet roads to enjoy and the sun still shining, this road is like a real rollercoaster and so much fun to ride!

View attachment 153708
View attachment 153710
I was now climbing up to join the A701 which was also quiet, this road can be busy at times but it was my lucky day! There are some lovely views along this road and not many climbs!

View attachment 153713
View attachment 153714
View attachment 153715
Just past Lamancha it was time to change my first battery at 46.5 miles and 3500ft of climbing! I now had a nice descent to look forward to on the A703 to Peebles, although I was now into a strenghtening headwind but it was still fun! I reached Peebles with 60 miles covered and my intention was to head for Biggar and then Lanark but I had to change my plan when I reached Biggar!

The River Tweed at Peebles!

View attachment 153717
View attachment 153718
I left Peebles on the busy A72 but left it as soon as I could and joined the very quiet and very scenic B712 to Stobo!

View attachment 153719
View attachment 153720
This road was just sublime, eventually I reached the end of the B712 and joined the A701 to Broughton! This is just before reaching Broughton!

View attachment 153721
I then noticed a quiet back road which would lead me to Biggar and what a road it was but quite a bit of climbing and I was still into the headwind which was now around 20mph! I arrived in Biggar with the intention to continue to Lanark but the sky looked pretty ominous so I decided to head north back to Carnwath! I started the climb out of Biggar and was keeping an eye on the clouds over Lanark way, the sun was still shining on the Tinto Hills at this point!
View attachment 153722
I was getting close to Libberton and the dark clouds were looming and I could see a squall passing over the fields to my left, the next thing I was getting pelted by hail and it really hurt! Thankfully I just caught the edge of the squall and arrived in Carnwath with the sun shining! I continued north and stopped soon to change my second battery at just over 87 miles, the headwind really depleted it! So I was now on my final battery but I only had around 25 miles to go so I could raise the assist level without fear of running out of juice, this was a real blessing as my legs were starting to feel it due to the headwind and all the climbing!

From here I had a trouble free ride home with just a little shower close to home, what a brilliant day that was and by the time I got home it was now 17C, a lot warmer than 7am when it was only 5C! Almost 7000ft of climbing and my legs were feeling it, I was actually considering taking just 2 batteries but I knew there would be a lot of climbing so I made the right decision taking all 3!

@Stefan Mikes Congratulations on your first 200k, awesome job! 👍
Between you and Stefan, I’m feeling like an underachiever. Nice ride.

Yesterday's bike ride to Golden Gardens

Attachments

• PXL_20230515_144137638.jpg
    PXL_20230515_144137638.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20230515_144114615.jpg
    PXL_20230515_144114615.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20230515_143728602.jpg
    PXL_20230515_143728602.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20230515_143637535.jpg
    PXL_20230515_143637535.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20230515_143536589.jpg
    PXL_20230515_143536589.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20230515_142021717.jpg
    PXL_20230515_142021717.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 78
And the weekend ride to and through Smith Cove Park, Discovery Park and Myrtle Edwards Park. The aerial view is courtesy of Grey's Anatomy (hey, I saw the opening with that view and grabbed it with my phone and then put in the route, more or less) that shows some of my route through Myrtle Edwards and up the urban hills to Seattle Center and the Space Needle

Attachments

• PXL_20230511_214316243-.jpg
    PXL_20230511_214316243-.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20230511_214321723.jpg
    PXL_20230511_214321723.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20230511_214851253-.jpg
    PXL_20230511_214851253-.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20230511_220635066-.jpg
    PXL_20230511_220635066-.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20230511_220643118-.jpg
    PXL_20230511_220643118-.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20230511_220806442-.jpg
    PXL_20230511_220806442-.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20230511_220809947-.jpg
    PXL_20230511_220809947-.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20230511_221204712.MP--.jpg
    PXL_20230511_221204712.MP--.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20230513_205926025.MPe.jpg
    PXL_20230513_205926025.MPe.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 68
Great job. What’s next, a triple Metric or double Imperial????
Given the e-bike (and my) limitations, the maximum I could venture would be a 257 km gravel ultramarathon this year. To "make it" on a single ride requires having a Support And Gear (SAG) car, which is strictly forbidden by the race regulation. Riding an e-bike is forbidden, too ;) I'm ready to be disqualified at the start line! :D

"MUG-A-WIND!", Or My Most Difficult Metric Century Ever
Sunday May 14th, 2023

1684300496979.png

All was good in the morning. I ate a good breakfast, and being packed early in the morning, I easily got to the train station.

I had train tickets for myself and the e-bike for Toruń -> Kutno and Kutno-Warsaw Gdańska trains. All I needed was to change trains in Kutno, and return to the trip start point with the tailwind. Upon getting on the train in Toruń, I met a friendly roadie who helped me with my Vado...

1684300765023.png

Trains in Poland are now bike-friendly. Carrying your bike on the public transportation in cities is free; same with local commuter trains (for instance, transporting your e-bike is free on Mazovian Railways). Long distance trains require a small fee for your bike on the train.

The cyclist met was planning to get off in Kutno and pedal his road bike all way to Warsaw; he had a weird plan to take the long but picturesque route. Was he aware of the massive headwind blowing from ESE? I felt sorry for the guy! However, he started me thinking: What if I got off the train in Kutno and pedalled home myself? It was only a Metric Century! I took the decision to ride the Vado instantly. And, well, yes, I was aware I only had 182% of my batteries charge available instead of the full 300%, or three fully charged batteries!

1684301363348.png

Already at the 21st kilometre (in a small town of ŝychlin), I was fully aware how difficult challenge that was. I was constantly riding into the wind (or close to the wind). There also were numerous low hills in the Land of Łódź. Moreover... There was a big issue to find a good grocery store opened on Sunday in the area, and no restaurants on my route whatsoever! I bought a pack of "Berliner" sausages and two bottles of Coke Zero in ŝychlin, and was fighting with the headwind. My butt hurt all the way, too! (I had to make frequent stops like in the place as shown above).

1684301646753.png

I was quite surprised to find the village of Kiernozia on my way! (See the willow the area is known for!)

Mme Walewska, A Great Lover

1684302037999.png

Born in 1786, Miss Maria Łączyńska was raised in the palace of Kiernozia up to the age of 17. The young lady turned out to be a great lover. It is believed she had her first son with a young Russian aristocrat. When she was pregnant, she was married at age of 18 by Mr Anastazy Walewski, a Royal Chamberlain, an old ailing man; the marriage was meant as a cover-up for the young lady

In 1807 (age of 21) she was convinced by Warsaw patriots to start an affair with Napoleon Bonaparte, so she could work on the Emperor to advocate for the Polish independence case. Childless Bonaparte fell in love with Maria, who soon produced a son to the man (so Bonaparte understood his wife Josephine was barren and he divorced the latter). Even if Napoleon re-married for dynastic purposes, he took care of Maria and their son, and she divorced Walewski. She was living in Paris and Vienna.

After the Bonaparte collapse and exile, Maria started yet another love affair with a French aristocrat and gave a son to him. She died in Paris at age of 31. In her last will, she demanded to be buried in Kiernozia, the place I met on my trip!

1684303325151.png

I stopped for a longer rest at the main square of quaint Kiernozia to eat some sausages. My attention was drawn by the boar statue. Why the boar? I was met by a group of young men having a good time and asked them the question. They responded with the legend: "Our great King Jagiełło was hunting there to kill a big boar (archaic: kiernoz). The meat of boar was smoked in Osmolin, then it was carried by sleigh through Sanniki to be eaten in Gąbin". The legend explains the place names around, and it sounded funny for me! Anyway, the boar kiernoz is the symbol of that village! :)

I was close to bonking. Fortunately, I soon found myself in the civilized Mazovia :) where I could find a good grocery store in Rybno. There, I could eat a nourishing sandwich, drink hot chocolate, and take some chocolate bars into my jersey pocket. There was an elderly man in the front of the store who was convincing me he could recognize my e-bike, and that we had already spoken! (Not the fact but I was as polite as to agree with him) :) It all made me get high spirits and merrily ride away. For a while.

I swapped the batteries at the 60th kilometre and set the Smart Control to be guaranteed to reach my destination still with the assistance.

1684304112314.png

Near to Sochaczew, I could see that funny picture. There had been a gate to the property, not needed anymore. Instead of replacing the hole with some brick, the owner just blocked the opening with the truck cabins he was selling! :D Oh, Poles can be ingenious at times! :D

1684304320563.png

Upon reaching Sochaczew on the Bzura, I was already in my greater neighbourhood. Here, the ruins of the Castle of The Mazovian Dukes. Unfortunately, my camera missed the wide angle to show the river, too.

1684304531363.png

What a disappointment! The beautiful building hosted a big cafĂŠ not long time ago. I was hoping for a big ice-cream dessert and coffee... To not avail! Yes, there was a ice-cream booth around but the queue was decidedly too long (and no coffee). Frustrated, I ate my chocolate bar and set off for the last 37 km... Which was painful! (I reached my destination with 7% of the last battery left).

1684304804249.png

The most difficult Metric Century I have ever had!

When pressed for time, I often ride the Coast Highway north to North Ponto Beach, then south just past South Ponto Beach, then home along an unofficial packed dirt rail trail. The coastal scenery never disappoints, and the 3 miles of offroad are always bumpy but fun.

Three things made today's loop a little more interesting than usual.

1. A 15-second swell from the WSW was kicking up some big surf worth watching, so I rode up to a bluff above South Ponto to get a better look.

20230517_162706.jpg

Soon I heard sirens approaching, and within a minute, there were 3 lifeguard trucks on the beach below, 2 firetrucks in the adjacent parking area, and a 6th emergency vehicle (Fire Marshall?) behind the firetrucks.

20230517_230326.jpg

I was too far away to see what was happening on the beach at the time, but a close look at the photos afterward showed 2 lifeguards talking to a huddled group of teens, one a surfer, and another 2 lifeguards in wetsuits with red floats in hand, ready to swim.

Despite the big response, the whole thing soon fizzled. The lifeguards never swam, and no one was pulled from the water, hauled off to the hospital, or arrested. The lifeguard trucks stayed with the teens while the other emergency vehicles took off.

2. Just as I pulled up to the Poinsettia train station to cross under the tracks, I happened to notice an amazing 3D mural on a backyard fence above the rails. Gee, when did that happen??

20230517_224244.jpg

Quite the ocean scene!

20230517_165107.jpg
20230517_165246.jpg

A surfer shooting the tube under a dazzling sun.

20230517_165330.jpg

Crabs headed toward their doom.

20230517_165228.jpg

A kayak fisherman with gulls overhead and lots of painted fish below and behind. Hats off to the artist!

3. Left the rail trail to shoot the mural, putting myself close enough to the tracks to be in posted "Authorized Personnel Only" territory. That's when the Coaster — our San Diego-to-Oceanside commuter train — pulled into the station just ahead of me.

20230517_165142.jpg

20230517_165149.jpg

Well, my inner 6 year-old wasn't about to let that photo op pass! Here's the train coming out of the station.

Quite an action-packed 8.5 miles!

Last edited:
And the weekend ride to and through Smith Cove Park, Discovery Park and Myrtle Edwards Park. The aerial view is courtesy of Grey's Anatomy (hey, I saw the opening with that view and grabbed it with my phone and then put in the route, more or less) that shows some of my route through Myrtle Edwards and up the urban hills to Seattle Center and the Space Needle
I hear it's been very, very warm out there!

After reading Stefan's post about people disappearing, and having my heart broken reading about the loss of several of our wonderful members, just want to say I'm still here. Health issues have kept me off my bike, but working on getting them resolved so I can get back out there!

I've been popping in to read and comment some, but it makes me miss riding more! Trying to be content with the vicarious enjoyment of everyone else's experiences, though 😉.

I rode about 24 mikes today. A picture of some of the Amish goats and sheep. I also noticed a benchmark which is of interest to me as I’m a retired land surveyor. This one isn’t stamped with a number. Most of these were set and elevations run to them in the 1920’s and 1930’s, I’m guessing this one was one they added in the 1950’s, hence no number.
DF6530C1-F1EE-48F2-902A-2BD8C7BDB27E.jpeg
EAF266C8-3D3A-496B-A989-3B06C362443C.jpeg
9408A63A-7A20-40AA-A8F3-ABDBEC9638B9.jpeg

View attachment 153705

It was time for another epic, I have been really busy sorting the house after getting a new heating system installed so it was time to get the bike out again! I did get a 50 miler in 6 days ago but didn't take any photos and I was too busy to post about it... I set off just after 7am with a real chill in the air but the NW wind was light at that time so it didn't feel cold, I decided to head SE to Peebles and it was such a great ride with sun quite a bit of the way which is always a bonus!

I started off on the back roads and cycle paths on my way to Carnwath, this is just after passing through Carnwath with the fields looking very lush!

View attachment 153706
View attachment 153707
I passed through Elsrickle with nice quiet roads to enjoy and the sun still shining, this road is like a real rollercoaster and so much fun to ride!

View attachment 153708
View attachment 153710
I was now climbing up to join the A701 which was also quiet, this road can be busy at times but it was my lucky day! There are some lovely views along this road and not many climbs!

View attachment 153713
View attachment 153714
View attachment 153715
Just past Lamancha it was time to change my first battery at 46.5 miles and 3500ft of climbing! I now had a nice descent to look forward to on the A703 to Peebles, although I was now into a strenghtening headwind but it was still fun! I reached Peebles with 60 miles covered and my intention was to head for Biggar and then Lanark but I had to change my plan when I reached Biggar!

The River Tweed at Peebles!

View attachment 153717
View attachment 153718
I left Peebles on the busy A72 but left it as soon as I could and joined the very quiet and very scenic B712 to Stobo!

View attachment 153719
View attachment 153720
This road was just sublime, eventually I reached the end of the B712 and joined the A701 to Broughton! This is just before reaching Broughton!

View attachment 153721
I then noticed a quiet back road which would lead me to Biggar and what a road it was but quite a bit of climbing and I was still into the headwind which was now around 20mph! I arrived in Biggar with the intention to continue to Lanark but the sky looked pretty ominous so I decided to head north back to Carnwath! I started the climb out of Biggar and was keeping an eye on the clouds over Lanark way, the sun was still shining on the Tinto Hills at this point!
View attachment 153722
I was getting close to Libberton and the dark clouds were looming and I could see a squall passing over the fields to my left, the next thing I was getting pelted by hail and it really hurt! Thankfully I just caught the edge of the squall and arrived in Carnwath with the sun shining! I continued north and stopped soon to change my second battery at just over 87 miles, the headwind really depleted it! So I was now on my final battery but I only had around 25 miles to go so I could raise the assist level without fear of running out of juice, this was a real blessing as my legs were starting to feel it due to the headwind and all the climbing!

From here I had a trouble free ride home with just a little shower close to home, what a brilliant day that was and by the time I got home it was now 17C, a lot warmer than 7am when it was only 5C! Almost 7000ft of climbing and my legs were feeling it, I was actually considering taking just 2 batteries but I knew there would be a lot of climbing so I made the right decision taking all 3!

@Stefan Mikes Congratulations on your first 200k, awesome job! 👍
Im getting a bit suspicious of your posts, thats an awful lot of blue sky.

Few more pics from my Brecon trip, this is the community centre Bike Hub in Talybont on Usk, merely posing here, I always carry a good collection of pound/dollar store tools for my bike.
Screenshot_20230518-222603.png

Start of the trail, cute.
Screenshot_20230518-222629.png

Bike conked out at the top, who here carries a multi meter..oh I see, you dont ride botched diy bikes 😂

Screenshot_20230518-222808.png

Caught a couple of acoustic riders cruising up the hill on the drone while I'm botching my bike back together.
Screenshot_20230518-222906.png

Got it working , but abandoned any further climbing and headed back down an interesting path only to find it was footpath, there goes my back again.
Screenshot_20230518-222957.png

Turned out to be empty and I meandered down a magical riverside path in the sunshine completely alone.
Screenshot_20230518-223113.png

This is actually Brecon Cathedral in a not very Cathedral looking way.
Screenshot_20230518-223225.png

Bavarian motah verx 2002 meet, there were loads of them around the town.
Screenshot_20230518-223400.png

And finally discovered the cause of many recent breakdowns.
A dry solder joint on the ..yes we call it solder....on the connector, randomly failing under load and randomly repairing itself.
Screenshot_20230518-223428.png

After a good repair the bike was performing much better, the loose wire was obviously interfering with proper operation of the controller.
The lovely man who ran the canal barge tour came over and asked what was up.

Bad solder joint I said

Ive got some WD40 if you need it.

Bike conked out at the top, who here carries a multi meter..oh I see, you dont ride botched diy bikes 😂

Screenshot_20230518-222808.png
Were I just 10 years younger, I would certainly come up with a kind of an "endorser billboard", like: 'So your old trusty multimetre does not need to gather the dust in your drawer anymore... GO BAFANG' :D Did you bring your soldering iron with you, too? :)

Got it working , but abandoned any further climbing and headed back down an interesting path only to find it was footpath, there goes my back again.
Screenshot_20230518-222957.png
I can clearly see you are a good candidate to take part in the Mazovian Gravel 250 (160 mi) race! The route plan for the MG 2023 involves a mandatory crossing a little river with your bike! :D

Joking aside: Wales, what a beautiful country!

Back