2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Hercules, yes never heard of them

I like your chest mount videos, but I still think your arms look weird with superview 😂
And some think that my stumpy legs look weird. 😄 Recently, I’ve been shooting footage in 360 after discovering that I accidentally left it on in that format during another trail ride late last year. Despite the appearance of my gangly elastic man appendages, I kind of liked the perspective from further behind the cockpit. Like you, I’m still not totally sold + it requires a bit more effort in post editing.

Ive been messing with AI images, they range from chaotic to cool and something inbetween that has a beauty of its own.
I really dont know where we are going to end up.

output (1).jpg

output.jpg

1682952758401.png

After almost a week off the bike I was itching to get out again, the forecast wasn't looking great but good enough for me to chance it! At least the winds weren't too bad, around 15mph and directly from the west! So I decided to head for the Forth Bridges which would mean a tailwind for around 27 miles, not long after I set off the sun made a welcome appearance and it brought some welcome warmth which has sure been missing! I took the back roads to Avonbridge and the sun was drying the roads nicely!

1682953348712.png

The sun shining on the Ochill Hills in the distance!

1682953462999.png

I turned the corner just after this and the road was strewn with mud for about half a mile! :oops: I wasn't expecting the bike to stay clean today with the dodgy forecast but sure wasn't expecting it to get filthy with the sun shining...oh well it will wash off later! I continued from Avonbridge to Linlithgow still on the back roads and saw many cyclists heading in the opposite direction, it was a holiday Monday so no surprise there! I arrived in Linlithgow and stopped at the Linlithgow Loch for a snack and caught this cyclist enjoying the trail on his e bike!

1682953905317.png

I continued heading east with the tailwind pushing me along and arrived in Newton with the sun still shining, another view of the Ochill Hills from just outside Newton and the first glimpse of the bridges!

1682954136847.png

1682954179413.png

Only a few miles to go now before crossing the bridge over to Fife, I had a nice view of the Rosyth Dockyard just before the crossing!

1682954389254.png

As I was crossing the bridge I could see the rain clouds gathering to the north but the sun was still beating down at this point!

1682954513377.png

1682954564181.png

As I was crossing the bridge the wind was starting to pick up a bit and it was now a crosswind, I always avoid this crossing in strong crosswinds but it wasn't so scary today thankfully! I arrived in Inverkeithing and enjoyed a couple of hot sausage rolls in the Greggs bakery, they were piping hot and very delicious!👍I passed through Inverkeithing and was now heading for Rosyth, now into a headwind of around 20mph and the rain clouds were looming in the distance!

I stopped to grab a couple of photos of the ducks in the little stream that runs through a business park just past Rosyth and 2 remote control mowers were in operation, I couldn't see anybody operating them strangely!

1682955313061.png

1682955371532.png

I took to the cycle path to Crombie to keep away from the traffic on the main road and had it all to myself until I reached Culross and met a lot of dog walkers, I had to just grin and bear it as the road was actually closed through Culross! I could feel the rain starting to fall now and before long it was getting pretty heavy but at least it wasn't cold so it didn't spoil my ride!

The cycle path at Culross looking across the River Forth!

1682955830297.png

I was now heading for the Kincardine Bridge with the rain still falling, at least it was looking better to the south where I would be turning soon after the bridge!

The Clackmannanshire Bridge with the rain shrouded Ochill Hills in the background!

1682956111367.png

I was now heading for Carronshore and the rain had now abated and the roads here were actually dry, it looked like the rain had totally missed this area and it remained dry all the way home! I passed through Carronshore and had to use the main roads for a bit as I was heading for Falkirk, where there are many roundabouts to negotiate!

I was stopped at one of the roundabouts waiting for the traffic to clear and just as I stepped on the pedals I felt a big jolt, I actually thought my rear wheel had collapsed! I looked back to see an elderly lady in a small car with a look of fear on her face, yes she rear ended me! Thankfully it was just a minor hit and didn't cause any damage, she was very apologetic and I reassured her I was fine and not to worry about it! Hopefully its a lesson learned for her....

Anyway I was soon on my back roads again and having a blast with the incident forgotten about and these views just reminded me how lucky I am to enjoy these roads and the scenery around me!

1682958490364.png

1682958583765.png

I arrived home without further incident, it was so good to get out again! I was a little gutted not to get one more ride in April as I was only a few miles from beating my March total, hoping for a strong month this time if the weather plays ball!

Attachments

• elevation_profile160.jpg
    elevation_profile160.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 67
  • trip-119643290-map-full160.png
    trip-119643290-map-full160.png
    485.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230501_105948.jpg
    20230501_105948.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230501_112823.jpg
    20230501_112823.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230501_113528.jpg
    20230501_113528.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230501_132132.jpg
    20230501_132132.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230501_132814.jpg
    20230501_132814.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230501_132909.jpg
    20230501_132909.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
View attachment 152740

After almost a week off the bike I was itching to get out again, the forecast wasn't looking great but good enough for me to chance it! At least the winds weren't too bad, around 15mph and directly from the west! So I decided to head for the Forth Bridges which would mean a tailwind for around 27 miles, not long after I set off the sun made a welcome appearance and it brought some welcome warmth which has sure been missing! I took the back roads to Avonbridge and the sun was drying the roads nicely!

View attachment 152743View attachment 152745
The sun shining on the Ochill Hills in the distance!

View attachment 152744
I turned the corner just after this and the road was strewn with mud for about half a mile! :oops: I wasn't expecting the bike to stay clean today with the dodgy forecast but sure wasn't expecting it to get filthy with the sun shining...oh well it will wash off later! I continued from Avonbridge to Linlithgow still on the back roads and saw many cyclists heading in the opposite direction, it was a holiday Monday so no surprise there! I arrived in Linlithgow and stopped at the Linlithgow Loch for a snack and caught this cyclist enjoying the trail on his e bike!

View attachment 152746
I continued heading east with the tailwind pushing me along and arrived in Newton with the sun still shining, another view of the Ochill Hills from just outside Newton and the first glimpse of the bridges!

View attachment 152747
View attachment 152748
Only a few miles to go now before crossing the bridge over to Fife, I had a nice view of the Rosyth Dockyard just before the crossing!

View attachment 152750
As I was crossing the bridge I could see the rain clouds gathering to the north but the sun was still beating down at this point!

View attachment 152751
View attachment 152752
As I was crossing the bridge the wind was starting to pick up a bit and it was now a crosswind, I always avoid this crossing in strong crosswinds but it wasn't so scary today thankfully! I arrived in Inverkeithing and enjoyed a couple of hot sausage rolls in the Greggs bakery, they were piping hot and very delicious!👍I passed through Inverkeithing and was now heading for Rosyth, now into a headwind of around 20mph and the rain clouds were looming in the distance!

I stopped to grab a couple of photos of the ducks in the little stream that runs through a business park just past Rosyth and 2 remote control mowers were in operation, I couldn't see anybody operating them strangely!

View attachment 152753
View attachment 152754
I took to the cycle path to Crombie to keep away from the traffic on the main road and had it all to myself until I reached Culross and met a lot of dog walkers, I had to just grin and bear it as the road was actually closed through Culross! I could feel the rain starting to fall now and before long it was getting pretty heavy but at least it wasn't cold so it didn't spoil my ride!

The cycle path at Culross looking across the River Forth!

View attachment 152755
I was now heading for the Kincardine Bridge with the rain still falling, at least it was looking better to the south where I would be turning soon after the bridge!

The Clackmannanshire Bridge with the rain shrouded Ochill Hills in the background!

View attachment 152756
I was now heading for Carronshore and the rain had now abated and the roads here were actually dry, it looked like the rain had totally missed this area and it remained dry all the way home! I passed through Carronshore and had to use the main roads for a bit as I was heading for Falkirk, where there are many roundabouts to negotiate!

I was stopped at one of the roundabouts waiting for the traffic to clear and just as I stepped on the pedals I felt a big jolt, I actually thought my rear wheel had collapsed! I looked back to see an elderly lady in a small car with a look of fear on her face, yes she rear ended me! Thankfully it was just a minor hit and didn't cause any damage, she was very apologetic and I reassured her I was fine and not to worry about it! Hopefully its a lesson learned for her....

Anyway I was soon on my back roads again and having a blast with the incident forgotten about and these views just reminded me how lucky I am to enjoy these roads and the scenery around me!

View attachment 152757
View attachment 152758
I arrived home without further incident, it was so good to get out again! I was a little gutted not to get one more ride in April as I was only a few miles from beating my March total, hoping for a strong month this time if the weather plays ball!
Really enjoyed all the river pictures — especially the bridge to Fife and the dockyard.

You were very gracious to the offending driver. Glad you and the bike are OK.

The Trail of Sromów, 2nd Edition

I had been quite disappointed with the attendance issues for the second group ride over the "Sromów Trail". Most of people who had promised joining the ride found various excuses not to come. I was happy enough to get on that ride with two female friends, Ania (riding a road bike with gravel tyres) and Makenzen. (on a recumbent bike). As I have already reported the previous Sromów ride, let me just share something new now.

1682988388906.png

The name of Sromów is a little bit funny... Meaning "Of Fannies" :) For this reason, the group picture on entering the place is a must!

1682988491099.png

Two wooden figures I missed seeing before! (These are mounted onto a road-sign pole) :)

1682988571530.png

Inside the Folk Museum of the Brzozowski Family in Sromów. What you can see is a wedding photo of a couple from Sromów, 1930. Notice the wedding wreath on the head of the bride!

1682988684224.png

"A Łowicz Country Maid Riding A Bicycle". A painting by Ms. Maria Brzozowska-Kosińska, our host and guide.

1682988841282.png

A scene depicting the Easter Monday of the Łowicz countryside. Far right (background): a man chasing a girl with a bucket of water :) One of the tradition for the Łowicz countryside was walking a rooster in a cart around the village (the symbol of prosperity).

1682989042188.png

A collection of traditional Łowicz dresses. Again, see the wreath on the head of the bride (that type of wreath was unique to the Łowicz countryside).

1682989263429.png

A scene of threshing. Wherever grain is, there are mice. See two cats looking for the mice :)

1682989438029.png

There are as many as two pavilions full of carts and sleigh at the Folk Museum. The scene here has been made mobile.

1682989523202.png

It was Sunday 30th of April. All the restaurants in three different locations had been pre-booked and inaccessible! It is the beginning of the First Holy Communion time for Polish Catholic children now. The "First Communion" parties have become more popular than weddings! Families spend good money to make the First Communion party as impressive/expensive as a wedding! I do not approve that craze but cannot help it. We had to stop at the Bednary Brewery and enjoy simple but tasty food. Kiełbasa, of course! And good ale. (Ania is a vegan and was happy with a big portion of chips/French Fries).

1682989841951.png

Ania crossing a wooden gangway over River Rawka at full speed :)

Now... Ania is a roadie and she's in great shape (she actually pedalled for 144 km on that day and was ready for a 200 km ride!) However, the other friend seemed to have lost her good form and could only ride slowly. Therefore, I had to decrease the assistance ridiculously low and pedal on my own leg power! Believe or not but my Vado SL only used 50.5% of the main 302* Wh battery charge for the entire 74 km ride!
-------
*) Already degraded from 320 Wh.

Last edited:
Now that the rains have eased up, finally managing to get out some. Took my trusty steed down to the Mississippi to see if there's any flooding in our section.

52863649995_ba586e36a2_c.jpg

This is at the Ford Lock & Dam in Minneapolis. The lock doesn't operate anymore, so it's an easy place to visit with no traffic. I was glad to have a powerful motor on my bike for this run as it's a pretty big hill to get back up from the lock.

52863649990_ecd0e7c769_c.jpg

Although the water is high and quite fierce here, river is still in its banks. I think there's flooding a few more miles downstream.

David Bowie - Warszawa
I apologise for a big number of photos in this post.

David Bowie's train was stopped on his Moscow trip in Warsaw Gdańska station for several hours in 1976. The artist having a valid passport that time (unlike in 1973) had an opportunity to walk up the (then) Paris Commune (now T.W. Wilson) Square. There, he could listen to an exciting song "Helokanie" ("Helloing") by the Śląsk Folk Choir at a record store. He bought the album, and the very song inspired his vocal parts of the "Warszawa" from the "Low" album (made together with Brian Eno). Warsaw must have been a totally depressing city at that time (I confirm it myself; it was!) to inspire the British artist making probably the saddest piece of his repertoire!

Warsaw has totally changed since, and my plan was to prove it by taking a Vado 6.0 ride from my place through the King's Road of Warsaw. The funny detail was I had planned a Metric Century to be ridden on a single 533 Wh battery... :)

1682995650428.png

In the New Town of Warsaw. That beautiful place is not frequented by most of tourists. See the group of art students vigorously sketching the view of the square! Any tourist present there respectfully removed themselves aside as not to obscure the view! :)

1682995947750.png

Because of the big crowd, I had to ride towards the Old Town at a walking speed!
Top: The picturesque Freta Street (full of restaurants).
Bottom: The Warsaw Barbican.

A historical note
As many of you know, Warsaw was almost totally razed down to the ground by the Nazi in 1944 (as an act of revenge for the Warsaw Uprising of the same year). That gave the post-war architects the unique chance to recreate the Old (and New) Town based on historical pictures, paintings, plans to make it nicer than it was before WW2! Before that war, the Old Town was an ugly dilapidated Jewish quarter. After the war, the architects thought it would be a great idea to reconstruct the 1548 Warsaw Barbican (not existing pre-war). Reconstructing the Old Town was an improbably difficult and highly commendable work! (For instance, the Nowomiejska Street was shifted by 10 metres to give a natural entry to the Barbican).

1682996467576.png

The Warsaw Mermaid of the Old Town in the Old Town Square.

See the couple in the photo? Let it be my sweet revenge! :D She was taking selfies of herself, and he was looking for a selfie-stick in his backpack. Eventually, he was ready with his camera and stick but they seemed to be willing to stay there forever! Once I realised they were English speakers, I approached them and politely and with my best English explained that:
  • They didn't own that place
  • It took them many minutes to totally occupy the view
  • They should respect other people
  • I could not take the photo (which would take me only several seconds) because I waited for them to remove themselves...
Believe or not but the photo I have just shown turned out to be the best take of the Mermaid scene! :D

1682996977447.png

A 1646 bell in the Kanonia Street. Reportedly, the bell was cast by a young bell-founder Daniel Tym but his product turned out to be defective and the customer refused buying it. The bell is heavily cracked but it is one of the tourist attractions of the Old Town.

1682997270514.png

The 1644 Column of King Sigismund III of Vasa in the Castle Square (by the Royal Castle). That Swedish elected King of Poland moved the country's capital from Cracow to Warsaw in 1596. The monument is the first column of a secular person erected in modern Europe (the next secular statue was erected in Paris only in 1810; the Nelson's Column was erected in London in 1843).

1682997696557.png

The 1944 destruction of Warsaw let the post-war architects design better traffic solutions than existed pre-war. They planned so-called East-West Route as seen here. Part of the Royal Castle on the left and part of the St. Anna Church visible on the right. I still can remember the times when there was no Castle whatsoever (it was reconstructed only in 1974).

1682998028402.png

The Academic Church of St. Anna marks the beginning of King's Road of Warsaw (a must-see). You can climb the bell-tower for stunning view of Old Town!

1682998141718.png

Krakowskie Przedmieście (Cracow Suburb) is the first part of the King's Road. The statue of our greatest poet Adam Mickiewicz (a Polish Lithuanian/Belarussian; hence the "poet of three nations") visible on the left.

1682998297842.png

The statue of Józef Piłsudski, The First Marshal of Poland, or our greatest military leader. The square was formerly known as the Victory Square and it is now Piłsudski Sq., so we old Warsawers call the place "The Square of the Victory of Józef Piłsudski" :D

1682998485737.png

Our long May holiday (The International Labour Day of May 1st and the Poland's May 3rd 1793 Constitution Day) is marked with many high-profile concerts. I have no slightest idea who that well rounded dame was but she sang wonderfully, and was backed up by a fantastically good rock band. Judging by the enthusiastic reaction of the crowd, the singer must have been a very well known person! (They would not let Ms. Nobody sing in the King's Road on our national holiday!) :D

1682999026568.png

The University of Warsaw, established 1816.

1682999138490.png

The Academy of Fine Arts of Warsaw, established 1844.

1682999216157.png

The Cracow Suburb ends with the Staszic Palace (now, the Polish Academy of Science) fronted by a statue of Copernicus. It is said Jesus Christ in the statue on the right points towards the next street Nowy Świat (New World).

1682999373652.png

The most elegant street of Warsaw, The New World. Traffic is banned from both Cracow Suburb and New World whenever huge influx of pedestrians is expected.

1682999489945.png

The Embassy of the United States of America, Aleje Ujazdowskie (part of King's Road). Mark Brzezinski (the son of Zbigniew Brzezinski) is the current U.S. Ambassador. He is a very popular person and can speak some Polish! (The Embassy of Canada is nearby, nearer to the Parliament).

1682999832615.png

Łazienki Królewskie (Royal Baths of Warsaw) is another must-see. I had no time, so I only pictured the Frederic Chopin statue (he is traditionally pictured as sitting under a Mazovian willow).

1682999995297.png

The King's Road ends at the Royal Palace of Wilanów (Villa Nova). As you might understand, some fortunate Polish Kings could travel from the Royal Castle to Royal Baths, then to Belvedere (not shown) and eventually take a rest in Villa Nova! :)

1683000142087.png

I got hungry, and my smartphone needed some fodder, too! :) I rode southwards to the quarter of Ursynów to my favourite Bella Napoli restaurant. I got that Pizza Pugliese in just several minutes! (I left the friendly waiter a good tip!)

1683000282610.png

(Beer, perhaps?) Now I was at the southernmost outskirt of Warsaw (Kabaty) and had to enter that craft beer store for some ales and imperial stouts! :)

1683000389357.png

It was an intentionally long return ride home (50 km). I felt spent so I stopped "At the Girls" for a good Mocha. 20 km left to reach home!

The idea of riding the Vado on a 533 Wh battery was intentional. I used the Smart Control feature of Specialized Mission Control app. My instruction was: "I want to ride for 105 km with the elevation gain of 200 m, and I expect to return home with 5% battery left"...

1683000634436.png

It turned out to be a 101 km ride with 227 m of elevation gain, and I reached home with 9% of the battery left. The price was the automatically set assistance was only 25% for most of the ride! Yet another good workout... :)

David Bowie's inspiration. A song by Stanisław Hadyna.

David Bowie - Warszawa

Last edited:
David Bowie - Warszawa

Warsaw has totally changed since, and my plan was to prove it by taking a Vado 6.0 ride from my place through the King's Road of Warsaw....

I used the Smart Control feature of Specialized Mission Control app. My instruction was: "I want to ride for 105 km with the elevation gain of 200 m, and I expect to return home with 5% battery left"...

Wonderful ride/project combo! Enjoyed the tour.

I know nothing about Mission Control, but I'm quite impressed that you can guve it that kind of instruction and get a result as close as you did.

I assume that it also has pastry-seeking capability. ;^}

I assume that it also has pastry-seeking capability. ;^}
No, that would be RideWithGPS :D

Now, let me tell you a story.

1683022791320.png

The part of Warsaw on the left bank of the Vistula is mostly located on a pretty high "Warsaw Escarpment" while the Royal Palace is almost level with the river. I stayed for private affairs in Warsaw's Ursynów for a few days in mid April this year. Once, I had to go to a big supermarket in Wilanów for Nespresso capsules, so I rented a Lime e-scooter for the ride. Upon my return, it turned out the climbs on the bike path were so steep the scooter could hardly move! And its battery got flat 100 m to the last climb summit! Growling with dissatisfaction, I walked up to the next scooter. The battery of the latter went flat before I reached my destination! :D

On the May 1st Vado ride, I had to do those climbs again. With 25% assistance it was not an easy thing to do even in low gears! :D Only then I realised why the e-scooter had to struggle there! (I estimate the grade to 4.4% or more there).

Last edited:
I rode into Liverpool to see the preparations for Eurovision and Ive jumped the gun a bit , only a few inflatables and a couple of bus stop signs.

IMG_20230502_122325757_HDR.jpg

Chock full of Koreans and Americans.
Nice inflatabe Earth, it was on a pulley of some kind and moved around, when it cames towards you it looked so weird, like it was growing.
IMG_20230502_120144074_HDR.jpg

I went on the wheel later in the day, I dont do heights and it all got a bit hairy when it stopped at the top and starting swaying in the wind.
I didnt take a photo because I was getting a bit panicky and couldnt bring myself to put the gopro down and pull out my phone, it was very strange and I seem to be getting worse with age.

IMG_20230502_115419819_HDR.jpg

This is inside the Beatles shop, its amazing to me they can still sell this stuff 60 years on, its a very certain type of man bun American you see in there.
You also end up with Beatles songs drilled into your head, I was singing Here comes the Sun..all day.
IMG_20230502_115319458.jpg

I have no idea what these are meant be, but they must be part of Eurovision in some way.
IMG_20230502_121557106_HDR.jpg

Obligatory US school bus diner.
IMG_20230502_141818007_HDR.jpg

Liverpool has changed so much in my lifetime, these docks used to be abandoned and full of mud up to the railings, they were not even fenced off and the homeless would doss in them.
The amount of high rises that have gone up, entire streets demolished, multistory shopping districts built over them, all the docks up the river are now trendy marine centres with expensive apartment blocks.
The one I was interested in has been filled in and apartments built over it.
It was where the last confederate flag was surrendered on the CSS Shenandoah and she was eventually scrapped where she lay.
The city is trying to distance itself a bit now, but did actually welcome the sons of confederate veterans a few years ago for a visit to various plaques and graves.
IMG_20230502_115523665_HDR.jpg

Anyway, no politics..
No matter how old 😄

I rode into Liverpool to see the preparations for Eurovision and Ive jumped the gun a bit , only a few inflatables and a couple of bus stop signs.

View attachment 152831

Chock full of Koreans and Americans.
Nice inflatabe Earth, it was on a pulley of some kind and moved around, when it cames towards you it looked so weird, like it was growing.
View attachment 152832

I went on the wheel later in the day, I dont do heights and it all got a bit hairy when it stopped at the top and starting swaying in the wind.
I didnt take a photo because I was getting a bit panicky and couldnt bring myself to put the gopro down and pull out my phone, it was very strange and I seem to be getting worse with age.

View attachment 152833

This is inside the Beatles shop, its amazing to me they can still sell this stuff 60 years on, its a very certain type of man bun American you see in there.
You also end up with Beatles songs drilled into your head, I was singing Here comes the Sun..all day.
View attachment 152834

I have no idea what these are meant be, but they must be part of Eurovision in some way.
View attachment 152836

Obligatory US school bus diner.
View attachment 152837

Liverpool has changed so much in my lifetime, these docks used to be abandoned and full of mud up to the railings, they were not even fenced off and the homeless would doss in them.
The amount of high rises that have gone up, entire streets demolished, multistory shopping districts built over them, all the docks up the river are now trendy marine centres with expensive apartment blocks.
The one I was interested in has been filled in and apartments built over it.
It was where the last confederate flag was surrendered on the CSS Shenandoah and she was eventually scrapped where she lay.
The city is trying to distance itself a bit now, but did actually welcome the sons of confederate veterans a few years ago for a visit to various plaques and graves.
View attachment 152838

Anyway, no politics..
No matter how old 😄
That's one big bird. :)

From Komin to Modlin
A 75 mile ride

We Poles celebrate the May 3rd 1791 Constitution Day, and that is the merriest of all the hols we have. As a song lyrics read: "Welcome, o May Dawn! Shed light onto our Polish land! We'll welcome you with a song while partying and drinking wine! Vivat May! Third of May! It's the Poland's paradise! Vivat May! Third of May! Vivat great Kołłątaj!" (Hugo Kołłątaj was the author of our Constitution, and was a person as important as James Madison was to the U.S. one).

1683178399633.png

Hugo Kołłątaj (1750-1812) a.k.a. Anonymous or One Citizen.

I decided to set off for a ride to cheer my old friend with some material gifts, as he is now in an institution far north off my Komin (The Smokestack). It gave me an opportunity for a long and interesting ride! Only there was very cold NW wind! I regretted not taking a balaclava with me!

1683178859125.png

I deliberately took a long route. Stopped for a short rest in the village of Kampinos; that village was established by Mennonite settlers (Holländers or Hauländers), and it gave its name to the huge National Park. My route led through the western part of the KPN only by roads. I appeared at the friend 13:00 sharp, as promised! Then I rode straight to Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki and Modlin. That part was 58 km.

1683179181935.png

The confluence of the Narew (foreground) and the Vistula (background).

1683179252636.png

The Granary-on-the-Narew.

A historical note
After the construction of Modlin Fortress (the point I was taking those photos from) was completed, the Bank of Poland (in the partition occupied by Russia) invested in a huge granary at the confluence of Narew and Vistula rivers. The beautiful neo-Renaissance granary started operating in 1844. Only in 1853, the building was bought out by the Russian military for naval purposes, and remained in that role by the WW2 (also in the 2nd Republic of Poland). During the WW2, the wing of the Granary was bombed and later dismantled for brick, so you can only see 2/3 of the original. In recent years, the property was bought by a careless investor, and that beautiful building is doomed to collapse one day. It is possible to do an illegal hike on the peninsula for better views, and actually I and friend took that risk several years ago (taking stunning pictures).

1683179822616.png

The Modlin Fortress. I had to climb as many as 27 steep steps to take the middle photo! :) The Red Tower (a popular ticketed viewpoint) can be seen in the bottom photo.

A historical note
The confluence of two big rivers nearby Warsaw was a strategically important place. Already during the Napoleonic Wars, the first part of the fortress was built by the French, used for combat during the Polish Uprising of 1831 against Russia, and was eventually expanded to a huge fortress by the Russian military in years 1832-1841 as the Neogeorgievsk Fortress. It depended on the ring of external fortifications while the central part called the Citadel contained enormous barracks. Enough to say the line of the barracks is 2,250 metres long, making it one of the largest barracks known. It could host twenty thousand of soldiers! Now, it is understandable why the Granary was built afterwards: The military needed food and fodder!

1683180465882.png

It looks like the year the barracks were completed.

1683180529469.png

A contemporary mural. The officer wearing a Polish Uhlan uniform must be a General.

1683180655838.png

A railway bridge over the Narew. Any train travelling between Warsaw and Gdańsk must cross that bridge! The road bridge is hidden behind. The dual bridge is named in the honour of Lt. Feliks Pancer, a military engineer who built the first bridge over the Narew there in 1820s.

1683180903799.png

Modlin is a military town until this day. Here, a military museum.

1683180960964.png

Back to the Fortress. One of two gates designed to evacuate several thousand of people in very short time, in case of danger.

1683181050348.png

Warsaw Modlin International (WMI), the second of Warsaw airports (the other being Frederic Chopin WAW), the home of Warsaw Ryanair. Small is beautiful. You never wait for the security check, border control or baggage there. However, WMI is a distant airport. Therefore, a fast train, coaches, cars, cabs and rental cars are used by the passengers to get in and out.

My 517 Wh Vado battery was good for 65 km (40 mi) for riding against the headwind at 40% assistance. I swapped it for the 533 Wh one there, changed the assistance to 35%, and happily set off for the return ride with tailwind.

1683181471576.png

The view from the road bridge over the Narew. Granary (left), motorway bridge over the Vistula (centre) and the White Tower (right).

1683181613904.png

The historical (1911) Marshal Józef Piłsudski Bridge over the Vistula. The pedestrian gangways are as narrow as it is virtually impossible to ride a bike there. For that reason, I crossed that bridge twice with traffic, sprinting :)

A Great Story!
There are immense roadworks on the S7 expressway now. I had to take a long detour and almost lost my planned way back! After I did my route replanning at some stop and rode off for perhaps 2 km away, I could see a car approaching from the opposite side, stopping, the driver getting off, making a hand signal and shouting "HALT!" I stopped and then he asked me: "Are you Mr. Mikulski?" Totally surprised, I managed "Yes, it's me. Do we know each other?" to which he signalled to his wife who handed my backpack to me! As it turned out, they were riding behind me, noticed I left the backpack on the road, collected it, and chased me using shortcuts I was not aware of. Meanwhile, the wife found my wallet and the ID. What a blessing! They saved my day, and the wallet with documents, bank cards and money! There are good people in Poland...

1683182365055.png

To make my return less boring, I chose riding through the Eastern KPN, which was actually very silly of me! There is mostly deep sand and tree-roots there! As you are moving North-South, you need to negotiate numerous steep sand dunes, with the approaches mostly consisting of what? SAND and TREE-ROOTS! Eventually, I met an extremely steep sand dune that exceeded my skill! So I walked the Vado up the dune in Walk Mode. To discover Wahoo changed its decision and "said" to me: 'You fool! You should not have climbed that dune but rather take a turn left before!' :D It made me really irritated! :D

1683182678909.png

After I got back to the civilisation, I rode up the Biker Pub one hour before the closing. The only food they had and I wanted was Spinach Pierogi. I was so hungry... Normally, it would be just 14 km home but no, I wanted an achievement! So I took a detour to make at least 75 miles... Returned home exactly at the sunset! And trust me, it was already cold...

1683183034740.png

Exploring Modlin.

1683183099874.png

My 75+ mile ride of 3rd of May 2023. The WMI and WAW airports marked in the map.

Necessary to mention, I was well prepared for the ride, and was totally surprised and felt no pain or any aches on the return. The experience matters! :)

@Jeremy McCreary: Have you noticed there was no cake or a dessert on that day? :)
@RabH: I know what you would say about the elevation gain :D The only elevation gain I got was climbing the sand dunes! :D
@Chargeride: You would be delighted to ride the East KPN! :D

Last edited:
Back