2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

There was a welcome invasion twenty years ago of polish women who dressed like the Spice girls with equal levels of girl power.
Most of them still dress like that around here.
Im constantly crashing the van.

I apologise for my sexist remarks.

Carlsbad Superbloom Tour

Thanks to our unusually wet winter, SoCal is now bonkers with wildflowers. The Carlsbad area near my home is awash in bright yellow with purple accents, as you'll see. Though not a "superbloom" in the techical sense, that's what everyone's calling it, and so will I. Per NASA's Earth Observatory, the true superblooms of orange poppies in our eastern deserts are even visible from space:
poppieszm_oli_202397.jpg

This afternoon, I rode 19 mi with over 1,000 ft of climbing just to immerse myself in the local color. Up first was an explosion of yellow in a public open space about 4 mi up the Coast Highway. I often pass it on coast rides to the north. The next 5 shots were from the single-track around this large field.

20230424_141101.jpg

As Jerry Lee Lewis might have put it, there's a whole lotta yellow goin' on here. The Coast Highway runs between the end of this trail and the sea cliffs overlooking the Pacific in the distance.

20230424_141432.jpg

The yellow flowers were nearly seat-high in most places but head-high in some.

20230424_141807.jpg

To the right of this part of the trail is a public vegetable garden known locally as the Tomato Patch.

20230424_142523.jpg

Sorry, don't have flower names for you. The dominant yellow flowers are daisy-like with occasional white variants mixed in. The purples vaguely resemble Queen Ann's lace.

UPDATE: Per the PictureThis plant ID app, the yellows are crown daisies, and the purples, sea lavender.

Unfortunately, all that yellow comes with a catch: The crown daisy is an invasive species here. And it's winning. Stay tuned for The Daisies That Devoured Carlsbad!

20230424_143434.jpg

The pale yellows and pinks of the ice plant flowers on the slope on the right would normally have been a nice show but just couldn't compete visually.

On a tip from my wife, I then headed south and east to Saxony Creek and its steep canyon across Bataquitos Lagoon from our house.

20230424_152752.jpg

Granted, the canyon walls are MUCH greener than usual now. But compared to the first stop, the wildflower colors were just so-so.

Since I was already in the canyon, climbed to the top just for the fun ride back down. My daily rides are paying off — much easier than when I first rode up this 6% to 10% grade at PAS 1/9 four months ago.

The route home took me back to the northbound Coast Highway, where the next 2 shots were taken.

20230424_155441.jpg

The sea lavender seems to like roadsides and fence lines.

20230424_155415.jpg

Below the road was another yellow explosion, this time on either side of the railroad tracks. Time to hit the rail service road for one last immersion.

20230424_155958.jpg

Another crown daisy takeover. The two-mile service road to Poinsettia Station could one day become part of the continuous "rail trail" planned for coastal San Diego County. For now, it's posted "NO TRESPASSING" — not that anyone pays any attention. From the station, it was another 3 miles home.

Last edited:
1682444750426.png

A lovely day for a bike ride despite the chill, Spring will come eventually...light winds today so it didn't really feel that cold! I took to the back roads again with the intention of heading south to Rigside, as I passed through Yieldshields I spotted these gorgeous young goats and had to get some photos! :D

1682445350257.png

A couple of miles later and I came across these beautiful Alpacas, I'm sure they weren't feeling the cold!;)

1682445493787.png

My bike was feeling left out so...

1682445625194.png

I was heading for the outskirts of Lanark, I didn't want to go through the town so took the quieter road through Carstairs and headed down to Hyndford Bridge! I grabbed these photos and heard a rather noisy motorbike coming across the bridge!

1682445941988.png

1682445995084.png

It turned out to be a rather nice trike!

1682446083060.png

I joined the A70 from Lanark to Rigside and used the convenient cycle path at first until I came across a flood and wasn't sure how deep it was, so I decided not to chance it and took to the road instead, it turned out the path finished a few hundred yards later anyway...its a nice road to ride and has lovely views all around!

1682446399943.png

I tried a couple of panorama images here!

1682446637832.png

1682446818545.png

The road is pretty much like this all the way from Lanark to Rigside, so enjoyable especially when the sun is shining!

1682447057958.png

I reached Rigside and started heading north to Lesmahagow, there is a very good cycle path all the way here which was a no brainer with many trucks heading up this road to a local service station! I spotted a roadie using the same road as the trucks, at first its a dual carriageway but turns into a single carriageway further up! He was a fit guy because he pulled away from me up the hill, a few minutes later I spotted him on the cycle path...very wise move! ;)

Just before Lesmahagow I took the back road through Brocketsbrae which takes you down into the Clyde Valley at Kirkfieldbank! Its a bit of a climb at first but then a lovely descent down to the valley! This is part way down the descent with Lanark in the distance!

1682447692892.png

I reached the bottom of the descent and stayed on the Clyde Valley road all the way to Crossford where I would cross the bridge over the River Clyde and start the brutal climb up towards Braidwood, not before grabbing a couple of photos of the river of course!

1682447995181.png

1682448064840.png

I battled up the climb using level 3 assist as I had lots of juice left thanks to the light winds, turning off at the back road to Carluke before using the main road for a few miles before joining the quiet back roads back home without any incidents! This was actally my 4th metric century in a row, I would have made it an imperial century but I was busy in the morning so didn't have time today! Another awesome ride in the Scottish countryside, can't wait for some warmer weather though and hopefully an imperial century will be on the cards soon!

Attachments

• elevation_profile159.jpg
    elevation_profile159.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 63
  • trip-119022866-map-full159.png
    trip-119022866-map-full159.png
    416.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230425_133147.jpg
    20230425_133147.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230425_133854.jpg
    20230425_133854.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230425_135539.jpg
    20230425_135539.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230425_135652.jpg
    20230425_135652.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230425_144820.jpg
    20230425_144820.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230425_145301.jpg
    20230425_145301.jpg
    750 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230425_145311.jpg
    20230425_145311.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
The wife tells me it's sea lavender.
Many thanks! Funny, zillions of hits on WHERE to see SoCal wildflowers now but very little on WHICH flowers you'll actually see there. Our thumb-worn guide to North American wildflowers has been no help. And not seeing any of the Colorado wildflowers we learned in our time there.

Time to find a good SoCal wildflower book.

Many thanks! Funny, zillions of hits on WHERE to see SoCal wildflowers now but very little on WHICH flowers you'll actually see there. Our thumb-worn guide to North American wildflowers has been no help. And not seeing any of the Colorado wildflowers we learned in our time there.

Although I hate to mention it, but "there's an app for that" too. You point your smartphone at a plant and it tells you about it. I don't remember the name, but google and ye shall find. Not for me, but you might like it.

She certainly has a keen eye for anything remotely horticultural in nature and I absolutely trust her judgement in these matters. That being said, she’s been wrong before. ;)

The short season here in central AB hampers her ability to find hardy perennials outside of our gardening zone 3 but she continues to push the limits and I admire her for that. You folks are so blessed to be able to celebrate and take joy in the vibrant blooms of those SoCal wildflowers.

She certainly has a keen eye for anything remotely horticultural in nature and I absolutely trust her judgement in these matters. That being said, she’s been wrong before. ;)

The short season here in central AB hampers her ability to find hardy perennials outside of our gardening zone 3 but she continues to push the limits and I admire her for that. You folks are so blessed to be able to celebrate and take joy in the vibrant blooms of those SoCal wildflowers.
Blessed is right. Huge fan of color wherever I find it — flowers, animals, art, you name it — and right now, it's everywhere! Not just the wildflowers. The gardens and parks are going crazy with color, too. Ditto for the Carlsbad Flower Fields, our local flower farm. Our recent visit was an immersive color experience I'll never forget.

May all your wife's gardening dreams come true!

Last edited:
View attachment 152378

A lovely day for a bike ride despite the chill, Spring will come eventually...light winds today so it didn't really feel that cold! I took to the back roads again with the intention of heading south to Rigside, as I passed through Yieldshields I spotted these gorgeous young goats and had to get some phoots! :D

View attachment 152379
So many questions - what do the goats inspect underground? Do they use the kids to inspect the tight spots? Pretty sure kid labor is illegal in our country.

Seriously though, great ride. I marvel at your consistency - 100km, 4000+ feet of climbing ~16.5mph average +-.3mph.

Although I hate to mention it, but "there's an app for that" too. You point your smartphone at a plant and it tells you about it. I don't remember the name, but google and ye shall find. Not for me, but you might like it.
Thanks for reminding me! Wife had PictureThis for a while when we were fine-tuning our landscaping in Denver in 2019. Truly amazing app. She eventually dropped it due to the monthly fee, but maybe it's time to re-up for a few months.

Besides the wildflowers, we're working on a new garden in SoCal now. Some amazing gardens and parks with lots of unfamiliar exotic-looking plants around here. Often find ouselves wondering, "Wow, what's that?! Maybe it could work for us."

Last edited:
So many questions - what do the goats inspect underground? Do they use the kids to inspect the tight spots? Pretty sure kid labor is illegal in our country.

Seriously though, great ride. I marvel at your consistency - 100km, 4000+ feet of climbing ~16.5mph average +-.3mph.
Consistency is the key, I'm very fortunate as I am able to ride all year round which keeps my fitness at a decent level! Thank you!

Back