2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Although I hate to mention it, but "there's an app for that" too. You point your smartphone at a plant and it tells you about it. I don't remember the name, but google and ye shall find. Not for me, but you might like it.
Please tell your wife that PictureThis agrees with her about the sea lavender. The yellow flowers are crown daisies. Updating the ride post accordingly.

Carlsbad Superbloom Tour

Thanks to our unusually wet winter, SoCal is now bonkers with wildflowers. The Carlsbad area near my home is awash in bright yellow with purple accents, as you'll see. Though not a "superbloom" in the techical sense, that's what everyone's calling it, and so will I. Per NASA's Earth Observatory, the true superblooms of orange poppies in our eastern deserts are even visible from space:
View attachment 152368

This afternoon, I rode 19 mi with over 1,000 ft of climbing just to immerse myself in the local color. Up first was an explosion of yellow in a public open space about 4 mi up the Coast Highway. I often pass it on coast rides to the north. The next 5 shots were from the single-track around this large field.

View attachment 152356
As Jerry Lee Lewis might have put it, there's a whole lotta yellow goin' on here. The Coast Highway runs between the end of this trail and the sea cliffs overlooking the Pacific in the distance.

View attachment 152358
The yellow flowers were nearly seat-high in most places but head-high in some.

View attachment 152359
To the right of this part of the trail is a public vegetable garden known locally as the Tomato Patch.

View attachment 152360

Sorry, don't have flower names for you. The dominant yellow flowers are daisy-like with occasional white variants mixed in. The purples vaguely resemble Queen Ann's lace.

UPDATE: Per the PictureThis plant ID app, the yellows are crown daisies, and the purples, sea lavender.

Unfortunately, all that yellow comes with a catch: The crown daisy is an invasive species here. And it's winning. Stay tuned for The Daisies That Devoured Carlsbad!

View attachment 152361
The pale yellows and pinks of the ice plant flowers on the slope on the right would normally have been a nice show but just couldn't compete visually.

On a tip from my wife, I then headed south and east to Saxony Creek and its steep canyon across Bataquitos Lagoon from our house.

View attachment 152363
Granted, the canyon walls are MUCH greener than usual now. But compared to the first stop, the wildflower colors were just so-so.

Since I was already in the canyon, climbed to the top just for the fun ride back down. My daily rides are paying off — much easier than when I first rode up this 6% to 10% grade at PAS 1/9 four months ago.

The route home took me back to the northbound Coast Highway, where the next 2 shots were taken.

View attachment 152365
The sea lavender seems to like roadsides and fence lines.

View attachment 152366
Below the road was another yellow explosion, this time on either side of the railroad tracks. Time to hit the rail service road for one last immersion.

View attachment 152367
Another crown daisy takeover. The two-mile service road to Poinsettia Station could one day become part of the continuous "rail trail" planned for coastal San Diego County. For now, it's posted "NO TRESPASSING" — not that anyone pays any attention. From the station, it was another 3 miles home.
nice but to put that into perspective for me - all we are hoping for in our neck of the woods in the foothills of southern Alberta is to spot the first lowly glimpse of a crocus, one crocus - it is a yearly competition between Charl and I and we are several weeks behind schedule - even the bees are swarming our pasture lands looking for some sweet nectar from the dandelion which amazingly has yet to surface - and the bees would be happy with an invasive species instead of my hair, huh, I can't stop returning and returning to your flower pics!

I took to the back roads again with the intention of heading south to Rigside, as I passed through Yieldshields I spotted these gorgeous young goats and had to get some photos! :D

View attachment 152379
Be VERY careful around baby goats. They can be used for mind control.

We once stopped at a highly recommended burger place attached to a farm open to the public. The line was long and growing but barely moving. A cheerful young woman kept coming out to apologize. A grill was out, she said.

After another 20 minutes with little progress, people in line started to bail. And that's when they brought out the big guns — a dozen baby goats eager to be petted.

In an instant, everyone in line had forgotten all about burgers. All anyone could say was, "Awwwwwww!" and "Oh my god, they're so cute!!!" over and over and over.

No one else left. Total mind control through mass oxytocin release.

Last edited:
Be VERY careful around baby goats. They can be used for mind control.

We once stopped at a highly recommended burger place attached to a farm open to the public. The line was long and growing but barely moving. A cheerful young woman kept coming out to apologize. A grill was out, she said.

After another 20 minutes with little progress, people in line started to bail. And that's when they brought out the big guns — a dozen baby goats eager to be petted.

In an instant, everyone in line had forgotten all about burgers. All anyone could say was, "Awwwwwww!" and "Oh my god, they're so cute!!!" over and over and over.

No one else left. Total mind control through mass oxytocin release.
So... were the burgers the...
Wait for it...

GOAT?

Be VERY careful around baby goats. They can be used for mind control. All anyone could say was, "Awwwwwww!" and "Oh my god, they're so cute!!!" over and over and over.
Even cute kids can’t resist cute kids.

IMG_20210718_1303302.jpg

IMG_20210718_1323302.jpg

The local municipality brings in several hundred goats as a sustainable way to manage the baaad invasive weeds on the crown land beside the Piper Creek community garden plots where we grow and harvest our vegetables. They enjoy munching on Canada thistle as the main dish with a side of toadflax.

IMG_20210718_1302305.jpg

Even cute kids can’t resist cute kids.

View attachment 152478
View attachment 152479

The local municipality brings in several hundred goats as a sustainable way to manage the baaad invasive weeds on the crown land beside the Piper Creek community garden plots where we grow and harvest our vegetables. They enjoy munching on Canada thistle as the main dish with a side of toadflax.

View attachment 152480
A friend used to raise goats. We used to take then our Christmas tree every year after the season. They ate it like after dinner mints.

Eurovision-768x404.png

Well Eurovision starts next week, my home city is hosting it instead of Ukraine.
Going to be level10 security, but were going to ride down there and take some pics.
I think its a foregone conclusion Ukraine will win

2_featureimage.jpg

images (1).jpeg

So dont forget to tune in and watch all the European countries...and Israel...
vote each other down for something that happened a 100 years ago 😂.

Tour de Dessert :)

As the Poland's Long Weekend (April 29th - May 3rd) has just started, I did not want to waste the Saturday. First, I rode to the CentrumRowerowe.pl LBS in Warsaw (near to the Chopin Airport WAW). I wanted to buy some bibs, to find none in my size (you cannot try any clothes at that store, which is rather discouraging to do any purchase there). I selected two inner tubes and chain oil just to return the items as it turned out there was a very long queue to the three cash registers!

1682819096180.png

1682819140382.png

As I left the store, I met a happy new owner of a Hercules SUV e-bike! You have probably never heard of Hercules, which is a respected German brand. The e-bike was equipped with:
  • Shimano EP8 mid-drive motor
  • A 630 Wh battery
  • Full suspension (Rockshox)
  • 12-speed MTB drivetrain
  • 32-spoke wheels
  • Schwalbe Johnny Watts tyres
  • A sturdy rear rack (25 kg rated)
  • Lighting.
The guy got a good discount first (from US$6,000 down to 5,000). He got an expensive POC helmet as a bonus, and he also bought Ortlieb panniers. I congratulated the man on his purchase, explained to him what an excellent e-bike he's just bought (and why). I helped him adjust the headlight, told him how he should remove the battery, and he happily set off for his first ride (later, I caught up with the guy to say hello again!)

Then, I rode for another 33 km to see my daughter.

1682819838590.png

We were so happy together!

1682819937960.png

Then, I landed in Klimatyczna Cafe for the advertised "yum yum dessert" :D It was yum yum indeed! :D Met some roadies who had already ridden for 120 km on the day and had a chat with them there!

Eventually, I rode to a BP service station in Pruszków to buy me the rare brand of cigarettes I enjoy :) Another 84 km (50+ mi) :)

Last edited:
Warm and windy conditions have all but melted any trace of snow on the single tracks so it seemed like a good opportunity to hit all of my favorite trails.

Web capture_30-4-2023_9410_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Web capture_30-4-2023_94230_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

It’s been 8 months since my last ride at the local mtb park and I was stoked to refamiliarize myself with every tight twist, turn and root on the singles out there.

The Central Alberta MTB Club's loop around the park is recommended to be ridden clockwise but I like the challenge it presents when the direction is reversed.

PXL_20230428_164717000.jpg

VID_20230428_095407_00_102 - frame at 0m45s.jpg

VID_20230428_100047_00_103 - frame at 0m47s.jpg
PXL_20230428_165933584.jpg

No way Jose! 😨

PXL_20230428_170003302.jpg

PXL_20230428_165327977.jpg

After logging close to 40km involving five separate trail heads on the Levo, I joined my wife for a 20km analog ride along paved country roads. Pretty mellow in comparison to my ride earlier on.

GH011882 - frame at 2m15s.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday’s ride involved a 40km springtime shake down of bikes and gear as we hit the road to test out new racks and panniers that will be used on feature rides this summer.

Tailfin makes superb ultralight touring/bike packing products and the quality is evident. Our Creos have been transformed into full on touring bikes and we’ll continue riding with them fully loaded to get accustomed to the additional weight.

GH011888 - frame at 0m0s.jpg

GH011888 - frame at 1m36s.jpg

PXL_20230429_185317780.jpg

PXL_20230429_185305895.jpg

PXL_20230429_185342523.jpgPXL_20230429_185348220.jpg

Last edited:
Warm and windy conditions have all but melted any trace of snow on the single tracks so it seemed like a good opportunity to hit all of my favorite trails.

View attachment 152658
View attachment 152659

It’s been 8 months since my last ride at the local mtb park and I was stoked to refamiliarize myself with every tight twist, turn and root on the singles out there.

The Central Alberta MTB Club's loop around the park is recommended to be ridden clockwise but I like the challenge it presents when the direction is reversed.

View attachment 152652
View attachment 152656
View attachment 152657
View attachment 152654
No way Jose! 😨

View attachment 152655
View attachment 152653
After logging close to 40km involving five separate trail heads on the Levo, I joined my wife for a 20km analog ride along paved country roads. Pretty mellow in comparison to my ride earlier on.

View attachment 152661
What an awesome trail!

View attachment 152658
View attachment 152659

View attachment 152652
View attachment 152656
View attachment 152657
View attachment 152654
No way Jose! 😨

View attachment 152655
View attachment 152653

View attachment 152661
Love that trail name "Can of Worms"! Is it?

Expected to see mud there in late April. The snowier parts of Colorado have 5 seasons — the usual four plus Mud Season between spring and summer.

What an awesome trail!
It ain’t Whistler or Squamish but serves the small mtb crowd here quite well. I would really like to extend my rides outside of the local trails here by joining another group of riders based out of Calgary but their outings tend to be short on notice and would involve a long day of driving to get to the trail heads.

Love that trail name "Can of Worms"! Is it?

Expected to see mud there in late April. The snowier parts of Colorado have 5 seasons — the usual four plus Mud Season between spring and summer.
What I know for sure is that I would end up being worm fodder if I ever attempted that diamond trail. 😵

So far, we’ve had no rain which has led to parched looking lawns and gardens. No where near what it was like at this point in time last spring. I do hope that the skies open up with the exception of the month of June which coincides with many of our road rides.

Hercules, yes never heard of them

View attachment 152658
View attachment 152659

View attachment 152652
View attachment 152656
View attachment 152657
View attachment 152654
No way Jose! 😨

View attachment 152655
View attachment 152653

View attachment 152661
I like your chest mount videos, but I still think your arms look weird with superview 😂

Disclaimer: This was and remains, in my mind, the House That Dave Berry Built. However, with him out of town, the recent and presumably future hyperlink indexing for months and years has apparently gone with him, and there always was a logic behind breaking it into years, so let’s see how this goes over.

So off we go. My personal goal this year is the usual 3000 miles, which I know RabH will surpass around lunchtime tomorrow… but it remains the most dependably entertaining thread on the site.
If your on Maui here are some fun, kinda flat but scenic rides: 1) I like to park at Kanaha Beach Park and take the mostly off-street paved path behind the airport to Paia and then to Hookipa Beach and back. 2) Another Fav is to park at Lahaina Aquatic Center and ride through Front street and then along the coastal areas and beach parks to Kaanapali, and then up to the parking lot above Black Rock where I turn around. You can enter the Kaanapali hotel area by a small beach park right into the parking lot of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel without having to go onto Honoapiilani HWY. 3) On the South shore I like to park at the Kihei Boat ramp and ride out to La Perouse Bay thru Wailea-Makena and back. If the back is sore I turn around at Ahii Kinau marine reserve before you encounter the rough rode to La Peruse. 4.) If you want a real scenic hill climb, start in Paia town and take Baldwin Ave up to Makawao town and glide back down the hill same route. 5.) Upcountry I park at Keokea Park and ride out to Ulupalakua Ranch/winery and back, great burgers at the ranch store! I have also noticed the hardcore analog riders take on the summit of Haleakala buy only from my truck! Mahalo.

We had a gorgeous couple of days in Seattle. I had been eyeing the forecast all week, hoping to take a nice 40-50 mile ride on Saturday somewhere that's not between home and work. Well, turned out I had to go into work on the nicest day of the year :mad:. Decided to make the best of it and rode in the 12.5 miles taking my charger with me. It was still 75F when I finally got out of work about 6:30 which left a little over 2 hours of light.

Screenshot_20230501-001534~2.png
Screenshot_20230501-001213.png

Decided to ride down through downtown Seattle, which is a much more pleasant ride on a sunny Saturday evening than it is on a weekday. Two close calls later with Lime scooters and almost getting doored once, I was through the international district and stopped to snap a pic of the city skyline and stadiums before turning east away from the sun.
PXL_20230430_021054095.jpg

This is the Mt Baker tunnel - built over the I-90 car tunnel.
PXL_20230430_021722216.jpg

Coming out the east side of the tunnel you get this view across Lake Washington before heading down to the bridge to cross the lake.
PXL_20230430_021859232.jpg

Paused on the bridge to get a picture of Mt Rainier, a little hazy.
PXL_20230430_022033917~2.jpg

After that, worked my way across Mercer Island and found to my surprise that a section of the trail there is closed (and has been for 6 months) which meant a little extra detour that I wasn't expecting. No biggie, on across to Bellevue to ride up the east side of Lake Washington. I forgot how crowded Kirkland can get on a nice weekend evening and lost lot of time through that section in stop and go traffic. The traffic was annoying, but you can hardly blame everyone for heading to the waterfront there on such a gorgeous day.
PXL_20230430_030642726.jpg

After getting out of Kirkland the roads were pretty clear and after stopping for a quick bite I got on the BGT to head over the top of the lake towards home. Really like these trail underpasses they built at the 2 busiest intersections in Kenmore.
getting
PXL_20230430_035121222.jpg

After getting up around the lake it's just a quick climb through Lake Forest Park and Mountlake Terrace to home. Caught a deer by surprise crossing the road in LFP. He didn't know what to make of me and finally moved off the road one he was in both of my lights beams. Couldn't resist stopping for a quiet moment at Lake Ballinger on the way home. Got home at 9:30 on the dot. Didn't realize till later that I was was .2 mi short of making 50 for the day.
PXL_20230430_041758396.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230430_030638634~2.jpg
    PXL_20230430_030638634~2.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20230430_021741325.jpg
    PXL_20230430_021741325.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20230430_040354241.jpg
    PXL_20230430_040354241.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20230430_023313161.jpg