2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I think the point is that when you order a specific cover made by one source and have the frame made somewhere else and then have to wait longer than normal because of manufacturing and shipping delays for the two to be in the same place to make sure the fit is proper and acceptable, this leads to a cascade of additional delays.

Now, discovering at the last moment, due to abnormal delays that you need to make modifications, which will also take longer than normal, you have a series of delays that no amount of normal planning can control.
Yes, not like you can just hop on a plane with a few engineers from Germany (light shutdown) to Taiwan and get the frame sorted in one hit.

I like that approach. Mine required I pay 100% on order placement.
Us Aussies would say "that's a bit rude!" (cheeky that the dealer did that)
Wow, hope you get 300+% level of service from that dealer in the future.

Last edited:
I imagine the cost savings of the solar panels on top of the new R&M factory have taken a major hit as probably most of the electricity generated has gone purely towards computational power to calculate manufacture & delivery dates! Poor computers must feel like they're mining for bitcoins or something! :)

I like that approach. Mine required I pay 100% on order placement.

I was required to pay 50% upon ordering, the remainder upon delivery.

----------
At this same time, I have a similar deposit and am waiting upon the delivery of the new Honda CT125 Trail Cub bike, which Honda had announced would be released across the United States in November.
There were 25 released nationwide on November 9th, and then another 375 between then and now, for a total of 400 bikes for approximately 1,200 dealerships.
They are hoping to get another shipment in sometime before the end of the year, but my dealership has already been told by Honda North America to not expect their first one of these bikes (mine) to be delivered to their shop until late March or early April.

The Honda CT125 was officially announced September 3rd, 2020, and I placed my deposit that very day.
I was a bit farther behind the curve with the R&M announcement and placed a deposit on my Homage on September 4th.

More locally, just try to find a camping or cargo trailer to buy, which are all built here in the United States.
Most shops are currently refusing to even take deposits/orders, and the few who are willing to are quoting me 6-8 month delivery for something as simple as a 5'x10' enclosed cargo trailer.
The manufacturers cannot get parts, and when they have parts they are having issues with workforce illness or local restrictions.

----------

So, it is not at all just an issue at R&M.

There is a worldwide disruption in the supply chain for nearly every sort of product this year.
And for outdoor recreation products there has been an unprecedented surge in demand as people have been flocking to the great outdoors as a relief from lockdowns and social distancing guidelines.
Even local bicycle shops have had problems getting enough spare parts to service the number of bicycles which have been brought in for tires, tubes, chains, cables, grips and more after having been left hanging in the rafters for years and suddenly called back into service this summer.

-----

As I said earlier,
It can definitely suck to be waiting for something that you really want, and have put money down on.
I completely understand that.

But I STILL say that we are some lucky sots to only be worrying about something which in the grand scheme of things is quite trivial when many are facing loss of livelihoods, loss of health, and loss of lives.

As always, YMMV.

I think the point is that when you order a specific cover made by one source and have the frame made somewhere else and then have to wait longer than normal because of manufacturing and shipping delays for the two to be in the same place to make sure the fit is proper and acceptable, this leads to a cascade of additional delays.

Now, discovering at the last moment, due to abnormal delays that you need to make modifications, which will also take longer than normal, you have a series of delays that no amount of normal planning can control.

It is Probably best if you try to extend some understanding and forbearance. Better to get a bike late that they can stand behind than pushing them to rush and getting a bundle of problems. Indulging one's impatience will likely be a useless exercise, have no positive effect on the outcome or its timing and just increase your frustration. You are in line to get an amazing bike...when they can make it right in a world where SNAFUs are popping up all over.

Exactly my point.
And in this case, it is the mating of the new larger 625Wh Bosch Powertube with a completely newly designed frame and a newly designed cover.
All three of which are coming from different vendors spread out across the globe.

Mix in a heaping helping of renewed travel restrictions and shipping disruptions and... Boom!

I’m simply saying it does not appear to be about Covid since it is not a problem with availability, but rather quality. The previous post said they received the battery covers but they didn’t fit on the frame correctly, and that has pushed production to late January.

When the Takata airbags were recalled on a host of automakers, was it the fault of quality control at GM/Honda/Toyota/Subaru/et.al.?
When lettuce, grapes, or canned goods get recalled from grocery stores, is it the fault of grocery chain for not doing proper quality control?

Similarly, when a manufacturer orders parts which turn out to not fit as specified it is not the fault of the manufacturer that the sub-assembly is not to spec.
It is the fault of the subcontracted supplier.
All they can do is decide to either use the sub-standard parts or to halt production and wait for in-spec parts.

R&M has decided to halt production and ensure that any vehicles which leave their factory meets ALL quality standards.

-----

And yes, it IS also an issue of availability as well.
The initial delivery of various parts had been delayed because of covid supply chain stresses, which is what pushed back the original production dates.

Abe, that brings up another issue: the Abus YourPlus keyed-alike system.

Assuming that that it is what you wanted, were you able to have your two Homages keyed-alike?
David, Interesting... I never thought to ask for it. Now that you bring it up, I can see both upside and downside to it. If we park our bikes together and someone somehow gets one of our keys (unlikely as that would be), they could easily steal both bikes. On the other hand, if one of us forgot our key, the other's key could do double duty.

Given the terms R&M offers their dealers, it's not terribly uncommon for shops to ask for full payment upfront before ordering a configuration they don't stock already.

What are the terms?
I’m not sure what the terms are but I had to pay in full at The New Wheel in SF for my Homage+highspeed+rohloff. That said, after they told me there will be delays I bailed and bought a Load60 they had in stock. This way my wife and I can ride around during Xmas break. SF weather is ridiculous.

I’m not sure what the terms are but I had to pay in full at The New Wheel in SF for my Homage+highspeed+rohloff. That said, after they told me there will be delays I bailed and bought a Load60 they had in stock. This way my wife and I can ride around during Xmas break. SF weather is ridiculous.
That’s funny - I just did the same thing. Also with the New Wheel in San Francisco. They got a brand new fully tricked out Superdelite and I cancelled one of my Homage orders and picked it up last night. I’m out riding it already 😍

BDE6767A-1E04-46B9-8CE4-194682360400.jpeg

That is one well designed bicycle. Are the bars really that wide or is it a perspective thing with this particular pic? 👍
It is 700 mm. Slightly wider than typical flat bar one (660-680) but not as wide as MTB bars (780-800 mm).

Last edited:
That’s funny - I just did the same thing. Also with the New Wheel in San Francisco. They got a brand new fully tricked out Superdelite and I cancelled one of my Homage orders and picked it up last night. I’m out riding it already 😍
Nice ride! May it give you many many miles and even more smiles.

That is one well designed bicycle. Are the bars really that wide or is it a perspective thing with this particular pic? 👍
They’re pretty wide. Each one has a battery in it. Top one is a 500 and bottom is a 625. It’s a heavy bike. 70 lbs. But once you’re riding it it feels like gravity-defying magic 🙂.

They’re pretty wide. Each one has a battery in it. Top one is a 500 and bottom is a 625. It’s a heavy bike. 70 lbs. But once you’re riding it it feels like gravity-defying magic 🙂.
He/she was talking about the handlebars :)

Back