2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
The bag wasn't the front bag...it was the bag that was supposed to be included with the Arbus chain. I am assuming its probably a front bag then but when I ordered the Mulitcharger the front bag was a separated item to be ordered. The chain and "a bag" was another item.

The bag wasn't the front bag...it was the bag that was supposed to be included with the Arbus chain. I am assuming its probably a front bag then but when I ordered the Mulitcharger the front bag was a separated item to be ordered. The chain and "a bag" was another item.
The additional chain w/ bag is definitely on back-order. We almost had a few Loads get hung up before we caught wind of that and removed them from the configuration.

Last edited:
  • Back in September, my Brisbane R&M dealer advised against ordering the 2021 Homage with the front bag for just this reason: you'd have to wait forever just to get on the waitlist.
    Does anyone know what the front bag will be like?
  • It's a pity that a frame lock cannot be fitted because of the restrictions imposed by the rear swing arm.
    Has anyone succeeded in attaching a frame lock to either a Homage or a Delite?
With a smidge of fettle, Abus Shield Plus 5750L.

Attachments

• 20201107 AAbusLock2.jpg
    20201107 AAbusLock2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 295
Well, it happened again. My 2021 Homage build date has been delayed again, for the third time, this time to end of January. So best case it would be a 6-month wait from order to delivery. I’m beginning to have doubts about the decision to order this bike 🤔

Did your bike get built last week as this suggests?

Actually, Yes.
It did.

After the initial production schedule had to be pushed back due to the pandemic delaying deliveries of sub-assemblies and individual parts,
my dual-battery Homage GT Rohloff was among the first ones to go down the line once all the parts had arrived.

However...
The newly redesigned powertube covers for the 625Wh batteries on the newly redesigned Homage frames did not pass quality control for fit & finish when the initial batch of Homage bikes got to the end of the production line.
So my bike (and at least several others) are being held at the factory until new covers arrive; which is currently scheduled for sometime in early January.
My understanding is that the rest of the Homage bikes/orders in the pipeline have been pushed back on the production schedule until the new covers arrive and pass quality control.

----------

Of course,
given the strain being placed upon the global supply chain due to the pandemic,
as well as the impact of the virus on so many with lives lost or long-term health effects including heart issues and even amputations due to circulatory collapse;
I am being philosophical about it.

Lets face it,
if the only thing we are worrying about right now is when our expensive luxury ebike is going to arrive,

we are doing pretty well...

----------

I am alive and (relatively) healthy (given the meat grinder my body has been through previously).
I also have a solid roof over my head, heat, and plenty to eat (maybe too much to eat?).
Overall, I am ahead of the curve compared to many in the world, my country, and even in my own neighborhood.

I ain't gonna complain!
YMMV.

Last edited:
Well, it happened again. My 2021 Homage build date has been delayed again, for the third time, this time to end of January. So best case it would be a 6-month wait from order to delivery. I’m beginning to have doubts about the decision to order this bike 🤔
Imagine if covid-19 was like the Spanish flu!

Then there would be more bikes than people to ride them! Seriously though, based on everything I’m hearing and reading, the Homage delays are less about Covid and more about manufacturing and quality control issues, particularly surrounding the new frames.
Welcome to the world of the early adapters. Many wait until the second or third production year on new models of cars, computers, just about everything, in order to avoid these types of delays and issues.

Problems with production and supply chain issues resulting from a global pandemic are only reasonable to expect. It all adds up to delays in production and delivery, every step along the line.

You pretty much opted in on when you pulled the pin on this very new and very cool update of a unique bike. A common added cost to be paid when you are the first kid on the block with the latest and greatest.

Then there would be more bikes than people to ride them! Seriously though, based on everything I’m hearing and reading, the Homage delays are less about Covid and more about manufacturing and quality control issues, particularly surrounding the new frames.

Are you saying that you do not believe that manufacturing issues are related to covid?

The entire global supply chain has been under incredible strain for months now.
There is a shortage of shipping containers for even essential items like food, medicine, and PPE.
So of course there will be delays in the delivery on non-essential items like bicycle parts.
That puts the entire production schedule behind to start with.

As a machine design engineer I can also assure you that there are almost always small glitches when trying to ramp up production of a new or redesigned product. And sometimes a new product ends up being recalled after it is shipped out due to an unseen issue.

I put my deposit down the day I learned about this upgraded model being announced.
Does it suck to wait?
Sure.

Will it diminish my enjoyment of the bike when it arrives?
Not one bit.

Last edited:

Perhaps you would be happier if you contact your dealer about a refund?
I am sure that they have customers who would be more than happy to take over your order and have your place in line.

Are you saying that you do not believe that manufacturing issues are related to covid?

There is a shortage of shipping containers for even essential items like food, medicine, and PPE.
So of course there will be delays in the delivery on non-essential items like bicycle parts.

As a machine design engineer I can also assure you that there are almost always small glitches when trying to ramp up production of a new or redesigned product. And sometimes a new product ends up being recalled after The entire global supply chain has been under incredible strain for months now.

As a machine design engineer I can also assure you that there are almost always small glitches when trying to ramp up production of a new or redesigned product. And sometimes a new product ends up being recalled after it is shipped out due to an unseen issue.

I put my deposit down the day this upgraded model was announced.
Does it suck to wait?
Sure.

Not one bit.

I put my deposit down the day this upgraded model was announced.
Does it suck to wait?
Sure.

Not one bit.
I’m simply saying it does not appear to be about Covid since it is not a problem with availability, but rather quality. The previous post said they received the battery covers but they didn’t fit on the frame correctly, and that has pushed production to late January.

I’m simply saying it does not appear to be about Covid since it is not a problem with availability, but rather quality. The previous post said they received the battery covers but they didn’t fit on the frame correctly, and that has pushed production to late January.
I think the point is that when you order a specific cover made by one source and have the frame made somewhere else and then have to wait longer than normal because of manufacturing and shipping delays for the two to be in the same place to make sure the fit is proper and acceptable, this leads to a cascade of additional delays.

Now, discovering at the last moment, due to abnormal delays that you need to make modifications, which will also take longer than normal, you have a series of delays that no amount of normal planning can control.

It is Probably best if you try to extend some understanding and forbearance. Better to get a bike late that they can stand behind than pushing them to rush and getting a bundle of problems. Indulging one's impatience will likely be a useless exercise, have no positive effect on the outcome or its timing and just increase your frustration. You are in line to get an amazing bike...when they can make it right in a world where SNAFUs are popping up all over.

I think the point is that when you order a specific cover made by one source and have the frame made somewhere else and then have to wait longer than normal because of manufacturing and shipping delays for the two to be in the same place to make sure the fit is proper and acceptable, this leads to a cascade of additional delays.

Now, discovering at the last moment, due to abnormal delays that you need to make modifications, which will also take longer than normal, you have a series of delays that no amount of normal planning can control.

It is Probably best if you try to extend some understanding and forbearance. Better to get a bike late that they can stand behind than pushing them to rush and getting a bundle of problems. Indulging one's impatience will likely be a useless exercise, have no positive effect on the outcome or its timing and just increase your frustration. You are in line to get an amazing bike...when they can make it right in a world where SNAFUs are popping up all over.
Yes, you're absolutely right and I don't fault R&M for things they can't control. And I do believe they make great products. But I do fault them for setting completely unrealistic expectations in the first place. Taking orders in September for a newly redesigned bike in the middle of a pandemic and publishing a build date of October seems irresponsible, especially given their history of delays. What would I do differently? I'd set the expectation that it will take six months. Then delight the customer if it takes less.

I'd set the expectation that it will take six months. Then delight the customer if it takes less.
Or horrify them!

My R&M dealer has a simple payment schedule: a third of the full price when the order is placed; the second third on the build date; remainder on delivery.

We're talking big money… for us, our dealers and especially R&M who made an enormous commitment to a new production plant just as the pandemic hit.

Or horrify them!

My R&M dealer has a simple payment schedule: a third of the full price when the order is placed; the second third on the build date; remainder on delivery.

We're talking big money… for us, our dealers and especially R&M who made an enormous commitment to a new production plant just as the pandemic hit.
I like that approach. Mine required I pay 100% on order placement.

Back