2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Clamps, my understanding is…
  • WHITE : single or dual battery
  • BLACK : dual battery
My 2019 Homage is 'deep sea blue'. There are many photos of that bike on this forum and in almost all of them it appears to be black. More of the same in 2021!
David, it’s the other way:
  • WHITE : single battery
  • BLUE : single or dual battery

Peter, I have been told that the front rack will not be available until the new year.

I ordered mine without the front rack.

Buying a ”step through“ bike is about all my frail male ego could stand although it‘s a godsend to my stiff 71 year old hips.

i think a front rack might be too much for me.......:cool:

2019–20 versus 2021 Homage …

2019 Riese & Müller Homage

2019 Riese & Müller Homage GX Rohloff
Gone or changed forever (clockwise from top) …
  • Gone : owner's workaround for postioning water bottle on handlebar, stem, etc.
  • Changed : light now attached to stem; therefore, handlebar bag no longer possible (opt for the rack & bag).
  • Changed : second battery (PowerPack) which compromised the Homage's step-through credentials (opt for 1250 Wh configuration).
  • Gone (?) : Ortlieb E-mate for third battery; not necessary? too small for 625 Wh PowerTube with cover?
  • Gone : owner's workaround for dropper post (sorry, 'lowerable' seat post).
Also …
  • Changed/unchanged? : the very tight fit between rear tyre and leading edge of mudguard.
  • Not changed : don't expect your 2021 Homage to be delivered in this version of 'deep sea blue'!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 2 Homages on order for my wife and myself as of last week, but wanting to ensure I’ve ordered the right size.. I’m 6’2”.. about 187cms and so ordered the midsize as I’m 69 and will probably start shrinking.. I’d appreciate any thoughts?

Also as I’m a lot heavier than my wife and intend doing some occasional long trips with her so I am tempted to get the dual battery spec, but not crazy for the dark blue ..And 80% of the time we will be on it for 4 hours and less so I’m thinking of just the single 625 and maybe buying a spare for the rear panier if we go on long tours.. again would like your feedback..?

also getting the Roloff but concerned of these reports on oil leaks ..

We have 2 Homages on order for my wife and myself as of last week, but wanting to ensure I’ve ordered the right size.. I’m 6’2”.. about 187cms and so ordered the midsize as I’m 69 and will probably start shrinking.. I’d appreciate any thoughts?

Also as I’m a lot heavier than my wife and intend doing some occasional long trips with her so I am tempted to get the dual battery spec, but not crazy for the dark blue ..And 80% of the time we will be on it for 4 hours and less so I’m thinking of just the single 625 and maybe buying a spare for the rear panier if we go on long tours.. again would like your feedback..?

also getting the Roloff but concerned of these reports on oil leaks ..

I see you are just inside the top limit in height recommended for the 54cm frame. I remember from my (limited) triathlon experience it was always recommended to go for the smallest frame that fit you comfortably. It saves a bit of weight but more importantly gives better handling and response. I think you should be ok but I’m no expert. I’m just 6 foot but have long legs (33.5 inch inseam) so I chose the medium as well.

What did your dealer recommend?

iI have no knowledge about the Rohloff oil leaks but if It was a common problem I suspect there would be a lot more complaints on the web. I went for the Vario as it suits my needs as does a single battery.

Enjoy your bikes when they arrive ‼️

David, it’s the other way:
  • WHITE : single battery
  • BLUE : single or dual battery
I see you are just inside the top limit in height recommended for the 54cm frame. I remember from my (limited) triathlon experience it was always recommended to go for the smallest frame that fit you comfortably. It saves a bit of weight but more importantly gives better handling and response. I think you should be ok but I’m no expert. I’m just 6 foot but have long legs (33.5 inch inseam) so I chose the medium as well.

What did your dealer recommend?

iI have no knowledge about the Rohloff oil leaks but if It was a common problem I suspect there would be a lot more complaints on the web. I went for the Vario as it suits my needs as does a single battery.

Enjoy your bikes when they arrive ‼
Thank you Peter K
Yes, the dealer agrees.

I'm very comfortable with being told I'm being silly...
I look a the new dual battery Homage, and I think to myself...
They've taken a box frame section, and cut two opposite sides off...

Does this not mean that instead of a box, we now have two parallel metal sheets with nothing holding back the forces that would cause them to suffer from shear / torsion effects? Except perhaps the two batteries.... um....

I would assume there is a wall between the two batteries, this would create an I-Beam type of profile for the down tube and that is extremely resistant to flexion.
Not the best for torsion, but again, with a single battery, the downtube has an open C section, which is not ideal either.

You have to assume they did their Structural Analysis of the profile and found it to be be good for the job :)

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, a middle wall would solve the shear problem. Wish I'd thought of that. And yes, I do assume they did tests. Plenty of them.

Last edited:
Here's hoping that the $10K bicycle I just ordered is strong enough to withstand the use I intend to put it to (which is very poorly maintained country roads and light to moderate trails)........... :oops:

One of the improvements on the 2021 that hasn't got much mention is the much cleaner set up if you go with either the Kiox or Nyon cockpit. This seems to allow for much better integration of the wiring around the handlebar. I was surprised how "untidy" the wiring was on the 2019 model I rode. My Gazelle Ultimate wiring is very well integrated in the stem and it looks like new models with the cockpit will be similar

Having said that I was surprised to see in another thread how poorly integrated the horn wiring on the HS models seemed to be, HS is not an option in Canada so it's a moot point for me.

The Homage will handle the riding conditions you describe @Peter K just fine. They will have tested it extensively. The two owners are engineers and have a fine reputation to maintain. I work with a few engineers and as a profession they tend to be meticulous as a general rule!

It is no downhill MTB, and a little hard to manoeuvre in tight corners due to its weight. My wife rides the same “blue” singletrack trails as I occasionally do on my Delite with 140mm Fox upgrade albeit at a slower more sensible pace. The Homage (sans the issues David and Alaskan have experienced - I feel gutted for them) is a great bike - the most comfortable riding position I have ever experienced. Plush comes to mind.

Back