Chris Nolte

This is the new Riese & Müller Load for 2020. It’s frame has been completely redesigned to include the Generation 4 Bosch Cargoline motor, a belt drive and it’s now available with the Rohloff. I’m very excited about this bike as it has some great improvements from last year.

I hope you enjoy the video. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. I also highly welcome any feedback or constructive criticism.

More about the Load at: https://propelbikes.com/product/riese-muller-load-60/

The 2020 Load looks like it pretty much has it all. I was surprised at how easy it was to ride when I took a test ride. It is not at all cumbersome or clumsy. It turned easily, had great comfort and was more lively than I thought it would be. Riese & Muller has such unique, well thought out designs.

Parking this bike needs as much space as a car with the disadvantage of less capacity to carry cargo and/or passengers. One of the biggest advantage of riding a bike to the shops or work is easy parking especially here in Europe or in big cities worldwide. A bike this size loses that big advantage. I'm afraid this is not for me. I rather spend the money on a 2nd hand hybrid or fully electric car.

The 2020 Load looks like it pretty much has it all. I was surprised at how easy it was to ride when I took a test ride. It is not at all cumbersome or clumsy. It turned easily, had great comfort and was more lively than I thought it would be. Riese & Muller has such unique, well thought out designs.
I totally agree! It’s my personal favorite bike. It’s a real car replacement and it’s super comfortable and stable.

Parking this bike needs as much space as a car with the disadvantage of less capacity to carry cargo and/or passengers. One of the biggest advantage of riding a bike to the shops or work is easy parking especially here in Europe or in big cities worldwide. A bike this size loses that big advantage. I'm afraid this is not for me. I rather spend the money on a 2nd hand hybrid or fully electric car.
You can’t park a car on the sidewalk but you can with this. Cars also still get stuck in traffic, even when they’re electric. This bike happens to be one of the more popular bike in our shops and increasingly in the longer 75cm version. This bike doesn’t have to be for you, but this bike is definitely for me. Everyone has different needs, I happen to think R&M addresses many common ones with this bike. I really encourage you to ride one if you have an opportunity. You might change your perspective on the merits of this bike.

One thing is definitely true about the Load. You're not going to be carrying it upstairs. You either need a freight elevator or a secure place on the first floor to keep it. This is true for all box type cargo bikes.

@Chris Nolte is it possible to pull a trailer with an Homage or Delight? If so which one matches up best? What are the issues/considerations?

I totally agree! It’s my personal favorite bike. It’s a real car replacement and it’s super comfortable and stable.

You can’t park a car on the sidewalk but you can with this. Cars also still get stuck in traffic, even when they’re electric. This bike happens to be one of the more popular bike in our shops and increasingly in the longer 75cm version. This bike doesn’t have to be for you, but this bike is definitely for me. Everyone has different needs, I happen to think R&M addresses many common ones with this bike. I really encourage you to ride one if you have an opportunity. You might change your perspective on the merits of this bike.
I disagree. Not the sidewalks where we city dwellers live. With the size of this bike, you're just as likely to get stuck in traffic as a car. Smart car, as an example, is almost the same size as a cargo bike but with many, many advantages over a cargo bike. The sole purpose of a cargo bike is carrying cargo in an envoirementally friendly way. A small electric car is much, much more appropriate for the above purpose and I may add, much, much less dangerous mode of transport.

I disagree. Not the sidewalks where we city dwellers live. With the size of this bike, you're just as likely to get stuck in traffic as a car. Smart car, as an example, is almost the same size as a cargo bike but with many, many advantages over a cargo bike. The sole purpose of a cargo bike is carrying cargo in an envoirementally friendly way. A small electric car is much, much more appropriate for the above purpose and I may add, much, much less dangerous mode of transport.
What city do you live in where you are not allowed to park a cargo bike on the sidewalk? I know of no city in the USA where that is prohibited. I park my bike every day on the sidewalk on our city. As everyone knows the USA, with some notable exceptions, is not nearly as bike friendly as many cities in Europe. Also it is a plain fact that two wheeled vehicles can go places that four wheeled vehicles cannot.

1567452805737.png

Fyi, Bay Village, Boston. Again, fyi, obstructing a sidewalk is illegal in every city on this planet. If you live in an apartment, even if you have an elevator, your only choice might be to leave your precious, expensive bike in the street where it can easily to be loaded at the back of a truck and taken away. Sorry, but I still think, cargo bikes are a silly idea for the reasons I have already posted. So, we agree to disagree.

It is possible to carry a trailer with the Homage or Delite. We have several customers that lock their Load outside with good locks and a cover. One specifically on the sidewalk and it works great for her and her kids.

I’ve ridden a Load for years in the biggest city in NY so I’m intimately familiar with these concerns. I guess I’ll have to agree to disagree at this point as I think we see to have very different experience with cities and cars. I encourage you to check out the below video when considering the efficiency of a car vs an ebike. This is a friend of mine Zach Krapfl and he has studied this topic more than anyone I know.

But honestly I find it odd to be having this discussion on an Electric Bike forum, but I guess it’s worthwhile. The street you show a picture shows what’s wrong with many streets in America. They prioritize the car above pedestrians and cyclists. The argument that a car is better continues that same way of thinking. Why should a car have more of a right to that space than a bicycle? I think this might be the topic of a future video. I’m actually getting lots of ideas so I thank you for that.

I don’t mean to be critical of you or your ideas, I guess I just haven’t had many people challenge the idea of bikes over cars on this forum. Everyone does have their right to their own feelings and ideas and having discussions like this can be really helpful at times.

As I write this I’m walking around in Zurich Switzerland and I just spent the day riding around the city of Copenhagen on a cargo bike. These cities clearly prioritize space in a very different way and they’re better for it from my perspective. That might not be the popular opinion in the US, but it might just be from lack of experience. I like to believe that, but maybe I’m just idealistic.

I’ve watched NYC change before my eyes and I get emotional some times thinking about it. I believe the future of cities don’t include cars and many cities are moving closer to that future everyday.

I have to apologize as I realize I’m getting a little excited about this topic. I hope you don’t take offense to my comments.

Our small city of Bellingham has good dedicated bike lanes, designated bike routes, nice wide sidewalks and has hardware on every parking meter throughout downtown for locking up bikes on the sidewalk. Fortunately, Boston is not indicative of every city, even in the US.

@Chris Nolte is there a particular brand or style of trailer (one wheel or two, seat mounted or rear axle) that works best with R&M full suspension bikes?

No offense taken. I just dislike cargo bikes but absolutely love e-bikes.

My cargo bike is the most versatile and useful bike I've owned. In fact one of the most useful things I've ever owned. If I were forced to get rid of all my bikes but allowed to keep one - I'm keeping the cargo bike.

I think this is a well built bike for its purpose.

The problem though is theft, I really have a hard time leaving any ebike for extended periods of time outside. This unfortunately makes them impractical.

...This unfortunately makes them impractical...

Impractical for some folks perhaps. Not to say it will never be stolen - but as with all of my e-bikes I lock them in an urban downtown frequently. 2 locks, both wheels locked down and the seat locked down (or take it along). And as a last resort, I have insurance. Still a quite practical bike (Tern GSD) and it gets locked outside frequently....

Over50 - Impractical for some folks perhaps.....

Impractical only in the sense that I don't want to bring a keg home... everyday anyway. I pull a single wheel suspended trailer that connects at the seat post, can turn on a dime, and carry a fair amount of weight, 90 lbs. I choose it and a special tour bike over a cargo bike because I wanted a bike I could ride singletrack on... and enjoy it. I am sure the Load would be great at moving something over 100 lbs and very stable with its low'est center of gravity. What undersized motor did they put in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Chris Nolte thank you so much for this review as well as all of the other good work you have done (along with @Court). it has all helped me navigate the world of e-bikes and more specifically e-cargo bikes.

i have already ordered my 2020 load 60 with the rohloff hub and gates drive and interestingly enough, it will be replacing my smart electric car - the most reasonable car i can imagine but it’s still a car and i’m thrilled to be fully car-free.

i live in the bay area and whenever i return from amsterdam or copenhagen i am envious but also enthusiastic and motivated about the strides we’re making in our own cities to design space for people, not cars.

i don’t much understand the point of joining this conversation simply to be contrary. i don’t go into country music forums to talk about how i don’t care for the genre, for example. i’m excited about e-bikes, e-cargo bikes, and i’m delighted that the load 60 will be joining my bike collection.

cheers, all!

Back