2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

All it needed was a fresh coat of paint …
2019-03-11-coominya.jpg

• Coominya Station on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail.
  • It appears that an extension (fourth door) was added after the photo below.
  • The photo in the previous post was taken just a few kilometres into the bush in the distance.
  • And now for some summer rain… it can't come soon enough!
2019-03-11-coominya-historic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Country Road #6 …
2019-02-09-pmtn-ebr.jpg

It was roads like this that prompted me to think of ebikes three years ago — too steep (20% gradient just out of sight), too rough (especially between grading) but conveniently close to home.

During some of the too-hot-to-ride days I've been sorting out (aka 'culling') 2019 photos and have turned up a few that missed out, hence the illogical jumps between brown and green grass!

Riverside Apartments …
2019-12-18-sb-1-ebr.jpg

• The buildings with magic glass cladding (on the left) are in Brisbane CBD; those with balconies (on the right) are highrise apartments.
  • I wouldn't want to live up in the sky, especially if a new tower was put up to steal the view!
  • On this ride, I crossed the Story Bridge (same designer as Sydney Harbour Bridge).
  • Photo taken at 37.7 km, looking west (upstream).
  • Someone's ebike needs a wash.
Ride : 125 km / 2019 : 16,009 km

Country Road #7 …
2019-04-03-lockyer-v-ebr.jpg

• Lockyer Valley near Coominya, Queensland.
  • The trees (left) line the Lockyer Creek which was dry for most of 2019.
  • Even during the severest drought there is plenty of underground water available for irrigation.
  • On the horizon, the Great Dividing Range. What it lacks in height, it makes up in length!

Spring in New Zealand …
ruapehu_ohakune_09-ebr.jpg

Yes, one can really keep riding along country roads until you bump into New Zealand's mountains as I did on my last cycling vacation there (not 2019). I am not sure in what sense it was my 'last' trip now that I'm devoted to ebikes with their associated battery/air travel problems. In pre-ebike days, it was easy to pack a bike in a bag and take a quick flight across The Ditch to visit the neighbours.

This is Mount Ruapehu seen from the west at the end of a clear November day — remember to show due respect when there is a cloud is rising from the mountain!

There are dozen or more Kiwi forum members. Please post some photos of your beautiful country!

Last week I took a group of 24 from Waihi through the Karangahake Gorge to Paeroa and return. 44km.
First photo; bridge crosses river, in second photo, across a main highway (see red truck bottom left) and straight into a 1 mile tunnel.

Attachments

• karangahake 191.jpg
    karangahake 191.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 548
  • karangahake 192.jpg
    karangahake 192.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 579
Last week I took a group of 24 from Waihi through the Karangahake Gorge… Bridge crosses river straight into a tunnel.
karangahake_comp.jpg

Camac …
Karangahake Gorge is one of my favourite New Zealand rides (left photo; rail trail disappearing into tunnel).

The rail trail has been plonked on top of a road bridge because that is where the railway used to be. Extraordinary! I just can't wait to revisit.

I'm sure you can dig up some more photos and stories.
… David

Late August I’d picked up the pace dramatically to make it cross-country on schedule. The previous night I’d caught about 4hrs of sleep by stopping on the North Coast Inland Trail in Ohio. The weather was bad later the next day, so I decided to just bike until PA, even if it meant an all-nighter. By 2 am or so, I rode up to a Sheetz convenience store/gas station and obtained permission to top off using the outlet outside. It was a very windy night, and I stood watching the Ohio and US flags rippling at the nearby flagpole. Looking at my phone, I saw I was in Kent, OH.

I went inside the store and asked if I’d be able to find the site of the 1970 Kent State shootings. I realized I was only a few miles away and could not resist the detour. One of the reasons I tour is for these unplanned stops at historical sites, wherever and whenever. I’ve long been interested in the KSU student shootings of the Vietnam protest era, particularly that three of the four deceased students were Jewish at a school that did not have a large Jewish student body.

I watched a YouTube before leaving to familiarize myself with that area of campus and knew that I wanted to find the site of the iconic photo in which a young runaway screams over the body of a lifeless and bleeding Jeffrey Miller ז״ל

I set my gps to the general area of the recent memorial. It was not easy to find but I saw the lights surrounding the sites of the students shot in the parking lot and nearby I saw what I was looking for. I was happy that all the sites had rocks on the lampposts to memorialize the students, but I was puzzled because I felt that the orientation of Miller’s site was wrong. Later I realized that it was probably intentional to allow traffic to pass, but I was still a bit disappointed.

Tonight is the first night of Hanukkah. Peace and happiness to those who celebrate and a Merry Christmas to the EBR community. And it’s not too long before @David Berry posts his 2020 thread, I imagine.

Attachments

• 5DA77514-512F-46A1-AC2A-069F8A04B4B2.jpeg
    5DA77514-512F-46A1-AC2A-069F8A04B4B2.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 423
View attachment 42958
Camac …
Karangahake Gorge is one of my favourite New Zealand rides (left photo; rail trail disappearing into tunnel).

The rail trail has been plonked on top of a road bridge because that is where the railway used to be. Extraordinary! I just can't wait to revisit.

I'm sure you can dig up some more photos and stories.
… David
Youve got better photos than me. The last train on that line was about 1967. The tunnel has an uphill grade and when they used the steam locomotives the driver and fireman used to lie on the footplate to escape the smoke. When they were hauling pigs on the top deck not all would be alive when the train exited the tunnel.

Scarborough Boat Harbour …
2019-12-23-sbh-ebr.jpg

Monday's lunch stop for fresh seafood straight off the trawlers. I often use Scarborough as my turnaround spot when riding along the Moreton Bay Cycleway. (96.5 km on the map)

Ride : 174 km / 2019 : 16,291 km

Scarborough Boat Harbour …
View attachment 43034

Monday's lunch stop for fresh seafood straight off the trawlers. I often use Scarborough as my turnaround spot when riding along the Moreton Bay Cycleway. (96.5 km on the map)

Ride : 174 km / 2019 : 16,291 km
One of my neighbours recently moved (back) to Australia and found a place to live in on Prince Edwards Parade. I believe that’s in Scarborough or near.

Back