2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

Little-used country road (Mount Marrow, Queensland) …
2019-03-15-mt-morrow.jpg

I should have known better than to ride along this disused road – perfect for farm tractors and even my ebike, but not for me with my complete lack of mountain biking experience. It deteriorated further but was all good fun. (Photo at 15 km.)
… David
Ride : 72 km / 2019 : 3348 km

Last edited by a moderator:
Little-used country road (Mount Marrow, Queensland) …
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)
I should have known better than to ride along this disused road – perfect for farm tractors and evenr my ebike, but not for me with my complete lack of mountain biking experience. It deteriorated further but was all good fun. (Photo at 15 km.)
… David
Ride : 72 km / 2019 : 3348 km
That looks like a challenge, definitely not suited to my road bike ;) I thought I was doing well at 1165km, 3348km is amazing! Looks like you are having a great year of e biking :D

'The Word Turns' by Michael Parekowhai – Queensland Gallery of Modern Art …
2019_03_22_02_aaa.jpg

The Queensland Gallery of Modern Art's description:
In The World Turns, Michael Parekowhai casts a small native water rat, the kuril (next to the elephant's eye), in the role of hero. Along with the traditional Aboriginal custodians, the kuril is one of the caretakers of the land upon which the gallery and this sculpture stand. The kuril is intrinsically linked to the mangroves that weave around the Kurilpa Point shoreline, which feed it and provide it with shelter.
Here, the kuril is planted firmly on the ground, going about its business, even though it has shifted the world – represented by a large, upturned elephant – from its axis.
The World Turns reminds us that history is often recorded to highlight specific moments, but, as the world turns, there are many other stories – and these are central to our understanding of history.

Ride : 110 km / 2019 : 3793 km

Looks like an amazing place to ride. I could do with those trees here to shelter from our incessant winds.
2019_03_24_06_a.jpg

Rab …
Brisbane Forest Park and surrounding areas are beautiful places to ride, especially on windy or hot days – shelter from the winds and shade from the sun, unexpected vistas and switchback roads interspersed by flat sections like these. Love it!
… David

Squirrel Glider Bridge, Gateway Motorway, Brisbane …
2019_03_26_glider_a.jpg

These days when an urban highway is upgraded cyclists are treated to a modern bikeway running alongside it – good for commuting but definitely not a place to ride for fun.

The wildlife is always included in the environmental impact assessments: tunnels or 'land bridges' for koalas, wombats and wallabies, and high wire bridges for possums and gliders. This bridge is for squirrel gliders. Although the squirrel gliders' membranes from wrists to ankles are analogous to those found in North American flying squirrels, these endearing little animals are marsupials along with possums and kangaroos. I'll have to return at night to see their bridge over the motorway in action!

Ride : 88 km / 2019 : 4016 km

Waiting for the box office to open at the Toogoolawah Pictures
2019_03_29_toogoolawah_1_a.jpg

• Toogoolawah, Queensland, Australia.
  • Open every Saturday night since the 1920s.
  • It is tempting to think that where you purchase your ticket is called a 'box office' because of its shape. Those who study such things say that the term predated the cinema by two centuries and was the name for the place where gentlemen (of course!) hired a 'box' inside a theatre.
Ride : 71 km / 2019 : 4147 km

A soaking isn't so bad if its warm ;) I remember a ride in 2012 when I cycled 154 miles in 1 day and got soaked 5 miles from home, it was actually very refreshing and helped me complete the trip :D

Be Aware of the Rides of March …
At last the first quarter of 2019 is over! Almost everyone seems to have had enough of unfavourable weather, especially of temperatures that are too low – in my case, too high – for getting out sufficiently often. We did manage some rides!

Here are photos from March that didn't make the forum earlier. (Where would we be without our smartphones!) I hope, you'll share your memories.
… David

2019_03_31_1500_500_bridge_colleges.jpg

2019_03_31_1500_500_horses.jpg

2019_03_31_1500_500_yimbun.jpg

All photos taken in the Brisbane hinterland near where we live.

RIDES : March : 1652 km / 2019 : 4216 km

The Curly-Wurly Pig's Tail Cycle Bridge across the Gateway Motorway, Brisbane …
2019_04_05_17_aa.jpg

It's not as challenging as the gliders' bridge across the motorway (photo above)! Normally, I prefer to avoid cycleways alongside motorways, but it's good to have them in addition to the more scenic routes. There is a general expectation that all motorways in urban areas should have associated cycleways. This is part of Australia's Highway One, the route with neither beginning nor end (It's a circuit).

Photo taken at 34 km (see map).

I'll post a photo of a pleasanter suburban greenway tomorrow.

Ride : 80 km / 2019 : 4473 km

Back