Your experiences with the new Mahle MySmartBike app (replacement for Ebikemotion)

Ah! That is because you have only charged the battery completely once. Charging back up from say 80% is a fifth of a charge. This confused me at first until I realised that it counts full charges not partial ones but partial ones count up until they equal a full charge......I think. I dont really know, but that is how it seems to me. I have only charged the battery 17 times since August according to my app but I have done 1000 miles on it. So I would not worry, enjoy your ride tomorrow and see how much you use on the ride. Have a great day out!
Thanks a lot. It was a perfect day. nice to ride at the sea side, sun was shining, wind in the back and it was pretty warm for the season.
I did not use much the engine on the trip but neverthess plugged it in afterwards. It charged for probably an hour in the usual way, i.e. the charger showing a blue , slowly pulsating light, then went green when done. So I really should rely on the bike and forget about this app until it gets more reliable I guess. Anyway, during riding the Garmin does the job fine, don't need an app there.

Thanks a lot. It was a perfect day. nice to ride at the sea side, sun was shining, wind in the back and it was pretty warm for the season.
I did not use much the engine on the trip but neverthess plugged it in afterwards. It charged for probably an hour in the usual way, i.e. the charger showing a blue , slowly pulsating light, then went green when done. So I really should rely on the bike and forget about this app until it gets more reliable I guess. Anyway, during riding the Garmin does the job fine, don't need an app there.

"It was a perfect day. nice to ride at the sea side, sun was shining, wind in the back and it was pretty warm for the season."

I feel a song coming on..........

Yes just did this when coming back home. It says 100% o that sounds fine but battery cycles is also in the Garmin device displayed as only one. So it seems battery is fully charged but something still is weird. Let's see how it goes on our seaside trip tomorrow.
Hello
I am sorry for your issue.
Did you see the 86% on the app and the 100% on the Garmin at the same time? I think that for some reason the bike stop sending the battery info (as before that you did not receive anything with the previous firmware version) and the last value that the App receive was the 86% but the bike continues charging until the 100%.
If the problem persist probably you have an issue on the communication between your Battery and the HMI... Check it also using the Garmin, if there is a problem on the bike also the Garmin should stop updating the battery info.

Best regards

@JaviGPZ

since june i can't record my bike rides. Last time I could do that on version 1.0. After, it seems to me, June 13, and version 1.1.1, until this latest ver.1.1.6, always the same story. It starts properly, and after 4-5 seconds it stops (screenshot_1.) after "exiting" (screenshot_2.) a message is received (screenshot_3.). The app properly connects to the bike and properly reads engine maps and so on, but it will not record the bike ride at all.

I've tried everything:
- turned the phone off/on
- turned location off/on manually
- closed/opened the application
- repeated multiple times with starting recording
- unpair from APP and re-pair bike
- uninstall APP and re-install again
- disable battery saving or optimizations
- cleared memory cache before reinstallation and afterwards

Phone model: Galaxy A31
Android version: 12

I would be very, very grateful if you could help me.
Hello,

Your problem it is a GPS issue. During your rides the locations that the app get does not have enough precision. Because of that the the app did not record any position and you do not have distance.
Are you using a third party app to save battery?
Does the gps work well with other apps like waze, google maps...?

Possible solutions:
1- Settings > Apps > My Smartbike > Permissions > Toggle Location ON
2- Settings > Apps > select the menu in the upper right-hand corner > Special access > Optimize battery usage > All apps > Toggle OFF for My Smartbike.
3- Check that your location settings are set to High accuracy. Settings > Connections > Location > Locating method > High accuracy.
4- Perform an "AGPS reset" by installing the App GPS Status & Toolbox, then in that app, go to Menu > Manage A-GPS State > Reset.

Also you can use this app to check your GPS:
If you do that go to the street and let me know the accuracy range.

Let me know if something works for you

Best regards
Javier

Hello
I am sorry for your issue.
Did you see the 86% on the app and the 100% on the Garmin at the same time? I think that for some reason the bike stop sending the battery info (as before that you did not receive anything with the previous firmware version) and the last value that the App receive was the 86% but the bike continues charging until the 100%.
If the problem persist probably you have an issue on the communication between your Battery and the HMI... Check it also using the Garmin, if there is a problem on the bike also the Garmin should stop updating the battery info.

Best regards
Thanks , Yes that’s my understanding too . The acid test for the communication between the HMI and the battery I guess is if the battery indicator on the HMI correctly shows remaining battery life . Guess I need to use the battery though more often than I did now to see really the battery being used up

Hello,

Your problem it is a GPS issue. During your rides the locations that the app get does not have enough precision. Because of that the the app did not record any position and you do not have distance.
Are you using a third party app to save battery?
Does the gps work well with other apps like waze, google maps...?

Possible solutions:
1- Settings > Apps > My Smartbike > Permissions > Toggle Location ON
2- Settings > Apps > select the menu in the upper right-hand corner > Special access > Optimize battery usage > All apps > Toggle OFF for My Smartbike.
3- Check that your location settings are set to High accuracy. Settings > Connections > Location > Locating method > High accuracy.
4- Perform an "AGPS reset" by installing the App GPS Status & Toolbox, then in that app, go to Menu > Manage A-GPS State > Reset.

Also you can use this app to check your GPS:
If you do that go to the street and let me know the accuracy range.

Let me know if something works for you

Best regards
Javier

Thank you for your reply. I turned everything on/off as you wrote and it won't work properly. I even turned off the antivirus. The result is the same as before.

All other apps that use location work perfectly fine.

I am attaching a screenshot for GPS_Status on my location.

I don't know if it's blasphemous to ask - is it possible to reach ver. 1.0 that worked for me?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-104257_GPS Status.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103-104257_GPS Status.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_20221103-104628_GPS Status.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103-104628_GPS Status.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I turned everything on/off as you wrote and it won't work properly. I even turned off the antivirus. The result is the same as before.

All other apps that use location work perfectly fine.

I am attaching a screenshot for GPS_Status on my location.

I don't know if it's blasphemous to ask - is it possible to reach ver. 1.0 that worked for me?
You are welcome. I asked to the Android Devs. Did you try to delete all data from the app? This force to recreate the local database (maybe it is not a GPS issue and it is a local database issue).
Here it is explained how to do it:

Let me know if it works. If not works we can think other solutions.

About comeback to the version 1.0 it is not possible because we modify a lot of things on the networking with the server and it is nos compatible.

You are welcome. I asked to the Android Devs. Did you try to delete all data from the app? This force to recreate the local database (maybe it is not a GPS issue and it is a local database issue).
Here it is explained how to do it:

Let me know if it works. If not works we can think other solutions.

About comeback to the version 1.0 it is not possible because we modify a lot of things on the networking with the server and it is nos compatible.

Thanks again. Earlier, I already tried deleting all data, cache, and even uninstalling the My SmartBike app itself. Without success!

Thanks again. Earlier, I already tried deleting all data, cache, and even uninstalling the My SmartBike app itself. Without success!
Hi all
ok I have been riding an orbea gain m20 for about 28 months 12500 miles with the app no issues all good
just got Scott addict 20 x20 motor
2nd ride
so here my issues with the app
Motor maps don’t work
No battery % on home or ride page or engineering page
so remaing battery for ride % all over the place which it would be as it uses battery voltage to calculate
Battery usage KW Zero after ride
but external extra battery KW has a used figure so appears it is mixing up main battery with external extra battery even if you don’t have one
I don’t have one
Error 32 comms issue
Pulsa one works perfectly and includes correct battery % except distance calculation for battery same as app all over the place
So it appears to be a firmware issue to me
MAHLE please get this sorted releasing a new system with this many issues should not happen

Attachments

• 71969341-0D26-4A03-AEFB-D6DDDEAF8EDB.png
    71969341-0D26-4A03-AEFB-D6DDDEAF8EDB.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 27ED3FA0-2920-4F8A-9C78-CF9DD8818FCA.png
    27ED3FA0-2920-4F8A-9C78-CF9DD8818FCA.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 2F1FB5E1-5C1E-4F4C-9EC2-1AED4E34AE5F.png
    2F1FB5E1-5C1E-4F4C-9EC2-1AED4E34AE5F.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DB0AC571-A93F-4491-8B2D-E59EEB207199.png
    DB0AC571-A93F-4491-8B2D-E59EEB207199.png
    328.6 KB · Views: 112
Hi all
ok I have been riding an orbea gain m20 for about 28 months 12500 miles with the app no issues all good
2nd ride
Motor maps don’t work
so remaing battery for ride % all over the place which it would be as it uses battery voltage to calculate
but external extra battery KW has a used figure so appears it is mixing up main battery with external extra battery even if you don’t have one
I don’t have one
Error 32 comms issue
Pulsa one works perfectly and includes correct battery % except distance calculation for battery same as app all over the place
MAHLE please get this sorted releasing a new system with this many issues should not happen
Welcome to the strange fascinating world of Mahle error 32. I have had it repeatedly at first. And all the book says is “communication error”. Which is supposed to reassure us.

First of all I would check on the support page of the Mahle website and download the latest firmware versions in case yours is still running the original ones from before August. This download helped a lot and I hardly ever get error 32 now.

There are no motor maps available yet for the X20. They are coming in a future firmware release.

I find the iOS app almost useless. It drains the battery on my iPhone 13 Pro so I have only it used recently to help JaviGPZ who is trying to improve the app. My Garmin Edge 530 gives me everything I need to know.

But I hope you love your addict 20 as much as I love mine. To me the flaky app is a minor niggle compared to how good the bike is.

Welcome to the strange fascinating world of Mahle error 32. I have had it repeatedly at first. And all the book says is “communication error”. Which is supposed to reassure us.

First of all I would check on the support page of the Mahle website and download the latest firmware versions in case yours is still running the original ones from before August. This download helped a lot and I hardly ever get error 32 now.

There are no motor maps available yet for the X20. They are coming in a future firmware release.

I find the iOS app almost useless. It drains the battery on my iPhone 13 Pro so I have only it used recently to help JaviGPZ who is trying to improve the app. My Garmin Edge 530 gives me everything I need to know.

But I hope you love your addict 20 as much as I love mine. To me the flaky app is a minor niggle compared to how good the bike is.
Not to bothered about the error 32 it just a bug as it does not effect the bikes function it is frustrating that the app is so flaky as the the app on the orbea x35 worked perfectly
I am disappointed that MAHLE put this system out with these bugs
So 2 rides in on the Scott not sure yet against the orbea m20
The Scott is different 12.3kg with mud guards and light orbea 14.2 kg
But orbea has marathon + tyres with slim tubes built or off no punctured at all this add about 1.3kg so Scott is lighter not by much
I am not noticing a lot of difference between the 2 they are different
Bigger Tyres, gear ratios, DI vs mechanical Small to medium frame
So like the bike but not a massive difference between the the 2 bikes
Just need to ride more
I think the Scott has the edge

Not to bothered about the error 32 it just a bug as it does not effect the bikes function it is frustrating that the app is so flaky as the the app on the orbea x35 worked perfectly
I am disappointed that MAHLE put this system out with these bugs
So 2 rides in on the Scott not sure yet against the orbea m20
The Scott is different 12.3kg with mud guards and light orbea 14.2 kg
But orbea has marathon + tyres with slim tubes built or off no punctured at all this add about 1.3kg so Scott is lighter not by much
I am not noticing a lot of difference between the 2 they are different
Bigger Tyres, gear ratios, DI vs mechanical Small to medium frame
So like the bike but not a massive difference between the the 2 bikes
Just need to ride more
I think the Scott has the edge
That’s interesting - I’m always dubious of people reporting huge advances because I find improvements come in increments rather than huge leaps forward. I have spoken to riders who find the highest setting of the X20 to be so strong that it feels like cheating and I know exactly what they mean, but following a disastrous ride thanks to Garmin sending me up a fellside which resulted in me pushing and carrying the bike for 7 miles through bogs and non existent footpaths, I was very very grateful for a setting that got me the last 12 miles home, soaked and exhausted with very little effort.

That’s interesting - I’m always dubious of people reporting huge advances because I find improvements come in increments rather than huge leaps forward. I have spoken to riders who find the highest setting of the X20 to be so strong that it feels like cheating and I know exactly what they mean, but following a disastrous ride thanks to Garmin sending me up a fellside which resulted in me pushing and carrying the bike for 7 miles through bogs and non existent footpaths, I was very very grateful for a setting that got me the last 12 miles home, soaked and exhausted with very little effort.
Hi
This is definitely not a huge leap forward but it is a forward step in many areas except the app gone backwards but the then Scott is 2 kg lighter so should be quicker on the flat and in hills and it is but not that much is the the motor toque increase noticeable hmmm it should show itself on the flat
but it’s a lighter bike so again it’s the motor or that the motor and the bike lighter so I am comparing apples with different apples
I went from a Orbea D50 alloy bike with X35 to carbon m20 x35 wow that was a big difference it was very noticeable speed up hill and flat totally different because it was a 4kg weight difference but I lost weight too
So there is a difference here but not massive so still assessing noticed more of a difference on this ride today so work on progress
But the comments highest level feels like cheating hmmmm
from a standard road to ebike yes big difference
Ebike to ebike no
But here the thing
I see guys who have sub 8kg bikes
They avoid the hills I don’t I do 8 hills every day and even if I do 50% power up the hill I am still working hard vs the rider who avoid the hill
Where the ebike rider does the work is after 15.5 miles an hour when the motor stops and now you are pulling a 12kg bike against an 8kg bike so you are working much harder so who is cheating the ride with the 7kg bike or the e bike rider
The rider on the 7kg bought that bike because it was lighter so to go fast
I bought my e bike to enjoy the ride
Doing 8 big hills every day of the year can be soul destroying
Not with an ebike it’s enjoyable
I can keep up with most 8kg bikes on the flat not all but very few pass me they hit a hill and I am on them and pass them
but the fact I can keep up and rolling at 25miles an hour is testimate to my fitness and leg strength no motor at this speed
So my opinion is do ebike make riding easier yes an no but it makes it more enjoyable I am 61 and I ride 25 miles everyday I love it
It takes the stings out of the hills
Then you do the work when the motor cuts out

Gratulations to your Scott Addict eRide. So you also have the 20 then?

Error 32 comes up every time I use the Mahle app. Actually I stopped using it, it just displays errors and things like motor maps not implemented yet. It frustrates more than it helps (I have the latest version and latest bike / charger firmware).

I use my Garmin Edge 830 for the rides. It has alll the necessay information. Did a 70 km ride at the seaside today- 95% in green mode, a few hills in purple mode, most of the time around 27-30km/h so engine is disengaged anyway.

Got today though second time in 2 weeks on my Garmin the Mahle error 54 (motor controller current too high) displayed. But that all, it did not impact riding performance.

When I first openened the handbook I was pretty irritated by a 4,5 pages error list. I also own a Specialized bike with the propriatory 1.1 engine built by Mahle and the handbook does not have an error list that long, nor did I ever get an error when riding. Maybe a tell-tale on how instable the software of the X20 still is?

NB I got another flat tire today when crossing Copenhagen. This time also the tyre was damaged (a small piece of glass was the culprit). Again I was lucky to find an open bke shop on a Sunday just 350 metres away. He did not have a 700x30c wheel but said 700x28c would work too. slightly more narrow Schwalbe wheel now but as a goody it has reflectors. Hopefully no more rides with flat tyres in the near future. Maybe I should avoid crossing city centre at all when going for longer rides. Simply too much debris on the otherwise high quality cycle paths.

I love the SRAM electronic gear shifts and the speed of this bike. Probably could also have bought the Addict w/o motor (I am in my mid 50s and beginner to racing bikes) but it is nice to be able to get an extra push at hills or styrong winds coming from the front

@Veteran the Android team found the issue about not connect with the bike after a first ride. Will be on the next update at the end of November. Thanks for your help.
Also we found an issue about lost some activities, on that update the app automatically will recover old activities that still on the app but was not synced with our server.

Best regards

Hi all
2nd ride
Motor maps don’t work
I don’t have one
Error 32 comms issue
Hello Dave,

I am sorry about your experience with our app with X20.
About the % of the battery is an issue that we detect the past week. I found the solution and will be relese on the next update of the app that we plan at the end of November.
Motor maps will be ready just after the next firmware update of the bike. That version will be ready soon but we do not have date yet, we are making the last tests on it. The error 32 also will be fixed after this firmware update.

Best regards
Javier

Hello everyone,
Looking at the Mahle page, I see that there is a recent update to the X35 system firmware. Unfortunately there is no information about what is achieved with this update, so I would like to know if anyone has any experience with it and if you can share your experience and knowledge. Why is necesary to update the firmware ? Thank you very much.
Antonio

Attachments

• 2022-11-01 15_43_13-SmartBike system update - MAHLE SmartBike Systems — Mozilla Firefox.png
    2022-11-01 15_43_13-SmartBike system update - MAHLE SmartBike Systems — Mozilla Firefox.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for keeping us all informed JaviGPZ. The local bike shop guys are quite envious - “You talk to someone at Mahle? And they REPLY? Wow, they never reply to us. We’re just their dealer….”

Thank you Javier thanks for getting back to me MAHLE just got back to me saying the same
As for the question from Antonio
I believe the update firmware on the x35 was just for the battery
But don’t know the details
The problem here is you have to go back to the dealer
I did not bother as my bike is running well

I did not bother as my bike is running well

Sensible. I have an irritating rattle on the Scott which comes and goes more or less as it likes. The thought of someone dismantling it and putting it back together again does not fill me with confidence.

Back