York County,Pa. USA YCP Bans all ebikes on local rail trail

IMG_1565.jpg

Unfortunately you would need one of those signs every 50’ before it would sink in to most MUP users. Kudos to them for at least trying.

Fellow E-bikers, we're making some noise down here in southern Pennsylvania. My phone has been blowing up with support from people I have never met! Its amazing. I've been contacted by another TV news person doing an in depth story regarding "riders growing frustration with local e-bike laws". Hopefully, I'll be able to add to this momentum we seem to be generating. We need a constant stream of letters and emails to local media and public officials to keep this policy debate moving in the right direction. Remember: keep it clean, keep it heart felt and respectful, but make sure they know how you feel about losing your favorite trail. This isn't going to happen overnight, I'm in it for the long haul. We are formulating a strategy to approach the parks advisory board. When that happens , we will need to show up in strength. Anyone within a reasonable distance from York, Pa will be welcome to show up. I have no idea if we'll all get to speak or get thrown out on our butt, we can't lay down and give up.

In other news , I've just heard of the first confirmed report of an e-biker being stopped by park rangers and told to leave the trail immediately. No fine was issued. New sign boards are going up at the entrances to the trail from parking areas. Looks like its game on.

Fellow E-bikers, we're making some noise down here in southern Pennsylvania. My phone has been blowing up with support from people I have never met! Its amazing. I've been contacted by another TV news person doing an in depth story regarding "riders growing frustration with local e-bike laws". Hopefully, I'll be able to add to this momentum we seem to be generating. We need a constant stream of letters and emails to local media and public officials to keep this policy debate moving in the right direction. Remember: keep it clean, keep it heart felt and respectful, but make sure they know how you feel about losing your favorite trail. This isn't going to happen overnight, I'm in it for the long haul. We are formulating a strategy to approach the parks advisory board. When that happens , we will need to show up in strength. Anyone within a reasonable distance from York, Pa will be welcome to show up. I have no idea if we'll all get to speak or get thrown out on our butt, we can't lay down and give up.

In other news , I've just heard of the first confirmed report of an e-biker being stopped by park rangers and told to leave the trail immediately. No fine was issued. New sign boards are going up at the entrances to the trail from parking areas. Looks like its game on.

Hey there everybody, Ive been thinking of getting together somewhere for coffee and come up with a game plan. Unity in numbers will speak volumes. Ive also thought about contacting ask Evan on Fox 43 ? Here are some phone numbers and addresses to for Governor Tom Wolf and Senators and Representatives. Start calling and let them know how we feel.

Governor Tom Wolf
508 Main Capital Building
Harrisburg, Pa. 17120
717-787-2500
[email protected]

Senator Kristen Phillips Hill
PO Box 277
Jacobus, Pa. 17407
717-741-4648

Representative Katie Klunk
11505 Susquehanna Trail South.
Glen Rock, Pa. 17327
717-630-8942 or toll free
855-282-0612

Representative Mike Jones
305 Leaders Heights Rd.
York, Pa. 17402
717-428-9889

Sorry guys(gals) I mis-spoke about new trail signage. that is happening on the Maryland section. I'm not sure what that's about yet.

I ride the trail 3-4 times a week and have yet to see any EBikes Prohibited signage nor a Ranger that will give you any trouble. I spoke with Tammy Klunk via phone and we had a debate about ebikes. She told me the ebikes are considered motor vehicles and it falls under the motor vehicle section of the trail rules. I tried to explain to her my fat tire pedal assist ebike is NOT a motorized vehicle. And she also told me people ride them recklessly and the rail trail is family orientated. I replied most of the people I have ever seen ride ebikes are 50+ crowd. Ive seen more speed racers with road bikes ride recklessly on the trail. Long story short is, I was getting nowhere and more frustrated. Basically the vibe I get from York County is every County around us has prohibited ebikes so we should too. I was also was told her office gets alot of complaints about ebikes. She asked if I wanted to file a complaint. I filed a complaint with her office that ebikes should be allowed and if there have been no accidents reported to her office ever, how can they ban something that has never happened? I also followed up with a lengthly phone call to our Senator Mrs Kristen Phillips Hill's office who is looking into this as well. I explained to her office the economic impact this could have on the small towns and local businesses. Hope to hear something back soon.

Please check out People for Bikes - They will advocate for Class 1 eBike -

https://peopleforbikes.org/our-work/e-bikes/

Currently, a regulatory / policy analyst is getting involved at this juncture regarding the York County PA Heritage trail.

Last week, they made contact with York County Parks who indicated that there was no ban on class 1 bikes. Ms. Klunk's public comments now allow for further action to make certain that they are educated to make certain that as they identify self-powered scooters and high-speed bikes and electric mopeds, Class 1 eBikes are not swept in with legislation.

Click the buttons below to access more information about e-bikes:

For more information:
  • Morgan Lommele, director of state + local policy, [email protected]
  • Sign up to receive quarterly e-bike market data, policy updates, and consumer news here.

Last edited:

Currently, a regulatory / policy analyst is getting involved at this juncture regarding the York County PA Heritage trail.

Last week, they made contact with York County Parks who indicated that there was no ban on class 1 bikes. Ms. Klunk's public comments now allow for further action to make certain that they are educated to make certain that as they identify self-powered scooters and high-speed bikes and electric mopeds, Class 1 eBikes are not swept in with legislation.

For more information:
  • Sign up to receive quarterly e-bike market data, policy updates, and consumer news here.
Thats awesome news. Today i

For more information:
Thats great news , I spoke with York County Commissioner Chris Reilly and explained a few things to him and he was very positive and asked if I and all fellow ebikers would come to the June Heritage rail trail meeting in Loganville,pa and express our concerns and bring a few bikes and let the board check them out and see what they are all about.

WOW!!! Is it true that PEOPLE For BIKES is getting involved?? When is this June meeting on the trail taking place?? I want a seat at the table!!!
Re Baxterblack " YCP said they have no ban on class 1 ebikes is total BS!! They told me out right "ALL ebikes are banned from the trail" I mean YCP is doubling back! This is huge!!! Among other documents I have obtained this week, one of them is a Senate Co-Sponsorship Memoranda dated 2/15/2013 for Session 2013-14 From Senator Mike Smith. To: all Senate Members Subject: Defining E-bikes in the PA Vehicle code. First sentence: "In the near future I will be introducing legislation that creates a new and separate definition in the vehicle code for electric-assist bicycles or E-bikes. This definition will clarify that electric-assist bicycles are not motorized vehicles and therefore not subject to vehicle inspection, vehicle registration, titling or required to be insured." The memo goes on to say : "... a new definition is established in the Vehicle Code: Pedalcycle with electric-assist..." This language is in the current Pa Act 75 Vehicle code and goes farther describing "Pedalcycle" as "human powered with pedals or a pedalcycle with electric assist" NO distinction between the two for regulatory purposes.

Also from Penn DOT or PA DOT: Fact sheet on Mopeds, Motor-driven Cycles and Motorcycles. At the end of the moped section in Bold Print: : A Pedalcycle with electric assist is defined as less than 100lbs, not more than 750 w, 20 mph top spd …….. " Pedalcycles with electric assist are considered a bicycle and do not need registration" etc

I was searching around online the other day to see what rules cover the Torrey Brown trail that connects to the Heritage Rail trail at the Maryland state line. I was surprised to see a new rule has been added to the rules and regulations page.
NO ELECTRIC BICYCLES. This is probably why signs will be going up on that trail shortly. According to People For EBikes website e-bikes are allowed on bike paths in Maryland. The Maryland dnr site bans e-bikes from any bike trail in a state park.

WOW!!! Is it true that PEOPLE For BIKES is getting involved?? When is this June meeting on the trail taking place?? I want a seat at the table!!!
Re Baxterblack " YCP said they have no ban on class 1 ebikes is total BS!! They told me out right "ALL ebikes are banned from the trail" I mean YCP is doubling back! This is huge!!! Among other documents I have obtained this week, one of them is a Senate Co-Sponsorship Memoranda dated 2/15/2013 for Session 2013-14 From Senator Mike Smith. To: all Senate Members Subject: Defining E-bikes in the PA Vehicle code. First sentence: "In the near future I will be introducing legislation that creates a new and separate definition in the vehicle code for electric-assist bicycles or E-bikes. This definition will clarify that electric-assist bicycles are not motorized vehicles and therefore not subject to vehicle inspection, vehicle registration, titling or required to be insured." The memo goes on to say : "... a new definition is established in the Vehicle Code: Pedalcycle with electric-assist..." This language is in the current Pa Act 75 Vehicle code and goes farther describing "Pedalcycle" as "human powered with pedals or a pedalcycle with electric assist" NO distinction between the two for regulatory purposes.

Happy Memorial Day Everyone, Here are the dates of the next York County Rail Trail Authority meetings. I will be attending the June meeting and it says on the bottom of the page "We'd love to hear from you". I would encourage everyone to try and make this meeting. These are the meetings the county Commissioner comes too and wants to hear from all of us ebikers and see and ride a few bikes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190527-071701_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190527-071701_Chrome.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 463
Happy Memorial Day Everyone, Here are the dates of the next York County Rail Trail Authority meetings. I will be attending the June meeting and it says on the bottom of the page "We'd love to hear from you". I would encourage everyone to try and make this meeting. These are the meetings the county Commissioner comes too and wants to hear from all of us ebikers and see and ride a few bikes.
That's the meeting we just went to, two weeks ago. See this post: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-ebikes-on-local-rail-trail.27968/post-196611

They are in support of us, but have no control of any park regulations. They directed us to the Park Advisory Board meeting, which is the third Tuesday of the month at Nixon Park.

This isn't just a Rail Trail issue, it's a countywide parks department issue.

For general information: The next meeting of the parks advisory board is July 16, 2019 at Nixon Park 5922 Nixon Dr. York, Pa. 17403
It's disappointing they moved to bimonthly meetings and the June meeting is no longer on the schedule. That limits our opportunity to straighten out this issue for 2019. Slow government, moving slower.

Here in Western Pennsylvania I’ve had no issues on any urban (Pittsburgh) or regional rail trails. At the start of the GAP trail, from Pittsburgh to D.C. the city of Pittsburgh has a 15mph speed limit for all bicycles. From my experience the riders who exceed 15mph are the road bikers. Instead of he says, he says why doesn’t York County do a real survey, set up a camera and speed sensor and see who actually rides recklessly on the path. I’ll try to post a photo of Pittsburgh speed limit sign.

Class I ebikes have been allowed on most of the GAP since 2011 to maintain compliance with the ADA. As of last summer, only the MD portion of the GAP had not formally allowed ebikes, and this may have changed in the meantime.

Google “GAP ebikes” to pull up the original 2011 article in the Post-Gazette. Also confirmed in conversation with Paul Wiegman (ATA member).

At the meeting, JR, please point out I had been considering as a tourist from Indiana, riding the Pennsylvania rail trail on e-bicycle. This involves stays in motels & meals in restaurants; I camped professionally in the Army and am done with that. With my Army destroyed knees, I carry electric assist at all times on my bike in case a knee locks up. I don't pedal on bad knee day, so I have one of those scary class 3 throttles. My usual speed, electric or self propelled, is 8 mph. If York County Pennsylvania wants me to spend my money elsewhere, they can ban e-bikes on the rail trail. I won't be driving there. I gave cars up 11 years ago. I won't be renting a van and toting the bike around their county, either. I will just stay out of Pennsylvania, spending my tourist dollars elsewhere, say the Katy trail in Missouri. 15 mph speed limit is not a problem for me. .
As for those two club riders that think electric assisted bicycles are so contemptable, where did they serve your country? In the Navy, I suppose their knees would be fine. I served the 1st Infantry Division during the Iranian hostage crisis, where I upped readiness measurably by finding repair parts for orphan equipment. Our usual run in combat boots was 2.5 miles, but there were 6.5 miles runs occasionally. Hence I have no cartlege left in the knees: I donated it to our defense. I feel empowered to see this country outside of an automobile.

Last edited:
Class I ebikes have been allowed on most of the GAP since 2011

While that is true for the GAP, the 184 mile C&O portion from DC to Cumberland, MD has a National Park Service ban on ebikes, and the wording of the new MD ebikes law permits local jurisdictions to regulate. It's frustrating and detracts from the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's Great American Rail-Trail effort

The Force is with us, though, I believe. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, and you can't stop the growing popularity of ebikes. Europe is admittedly way ahead of us on this, but I did read a tour report the other day from a couple touring France on regular bikes, where they noted that one day last week more than half the bikes going up Mont Ventoux were ebikes. Imagine that two years ago! As Indianajo mentions, bike touring people spend money as well, and ebike people spend more than acoustic people I think due to more credit card type touring. It won't change overnight, and the work must be done, but these things are not going away and money talks :)

While that is true for the GAP, the 184 mile C&O portion from DC to Cumberland, MD has a National Park Service ban on ebikes, and the wording of the new MD ebikes law permits local jurisdictions to regulate. It's frustrating and detracts from the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's Great American Rail-Trail effort

Certainly the situation is not ideal, but how often do you bump into a ranger/LEO on the C&O? I grew up with the C&O in my back yard, and I’d say not often. I also think that they are not interested in seeing people abandon the route in Cumberland — we already lose a lot of riders to weather, mud, ruts and sometimes unpleasant detours. All the lock house renovation/rentals are to promote more riders in the park, not fewer.

The principle difficulty is that there isn’t a paved route in the “park.” There’s only one way through, so they can’t divert ebikes to a paved route. I am not immediately worried about the C&O although it is prudent to think about the longer term, I agree.

Is there something about the “model legislation” in MD that is different from that implemented elsewhere? I would guess that allowing local jurisdictions to regulate is key to passage everywhere, unfortunately. This is how sausage gets made. I’ve been on trails all over the country which are nearly impassable by bike because compromises had to be made with other stakeholders in the area like ATVs.

There are only two jurisdictions that are Great American Rail-Trail complete: MD/DC. I suspect there will mobility solutions beyond what we envision today by the time there’s real progress on the project. I agree with your expression of frustration but am perhaps more hopeful that we’ll muddle through it all.

Back