York County,Pa. USA YCP Bans all ebikes on local rail trail

I think this is a kind of "panic banning." I think the pendulum will surely swing the other way, as ebikes become more and more common ... law-abiding ebikers will raise their voices, and that their numbers will only increase. Another solution, such as posted speed limits, will be found. In the meantime, shame on them!

Do they have plenty of enforcement personnel? Must municipalities have horrible shortages.

WOW, its great to hear from so many members on this subject. Some additional Info: Re trail signage- there isn't any YET, but there will be soon. The notification I got was ahead of public discloser and a personal courtesy. That being said, it doesn't change anything. As far as I am aware, the Maryland portion of the trail is still ebike rideable. In fact, they seem to be more in line with the general trend of acceptance. My hope is that people/organizations/ ebike retailers, anyone for that matter, that can rally with some guidance or plan to try to reverse this decision. My next plan is to attend the next monthly meeting of the York County Rail Trail Authority in Seven Valleys, PA. They are always asking for public input, so they're about to get some!!! Once the signage is in place and the ban posted, I will formally contact the park director. Next stop-editorial page of our local news paper. We'll see what happens.

Good luck Shoestring. Maryland just passed the 3-class people-for-bikes/bpsa model ebike legislation to take effect October 1, so the default position there ought to be Class 1 & 2 ebikes are permitted where bicycles may ride. However the wording provides for regulation by "a local authority or state agency with jurisdiction over the bicycle path", and so for example the C&O canal trail in Maryland is run by the National Park Service who still ban ebikes from the trail.

Given the press releases last week from the Rails to Trails Conservancy about a Great American Rail Trail it might be worth testing their commitment to supporting ebikes where you live. At present substantial sections of rail trails along the proposed route ban ebikes like the C&O mentioned above, Rails to Trails Conservancy need our support to make GART happen and the last paragraph of this article in BRAIN makes interesting reading - REI sponsor RTC in part to "enable ebiking" so it might be worth reaching out to REI and RTC.

Last edited:
WOW, its great to hear from so many members on this subject. Some additional Info: Re trail signage- there isn't any YET, but there will be soon. The notification I got was ahead of public discloser and a personal courtesy. That being said, it doesn't change anything. As far as I am aware, the Maryland portion of the trail is still ebike rideable. In fact, they seem to be more in line with the general trend of acceptance. My hope is that people/organizations/ ebike retailers, anyone for that matter, that can rally with some guidance or plan to try to reverse this decision. My next plan is to attend the next monthly meeting of the York County Rail Trail Authority in Seven Valleys, PA. They are always asking for public input, so they're about to get some!!! Once the signage is in place and the ban posted, I will formally contact the park director. Next stop-editorial page of our local news paper. We'll see what happens.

The town of New Freedom on the trail is heavily invested in their Civil War Era steam locomotive. I don't think they will be too happy about the negative effect on tourism this ebike ban will have. Let them hear your thoughts!! : http://www.steamintohistory.com/contact/

Another place to vent is the York County Regional Chamber of Commerce: https://www.yorkcountychamber.com/ Click on the link at the bottom of the page to leave a message.

Other places to voice your displeasure:

The York Better Business Bureau : https://www.bbb.org/us/pa/york/news Click on "Contact" at the bottom of the page.

The York County Economic Alliance: https://www.yceapa.org/ Leave a message at the bottom of the page.

We here at EBR represent a large group with a common interest. If enough of us send personal emails expressing our concern to organizations like these, we CAN exert pressure on those small minded individuals who want to ban ebikes.

@ebikemom: Would it be possible to set up a place at EBR where members could post specific trail closures or anti ebike regulations and the email addresses of those involved like I have done above? If enough of us get involved by sending personal emails (EBR would not be directly involved), we may be able to quell this anti ebike movement.

Does the Rails To Trails Conservancy have any kind of official policy statement regarding e-bikes? Could they be an advocacy group on this issue? Are there any other e-bike advocacy groups that could be involved?

Does the Rails To Trails Conservancy have any kind of official policy statement regarding e-bikes? Could they be an advocacy group on this issue? Are there any other e-bike advocacy groups that could be involved?

This policy statement is on their website https://www.railstotrails.org/resourcehandler.ashx?id=11762, and a webpage describing various pilot programs https://www.railstotrails.org/build...g-toolbox/management-and-maintenance/e-bikes/

Dave Holcombe is the PennDOT Bicycle coordinator for York County [email protected], Craig Walt [email protected] in the City of York Bureau of Health is on the steering committee of Bicycle South Central Pennsylvania, Joe Montminy [email protected] is the current President of the Hanover Cyclers club that rides around York County, might be worth getting their take.

Last edited:
Usually these boards take public comment before changing policies. Is there an email for the boad that decides the policy?

Usually these boards take public comment before changing policies. Is there an email for the boad that decides the policy?

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 335
Seven Valleys, PA 17360
Physical Location: (Office)
Hanover Junction Train Station on the Heritage Rail Trail
2433 Seven Valleys Rd. (RT 616)
Seven Valleys, PA 17360
Phone: (717) 428-0999
Office hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8:30 AM-5 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM-2:30 PM

York PA rail trail - I called the heritage Rail trail office: They do not know about class 1 vs throttle + speed ped elec !
Class 1: Pedal Assist
The electric drive system on the ebike can only be activated through a pedaling action and is limited to relatively low speeds. The sensor usually measures pedal movement, pedal torque or bicycle speed (sometimes all three) and sensors are located in the bottom bracket, rear hub or rear wheel. In parts of Europe this class is limited to 15 mph (25 kph) with motor wattage <= 250 watts. In America, because of our more liberal vehicle definition, this class is limited to a motor powered speed of 20 mph (32 kph) with motor wattage of <= 750 watts. Due to the low speed of operation and required pedaling action this class should benefit from the same rights and access privileges as non-assist bicycles and should be able to be used on streets, bike lanes, multi-use bike paths and off-road trails.

Class 2: Throttle On Demand
The electric drive system on the ebike can be activated through a throttle element such as a grip-twist, trigger or button and is limited to low speeds. The motor system may also be activated through a pedaling action as with Class 1. In parts of Europe this class would be considered a motor vehicle and is prohibited from use on trails and other bicycle-specific infrastructure and is therefore less common. For those locations where it is allowed in Europe, the top speed is limited to 15 mph (25 kph) with motor wattage <= 250 watts as with Class 1. In America this class is currently less restricted and therefore more common. The top speed is limited to 20 mph (32 kph) with motor wattage of <= 750 watts as with Class 1. Due to the low speed of operation without the required pedaling action, this class may be a bit more restricted but still benefit from the same rights and access privileges on paved surfaces as non-assist bicycles and should be able to be used on streets, bike lanes and multi-use bike paths.

Class 3: Speed Pedelec
The electric drive system on the ebike can be activated through a pedaling action to reach higher top speeds. In parts of Europe this class is also considered a motor vehicle and requires special licensing, the use of an identification plate at the rear of the bike may be required and use is limited to roads or private property only with a maximum speed ~28 mph (~45 kph). In America this class could still be considered a “low-speed electric bicycle” if human power propels the bike above 20 mph and as such, does not require special licensing but may be even more restricted to roads, adjacent bike lanes or on private property with a maximum speed ~28 mph (~45 kph) and motor wattage of <= 750 watts. In America, this class is often combined with Class 2 which produces bikes that have a throttle element capable of powering the rider up to 20 mph (32 kph) on motor power only, as well as a pedal assist mechanism capable of powering the rider up to 28 mph (45 kph). In parts of Europe, where throttles are less common, most Class 3 electric bikes only offer pedal assist.

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 335
Seven Valleys, PA 17360
Physical Location: (Office)
Hanover Junction Train Station on the Heritage Rail Trail
2433 Seven Valleys Rd. (RT 616)
Seven Valleys, PA 17360
Phone: (717) 428-0999
Office hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8:30 AM-5 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM-2:30 PM
The rail trail authority meets 7pm, 2nd Tuesday of every month at that address. That's tomorrow night! Although anyone is welcome, I do not know if there is time allowed for public comment. I guess I'll find out tomorrow night.

The rail trail authority meets 7pm, 2nd Tuesday of every month at that address. That's tomorrow night! Although anyone is welcome, I do not know if there is time allowed for public comment. I guess I'll find out tomorrow night.

I was looking to review past meeting minutes to determine if the subject has been discussed ( and that they understand that Class 1 should be considered ok, however, I was not able to access even though it appears that the minutes should be readable - the website confirms meeting tomorrow and states "ach meeting begins with an opportunity for public comment about the projects of the Authority or other proposed rail trail projects."

It always seems simplest to me that a 15mph speed limit be posted on MUP’s and ALL users abide by that.
The trail system itself has a 20mph top speed that I have not found posted on the trail system, although I can't ever recall seeing it posted on any bulletin boards, although it may be posted at Hanover Junction and at the PA/MD line. Its generally acknowledged via their website, buried in there at some point. The MD trail system further lowers the speed limit to 15. I admit to riding above 20 over open stretches, but I greatly reduce my speed when I'm passing oncoming traffic and call out every pass on a slower rider before I go around them. Ride safely and respect other riders is my golden rule.

Contact Peopleforbikes. They help get appropriate legislation put into place across the US. They may be able to advise steps to take.

Four of us local ebikers are attending the monthly rail trail authority meeting tonight. We need to know the county's official reasoning behind this before coming up with a game plan.

Four of us local ebikers are attending the monthly rail trail authority meeting tonight. We need to know the county's official reasoning behind this before coming up with a game plan.

would one of the "Gang of Four"+ who can attend the meeting bring your class 1 ebike - for show and tell - The best case scenario here is for the decision to allow the policy to mirror polocies that have been approved elsewhere . Ft Collins CO is a good example to reference

Back