My Favorite Bike Trails in the Northeastern US

They've finally opened the final South bound leg of the Old Putnam Line Rail_trail where the South County Trail turns into the Putnam Greenway and into Van Cortlandt Park/Bronx... past the pond and along side the golf course and then the park.
There are men still working on cleanup but the path is accessible. I hope they address the poor grading at the North marker where you can see you are greeted by a large puddle after a heavy rain.

IMAG0468.jpg
IMAG0471.jpg

We ride the Erie canal very often and I can't begin to say which part is my favorite. I love that going into Rochester and beyond it really opens up on the canal. But at the same time going out of Fayetteville to Oneida offers different sights along the way, I love the rows of turtles basking on the logs. Little Falls area is very cool with the rock cutaways and one of our first rides this year was from Lockport to Buffalo! Our rides average 40-55 miles most times.
One ride we don't do as often because of the people count and traffic, is the trail going around Onondaga lake. We went this past Sunday since it was cooler we figured the traffic would be better and it was. Also we didn't realize it until we got around to the State fair side and found that they had added another mile or so of trail! All in all when we got back to the car we had done a 20 mile ride, Not bad since when we started we usually only got a little over 10 because it didn't go nearly as far around. Supposedly they are still working to get it all the way around the lake. Where we turned around there was two large ramp structures on either side of the railroad tracks that weren't connected yet so they are obviously still working towards that goal.
I don't find the rail trails that boring, we have seen all kinds of wild life such as Deer, Geese, Bunnies, woodchucks (Baby ones too), squirrels, of course chipmunks, Quail, Turkey, Ducks and fish jumping completely out of the water and so much more, beautiful scenery, fresh wholesome air, color changes in the fall, people who live near the canal have many interesting backyards that butt up to the trail. I think if your bored you just need to look around more lol, it is so wonderful being out on the trail and away from the Rat race!

Over the past week they've added a few official Empire State bike stops at major entry points with a granite block bench, rack, maps, tools and a pump on the South County Trail at...
Great Hunger Memorial, Ardsley
Farragut Ave, Hastings On Hudson
Tibbetts Brook Park, Yonkers
There's been one near the transition from South County to North County Trail in Elmsford for some time now.

IMAG0478.jpg
IMAG0476.jpg
IMAG0472.jpg
IMAG0473.jpg

Curious how you transport your ebikes on your Subaru while towing that camper? On a roof rack?
I'm sorry bikeman, I missed this. I use a Swagman fat tire eBike hitch rack on the back of the Aliner ( its a pop up, if you didn't know) for my 26" fattie and my wife's folder goes inside the rig, right behind the entrance door. It fits perfect. Her bike counters the rear overhang and weight of my bike, sans battery of course, and tows perfectly, no sway what so ever.

Is skyline drive really safe for bikers? I live in northern Virginia and that would be an awesome ride. Anyone ever camp near it and bike it?? I'm looking for a place to camp for a few days and spend they days riding

Re Gionnirocket‘s post above… same story on the new Electric Trail from Albany down to Hudson. This is the parking area at Nassau Lake, for example. I have to say NYS is doing a terrific job on cycling infrastructure. The Champlain Canal path is receiving an update currently as well, very close to my house.

1635082349703.jpeg

Is skyline drive really safe for bikers? I live in northern Virginia and that would be an awesome ride. Anyone ever camp near it and bike it?? I'm looking for a place to camp for a few days and spend they days riding
I rode portions of the Skyline Drive about 6 years ago on my conventional Trek MTB. My brother followed behind in his car through the narrow sections with the 4 ways on. Although the scenery was beautiful, it was difficult to enjoy while keeping an eye on passing traffic. Drivers are also looking at the scenery and not paying as much attention to the road. It was a dangerous place to ride back then and I don't know if any improvements have been made to improve bike safety.

It could be somewhat different with a slightly faster e-bike and the drive is popular with cyclists but until they install bike lanes, I have no desire to go back.
Just my opinion though.

Humm.... I live up in the NORTH (N.H.) east and are trails don't seem to be listed hehe! Well if you ever find your self up in MT. Washington valley there is plenty of riding if you look.

Humm.... I live up in the NORTH (N.H.) east and are trails don't seem to be listed hehe! Well if you ever find your self up in MT. Washington valley there is plenty of riding if you look.
I guess you will have to post some trail reports from up your way. Actually all of New England has trails that aren't listed here yet.

I rode the Island Line Rail Trail in VT. 2 years ago. It's #14 on the list. Very nice paved trail that crosses part of Lake Champlain at one point.

The Lamoille Valley Rail Trail was another VT. ride:
Not bad but a bit rough in spots. There are also a few bridges missing which requires a detour. It needs a lot of work so it didn't make the list.

The Northern Trail in NH was another notable ride. It's #13 on the list:
Enjoyable & scenic in places but there were quite a few soft spots the last time I was up there.

If you haven't already done so. head east into Maine and do the carriage roads at Acadia National Park. Just Spectacular! #37 on the list.

The Cape Cod Trails in MA. are also worth a trip south. All paved and very scenic. #15.

I've ridden a great many trails in northern New England over the years. Keep in mind, the list I posted was just the notable ones. If you have a favorite ride up your way, by all means share and I'll add it to the list!

No need for trails where I live. None of our secondary roads are heavily traveled, so they're great for riding. My favorite ride takes me past 6 ponds (lakes to non new englanders) with a great lunch stop in the middle.

No need for trails where I live. None of our secondary roads are heavily traveled, so they're great for riding. My favorite ride takes me past 6 ponds (lakes to non new englanders) with a great lunch stop in the middle.
I ride the roads but love the trails that are mountain bike trails not just paved bike paths. I like to get a little sideways!

Work continues on the S. County Trail (former old Putnam Railway) in Westchester, NY.
From Ardsley to Elmsford were already resurfaced in late 2021.
IMAG1560~2.jpg

This section from Yonkers through Hastings should be done by mid April. Sections north and the N. County Trail were done in recent years. Sections south are still in good shape and into the Bronx, Old Putnam Trail/Van Cortlandt Greenway which was completed last summer.

Work continues on the S. County Trail (former old Putnam Railway) in Westchester, NY.
From Ardsley to Elmsford were already resurfaced in late 2021.
View attachment 117002
This section from Yonkers through Hastings should be done by mid April. Sections north and the N. County Trail were done in recent years. Sections south are still in good shape and into the Bronx, Old Putnam Trail/Van Cortlandt Greenway which was completed last summer.
I've been planning to ride the South Country Trail but I've read conflicting reports of police issuing tickets to e-bike riders. Do you have any info on this?

The S. County Trail has been my daily ride for years now and police whether local, county or park are rarely seen and a ticket is unheard of. I occasionally continue on to the N. County Trail and I can say the same for the southern 5 - 8 miles.
Police around here typically do not get involved unless they see trouble. So spotting an eBike I doubt very much that they would care. Weaving through pedestrians or excessive speed, you'd probably have a problem.
I'll let you know when the trail is fully open as now I often have to detour onto the street around closed sections or ride through sloppy sections both do to the construction.

I mentioned the new Albany/Hudson Electric Trail above, but let me add a bit to that now that spring is around the corner… this is really nice. Virtually all of the Rensselaer County section (continuation from Albany) is newly paved. The Columbia County section is partially paved, but the rest is good hard crushed stone.

There is one section that goes about a mile and a half on a very low traveled and lovely county road (the picture of the house and waterfall is from that piece). Hardly any of the trail parallels a road… it’s out in the woods and fields where it belongs. Goes past one bike shop and through two very attractive villages, Kinderhook and Valatie. 26 miles one way, parking spots all along it.

1647610641923.jpeg

1647610683477.jpeg

1647610741784.jpeg

Back