Yet another CCX owner

Right, I just tie a rubber band on one side, take a ride and keep adjusting until I get about 1/3 of the fork sagging under my weight. That's what I've been doing since I competed in mountain biking eons ago. I do the very same thing with motorcycle forks. Someone else might prefer more or less sag/travel.

Did a longer ride today (32.7 miles), no problems on any hill (max 6%) and when I checked the motor temp it was basically at ambient (45F).

Tried to stay mostly in assist level 1 and even that is friggin amazing easily staying above 20mph on the flatter sections, I was having a hard time keeping my heart rate up (it was 10bpm less than normal). I guess I need to start trying eco on my next ride.

For some reason, the ergo grips on this bike cause my hands to go numb pretty quickly, I tried adjusting the angle a bit. Hopefully that fixes the numbness problem. If not, grips are easy and cheap to replace.

I also moved the brake levers in toward the stem to have more leverage on the levers and the brakes are so much more powerful now. This is common knowledge/practice but most bikes I have owned didnt need this adjustment for me. In doing so, I had to move the throttle to be inboard of the brake levers and display which can make it awkward to reach. I like the High power mode you can use with the throttle/assist but Im pretty sure Im going to be taking the throttle off (I can always add it back later).

Had an awkward/scary situation taking the bike from the den down a few steps into the garage. The bike was powered on and basically tried to take off. Maybe I hit the throttle but Im not sure how thats possible because in the end I was holding/fighting it with just my right hand. Removing the throttle will confirm if this might have been the issue.

DId about 5 miles on S assist level at 28mph on a flat section, its amazing how much faster 28mph feels compared to 20mph.

Also did about 1 mile going up a 5% slope on S assist level averageing right at 20mph. About 5mph more than my Bulls ebike and 3mph than my TSDZ2 DIY bike. Once again, motor temps were fine.

So the ride ended up being 32.7 miles 1230ft elevation change with an average speed of 17.1 which is about 2mph average more than what I can do on my Bulls eMTB(20mph limit) or DIY TSDZ2(no speed limit) bike and my heartrate was quite a bit lower as well. Total WH consumed was 521wh.

I ordered some Continental Racekings (2.2 for the front and 2.0 for the rear). I will provide updates when I ride these...likely friday

Last edited:
Did a longer ride today (32.7 miles), no problems on any hill (max 6%) and when I checked the motor temp it was basically at ambient (45F).

Tried to stay mostly in assist level 1 and even that is friggin amazing easily staying above 20mph on the flatter sections, I was having a hard time keeping my heart rate up (it was 10bpm less than normal). I guess I need to start trying eco on my next ride.

For some reason, the ergo grips on this bike cause my hands to go numb pretty quickly, I tried adjusting the angle a bit. Hopefully that fixes the numbness problem. If not, grips are easy and cheap to replace.

I also moved the brake levers in toward the stem to have more leverage on the levers and the brakes are so much more powerful now. This is common knowledge/practice but most bikes I have owned didnt need this adjustment for me. In doing so, I had to move the throttle to be inboard of the brake levers and display which can make it awkward to reach. I like the High power mode you can use with the throttle/assist but Im pretty sure Im going to be taking the throttle off (I can always add it back later).

Had an awkward/scary situation taking the bike from the den down a few steps into the garage. The bike was powered on and basically tried to take off. Maybe I hit the throttle but Im not sure how thats possible because in the end I was holding/fighting it with just my right hand. Removing the throttle will confirm if this might have been the issue.

DId about 5 miles on S assist level at 28mph on a flat section, its amazing how much faster 28mph feels compared to 20mph.

Also did about 1 mile going up a 5% slope on S assist level averageing right at 20mph. About 5mph more than my Bulls ebike and 3mph than my TSDZ2 DIY bike. Once again, motor temps were fine.

So the ride ended up being 32.7 miles 1230ft elevation change with an average speed of 17.1 which is about 2mph average more than what I can do on my Bulls eMTB(20mph limit) or DIY TSDZ2(no speed limit) bike and my heartrate was quite a bit lower as well. Total WH consumed was 521wh.

I ordered some Continental Racekings (2.2 for the front and 2.0 for the rear). I will provide updates when I ride these...likely friday
Link you went on a 33mi ride. What was battery v starting and ending? Just curious...………………………...

I've had this happen by bumping the pedals. Seems to me to be a cadence sensor thing, because not much torque there. I just make sure to have the bike turned off in those situations. Your experiment might produce a more permanent fix!

Man, I just went out for what I thought would be a 10 minute fun ride on my CCX. Turned into 46 minutes, 21.9mph moving average, 820ft elevation gain, 17 mile ride. Took it down the path and all the way up the toll road. Garmin says the top speed was 33.4mph. There is something surreal about riding these things on the flats in the bike lane along the road at 30mph that is indescribable unless you've done it. Haven't had this much fun on a bike since I was 12.

Man, I just went out for what I thought would be a 10 minute fun ride on my CCX. Turned into 46 minutes, 21.9mph moving average, 820ft elevation gain, 17 mile ride. Took it down the path and all the way up the toll road. Garmin says the top speed was 33.4mph. There is something surreal about riding these things on the flats in the bike lane along the road at 30mph that is indescribable unless you've done it. Haven't had this much fun on a bike since I was 12.

Are you using it in R mode? Some have reported that even in S mode, the ccx assists past 28 mph.

You can't legally ride a bike that assists beyond 28 mph in most states. Not unless you register it as a moped. I don't know how many riders actually are registering their bikes as mopeds or if DMV has a process for it.

It would help matters if you say what state you are in, or at least state what the bicycle vs moped speed and registration laws are in your state.

I'm in California, Dan. I just took it out at 30+ mph but that was in a bike lane on the road. Bike path I stay under 20mph - and the posted speed limit is 15mph. Both S and R get me over 30mph on flats. I'm 50 years old and 6'2 and 150 pounds. I have thousands of road bike miles but I would call myself an above average rider at best. 5 years ago I was a strong rider. It's not a problem to hold 30mph on S mode on the CCX for me.

I'm in California, Dan. I just took it out at 30+ mph but that was in a bike lane on the road. Bike path I stay under 20mph - and the posted speed limit is 15mph. Both S and R get me over 30mph on flats. I'm 50 years old and 6'2 and 150 pounds. I have thousands of road bike miles but I would call myself an above average rider at best. 5 years ago I was a strong rider. It's not a problem to hold 30mph on S mode on the CCX for me.

So in california, an ebike can only legally assist up to 28 mph. The ccx assists beyond this speed. My interpretation of the law is that if the bike does assist past 28 mph, it must legally be registered as a moped, requiring licensing and registration. Insurance as well?

What is your understanding of the legality of your bike and of your behavior? Do you believe you are operating within the law? Do you believe abiding by the law is important or even required? Please clarify.

All good points Dan. I turned off assist at the top of a very long climb and rode it down unassisted where I achieved my top speed of 33.4mph. This was under my own power.

On the road in the bike lane I was around 30mph- assisted. That's two mph over the 28mph limit. I'm personally comfortable with that. I'm also personally comfortable with 9mph over the speed limits on the freeways in LA - something I achieve daily.

I did legally register my bike with my city - mainly for insurance purposes if it is stolen.

I'm also comfortable in going 0-60 in my P85+ in under 4 seconds. I don't hit the speed limit but I could probably be cited for exhibition of speed - even though in a Tesla there's no engine revving and burning of tires. I've been doing that for 7 years. No tickets.

Got a couple kids. Married for 25 years. Don't drink. Don't smoke. Don't do drugs. No at-fault accidents - ever. Physics degree but sold out to sales years ago and can't even remember that Einstein guy's equation any more.

Fair enough sirjonathan.

I actually want to see juicedbikes succeed. I want to see them produce and sell a bike of the highest quality. Even more so, I want their customers to be treated right.

I have no grudges against juicedbikes. If and when they demonstrate they can produce a reliable product and provide customer service with honor, I will be in line with everyone else.

As once was said, well, I'll skip that line for now. Happy to see you enjoying your bike.

I want them to succeed too, Dan. I have no idea about their long-term ability to be solvent - or even to be around. I'm happy for now but I know things change in a hurry. I've been through hell with my early Model S and haven't had an issue in a year of ownership with our Model 3 so things have become much better at Tesla.

It's unnerving dropping $2500 on an eBike. With an analog bike you can take it anywhere and get it fixed. If this CCX starts having all kinds of electrical problems and they are out of business I'm left with a 60-lb bike with a $30 front shock. I guess if that happens I'll need to bulk up and chalk it up to a lesson learned!

I got the Continental Racekings in today and mounted them. The 2.2 on the front actually measures 2.1 and the 2.0 on the rear measure 1.9. I have them with tubes at 35psi, I didnt try the 2.2 on the rear, just rough guess is that it will barely contact the chainstays. The 2.0 in the rear seems perfect giving just enough clearance for any rare encounters with mud. Much better/thicker sidewalls than the WTB resolutes so should work tubeless without weeping although running tires this wide tubeless on 19mm (ID) rims probably isnt a good idea.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday--Wider-Rims-Are-Better-and-Why-Tubeless-Tires-Burp-.html

LOVE IT, wow these tires are just spot on and perfect for the gravel dirt conditions this bike will see (for now). This bike is perfectly setup for me.

I did 3 identical 14 mile rides back to back first on the CCX, then a Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ with Brose Drive, then on my DIY 26" rigid hardtail with 52V TSDZ2 conversion. I tried to be as consistent as possible having around the same heartrate, speed and perceived assist, since the Bulls is limited to 20mph I didnt pedal the CCX or TSDZ2 bike much over 20mph. I feel a car analogy would be CCX(Nissan GT-R), Bulls (Ford Raptor), TSDZ2 (Miata with 250RWHP turbo kit). All fun in their own ways.

Here is a quick summary(this is more FYI than anything else, what I really wanted to see was WH consumed which I will record when I recharge tomorrow). I am aware these are all quite different (the bulls feels like a monster truck with the 27.5x2.8 tires at 20psi). There is also no way to quantify actual assist levels but will mention them anyway, I just went for the same feel.

The ride was 13.95 miles, 633ft elevation change and 45F.

CCX - Average Heartrate = 112, Calories Consumed = 556, Average Speed=16.0mph, Assist Level 1
Bulls - Average Heartrate = 121, Calories Consumed = 696, Average Speed=15.0mph, Assist Level 3, definately some work keeping the big tire bike up to speed but 'magnificent' on the steeper climbs
TSDZ2 - Average Heartrate = 127, Calories Consumed = 696, Average Speed=16.4mph, Assist Level 3, assist levels are actually variable but level 3 seemed comparable, I got a little carried away on this one as this bike is just so nimble and fun to throw around.

We will see what the WH consumed are tomorrow.

Last edited:
I've had this happen by bumping the pedals. Seems to me to be a cadence sensor thing, because not much torque there. I just make sure to have the bike turned off in those situations. Your experiment might produce a more permanent fix!

Im pretty sure this is what happened, the pedals hit a step on the way down.

So the charging results are as follows (measured with wattmeter at the 120V power outlet so it includes charger efficiency).

CCX - 260wh
Bulls - 260wh
TSDZ2 - 310wh

What does it all mean, that up to others to determine, I just wanted to try it.

Lots of things to skew results like:
Different tires/tire pressure(ccx=29x2.2F,29x2.0R both at 35psi,tsdz2=26x2.1F/R at 35psi,bulls= 27.5x2.8 F/R at 15psi), psi measured with my new topeak digital psi gauge
Different Assist Levels (the TSDZ2 was set to 120% but I feel 100% would have been closer to the other two)
Different charger efficiencies (although likely very close)
The tester getting tired, likely upping my heartrate towards the end, the bulls gave me a good workout.

I was curious on middrive vs hub drive efficiency.

That being said, the bulls and TSDZ2 seemed like slugs compared to the CCX although they will be better for more serious offroad climbing.

Also, the CCX display showed 217wh used

Last edited:
I decided to get a longer seatpost for my CCX, the 350mm stock seatpost was right at the minimum insertion limit so I ordered a ritchey 400mm seatpost. I had to do the same thing for my Bulls eMTB which is also a approximate 18 inch frame.

Also decided to get a cycle satiator charger from juiced for quicker charge times. Quick delivery eventhough they were moving to their new location and were saying there would be shipping delays.

The rear brake doesnt make rubbing noises anymore, Im guessing the pads just needed to get a little clearance/wear pattern from use.

Did a 42mile ride today, mostly in eco and level 1. Wouldnt you know it, the wind picked up and turned into a 15mph headwind on the way home so about 8 miles in S mode thru rolling 4-6% hills doing 20mph+, thats one thing you gotta love about ebikes. Most of my rides are against the wind on the way back and its just so nice to have the assist. So 42 miles and 643 wh used with average speed of 17.5mph.

Encountered a bit of sticky clay like mud in a small section and feel like the tire choice (2.1F/1.9R measured) is perfect if this needs to be considered. There was some caking mud that rubbed against the fork and chainstays but it wasnt too bad.

Last edited:
Did a 42mile ride today, mostly in eco and level 1. Wouldnt you know it, the wind picked up and turned into a 15mph headwind on the way home so about 8 miles in S mode thru rolling 4-6% hills doing 20mph+, thats one thing you gotta love about ebikes. Most of my rides are against the wind on the way back and its just so nice to have the assist. So 42 miles and 643 wh used with average speed of 17.5mph.
Awesome! That 52 V 19 Ah battery is the nazz!

Back