X7 discussion

There won't be any spinning with the wire coming out of the sensor like this. The Eahora cadence sensor is just like this one except on our bikes, the wire exits the bottom vs the top in this photo. The Rattan bike in the photo uses the same motor and brakes as well.

By spinning, I meant the one piece units always operate as intended.

You get into the two piece sensors, with a separate magnet disk and the sensor fixed to the frame, now the air gap determines how far the magnet sits from the sensor, and if too wide, it will surge or quit working. Sometimes, the magnet disk looses its teeth, gets loose and skips. And sometime someone decides to grease the bearings, puts the disk back on backwards. Now it only works if you pedal backwards. Done that.

The one piece sensor is a great advance, except the one in my picture is too fat to fit between the pedal and frame on the bike I am currentlty converting.

Due to good weather and my schedule, I have put 75 miles on the X7 Plus in the first 3 days of ownership and it has performed above expectations. If I could change anything it would be the battery. 10.4ah only gives me 35 miles of pedal assist riding per charge and while adequate, a 14 or 17 Ah battery might give the 50 mile range I want. I have the Rattan XL (similar size and weight) on order equipped with a 17ah and a 750 watt motor so it will be interesting to compare.

I did not have to sign for delivery,

And I almost went for the Rattan XL but couldnt wait as long. So far I’ve put about 30ish miles on my X7 and I still have full charge! I have been trying to use the regen feature a lot on and off though and it seems to work really well! I noticed this morning after just throttling it I was able to get it to drop two bars, but then on my long downhill I put in lvl 1 assist and it charges it back up a bar! Then I left it in one and pedalled normal, but only going about 14mph and by the time I got to work it was back up to full.

Cool ! It's been freezing cold here so I will see how it does below 32° F and the snow . I can walk on our 20 inch snowpack I might try to ride on it tomorrow if the Fed Ex delivers today

I did not have to sign for delivery,

And I almost went for the Rattan XL but couldnt wait as long. So far I’ve put about 30ish miles on my X7 and I still have full charge! I have been trying to use the regen feature a lot on and off though and it seems to work really well! I noticed this morning after just throttling it I was able to get it to drop two bars, but then on my long downhill I put in lvl 1 assist and it charges it back up a bar! Then I left it in one and pedalled normal, but only going about 14mph and by the time I got to work it was back up to full.

That's interesting. I watched the X 5 Snow EBR review and thought that you had to be using level 0 (eg no PAS) in order for the regen to work. I found that when free wheeling or pedaling down hill using level 2 and speed was over 14mph, I was replenishing the battery and storing volts. I also noticed that when in Level 0 the regen created much more drag than in Level 1 or 2. That probably equates to more energy being generated in level 0 but at the cost of the increased drag.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a manual that spelled out all of these little details? Oh well, at least we can learn from each other.

From my understanding, the regen turns on when in 0 assist or lvl 1 assist, and when you go over 13ish mph. You can definitely feel it turn on. I slow down actually on the downhills because it resists to much, but really feels like its cranking back in energy. Lvl 2 and 3 I dont think regen, just goes faster and even faster and going downhill will just speed you up. But ya hard to tell actually without a manual! I’ve asked for one from them to learn how to deep setting in the controller work but nothing yet. They’ve been responsive until I asked for that it seems haha.

Well I just tried it and if you are coasting down hill or on the flat going 14 mph or more I feel the regen working. As soon as I pedal the PAS kicks in and of course, regen stops. I tried the same with Level 1 and was able to pedal and still feel the regen over 14 mph. Level 3 may have similar behaviour as Level 2 coasting but you might need to meet a higher minimum mph like 20. This anecdotal data is nice but a Users Guide/Manual is an essential piece of Kit. I too am sending emails on this (3 so far) with no response to the issue.

All that said, I am really liking the bike and I'm happy with the purchase

Same! Still liking it a lot though. Whats your opinions on the kickstand? Im finding it just slightly too long where the bike will stand with it, but its basically straight up and any little touch or wind could blow it over. Im trying to figure out how to shorten it maybe a half inch or so...

Also I noticed in P1 or P0 if going downhill and pedalling hard, once the speed gets to about 20ish the regen can’t handle it and gives up haha. So for my instance on my big hill I actually have to brake some to keep the speed down a little if I want it to build power. Of course P2 or 3 down the same hill just goes hard and I can hit like 38+mph.. but I think I’ll stick with slow and safe and build power. I do like how you can switch between the modes quickly to build speed but then turn it down to build juice for elevation changes.

Gotta love the crappy service Fed Ex provides ! My bike just took a 200 mile joyride around West Central Idaho and back to it's location this morning ! No attempt made LOL , I wish I got paid to drive by delivery locations next to the highway ! Trip so nice we make it twice. hopefully the driver goes 1 block out of their way on Monday

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200221-200656.png
    Screenshot_20200221-200656.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 368
Same! Still liking it a lot though. Whats your opinions on the kickstand? Im finding it just slightly too long where the bike will stand with it, but its basically straight up and any little touch or wind could blow it over. Im trying to figure out how to shorten it maybe a half inch or so...

Yeah, the kickstand is a balancing act and needs to be shorter. Maybe our tires are over inflated ... ;-)
So you're flying blind changing the P settings?

Last edited:
Sounds good ! Kickstand problems are not bad problems with us gambling on this product . E bike gambling .

Watching my $1050 bike bumping along our crap county roads only to go back to where it left in the morning . I feel like smoking a cigarette and going to Ely for the weekend 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200221-233612.jpg
    Screenshot_20200221-233612.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 364
I heard from Eahora and they are working on a translation of the X7 Manual. That likely means that the Manual will be for the X7 Standard and not the Plus. Since the controllers are the same for both shouldn't matter. I was told I might be sent something (at least the Controller Settings portion) by Monday. If need be I'll post what I get here.

I havent played with any deep setting yet, but I did chop part of the kickstand off (probably 1.5-2 inches) and now its perfect! I took it apart and cut off the skinnier inside part and extended where the screw that holds the pieces together goes in and put it back together and you would never know it was touched.

Nice to get a response on the manual and it should be coming soon!

Sorry to hear about your Fedex problems Steve, thats annoying but at least you know its close!? Lol.

I also was too impatient with waiting for the fenders, Its too rainy here near Seattle so I got some cheap ones off amazon. They should work well enough.

How are you guys liking the front shock? Its a little “clicky” and makes a decent sound when popping up ans down for me. Seems like frame is hollow and slightly slides up and down the main steering post. Anyone else notice that?

I did some light trail riding on Friday and I do hear some rattling when going over bumpy terrain. It sounded like it might be the battery making the noise. When I compress the shocks I hear nothing unusual.

Just got the x5 put together and not being a bike guy it was fairly easy. Package wasn't dinged and no damage ! My shock definitely makes a kerplunk noise. It was 21 degrees outside . x5 would be x7 standard spec wise it seems.

Just did 7 miles on packed snow roads, 2 inches of untracked snow on packed snow roads , ice , pavement and gravel. 21 degrees night riding 50% of throttle only and battery went down a bar at 7 miles. I was stoked ! Super fun night ride . No adjustments yet just deflating tire pressure a few lbs didn't check . I had to push the rack arms to get to fit .

I ordered green and got black ! Welcome to E Bike land ! You can't always get what you want !

So far so good !

Back