Wrecked my Z1 yesterday - Dusted off my trusty DIY Luna BBSHD FatBike. Rides like shite, but I still love her.

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
Got slammed onto the pavement yesterday while riding my Luna Z1, chewed up the derailleur and cracked my ribs. Had to be towed home. Decided to dust off my DIY Luna BBSHD Fat Bike today. I rode this bike every day for a year and a half and really loved riding it before I got my Z1 Enduro this past June. My DIY Fat Bike is a steel framed, 9 speed, cable pull brakes, cheap front fork, Suntour suspension seatpost, 1500 Watt, Luna BBSHD Mid Drive with cadence sensing.

At first she felt like a piece of crap, but as my memory muscle began to kick in, I learned how to ride her again. She really is a good bike. A powerful bike that will go anywhere, do anything, and take some serious punishment. Definitely unrefined compared to my Carbon Fiber Z1.

How did I ever ride without torque sensing, rear suspension, and 12 speeds? Such a difference.

IMG-4587.JPG

Sorry to hear about your spill. Speedy recovery and with the ribs don’t get the hiccups!! Nice looking spare!!

Sorry to hear about your spill. Speedy recovery and with the ribs don’t get the hiccups!! Nice looking spare!!
Yup, can't laugh, cough, sneeze, hiccup, get up from the couch, or lift anything. I'll be ridin very gently for the next 10 days or so.

Where in Loudoun County? I work there, but will be retiring at the end of the year.

Got slammed onto the pavement yesterday while riding my Luna Z1, chewed up the derailleur and cracked my ribs. Had to be towed home. Decided to dust off my DIY Luna BBSHD Fat Bike today. I rode this bike every day for a year and a half and really loved riding it before I got my Z1 Enduro this past June. My DIY Fat Bike is a steel framed, 9 speed, cable pull brakes, cheap front fork, Suntour suspension seatpost, 1500 Watt, Luna BBSHD Mid Drive with cadence sensing.

At first she felt like a piece of crap, but as my memory muscle began to kick in, I learned how to ride her again. She really is a good bike. A powerful bike that will go anywhere, do anything, and take some serious punishment. Definitely unrefined compared to my Carbon Fiber Z1.

How did I ever ride without torque sensing, rear suspension, and 12 speeds? Such a difference.

View attachment 137437
By my way of thinking, BBSHD is the VW aircooled of the ebike world. Sustainable, repairable, good parts stream, and a beast of burden. At least 1000 BBSHD pedicab users ought to tell us something about the BBSHD.

NOOOOO! Luna Z1 is such a sweet bike, i hope the bike and your ribs can be repaired as quickly as possible. Also its not like your slumming on a Walmart Hyper lol, things could be much worse my friend! That BBSHD bike looks like a beast, great motor and i love the dual battery set up!

Yup, can't laugh, cough, sneeze, hiccup, get up from the couch, or lift anything. I'll be ridin very gently for the next 10 days or so.
That REALLY sucks! I bruised a couple of ribs pretty badly in a tumble about 3 months ago. At first I couldn't even straighten out well enough to lay flat on the darn bed. Spent weeks sleeping in a big easy chair. Pills and gummies useless. Thank God for that chair! Anyway, just now getting back to normal, but still pretty sore in the mornings.

My point is, don't rush it!

Very glad to hear you're ok, but you must be part robot to go riding again after cracking ribs! I broke several ribs a few years ago in an auto accident and just wanted to be unconscious until they healed, the pain was nuts.

Take care of yourself, and let your body heal!

That REALLY sucks! I bruised a couple of ribs pretty badly in a tumble about 3 months ago. At first I couldn't even straighten out well enough to lay flat on the darn bed. Spent weeks sleeping in a big easy chair. Pills and gummies useless. Thank God for that chair! Anyway, just now getting back to normal, but still pretty sore in the mornings.

Didn't know you took a fall man, please be careful when you get back in the saddle!

By my way of thinking, BBSHD is the VW aircooled of the ebike world. Sustainable, repairable, good parts stream, and a beast of burden. At least 1000 BBSHD pedicab users ought to tell us something about the BBSHD.
it is an amazing workhorse and I still cannot believe how quiet it is. I never hear it working.

Oh I will take my time! I finally decided to order a chest and back protection vest since this is my second spill that has severely hurt my ribs. I currently ride with a full set of knee and elbow pads and they have saved me several times.

Didn't know you took a fall man, please be careful when you get back in the saddle!
Yup, this one was a doozy. Just the ride to the hospital with the wife driving was a test. Pain every time the car hit a bump. Straightening out to lie on the table for the CT scan, then crawling off it back into the wheel chair was the next test.... They finally told us nothing broken, clearing the way to get the hell out of there.

Thankfully, I was fine riding the bike! Daily rides continued. It was just the nights and mornings that were challenging. Nothing like a muscle spasm to get your attention! I didn't know what I was going to do early on, but finally noticed it was getting better, so we just rode it out - carefully. Baby steps.... -Al

You are a better man than I because after a recent get off hard slam rib injury the last thing I wanted to do for two weeks was ride my bike.

I just hope you didn't scratch your beautifully kept Z1!

Just the ride to the hospital with the wife driving was a test.
Our 70s’ put a whole new twist on injuries. My fall last year ended up with road rash and MERSA. 14 months later the banged up knee feels worse than a hang glider stall and slap in in my 30’s. Back at it days later. But those old injuries seem to explain troubles that have returned In the same areas injured. Would I do it again? Hell yes. But wish I’d have todays cautions back then.

You are a better man than I because after a recent get off hard slam rib injury the last thing I wanted to do for two weeks was ride my bike.

I just hope you didn't scratch your beautifully kept Z1!
Remarkably no scratches to the frame. My pedal, handlebars, elbow pad, and ribs took the blows. Frame is all good but the derailleur cage is shot.

• Sad
Reactions: JRA
Our 70s’ put a whole new twist on injuries. My fall last year ended up with road rash and MERSA. 14 months later the banged up knee feels worse than a hang glider stall and slap in in my 30’s. Back at it days later. But those old injuries seem to explain troubles that have returned In the same areas injured. Would I do it again? Hell yes. But wish I’d have todays cautions back then.
I hear you to Tom. I've been riding for two years with knee pads and elbow pads. This is the second time I've damaged my ribs on a bike within the last two years. I'm going full chest, rib, and back protection from now on.

I hear you to Tom. I've been riding for two years with knee pads and elbow pads. This is the second time I've damaged my ribs on a bike within the last two years. I'm going full chest, rib, and back protection from now on.
ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) was a buzz word in my MC days. Sadly, but happily a solution, are my tricycles, but still at minimum helmeted. Age related memory loss is much easier to stomach then concussion brain bending.

Always sad to hear a fellow Electric Bike Review rider get hurt riding their bike. Tom@WashDC, all the best to a quick and full recovery.
Thanks Mike! Today I've spent all day on the couch pretty much immobilized by my rib pain. I asked my wife or my daughter to help me stand up a few minutes ago. My wife looked at my adult daughter and said: "I've been telling him to stop doing all that dangerous stuff on his bike and he doesn't listen". Then they both went back to what they were doing without giving me a hand. Gonna be a long week.

"I don't get no respect" - Rodney Dangerfield

Back