Winter Sucks

crap no we have rain and its 26 out. everything is covered in ice. supposed to be 46 tomorrow so we will see. wot be able to leave the house till it thaws out as we live on a hill.

my squirrel food truck has new decorations.
I bet these pop machines all the pop has to be frozen solid since its been below 25 degrees since Saturday. since its s Walmart I doubt anyone thought to empty them.
IMG_3042.jpeg
IMG_3041.jpeg

Speaking of Canada and soda ...

I'm trying to figure out why the lemon lime is frozen solid but the orange isn't even slushy. They've been on our back porch through this cold spell.

1000007386.jpg

Federally protected here in the US — meaning that you can haze them as an adversely affected property owner, but you can't physically harm them.

With a permit, you can also oil the eggs of resident geese to prevent hatching. And you can destroy nests without a permit as long as no eggs are present.

Our Denver neighborhood included a small lake and surrounding greenbelt, both of which were negatively impacted by large numbers of resident Canada geese. Our HOA called in a professional goose hazer several times each winter. The guy was very busy, as Canada geese were a big and rapidly growing problem all over the Denver metro area.

For the record, they're "Canada geese", not "Canadian geese"."?
"eh"?

ifton forge Canada geese super primed on stuff like wild baby mustard gr,6eens. I will pick a bunch with a friend or two with a dog in a 40-acre field next week and give them to our favorite French Chef to make something special and maybe a Green Grocer. They will be so tender. It will have rained for 7 days straight by then. The vitamin K level is off the charts. Any fiber is good fiber. I accidently ate at an over priced greasy spoon yesterday, garbage, just carbs, fat, salt, and sugars. The patrons looked unwell. The country radio was off the signal slightly. It was $28 for a hydrogenated Rubin and limp greasy fries. Never again.
get excellent rubens inis am
we can get excellent rubins in clifton forge for$13 a lot of kraut,plenty of corned beef( yummy) my default sandwich 6f here this am, clear and still severals inches of confectionary sugar on the ground

So, after extending our return trip from Florida to avoid freezing rain in Tennessee, we got home last night to this. Sucked unpacking the van.

This morning found pissed off birds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240116_220153_The Weather Channel.jpg
    Screenshot_20240116_220153_The Weather Channel.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240117_073701.jpg
    20240117_073701.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240117_073417.jpg
    20240117_073417.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 19
That is not normal.
We stopped in Chattanooga (drove in snow storm to get there) so we didn't get iced in just north of Atlanta (turns out the ice line stopped before it got to my brother-in-law's house.) Woke up to ~1/4" ice on the van. Chattanooga stores do not have the same de-icing aids we have up north.

One huge advantage of not driving a car anymore, is not having to scrape the ice off the windshield. No windshield, no scraping. My last car took 20 minutes to warm up enough, due to the 110 F capable radiator I installed. Made a grocery run, 8 blocks R.T. Tuesday at 10 F. Ice was in patches on the shopping center parking lot, but I did not fall. Giant brand knobby tires.
Louisville news reviewed footage from the 1994 ice storm yesterday. 3/4" sleet then 18" snow. I took my step-daughter to her sisters apartment the night the sleet layer was pouring. "mom said you had to". Tuesday PM she called, out of food and the heat had stopped working. Cranked up the 62 Fairlane with shovel & kitty litter (clay) and a blanket in the back seat. Roads were "closed" in Kentucky. Fairlane has 50% weight on the back wheels, so climbed the Ohio bridge, then motorvated fine past dozens of froze up semis and a couple of froze up snow plows on the interstate. Drain your fuel filters, truckers! On Manslick Rd snow was not plowed, 14" deep, but kept moving and got there. After the step-daughters loaded up, I had to shovel a 30' long clear path to get the Fairlane moving again. Kitty litter the first 4'. Fine, but ran the red light getting on the freeway. Did not see a single police car. There is a reason police drove Crown Vics until Ford quit making them. All weather mobility. In 1982 I got stuck in Herington KS unable to get to work at Ft. Riley in my 80 chevette. I was able to shovel and get going when got stuck, but the drifts were so deep on US 77 snow was blowing over the hood and I could not see. US 77 snow plow had been pulled to plow the interstate. That day the 65 year old telephone operator for Division Hq got to work on same road in a '68 Country Squire station wagon.

Last edited:
well its raining but still just above 32. road is wet ice/snow so really slick but its already changed color but I doubt it would be practical to go to work today by the time I can get down the hill safely.

Louisville news reviewed footage from the 1994 ice storm yesterday. 3/4" sleet then 18" snow.
Ugh. I had to drive from St Louis to Raleigh in that storm.

Should have been about a 13 hour day. I ended up getting a room in Knoxville 15 hours later (they had the hwy closed over the Smoky Mtns). Took me another 14 hours the next day. I might have seen about 6 snowplows in 800 miles...

the lemon lime bottle burst while the orange didn't
@BlackHand, I got your answer from the U. of Illinois. In a vacuum less dense liquids such as alcohol can boil all day long at close to room temperature and they expand and contract easily with small temperature variations. That is how the 'Drinking Bird' works. It is ethanol in a partial vacuum. The higher the pressure in a vessel, the lower the freezing point. The lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point. It is why it takes longer to cook pasta camping on a mountain. The Orange is just at a higher pressure. Speaking of pressure, did you know that you can make your own sparkling wine, for say party mimosas, by putting 1L of generic box white in a 2L soda bottle with dry ice? Lower temps will also hold more gas dissolved in a fluid. So, when you crack a Canada Dry it starts to fizz with the pressure drop. Dry ice is just frozen Co2. Use tongs and winter gloves if you try making sparkling wine sometime.

@BlackHand, I got your answer from the U. of Illinois. In a vacuum less dense liquids such as alcohol can boil all day long at close to room temperature and they expand and contract easily with small temperature variations. That is how the 'Drinking Bird' works. It is ethanol in a partial vacuum. The higher the pressure in a vessel, the lower the freezing point. The lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point. It is why it takes longer to cook pasta camping on a mountain. The Orange is just at a higher pressure. Speaking of pressure, did you know that you can make your own sparkling wine, for say party mimosas, by putting 1L of generic box white in a 2L soda bottle with dry ice? Lower temps will also hold more gas dissolved in a fluid. So, when you crack a Canada Dry it starts to fizz with the pressure drop. Dry ice is just frozen Co2. Use tongs and winter gloves if you try making sparkling wine sometime.

Back