Winter Sucks

It is not just the rain, it is the wind. I am getting 50 mph gusts. Inland its 80 mph gusts. So. Cal. will get pounded tomorrow through Wednesday. I tried to look at the CHP road closures map and ended up at the Christian Heritage Party.
1707079534090.png

Last edited:
Last week's unseasonably warm weather cleared out about ninety percent of the snowpack here. I'd say conditions are about par for the third or last week of March right now. There is still "skiing" but it is very poor skiing. Time to work on the bikes...

we are dry right now it was 21 this morning ,66 this afternoon its done dropped to 40 in a couple of hours i guess it will probably hit the teens tonight,this air is so clear and dry just so the white stuff stays away have to finish the trike, hope the fruit trees make it this year.

21 this morning ,66 this afternoon
It is that freeze/thaw that gets me. You get all of that slick frozen black ice mud that becomes slick mud that coats everything. My good friend learned today that he got a slot in the 200 mile Unbound gravel/mud race for 2024. That chain is not touching the cog, it's ridding on a layer of muck.
1707265929345.jpeg
1707265944991.jpeg
1707265978793.jpeg

1707266274846.jpeg
1707266294786.jpeg
1707266346117.jpeg

Last edited:
It is that freeze/thaw that gets me. You get all of that slick frozen black ice mud that becomes slick mud that coats everything. My good friend learned today that he got a slot in the 200 mile Unbound gravel/mud race for 2024. That chain is not touching the cog, it's ridding on a layer of muck.
View attachment 170881View attachment 170882View attachment 170883
View attachment 170884View attachment 170885 View attachment 170886
its a labor of love apparently.

Unfortunately we've had unseasonably warm weather the last couple of weeks (just short of 70 yesterday rather than 30s). Daffodils guessed it was time to come up (1.5 months early). I hope they don't mind the low 20s at night coming up.

Flower bulbs are up, buds swelling on the forsythia and we’ve been flirting with 10c. The few rides I’ve taken are miserable due to my face being pummelled by road grit. A new fender is on the way from Poland.
But it’s very lovely this morning.
The view of our ski hill, Red Mountain out my bedroom window this morning.
IMG_1751.jpeg

Just finished the last of our string of Pacific storms. TV weather forecasters — professional fearmongers one and all — called every storm an "atmospheric river". And some were certainly impactful elsewhere in California. But here in coastal north San Diego County, they were all more like atmospheric creeks.

Don't mind riding in light rain, and we certainly got plenty of that over the last 10 days. But bike was down the whole time, anyway.

Now the bike's fixed, we have over a week of normal sunny and cool winter weather ahead, and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's coast ride.

May all our high-latitude members get riding days, too.

Anyone on the E. Coast today? An aunt in N.J. just sent photos of the snow falling.

Here in the far north east we missed out on the storm entirely. It's all passing south of us and out to sea. Nova Scotia however is going to/getting snow from it. This is what winter has been like so far (limited snow and higher temps). It's the other areas in the Martimes (like poor Nova Scotia) who've been pummeled with heavy snow.

Around here it's bare pavement (roads and well travelled trails) and slushy on the less well travelled paths/trails. I wish it had been a bit colder (below freezing) as that prevents the slush from building up. When you've got studded tires it's much nicer riding on smooth frozen surfaces.

Last edited:
Yeah, and from the weather forecast last night the storm is now tracking into the south eastern tip of Newfoundland (Avalon peninsula and the city of St. John's) with 20"/50+cm of snow.

There have been way too many 50cm dumps of snow in my region this winter. I'm going to have to look for more items to perform a sacrifice with to keep the weather gods happy ... cuz here in NB so far so good. 🙏

way too many 50cm dumps of snow
But people in Minnesota, where @tomjasz is from, had almost no snow this year.

Oh, I came down with some sort of flu yesterday. Suddenly my nose started dripping like a leaky faucet and I got hit with a fever, cough, and gastro intestinal issues. I have been trying to be carful, masking in public but last night I had to dress in layers for bed, including a wool sweater and hat. Just like that James Brown song 'Cold Sweat.'

Last edited:
It's been an incredible winter for eBikes and eTrans builds. I've only missed the days I was in poor health. The first ride in 6" of snow and blizzard was a real adventure.

Agreed, been a nice winter for riding. I looked at cars briefly and had some sticker shock on the monthly payments. WOW! Last car I bought was in 2015 or so, prices have sure gone up! Makes me more excited to ride my e-bike tomorrow which cost a total of $1.5K or so 2 years ago and is still going strong. Makes me not feel bad about wanting to spend 3-4K on a nice mid-drive e-bike when a new car is running $30K plus. Crazy!

Because of electric bikes I have been car free for five-years & three-weeks. Now I don't like being in a cage. I can cross town on paths that have no stoplights, I don't have to find parking and walk from parking, and I arrive much faster than a car that is stuck in traffic. People are dropping seventy grand on cars and the new ones are made from foil like a disposable turkey baster pan, so if you look at them hard they will dent. Two or three years ago a car was about to do a right hook into me at a cross walk when the light changed. She was looking left while driving right and I instinctively swatted it with the heal of my hand. She could have killed me. It hit a crease at the top edge of the right fender doing $1,200 in body damage.

Because of electric bikes I have been car free for five-years & three-weeks. Now I don't like being in a cage. I can cross town on paths that have no stoplights, I don't have to find parking and walk from parking, and I arrive much faster than a car that is stuck in traffic. People are dropping seventy grand on cars and the new ones are made from foil like a disposable turkey baster pan, so if you look at them hard they will dent. Two or three years ago a car was about to do a right hook into me at a cross walk when the light changed. She was looking left while driving right and I instinctively swatted it with the heal of my hand. She could have killed me. It hit a crease at the top edge of the right fender doing $1,200 in body damage.
That's really cool! I'm sure you save a ton of $ and get to experience a lot of fun things not being trapped in a car. I've always found I'm engaging with my community more on the bike especially in the nicer weather. I would say going totally car-free is probably a 5 year goal of mine.

Back