Winter Is Coming - Biking in Cold Weather

I like being outdoors regardless of the season. Yes.
Me too…up to a certain point with respect to windchill and snow depth. We received another 10cm yesterday and expect more to fall tomorrow. Unfortunately, I’ve been getting more of a workout shoveling the damn stuff.

IMG_20221103_1413186.jpg

IMG_20221103_1425497.jpg

I love riding in the winter - my local trails are quiet and as long as it's packed down and not too cold, it's a great way to deal with our seasons here.
To be honest, I'd rather be downhill skiing, but certain leg injuries have made that an impossible dream.

But you need to be prepared for the weather that we get here - studded tires and correct clothing.

Where I live every ride involves some steep hills, paved or gravel. The paved ones get sand covered early in the season, after the first bit of snow or ice, and stay that way until spring. Riding on sand over asphalt going down a steep hill is NOT my cup of tea - too likely to skid (did I mention these are 20 percent slopes?). The steep dirt road hills can be better IF there's no ice patches, which is rare.

So winter riding is out unless I drive a few hours to flatter locations. Instead, I just use a trainer. I have a nice screen in front of it, and used a gopro to record my favorite fall ride...

Where I live every ride involves some steep hills, paved or gravel. The paved ones get sand covered early in the season, after the first bit of snow or ice, and stay that way until spring. Riding on sand over asphalt going down a steep hill is NOT my cup of tea - too likely to skid (did I mention these are 20 percent slopes?). The steep dirt road hills can be better IF there's no ice patches, which is rare.

So winter riding is out unless I drive a few hours to flatter locations. Instead, I just use a trainer. I have a nice screen in front of it, and used a gopro to record my favorite fall ride...
ya that sucks too risky. we have roads that may have leaves on for months.

ya that sucks too risky. we have roads that may have leaves on for months.
Our leaves get shoved aside with the first snow plowing, but the plowing is never perfect - lots of ice patches (from compressed snow) get left behind, so it's sand or ice...
I rather envy the folks in flatter places like Minneapolis and Chicago, at least for winter riding. OTOH, outside winter, the terrain here is great. Light traffic off the main roads, pretty countryside, good lunch stops. What's not to like?

Our leaves get shoved aside with the first snow plowing, but the plowing is never perfect - lots of ice patches (from compressed snow) get left behind, so it's sand or ice...
I rather envy the folks in flatter places like Minneapolis and Chicago, at least for winter riding. OTOH, outside winter, the terrain here is great. Light traffic off the main roads, pretty countryside, good lunch stops. What's not to like?
We seldom have snow. Just very wet leaves

I love riding in the winter - my local trails are quiet and as long as it's packed down and not too cold, it's a great way to deal with our seasons here.

But you need to be prepared for the weather that we get here - studded tires and correct clothing.
So true. When the conditions are right and with the right choice of tires, winter riding can be down right enjoyable.

Instead, I just use a trainer. I have a nice screen in front of it, and used a gopro to record my favorite fall ride...
That's probably what I'll be doing tomorrow. After two days of continuous snowfall the skies finally cleared and it was nice to see the sun come out today but that usually means colder weather is on the way. Now the temps feel more typical of what we see in Jan/Feb. We might be approaching record territory overnight and in the morning as far as wind chill values go which likely translates into another day off the bike. :(

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 15-53-41 Alerts Red Deer Alberta City of Red Deer - The Weather Network.jpg

That's probably what I'll be doing tomorrow. After two days of continuous snowfall the skies finally cleared and it was nice to see the sun come out today but that usually means colder weather is on the way. Now the temps feel more typical of what we see in Jan/Feb. We might be approaching record territory overnight and in the morning as far as wind chill values go which likely translates into another day off the bike. :(

View attachment 139745
We're only minus -20C right now, but forecast is back up to +6C for Sunday.
It's bloody November for crying out loud!

Grrr (or is that Brrr)

Crazy warm here. Still daytime mid 60’s. 18C. Odd weather.
Odd weather is right. It’s expected to shoot up to 0C (32F) on Saturday which is hard to believe as it’s currently -24C (-11F) now. The average temperature here in November for a typical day ranges from a high of 33°F (1°C) and a low of 19°F (-7°C).

Riding in the winter has not been a problem at my winter home in AZ!
But it sucks back home in WI.
I get where you’re coming from. I don’t know what winters are like in WI and yes, we do experience some extremes here in terms of cold and snowfall but just not so early in the season. It’s not all doom and gloom though and it’s rides such as this on a local trail that pretty well sums things up. Pristine snow conditions and full sun are usually typical of our winter season here.

GH010024_Moment.jpg

It’s also a hoot to see the reaction of others when I take to the ice on a local skating pond.

GH010022_Moment.jpg

…and the occasional outing to the mountains translates into a nice change of scenery.

Tunnel Mtn Trail.jpg

I rode this morning for about 10 miles. The Twin Cities Minnesota area took a temperature drop yesterday. It was probably 30 degrees when I rode. I did pretty well, but I realize that I may want to consider some warmer socks for riding when it is cooler. What I wore today is a wool blend and just one pair. What is warmer? I have seen Alpaca socks, but never owned any. I also don't have any electric heated socks, but I might consider them.

What do people here use and like?

I rode this morning for about 10 miles. The Twin Cities Minnesota area took a temperature drop yesterday. It was probably 30 degrees when I rode. I did pretty well, but I realize that I may want to consider some warmer socks for riding when it is cooler. What I wore today is a wool blend and just one pair. What is warmer? I have seen Alpaca socks, but never owned any. I also don't have any electric heated socks, but I might consider them.

What do people here use and like?
feet are the hard part when it gets really cold. electric socks work well I can't get any that fit my size 13 feet well. used these as they share the same battery as my gloves.

Back