Winter Is Coming - Biking in Cold Weather

BRING IT ON OLDMAN WINTER...

LEGACY-SAW-BLADE-BIKE-40.jpg

If my bike stays up, I plan to use it throughout the winter. When I discovered motorcycles in my early 40s, I couldn't accepted not riding the whole winter, so, I rode at least once a week in the winter, and I just chose the most mild day. [relatively speaking, of course, living in the northeast.]

Now, crossing the 6-0 mark, and discovering ebikes this year, I won't be able to park it all winter. :)

My bike's tires are waiting - 20x4's. :) With the right layers, it's easier than some may think. Eye wear will be essential. My biggest worry will be if my bike is going to take kindly to the harsh temps.
What are the temps in the Milky Way Galaxy?

REI has a few of these let on clearence plus a 20.00 gift card. I jsut got mine and it will work well with my winter clothing. I wanted something not so bulky as my showerspass jacket and that will breath better. Plus the showerspass will get wet after a couple of rides somewhat. \

I am looking for some wind resistant/water resistant pants for late fall biking in Minnesota. What are some that people here use and like.

I am looking for some wind resistant/water resistant pants for late fall biking in Minnesota. What are some that people here use and like.
Gusset crotch rain bibs. Versions branded for skiing can be a good choice if not insulated. For me gussets are essential.

Do you guys and gals actually like riding in the winter ?
I rode yesterday. Or course, it isn't winter, yet. It is just autumn. The air temperature was about 36 degrees Fahrenheit, so not terrible at all. There is no snow cover and the winds were relatively calm. Yes, it was nice to get out for about an hour ride.

Once there is snow cover, I really doubt that I will ride much, but we will see. I live on a gravel road, but there is pavement about half a mile from me. There are often times in the later fall and winter in which the gravel has compacted snow and ice, but the pavement is just wet. I may give that a try a few times to see how things go.

I rode yesterday. Or course, it isn't winter, yet. It is just autumn. The air temperature was about 36 degrees Fahrenheit, so not terrible at all. There is no snow cover and the winds were relatively calm. Yes, it was nice to get out for about an hour ride.

Once there is snow cover, I really doubt that I will ride much, but we will see. I live on a gravel road, but there is pavement about half a mile from me. There are often times in the later fall and winter in which the gravel has compacted snow and ice, but the pavement is just wet. I may give that a try a few times to see how things go.
I can do around that temp but that’s about it.

I don't mind it as long as there is no snow or ice on the ground. I know how to dress to keep warm. getting going is the hard part but once going not a problem. its better then riding in the rain like I do a lot.

Back