Winter Is Coming - Biking in Cold Weather

These a true winter cycling boots...no comprimizes.
I cannot see the page Richard (it is limited to the U.S.) but if you mean leather mountain hiking boots then I will tell you I own a similar pair; unfortunately, it soaks during the rain or while riding through puddles. I got my left feet almost frozen out on several recent rides. Moreover, soaked boots mean soaked socks, making electrically heated socks ineffective.

1674658630092.png

The ones I wear.

I'm giving wellingtons a try! :)

These have s waterproofing agent that is applied periodically and are specifically designed for winter cycling.

Toe stud fittings on those Lake shoes are overkill for what type of terrain most here will be riding on unless you find yourself clamoring up steep muddy inclines.

1674666482851.png
1674666434914.png

It’s great to have cycling specific footwear but there are a ton of non specific winter boots out there that will meet most needs. The Wellies will keep your feet dry but I’m not sure how comfortable they will be after a long day on gravel or in rain-soaked mud. I just don’t’ feel that they would provide the support needed for longer rides.

I don’t ride much in the wet so my winter footwear requirements might be altogether different than anyone else’s. Protecting my dogs from bitter cold is my main issue here. That being said, for my next set of winter boots a BOA lacing system would be a nice feature. I still would likely go with some form of separate Goretex gaiters as they do provide a great deal of protection from slush and mud during the shoulder seasons.

Then again if you have deep pockets, consider these Northface boots.

1674666622454.png
1674666691763.png

From yesterday. The solution has been discovered.:p

Attachments

• 012423b.JPG
    012423b.JPG
    555.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 012423c.JPG
    012423c.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 012423d.JPG
    012423d.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 107
  • 012423e.JPG
    012423e.JPG
    585.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 012423f.JPG
    012423f.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 012423g.JPG
    012423g.JPG
    555.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 012423h.JPG
    012423h.JPG
    438.1 KB · Views: 114
Completely waterproof rubber boots have no breathability. After decades of working outdoors and yes even in the bitterest northern winters I learned there is no better way to have frozen toes than non-breathable boots and static feet. Even walking once there's moisture build-up and a lack of wicking you can expect COLD COLD feet.

One notable exception.
1674671184948.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 12.18.29 PM.png

Attachments

• 1674671093345.png
    1674671093345.png
    247.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
The ones I wear.
A smarter choice. Add a silk inner sock under merino wool mid to heavy-weight expedition sock. My winter shoes are sized for these sock layers. I wore this sort of setup doing helicopter snow surveys working for a USGS contractor in Montana. I'm a HUGE fan of silk and merino wool layers. I would have frozen to death in synthetics. However, I ALWAYS had packable goose-down layers for emergency wear. Although I suspect few of us will ever need that level and won't be as adventurous on eBikes. @Prairie Dog seems the most adventurous winter rider here with the best insight IMO.

ya ouch on the price. never saw such a sole on a cycling shoe.
Ouch on the design but not the price. Having worked on my feet for most of my work and playing, well-made shoes and boots are a must for me. Even when I suffered from a serious lack of cash I learned that the right footwear, regardless of cost, was something I needed to have. My first pair of White Smokejumpers was $325. Rebuilt 3 times and is still in use after 36 years. Now $675. They outlasted many times that cost in techy stylish MTN boots.

As soon as a boot adds gizmos and plastic attachments I'm done with even the slightest consideration.

Most of the current crop of cycling specific shoes/boots would likely not be warm enough to hold up to a cold Alberta winter so I usually look to the winter boot aisle. One exception might be the 45North Wolvhammer Boa.

The Merrell mid waterproof Overlook boots that I currently wear are not only comfy but are warm when teamed with a pair of Wigwam wool socks as well my feet never sweat and stay dry. They weren’t overly expensive and get the job done. The lower part of the boot is a fully waterproof, tough ballistic protective shell and the leather uppers get a treatment of Nikwax every season. For me, investing in a quality pair of lightweight leg gaiters makes sense as they add serious protection in all but the most extreme conditions. Water ingress at the boot cuff is something I’m not overly concerned with as much as deep snow and my gaiters have proven themselves to be a valuable accessory time and time again.

Both Sealskinz and Showers Pass also carry waterproof/breathable socks that may help keep feet dry in wet weather if your shoes or boots become compromised.

Look to your riding group to see what they are wearing and ask how their footwear is working out for them. Getting real world input or suggestions from others who ride under the same conditions could bode positive results and potentially get you off on the right foot. Pardon the pun. ;)

Looks like no riding in the coming days. OUCH! Just too cold! This is where it gets dangerous, except for very short errands.

F
View attachment 145575
C
View attachment 145576
Looks like were heading in the same direction come the weekend. It’s been so mild here during the past few weeks which in itself presents a new problem. The trails have become too soft to ride on so in a way I’m okay with the colder temps. It’s currently +4C (39F).

Look to your riding group to see what they are wearing and ask how their footwear is working out for them. Getting real world input or suggestions from others who ride under the same conditions could bode positive results and potentially get you off on the right foot. Pardon the pun. ;)
One of the riders who participated in the last tough winter ride recommended some winter cycling shoes from NorthWave. He, however, cannot image anything else than clipless. (And he only finished the half of the ride).

"Under the same conditions" does not mean all people have the same feet. Most of riders have proper blood circulation. I don't. Hence electrically heated insoles and socks. What I need is something totally water- and windproof. Today's ride was just 26 km at -2 C and my left foot started to freeze out again... In those leather boots and thick socks.

What do they wear in Minnesota to keep your feet warm. Heavy felt lined boots. Anti-perspirant on your feet to keep them from sweating 'dry'.

One of the riders who participated in the last tough winter ride recommended some winter cycling shoes from NorthWave. He, however, cannot image anything else than clipless. (And he only finished the half of the ride).

"Under the same conditions" does not mean all people have the same feet. Most of riders have proper blood circulation. I don't. Hence electrically heated insoles and socks. What I need is something totally water- and windproof. Today's ride was just 26 km at -2 C and my left foot started to freeze out again... In those leather boots and thick socks.
Northwave carries a broad line of winter shoes and most looked to be performance oriented with a few models offering some level of insulation. Typically, not what I would consider winter footwear but perhaps the winters over there aren’t as severe. What does your Bro wear? Obviously, cycling during the winter with a foot condition can’t be fun. Perhaps the Wellies might be the ticket to keep your feet dry but I would be inclined to keep rides shorter or at least until the boots prove their worth.

I mentioned the 45North Wolvhammers before and they might be the only cycling boot that I would consider wearing on this side of the pond. They are pricey but are fully waterproof, have a removable liner and are rated to -18C. They are also flat pedal compatible. Both boots appear to sport roomy toe boxes which might bode well for circulation. Here’s a head to head comparison of it vs the Lake MXZ 304.

What does your Bro wear?
My brother wears regular cleated cycling shoes with electrically heated insoles (from Aliexpress) and wraps his feet in a very old version of Scott Shoecovers. He has no condition in his feet though. And we of course do not ride at the Canadian winter temperatures :)

Perhaps the Wellies might be the ticket to keep your feet dry but I would be inclined to keep rides shorter or at least until the boots prove their worth.
Of course. I will try them on a 40 km road ride this Saturday.

If my solution fails, I'll try something more advanced!

Last edited:
I think that it depends on who you talk to. I know a few avid cyclists here who only ride during the summer and shoulder seasons but refuse to ride in winter conditions. On the flip side, most who do are usually well prepared, are dressed for the weather and enjoy what winter brings and the fact that frequent and full sunny days here make it all worthwhile. That being said, it’s a fact that bike infrastructure and snow removal are key for people to get out more often once the snow starts to fly. Personally, I prefer riding in the snow and cold over grey skies and rain any day of the week.

I'm so glad I searched winter cycling and got to see that great, fun video. Thanks.

One of the benefits around here, is although we get the cold, we rarely get the wet.
Art @Prairie Dog, just 150 Kms to the north, gets more moisture than we typically do here and also tends to be a few degrees colder.

I personally choose to not ride when it's much colder than -10C but I've gone as low as -15C and ridden 40'ish Kms at that temp too.

On my feet I wear a pair of Grisport Saracen Walking Boots, but I do wear high quality merino socks, and my leg coverings are tight to the tops of the boots.
They seem to work fine for me and historically did suffer from cold feet when teaching skiing back in the 70s.

Would I ride in Wellies - I don't think so.

Back