Will 700x47c Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready tyres fit on a Turbo Vado SL 5?

RRCV

Region
Australia
Question for the enlightened ones.

Will 700x47c Pathfinder Pro or Tracer Pro 2Bliss Ready tyres fit on a Turbo Vado SL 5?

Thank you in advance.

Don't try it please. I have found the size 42-622 (700x42c) the maximum practical tyre size for a Vado SL. The 47 mm tyre might fit but then there would be hardly any clearance between the tyre and the frame (if any!) Any dirt, pebble, mud or debris would fill the remaining clearance and eventually the wheel would get blocked. Also, expect damage on the paint of the seat-stays.

It is a way better idea to convert the wheels to tubeless, use any Specialized 2Bliss 700x42c tyre and ride it under low pressure (I went down to 2.6 bar minimum safely at my body weight of 100+ kg). I rode Tracers Pro in such a configuration on a gravel race, washboard gravel, rough cobblestone and sand successfully.

Of course I assume your Vado SL is unequipped (no mudguards). The stock mudguards will accommodate 38 mm tyres only, while 700x42c tyres were too big for the SKS Speedrocker fender.

1728284927837.png

In my experience, only 42s leave the adequate clearance for the Vado SL frame.

Last edited:
Thank you Stefan.

Appreciate the detail..

I have not purchased. Undecided, Creo or Vado SL.
In Australia I haven't found the Vado SL for sale in the non EQ version. If I do purchase, I will probably remove the mud guards.

Regards
Robert

Of course I assume your Vado SL is unequipped (no mudguards). The stock mudguards will accommodate 38 mm tyres only, while 700x42c tyres were too big for the SKS Speedrocker fender.

Both my wife and I have 700x42 Pathfinder Sports on Vado 4.0 SL EQs. The fit is tight, but the only time it was an issue was after riding through thick mud. We find that the wider tread is advantageous on lose surfaces.

Partly off topic Q. I need a tubeless tire to replace Schwalbe G-one (raceguard performance) for the rear wheel. I see the Pathfinder Pro is a 120tpi tire, how is it for puncture resistance? A local shop has the sport version in stock, I assume not tubeless and maybe not as good a tire given lower price? I'll call them when they open this morning. Otherwise I'll probably just go with another G-one which has been an OK tire for me, but nothing to write home about.

Both my wife and I have 700x42 Pathfinder Sports on Vado 4.0 SL EQs. The fit is tight, but the only time it was an issue was after riding through thick mud. We find that the wider tread is advantageous on lose surfaces.
That's why I went with more aggressive Tracers Pro :)

I see the Pathfinder Pro is a 120tpi tire, how is it for puncture resistance? A local shop has the sport version in stock, I assume not tubeless and maybe not as good a tire given lower price?
Pathfinder Pro is a classic gravel tyre, and it is very much puncture resistant. I use PP 47 mm (tubed) on my Vado 6.0, no punctures whatsoever.
The three features advertised by Specialized for 2Bliss tyres are:
  • Gripton compound: a fast rolling tyre with an excellent grip (I attest for that)
  • ENDURANT Resilient Core: the feature for puncture resistance
  • Tubeless ready
Another feature of 2Bliss tyres is they great suppleness. I rode Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38 and 47 mm and Tracer Pro 2Bliss 42 mm as well as Electrak Armadillo 2.0 with Gripton. All have been excellent! (I actually stopped using Schwalbe tyres as I perceive Specialized as an even better bike tyre brand; I keep Schwalbe studded tyres for the winter, though).

Thanks for giving your insight. Unfortunately the bike shop is closed today and their web site shows only the Pathfinder Sport which won't work for me. I'm liking the tread pattern for the Pathfinder Pro. I'll check Amazon.

Since I couldn't find the Pathfinder Pro locally or on Amazon I ordered a Ebay Trigger Pro. I would have preferred 42c but only available size 38x700. Looks to have
smaller knobs on the center strip. 60tpi and a belt which might offer better puncture resistance.

Since I couldn't find the Pathfinder Pro locally or on Amazon I ordered a Ebay Trigger Pro. I would have preferred 42c but only available size 38x700. Looks to have
smaller knobs on the center strip. 60tpi and a belt which might offer better puncture resistance.
Didn't you try on Specialized.com?

Didn't you try on Specialized.com?

I did but they have a $15 shipping charge making it a $76 tire including tax while the Trigger Pro has great reviews, specs that would indicate better puncture resistance and a tread pattern that looks good to me, for $30 less - normally same price as the Pathfinder Pro but currently at reduced price.

G-one is a whole series. Depending on what you didn't like about the one you have, you can move up/down the line to change the road/offroad balance.
It's not that I don't like the G-one, just that it doesn't stand out as a must have and I've had a lot of flats with them. I looked at the other G-one variants but decided to go with the Trigger Pro to try something different and hoping for better flat protection. My 700 x 40mm G-one measures 38mm so probably not much width difference vs the Trigger, I'll find out when it's delivered later this week.

I did but they have a $15 shipping charge making it a $76 tire including tax while the Trigger Pro has great reviews, specs that would indicate better puncture resistance and a tread pattern that looks good to me, for $30 less - normally same price as the Pathfinder Pro but currently at reduced price.
Funny to think both PP and Trigger cost the same US$61 per tyre (equivalent) in Poland :) I didn't consider the Trigger, as my way of thinking was Pathfinder Pro -> Tracer Pro -> Rhombus Pro (increasing aggressiveness) but again, I was looking for a 42 mm tyre while Trigger Pro is an XC tyre at 38 mm. Yes, Trigger Pro has the ENDURANT casing and Black Belt against punctures. Probably a good choice for you!

For gravel roads, bush tracks, rail trails and a small amount of concrete and bitumen, maybe the Tracer Pro would be the better option over the Pathfinder for on the Vado SL?

For gravel roads, bush tracks, rail trails and a small amount of concrete and bitumen, maybe the Tracer Pro would be the better option over the Pathfinder for on the Vado SL?
First of all, please consider whether you want to remove the equipment from Vado SL 5.0 EQ. Because you are limited to 38 mm tyres otherwise. @EMGX has drawn my attention to the Trigger Pro 2Bliss tyres (38 mm), which look interesting, and would certainly work well tubeless under reduced inflation pressure. The Black Belt puncture protection is certainly a good thing in the bush. The point is, I didn't try the Triggers myself, so we'll need to listen to EMGX when he has installed the Triggers and rode them for awhile.

The tyre size is not everything. Vado SL 5.0 has the Future Shock suspension stem, which reportedly does miracles to the ride comfort. @Jeremy McCreary rides his 5.0 SL tubeless on Pathfinders Pro 38 mm, and he could certainly chime in.

A picture of the type of gravel roads I will be riding on.
View attachment 183696
We consider it "premium gravel" in Poland :) OK, joking. Your picture looks like Gravel Class 2, which is not dramatic at all!

1728375149260.png

Poland is a sandy country. Even a decent gravel road gets sandy during drought!

1728375319992.png

We often have to ride in such terrain.

Last edited:
Back