Why isn't there a "Type" for Road Bikes?

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2018-01-24-00-07-53.png
    SmartSelectImage_2018-01-24-00-07-53.png
    743.2 KB · Views: 1,212
Last edited:
That Cube e-road bike looks very similar to the Focus Y.

I like it, but I imagine with a carbon frame, carbon wheels, and electronic shifting it will be pricey.

I think the Cube looks good as well, but agree it will be pretty expensive with either a dura ace or a ultergra set of components. At 13.8 kg, that is one really light ebike. I have done a fair amount of off-road bikepacking and on-road touring. In my experience, most bikepackers generally plan on 40 to 50 mile days and most on-road tours plan on 50 to 60 mile days. Obviously, some do more miles and some do less. So many available ebikes with 500wh or better batteries have that range capacity using a less than maximum assist level.

I think an ebike with a 500wh or better battery would be fine for credit card touring and camping in established campgrounds. For a bikepacking trip in a remote location with limited charging opportunities, you would probably want a second battery. More weight to carry, but the piece of mind would be worth it. To me, the ideal touring ebike would be based on a gravel bike frame with room for 40 mm tubeless tires, a carbon fork and relaxed geometry. Interesting, most of the big bike touring companies, like VBT, are now offering ebikes on many of their tours and Adventure Cycling Association is listing some of their tours as "ebike friendly". Many self-guided touring companies in Europe also offering ebikes as part of their rental fleet.

I think that ebike touring is likely to really take off in the next few years as prices for quality ebikes come down and the battery range continues to increase.

So far I've come across five light e-road bikes (drop bars) that will available in North America:

Focus Y
Orbea Gain D10
Cube Agree Hybrid C:62 SL & SLT
Pinarello Nytro
Bianchi E-Road Impluso

and three more heaver e-road bikes (40+ pounds):

Easy Motion Gravel X
Luna KHS GRIT 220
Giant Road E+Pro

Any others?

Back