Why I won't buy another Rad Power bike (aka support your local bike shop)

AcesSting

I recently bought a RadCity, and you know what? I love it. It's my first electric bike, and I don't have a ton to compare it to, but I'm very happy with it.

When it works.

Unfortunately, it has problems, and some of those problems are compounded by the fact that Rad Power bikes are mail order. If I were going to buy again, I would buy from a local bike shop. Here's why...

For starters, Rad Power bikes have a lot of quality control issues. Their bikes get banged up pretty badly in shipping. On the one hand, it's not really Rad's fault that this happens. On the other hand, they choose the shipping company and they're responsible for it. It's their business model.

Mine wasn't as bad as some of the ones you see on the FB group, the only thing that arrived broken for me was the display and Rad promptly sent me a new one which I installed myself. Other folks in the FB group have complained about scratches and whatnot on delivery and received no replacement or compensation (if memory serves me correctly, they were offered 50% off an accessory). That's the type of problem that would only happen mail order and one more reason I recommend buying from your local bike shop.

I am having continuing issues with my battery that remain unresolved. It stays at "5 bars" of power then rapidly goes down to 1 bar fluctuating randomly a fair bit, and I only get about 30km to a charge. This issue is still outstanding with Rad -- we've tried several things to fix it, a new display (I actually just installed the broken one instead of asking them to ship yet another one to me), a new controller (which is no small installation task, so I paid my local bike shop to do the work), and no luck. If they were bricks and mortar, I'd be able to drop off the bike for a few days, they could ride it and see the problem in action, then fix it. But Rad is mail order, so they can't. Instead there's a lot of back and forth with videos and photos and long descriptions and misunderstandings.

And that brings me to the next part of why it's bad to buy a Rad bike mail order: you're the mechanic. I had to install/uninstall all of this stuff myself. I'm handy to a point, but I'm not a bike mechanic. If they were bricks and mortar, they'd be the ones doing the work. Instead they expect you to do a lot.

My chain split in half. To Rad's credit, even though chains aren't covered by warranty, they paid the $30 to fix it at a local bike shop. Even still it was a pain in the butt getting quotes and negotiating the process.

I also got an "Error 30", which I found out means that there's a bad connection somewhere. I had to connect and disconnect wires (no big deal), except that some of those wires are inside the bike. I had to remove the flange to get to them, and I can't get it back into place. Again, you guessed it, if they were B&M they'd be fixing this themselves instead of it being my headache.

I'm also now getting a creaking sound out of my back tire. The folks on the FB group seem to think it's a loose spoke. I reached out to Rad with a video of the problem, and they said the same thing. When I took it to my local bike shop to get it fixed (at my own cost, because they didn't offer to cover that and I don't trust myself tightening spokes) they said that the spokes were fine. I left it at the bike shop, they're going to diagnose it and fix it. This, of course, will be at my cost, which it wouldn't be if Rad Power had a physical presence in my city.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that e-bikes are still a relatively new technology and I have a lot of patience for new tech. I know that it's going to encounter issues like these and I'm good with that. But learn from my mistakes and buy from a bricks and mortar shop. The support is worth the extra few hundred dollars you'll end up paying.

I could go on but nobody reads a comment this long. :)

I have three Rad Power Bike (two 2016 Radrovers +3500 miles each, one 2018 RadCity Step-Thru 300 miles). I've had my share of issues also; which, 50% was caused by shipping. About 80%-85% of my other issues were covered by the 1 year warranty. It wasn't a big deal for me have one ebike down because I had the second one to ride and help with troubleshooting. I never missed a riding day having two ebikes available (wife probably only put 350 miles out of the +7000 on the Radrovers).

Back then, you were able to get two Rovers or Volt fat tire ebikes for the price of one fat tire mid-drive. I started out with LBS; but, soon learned how to do basic bike cleaning, upgrades, and maintenance to keep me on the road for +2 1/2 years. Fixing flats, adjusting the derailleur, upgraded to Sypke brakes, adding new MTB pedals, or adjusting spokes just gets me out in the garage and away from the couch.

My two Radrovers have paid for themselves and I'm in bonus time every mile I put on them this day forward.

Mine came in excellent shape. Rode a few miles and found I had a battery charging problem. I called Rad, they picked up on the first ring. Had me check a few things and send a video how my battery was acting. Called with my findings, picked up on first ring, and the sent me a new battery and I had it in about 3 days. Fixed my problem. Now what would a dealer do that they didn't do?
Referred my friend and my dad to buy Rads. They got them both in great condition in 4 days. Have rode hundreds of miles between us 3 with no problems. My friend that bought one works with a guy that has bought 2 Ebikes over the years has a high dollar bike he bought from a dealer. His is in the dealers, as I speak, for over a month needing a new motor. He is totally pissed.
When I got mine I called the local dealer for some liners for my fat tires. He didn’t have them and when I asked to order them he said no one makes them and hung up on me.

Different strokes. Some of us prefer dealing with a dealer, others can't stand their dealers/dealers in general, and will do anything to avoid that experience....

Mine came in excellent shape. Rode a few miles and found I had a battery charging problem. I called Rad, they picked up on the first ring. Had me check a few things and send a video how my battery was acting.

Yup, I agree that their support is good. I have nothing but positive things to say about their attempts at good support. But when the problem isn't something that is easily photographed or videoed, or easily repaired by a layman, that's when you wish you had a local bike shop to take it to.

Yup, I agree that their support is good. I have nothing but positive things to say about their attempts at good support. But when the problem isn't something that is easily photographed or videoed, or easily repaired by a layman, that's when you wish you had a local bike shop to take it to.
Stories such as yours make me want to buy a Pedego. I know they are expensive but at least they have a shop to do the repairs. I’m disabled and would not be able to do even small repairs. From what I’ve read on these forums it’s hit or miss buying a problem free ebike.

Out of four purchases from RPB I never got any disappointments. If I had, probably wouldn't have bought another.
The best way to increase sales is to supply a reliable bike and have good after market support. Easily RPB does that and is enjoying a successful business.
Unfortunately there is always going to be that small percentage that gets a raw deal. I found that out after working a few years for a huge department store making deliveries and exchanging products that didn't work out so well. Although the store would simply replace most of the duds, some claims took several months to complete, and all the customer wanted was to quickly get their product and use it immediately without any hassles.
Seems there should be a Lemon Law for certain cases, but then SOME dealers make it extremely difficult to be located under certain circumstances.
Too often we find that when a product doesn't work, neither does the one who sold it.

ebike dealers can attest to ebikes getting beat up pretty badly, if they happen to order only 1 or 2 ebikes and those ebikes don't ship on a pallet. Usually dealers will order multiples, so that the ebikes will ship on a pallet, and be handled by commercial freight, where they are moved around via pallet jacks. Being shipped on a pallet where you have 4 or 5 boxes, that are strapped together, and also plastic wrapped, and protected on the bottom by the wooden pallet, really mitigates a lot of potential damage. Whereas, shipping any single 70 lb box, whether its Fedex or UPS, the odds are very high they will be mis-handled, dropped, bashed, thrown around, as they are also going through more transactional moves between vehicles and docks, than commercial freight. If you are a UPS driver would you relish having to lift a relatively awkward 70 lb box ? Even if there is foam packing inside to protect it somewhat from scratches, bad stuff still happens. Its just the odds. Refreshing to see a frank post from a Rad owner.

Their bikes get banged up pretty badly in shipping. On the one hand, it's not really Rad's fault that this happens. On the other hand, they choose the shipping company and they're responsible for it. ...............................

..................Other folks in the FB group have complained about scratches and whatnot on delivery and received no replacement or compensation (if memory serves me correctly, they were offered 50% off an accessory).

............. a new controller (which is no small installation task, so I paid my local bike shop to do the work),

..................But learn from my mistakes and buy from a bricks and mortar shop. The support is worth the extra few hundred dollars you'll end up paying.
For a single 70 lb box it's basically UPS, Fedex and DHL. Not much else. They are all suffering same problem of overworked and underpaid delivery drivers. Like Mike said, ground shipping of a big heavy box increases the odds of damage even if (IF) the driver is super-diligent.

I would not make an issue with scratches, given the price. 50% of some accessory is a nice gesture, but most people already have what they need.

Would you mind to elaborate what caused the problems installing new controller onto the seatpost?

Getting the same bike from LBS for a few hundred bucks would've been nice. Does anybody know anything like City Step Through for $1,700-1,800 at LBS? Available nation-wide? I don't count imported bikes sold through LBS with same entry-level components and possibly shipped to the store one by one like RPB, with same shipping damage. The difference to consumer would be several trips instead of sending several emails, and possibly a longer wait with some little-known brand or manufacturer outsourced to the point where US office is basically a logistics company, all design and upgrades running on auto-pilot.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry to hear this. I live surrounded by many many Rads here in Washington, though I’m a Pedego owner. At 3700 miles I had some unintended acceleration so my bike is right now at the dealer and I have a loaner. I put about 100 miles on the loaner and will get my bike back tomorrow. I took it in on Friday and they had it ready for me on Tuesday. It looks like the problem was that the battery contacts needed to be cleaned. Fingers crossed that that took care of the problem!

“Refreshing to see a FRANK POST from a Rad owner.” Mike, I’m interested in what a FRANK POST from a Rad owner is. Hundreds of positive reviews from Rad owners or a or a few negative reviews from Rad owners. Not being argumentative, just curious. Thanks

As a former facility engineer for UPS, I can provide some more insight into their handling of any over 70 lb package or irregular shaped package. Instead of being handled on conveyors, "irregulars" or "irregs" are slid down a metal slide where a person moves it to a cart that's pulled by an electric tug. At least this is how it was done in 2007 and probably hasn't changed. From there, it's taken to the next trailer or package car and physically lifted to the next dock or package car. So, one ebike in a box is probably laid flat on the cart and then other heavier packages might be set on top. Or, the ebike box is stood up on it's side and other packages are slid up against it. Some of the slides are long enough that some speed can be built up and then they hit the stop at the bottom. Other heavy packages are also slide down the same slide and will slam into the packages on the bottom. I've seen lots of crunched irregular packages (as well as destroyed normal packages).

My advice to anyone shipping anything UPS or fedex is "If you aren't comfortable dropping it on the ground from three feet high, you need to package it better or not ship it".

Hi Citycrosser,
Thanks for the refreshing memories of when working in the store I mentioned earlier, receiving between 350 to 400 packages from 2 or 3 UPS vans every day except weekends. That wasn't all. 80-100 from FedEx. A dozen from DHL, and a half dozen from several small delivery outfits. They would all be tossed onto the dock for us to sort in the next three hours. Now I'm not mentioning this to be mean because I loved the exercise, and we got along great with the drivers. But I got a real laugh, and I'm really stoked that I would be able to mention this several years after the fact. When you looked at the stacks, it was real obvious which ones were from UPS. And I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.
What we heard was that there was a huge rotating separator downtown LA that would eat lots of packages for lunch. That's not to forget all the watches that showed up without any of their bands.
My 2nd RAD was delivered by UPS. As I was walking out to take delivery I heard it slide off the van with a loud boom and fading tinkle, tinkle, tinkle sound. Guess what? Well, there was nothing wrong, so all was fine. However, there are some reasons why FedEx has a better reputation in regard to their care in handling packages. But even they are not perfect. In fact my son works for FedEx and he ships everything to me using USPS to make sure I receive it, and not somebody else. LOL

Citycrosser said: "If you aren't comfortable dropping it on the ground from three feet high, you need to package it better or not ship it".

Truer words were never spoken. A lot of the drivers have back problems from handling so many packages every day. That's exactly what my UPS man did with my packages because it was too painful to bend down.
Take Care and happy trails...

Reinforcing cardboard isn't rocket science. But apparently, the crating upgrade is more expensive than damage claims. I had a bikesdirect fatbike come with a severely damaged front fork. I HAD TO MAKE THE REPAIRS.
I had some unrelated equipment shipped to me and the corners were all supported by this cardboard I-beam. Another vendor had boxes printed with warnings that the Plasma TV needed to be handled with care. In fact, it's an eBike.

Maybe enough internet and social site pressure will get them to fix the problem

Citycrosser said: "If you aren't comfortable dropping it on the ground from three feet high, you need to package it better or not ship it".

Truer words were never spoken. A lot of the drivers have back problems from handling so many packages every day. That's exactly what my UPS man did with my packages because it was too painful to bend down.
Take Care and happy trails...
Spot on!

“Refreshing to see a FRANK POST from a Rad owner.” Mike, I’m interested in what a FRANK POST from a Rad owner is. Hundreds of positive reviews from Rad owners or a or a few negative reviews from Rad owners.
All the posts are "frank".
What adds variables is a) lack of knowledge on part of a user, and b) certain percentage of shipping damage.
There is also certain percentage of failures (in months/weeks later) due to entry-level parts and components.

Every time when something goes wrong and user can't fix it, it becomes a bad PR because there is nobody to go to, other than online consultations with RPB. The company "could've" reduced such incidents by packaging better, but this would increase the costs, and some things can't be helped with a better packaging - the inertia force upon impact is still there. They could still try.

All the posts are "frank".

People who have a bike that works LOVE their bikes. If it doesn't work, and a person can't get it fixed and isn't riding in the meantime, that makes a person very unhappy!

I don't assume that people who post about their bikes are biased. I LOVE my bike, but some people aren't happy with the brand. Every maker can't please everybody. That said, aftercare is a HUGE issue in the ebike world. I think at some point we will see online ebike companies joining forces with local bike repair shops to support the local shops with parts, specs, wiring diagrams, etc. to have "authorized service centers" for their brand. I think this is a HUGE business opportunity for local bike shops, but it requires great support from brands to those local shops, because what a nightmare to have somebody's bike in the shop that can't be fixed because of lack of parts, lack of info, lack of $$$ paid by the maker for a fix, etc. One local bike shop in my area that used to have a multi-brand ebike repair division CLOSED because they got so frustrated trying to deal with brands who wouldn't send parts and info they needed to make repairs, leaving them caught in a very unhappy squeeze between the unhappy customer who wanted a fixed bike and a brand (even though sold by the same shop) who would not support the repair department.

Let's hope for a brighter future out there for companies that have online sales and no bricks-and-mortar, in this sort of a team approach that could be a win-win for everyone. YES it will drive up initial bike purchase costs. But it will result in long-term happy customers who become repeat customers.

Ebikemom, - RPB send parts without glitch as soon as they have received accurate description of an issue or what part is needed. The problem is that they don't partner with any shops. They only partner with Velofix which is not a normal shop or anything like a dealer.

So, not hoping local shops to suddenly fall in love with RPB and start servicing it like dealers, :) - the question still stands: what are the alternatives? What can one buy closely comparable to RPB City/Stepthrough, for a few hundred bucks more, available through extensive LBS network, from a good-standing brand with prompt response?

@Alex M, you don't need an extensive network if you buy from a local bike store, you just need your local. In my case, I'm walking distance to two bike shops that sell and service ebikes, and there are several others a subway ride or drive away. Mail order is good for lots of things, but bikes isn't one of them.

People who have a bike that works LOVE their bikes. If it doesn't work, and a person can't get it fixed and isn't riding in the meantime, that makes a person very unhappy!

I don't assume that people who post about their bikes are biased. I LOVE my bike, but some people aren't happy with the brand. Every maker can't please everybody. That said, aftercare is a HUGE issue in the ebike world. I think at some point we will see online ebike companies joining forces with local bike repair shops to support the local shops with parts, specs, wiring diagrams, etc. to have "authorized service centers" for their brand. I think this is a HUGE business opportunity for local bike shops, but it requires great support from brands to those local shops, because what a nightmare to have somebody's bike in the shop that can't be fixed because of lack of parts, lack of info, lack of $$$ paid by the maker for a fix, etc. One local bike shop in my area that used to have a multi-brand ebike repair division CLOSED because they got so frustrated trying to deal with brands who wouldn't send parts and info they needed to make repairs, leaving them caught in a very unhappy squeeze between the unhappy customer who wanted a fixed bike and a brand (even though sold by the same shop) who would not support the repair department.

Let's hope for a brighter future out there for companies that have online sales and no bricks-and-mortar, in this sort of a team approach that could be a win-win for everyone. YES it will drive up initial bike purchase costs. But it will result in long-term happy customers who become repeat customers.

Wise words, Ebikemom.
I am very pleased with the staff at my lbs. I find they are experienced and volunteer tons of info that I would never even think to ask.

Back