Why I won't buy another Rad Power bike (aka support your local bike shop)

Ebikemom, - RPB send parts without glitch as soon as they have received accurate description of an issue or what part is needed. The problem is that they don't partner with any shops. They only partner with Velofix which is not a normal shop or anything like a dealer.

So, not hoping local shops to suddenly fall in love with RPB and start servicing it like dealers, :) - the question still stands: what are the alternatives? What can one buy closely comparable to RPB City/Stepthrough, for a few hundred bucks more, available through extensive LBS network, from a good-standing brand with prompt response?
So you are suggesting that the LBS can live on a 15% increase over an internet only business? I guess you haven't run a retail business.

So you are suggesting that the LBS can live on a 15% increase over an internet only business? I guess you haven't run a retail business.
The idea to pay a few hundred more and buy at LBS was suggested in the post #1. I doubted this, and from your response, whatever form it came in :), it sounds like I was correct.

One "similar" bike comes to mind - Motiv Sleek. But, in upgraded 48V*11AH configuration it costs $500 more than City, and battery is still smaller. $2,300 with 48*16 battery. No front suspension, though they threw in the seatpost suspension.

@Alex M Errrr.... I can buy a bike similar to my RadCity from at least two local bike stores I can think of at the same price. Amego is a subway ride (or long walk) away for me and they sell this https://www.amegoev.com/amego-amego-elevate.html?id=13806265 for $250 more. After my experience with Rad, that would have been $250 well spent.

Edit: Just noticed it's the same price as the RadCity if you pick a different colour. https://www.amegoev.com/amego-amego-elevate.html?id=13806250

Edit2: Frankly, I think the Amego is a better looking bike than the RadCity, too, but that's a matter of taste.

Last edited:
“Refreshing to see a FRANK POST from a Rad owner.” Mike, I’m interested in what a FRANK POST from a Rad owner is. Hundreds of positive reviews from Rad owners or a or a few negative reviews from Rad owners. Not being argumentative, just curious. Thanks
Takes a lot more guts to post a review, where the posters actually admits they made a mistake on a purchase, and is willing to offer up honest critique of what occurred. Nobody wants to ever admit that, and if you understand the nature of forums, and understand the concept confirmation bias, humans love to get positive feedback on a major purchase they made, and to hear a bunch of other people say the same positive things. So its much more common to see a lot of positive reviews about products bc people get good natured 'pats on the back' by posting here, with thumbs up, someone else saying 'yeah, you're spot on' etc etc. Very few people I know want to hear anything critical about themselves or their decisions, such as on purchases they made. Again human nature. So that's why I felt his remarks were indeed FRANK, and he showed a lot of guts and even humility to state them here, and in the way that he did, and it was quite refreshing, bc it is not an easy thing to do, and you don't see a lot of that on a forum like this. Does that satisfy your 'curiosity' George ?

What can one buy closely comparable to RPB City/Stepthrough, for a few hundred bucks more, available through extensive LBS network, from a good-standing brand with prompt response?

Buying online comes with higher risk than buying a bike that has a parts and labor warranty and a local bike shop standing at the ready who knows that bike well and can fix it. Some people think that because an online bike is cheaper, it’s worth it. Other people think that’s Pennywise and pound foolish. Each person has to decide what’s important to them. But I don’t think you can find a bike with a parts and labor warranty from an LBS for the price of a RPB. The lack of boots on the ground support enables that low price tag.

I don’t think you can find a bike with a parts and labor warranty from an LBS for the price of a RPB.
Agreed. I don't think there are any bikes closely comparable to RAD City within $200 extra, either. Not from a brand with dealers network.

Amego Elevate is a "store brand", you'll be hard pressed to find another shop selling it. Besides, it is a commuter, 27.5" wheels, flat handlebar. High 19" frame, can't put both feet on the ground like with City. A different creature. No lights on standard model, I guess they've spent all the money on two derailleurs, nothing was left for lights.

I also dug deeper into Motiv - hmm..... $2,000 price (for 48V*11AH) is their online price, it can only be found on the Motiv homepage. Looks like they are doing same thing as RPB, selling consumer-direct, only for more money. Dealers in LBS charge $300 extra. So, Motiv at LBS costs $800 more than RAD City. Heck, for $800 I could replace all the electric components on the City.

Last edited:
ebike dealers can attest to ebikes getting beat up pretty badly, if they happen to order only 1 or 2 ebikes and those ebikes don't ship on a pallet. Usually dealers will order multiples, so that the ebikes will ship on a pallet, and be handled by commercial freight, where they are moved around via pallet jacks. Being shipped on a pallet where you have 4 or 5 boxes, that are strapped together, and also plastic wrapped, and protected on the bottom by the wooden pallet, really mitigates a lot of potential damage. Whereas, shipping any single 70 lb box, whether its Fedex or UPS, the odds are very high they will be mis-handled, dropped, bashed, thrown around, as they are also going through more transactional moves between vehicles and docks, than commercial freight. If you are a UPS driver would you relish having to lift a relatively awkward 70 lb box ? Even if there is foam packing inside to protect it somewhat from scratches, bad stuff still happens. Its just the odds.
My yubabikes shown left, came in a 9 cm thick box, inside a bigger 9 cm thick box. There were foam blocks between the two boxes. There were foam blocks to locate the frame in the box. There were a lot of sheets of adhesive pvc and foam to prevent paint rub damage with the box. The bike was perfect. Does rad ship in two boxes? Bodaboda costs $300 more than a radwagen without electricity. Probably worth it. The 24 speed SRAM gearing is a bonus. Electric drive (17 AH) cost me $840, making it $1100 more than a radwagen leaving out the $340 in accessories (panniers, front basket, double leg stand) which got me free freight CA to IN. Still worth it IMHO.

Isn't Rad Power a "store brand"?
It isn't. RAD is a customer-direct online business. They do have a showroom or two, where you could see the bikes and pick it up there when it arrives, but this is not a repair shop.

Neither RAD nor Amego qualify as a brand with dealers network.

My yubabikes shown left, came in a 9 cm thick box, inside a bigger 9 cm thick box.
Let's hope RAD is reading/listening. Getting pissed off customers just because it is not packed better, isn't smart. Though Boda-boda (electric version) costs $3,600 while RADwagon is $1,600. IMO, worth adding $50 and another box.

Before I pulled the trigger on a new Radrover, I researched it extensively. The choice you have is direct from the distributor or buying it from a bike shop. They will be ice skating in hell before I buy any new bike from a shop and here's why...
It is EXACTLY like buying a new car at a dealer. They have shiny new models on the floor and then they have the salesperson that will definitely be your "friend" and tell you exactly what he knows you want to hear.
The salesperson will also tell you that the bikes they sell are better than the competition...Always lol.
They start will a heavy markup (MSRP). Then you have to account for the shop's overhead. You will never, and I mean never know what the dealer has to pay for the said bike and their profit margin.
It's a fact that new bikes depreciate hugely. Way more than a car. And that depreciation is based on what you paid for it. Logic dictates that if you get hosed by the dealer then that's all the more depreciation.
Let me give you an example...Pedego eBikes. Very popular in So Cal and very nice. they have shops scattered all over Southern California and the distributor is in Orange County.
I have 2 shops not far from me. One shop had a "May sale" going on offering a 20% discount. I walked into the other shop who had the same bikes for retail MSRP and no sale going on.
You don't think if I played him against the shop across town that he wouldn't give me the same deal? Whoa, 20% off a bike with a 40% markup! lol
My point is there are tradeoffs. Buying direct from the distributor eliminates all that crap. The flipside is a shop will give you the VIP treatment as opposed to being on your own.
Saving a $1000 on a $4000 bike to me is a no brainer...I'll take my chances.

Saving a $1000 on a $4000 bike to me is a no brainer...I'll take my chances.
I would say - saving $1,000 or more, compared to +$2,500 dealers brand. Which is a better percentage :).
RAD $1,500, Motiv $2,300-2,600 (depending on the options), Pedego from $3,200. Though I wouldn't want a bike with battery on a rear rack.

But, there is also such thing as a store brand, there are dozens of them in the US and Canada. Prices comparable to online guys like RPB. If you live right there in town where they are - you are in luck. If you don't, it's the same online affair as with RPB.

Last edited:
Since the mark up on my bike is supporting a bricks and mortar dealer in my town and a company that stocks replacement parts for all of its models for years and years, then my purchase just might be a good long-term financial decision. I’ll let you know in 10 years!?

stocks replacement parts for all of its models for years and years,
Good luck with that! I already have motors that parts are near impossible to find. Sadly it's more common than we might hope.

If you want a type of bike, sometimes , internet dealers are the only option. I wanted a higher powered fat bike and at the time, my only choices were the Juiced Hyperfat and the Biktrix Ultra. I went with the Biktrix and have had little trouble servicing the bike and after sales
support has been great.

Thomas is right. Electrical parts are made in China, often same motor and display for several brands, and brands have little to no control for when factories change or discontinue some part. Then dealer sells you a newer part, you pay full price, warranty expired long ago.

With proprietary parts that are unique to the brand it's not much better, they still discontinue them.

If you want a type of bike, sometimes , internet dealers are the only option. I wanted a higher powered fat bike and at the time, my only choices were the Juiced Hyperfat and the Biktrix Ultra. I went with the Biktrix and have had little trouble servicing the bike and after sales
support has been great.
Roshan is a different fellow. He's a great seller and known all around the industry as one of the good fellas!

Roshan is a different fellow. He's a great seller and known all around the industry as one of the good fellas!
"almost" sounds like RBP is some bandido :) ... Just kidding.... I like Biktrix models, only think that mid-drive would be more difficult to DIY replace than a hub motor. They don't have cruiser hub with regular 2.3 tire. Oh, btw, how are their boxes?

Last edited:
Worked in the farm equipment and power sports business over 50 years so I’m no stranger to the retail side of things. Complaints are part of this business. How you take care of those complaints is the difficult part. Compliments will take care of them selves. I think RPD is doing a good job in taking care of their customers and they have a good product at an attractive price. They are an internet business so if you think they are going to come to your door with a salesman or a technician it’s not going to happen. If that’s what someone wants then you go to those that offer that. Personally having repaired and serviced power sports I find a bicycle a pretty simple item to work on. I don’t need a technician. I do my own search and come to a conclusions before I purchase. That includes the local businesses. My biggest turn off when seeking to purchase something is when the salesman/owner thinking he has to down grade his competition in order to sell his product. If his product can’t stand on its own merit I walk away. I have had this happen more often than not. I think the local business has the upper hand over an internet business. He has the customer right in front of him. He has the opportunity to tell his customer why his product and service is better. He can use his parts and accessories departments as a sales tool. There is room for both ways of doing business. If you don’t adapt to your surroundings you are due for failure.

Back