Why I won't buy another Rad Power bike (aka support your local bike shop)

"almost" sounds like RBP is some bandido :) ... Just kidding.... I like Biktrix models, only think that mid-drive would be more difficult to DIY replace than a hub motor. They don't have cruiser hub with regular 2.3 tire. Oh, btw, how are their boxes?
I can't address his shipping. Mid drives are easy replacements, but then I sell them and that colors my opinion.

AcesSting, you're not the only one. However, those comments (on X-Post) seem to confirm what I mentioned earlier - lack of knowledge on part of a user. Or maybe conditions of use and maintenance. 2 controllers in one year, 3 controllers... Or 3 displays (none of them turned out to be a problem). Online bike you need to be able to troubleshoot and service, or this route is not for you.

Note that out of 5 posts pertaining to RAD bikes, 4 are about Radwagon. This might not mean much, but could be a result of more stress that cargo bikes are subjected to (compared to cruiser). Machine can only take so much abuse.

Last edited:
@Alex M, the problem is that's how Rad chooses to troubleshoot. They throw parts and you (controllers, screens, etc) and expect them to fix the problem or burn out trying. In my case, it's pretty obvious that I have a dud battery, but they still sent me two screens, a second controller and whatnot. The battery issue is still a problem and now they're asking for more photos and videos some of which are simply impractical to take (like several hours long). I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are lots of things that are good mail order, bikes isn't one of them.

Of course they will resist your attempts to get a new battery! This is the most expensive part on bikes under $2,000. And it is far less likely (on a new bike) than a shipping damage, so I can understand them too. By your description in post #1 it does sound like a battery.

Last edited:
Ace I had a bad battery, that worked the first couple of days I rode it, and did not have the nightmare you had. Perhaps I got a different service tech. I did the checks they asked and charged it overnight. I Have an understanding of electrical components and testing so I was not in the dark. A simple 20 second video was all it took to satisfy a warranty claim. The battery is the most expensive component on the bike and is a real problem getting shipped so little extra on my part didn’t bother me. Received a new battery in a fire proof packing in just a few days. I was quite impressed and comfortable with my experience. Sorry you weren’t.

I think you should go to your local dealer. RPB may pay some or all of the work to have local dealer look at it. Never hurts to ask. Hope you get to enjoy your bike soon.

I think you should go to your local dealer. RPB may pay some or all of local dealer to fix it. It never hurts to ask. Hope you can get to enjoy your bike soon.

Look at that reddit thread. That guy has a battery problem too and Rad is giving him the runaround. I'm glad that you have an understanding of testing electrical components but I do not. I don't think that should be a prerequisite to buying a bike.

It's not that difficult to check and document the battery health. I would start with measuring no-load voltage fresh after charging, then under load and after some run-time (doesn't need to be on the road). Also amps under load, and make note of voltage drop under load. This is (very likely) more than Bill did and what RPB techs required.

Look at that reddit thread. That guy has a battery problem too and Rad is giving him the runaround. I'm glad that you have an understanding of testing electrical components but I do not. I don't think that should be a prerequisite to buying a bike.

While I do agree in a lot of cases, when it comes to RAD bike, here's the deal. YOU made a choice to buy a bike direct, and further, assemble it yourself. While I would encourage both of those decisions (to economize as well as learn the most possible about your new purchase), I think most will agree those same choices aren't for everyone. Worst case, while you at least tried to learn the most possible about your bike, you still have the option of taking it to a dealer, or in some cases have the dealer come to you with one of the available mobile services (a practice Rad fully endorses).

It's not that difficult to check and document the battery health. I would start with measuring no-load voltage fresh after charging, then under load and after some run-time (doesn't need to be on the road). Also amps under load, and make note of voltage drop under load.

YOU made a choice to buy a bike direct ... I think most will agree those same choices aren't for everyone.

Thanks, @AHicks for proving my point. Buy from a local bike shop unless you're a bike mechanic. RAD should make that clearer on their website so prospective customers know what is expected of them.

I recently bought a RadCity, and you know what? I love it. It's my first electric bike, and I don't have a ton to compare it to, but I'm very happy with it.

When it works.

Unfortunately, it has problems, and some of those problems are compounded by the fact that Rad Power bikes are mail order. If I were going to buy again, I would buy from a local bike shop. Here's why...

For starters, Rad Power bikes have a lot of quality control issues. Their bikes get banged up pretty badly in shipping. On the one hand, it's not really Rad's fault that this happens. On the other hand, they choose the shipping company and they're responsible for it. It's their business model.

Mine wasn't as bad as some of the ones you see on the FB group, the only thing that arrived broken for me was the display and Rad promptly sent me a new one which I installed myself. Other folks in the FB group have complained about scratches and whatnot on delivery and received no replacement or compensation (if memory serves me correctly, they were offered 50% off an accessory). That's the type of problem that would only happen mail order and one more reason I recommend buying from your local bike shop.

I am having continuing issues with my battery that remain unresolved. It stays at "5 bars" of power then rapidly goes down to 1 bar fluctuating randomly a fair bit, and I only get about 30km to a charge. This issue is still outstanding with Rad -- we've tried several things to fix it, a new display (I actually just installed the broken one instead of asking them to ship yet another one to me), a new controller (which is no small installation task, so I paid my local bike shop to do the work), and no luck. If they were bricks and mortar, I'd be able to drop off the bike for a few days, they could ride it and see the problem in action, then fix it. But Rad is mail order, so they can't. Instead there's a lot of back and forth with videos and photos and long descriptions and misunderstandings.

And that brings me to the next part of why it's bad to buy a Rad bike mail order: you're the mechanic. I had to install/uninstall all of this stuff myself. I'm handy to a point, but I'm not a bike mechanic. If they were bricks and mortar, they'd be the ones doing the work. Instead they expect you to do a lot.

My chain split in half. To Rad's credit, even though chains aren't covered by warranty, they paid the $30 to fix it at a local bike shop. Even still it was a pain in the butt getting quotes and negotiating the process.

I also got an "Error 30", which I found out means that there's a bad connection somewhere. I had to connect and disconnect wires (no big deal), except that some of those wires are inside the bike. I had to remove the flange to get to them, and I can't get it back into place. Again, you guessed it, if they were B&M they'd be fixing this themselves instead of it being my headache.

I'm also now getting a creaking sound out of my back tire. The folks on the FB group seem to think it's a loose spoke. I reached out to Rad with a video of the problem, and they said the same thing. When I took it to my local bike shop to get it fixed (at my own cost, because they didn't offer to cover that and I don't trust myself tightening spokes) they said that the spokes were fine. I left it at the bike shop, they're going to diagnose it and fix it. This, of course, will be at my cost, which it wouldn't be if Rad Power had a physical presence in my city.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that e-bikes are still a relatively new technology and I have a lot of patience for new tech. I know that it's going to encounter issues like these and I'm good with that. But learn from my mistakes and buy from a bricks and mortar shop. The support is worth the extra few hundred dollars you'll end up paying.

I could go on but nobody reads a comment this long. :)

You are lucky. If I could not do mail order I would have to drive 100+ miles to get any of my toys( model trains, RC boats and cars, Trucks My pellet rifles). Plus a Radcity wouldn't fit in my Miata anyway. Plus bicycles are easy to work on. Find out how to on youtube. Now I can't lace a wheel. But truing a wheel on the bike just takes me longer. I wish the had more part on their site. But for the money they can't be beat. If it was for my Radcity I would be not be riding. Have a bad hip. It is just about like riding a motorcycle gave them you at 40 when 2 friends got killed.
Johnny McCown 72+ and still ticking.
Ps bet you still us DOS (widows too)

Buying an internet sales bike means YOU are in effect the dealer. Sadly they make it sound easy. A shame really! I see something similar with kit builders. It's all easy until there's a problem. I'm stunned by the number of buyers that choose internet bikes or kits and don't own a multimeter!

Buy from a local bike shop unless you're a bike mechanic. RAD should make that clearer on their website so prospective customers know what is expected of them.
Doing your own research and weighing pros and cons is necessary with any more-less complex online purchase. Marketing materials are just that - marketing materials.

Knowing basics of electrical works is not the same thing as being a mechanic, though these trades overlap. It's not a prerequisite for buying an ebike, but when you're buying online, it de-facto becomes such a prerequisite. Like others said, you then become your own dealer and repairman. If you don't have basic tools (in case of an ebike this includes multimeter), don't buy ebike online without a shop nearby willing to fix. No offense, this is a commons sense. Mobile services were mentioned - yes, Velofix have an agreement with RPB to assemble, tune up and do minor repairs - for a price.

Last edited:
I'd rather pay $1000 less for a bike and $1000 more for accessories. You will get far and away more bang for your buck.
Buying straight from a distributor allowed me to do that.

Thanks, @AHicks for proving my point. Buy from a local bike shop unless you're a bike mechanic. RAD should make that clearer on their website so prospective customers know what is expected of them.

You don't need to be a bike mechanic to assemble a Rad. Hundreds of success stories have proven that point beyond a shadow of doubt. That's not to say however, that you will never need service beyond your abilities.

If you feel you must be competent to troubleshoot and repair anything that ever happens to that bike as part of your decision to purchase, consider one thing. With what you saved on the initial purchase, and then the money saved by assembling the bike on your own (not to mention what you learned about the bike during that process), you can likely afford to have something complicated worked on by a pro a few times!

My point is this is not as one sided as the agenda you are trying to push (buy from a shop unless you are a mechanic). Attempting your own repairs prior to taking it to a shop is a perfectly legitimate practice - especially if you count the potential for the patience to sit down and do some research on the issue while poking around on you tube.

Beside all that, some take a tremendous, and often well deserved, amount of satisfaction in figuring stuff out on our own. A bike allows that with with it's relative simplicity. You don't have to worry about blowing yourself up, burning down a city block, or looking for a ride when it quits at an altitude of 10,000 ft for instance.... -Al

Suggestion for those concerned about mechanical aptitude regarding DIY. If you live near bike shops inquire if they have bike repair clinics. There are 2 close to me.
One is the 1st Saturday of the month and one is the 3rd Saturday of the month. Both are FREE! Likely they are hoping you buy stuff.
I went to one while I'm waiting for the other. The second one is the same shop that is assembling my bike. I learned invaluable knowledge on how to DIY maintenance.
In an hour 30 min, I learned how to fix a flat, lube and clean the chain, clean the bike, and also have every question you could throw at him before he said "thanks for coming."
He was a master bike mechanic of 30 years. That and his real world "what ifs" left me confident I can do most of it on my own and I'm a total noob to bike riding since 12 ( I'm 70) now.
I bought a folding stand to elevate my new radrover off the floor so I don't have to bend over to work on it for $40...I can't wait!

Back