Why I won't buy another Rad Power bike (aka support your local bike shop)

Here is my suggestion to RPB and other internet bike purveyors. You need to have videos about common issues. You can't have too many videos. You can have videos that cover simple issues (like turning on the bike) to complex issues like tracking down an electrical connection issue.
You didn't know that they already do this?

I'm not 100% happy with my RP bikes, but I've engaged with their TS twice and they've been quite helpful both times. No, not always videos, but ... for diagnosing electric connections in particular, I think you are WAY overestimating that just having a "video" will be some magic bullet to make it easy. I'd actually say that videos might be worse than text, and/or if you can't follow text instructions, it's unlikely you'll suddenly know what you're doing just because you watched video.

That's a fact. I can read something and understand it fairly well. I thought everyone could. Turns out, that's not the case at all. Many need a picture or video of a new to them concept to even have a clue. Only took me about 40 years to figure that out.....

Last edited:
Only took me about 40 years to figure that out....
Ah, well, I'm a professor, so I had to figure that out as part of my job! ;) There is a huge range of individual differences in how people learn and function. And, teaching has also shown me that there is also a huge range of preferences--one student's favorite thing about a class is what drives another student nuts. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't understand why some people are against buying directly from the distributor.
Granted, I live in SoCal and bike shops are a dime a dozen out here but I found all kinds of shops that will work on a Rad bike regardless of what issue comes up. After reading the "horror" stories of how their bikes arrived all crumpled up I contacted a Trek Superstore by me. I told them I was worried and asked if I could have Rad ship it to them for assembly. I also contacted 2 other bike shops and ALL 3 said Yes you can and all 3 said they can and will do ANY maintenance ever required. If anything was beyond them, they would call Rad tech support. I confirmed all this with Rad bikes tech support.
Anyone saying Rad bikes tech is not outstanding just simply do not know what they are talking about or they are simply doing the "internet exaggeration."
There are a crap ton of places that hold free bike maintenance classes for those (like me) that need a refresher. There are also a crap ton of bike shops that hold free maintenance classes on the 1st or 3rd Saturday or Sunday of each month!
If you want to blow that extra money needlessly on a "boutique" bike like a Pedego knock yourself out. You WILL pay a premium. How do you think the middle man stays in business?? By profit, that's how. Granted those bikes are awesome. They also cost double.
I guarantee that a $1500 Rad bike with $1500 worth of accessories will be just as good as whatever...and..it will be exactly what I want.

I don't understand why some people are against buying directly from the distributor.
You and I don't need to understand. I've been involved with kits for 5 years. I talk with all sorts of customers all week. Not everyone wants the tools and time it takes to be a bicycle mechanic. Sure there are lots of resources, but many here want to ride and get support from a stocking dealer. There are many different market segments. Each to his/her own.

the rear brake pads had been adjusted so close that the rear wheel was frozen. I needed to learn how to take off the rear brake and make the adjustment. The lcd control panel was disconnected and i needed to find the disconnection.

Here is my suggestion to RPB and other internet bike purveyors. You need to have videos about common issues. You can't have too many videos. You can have videos that cover simple issues (like turning on the bike) to complex issues like tracking down an electrical connection issue.
There is only one connector to LCD display, you found it, naturally.
If you check their video one more time, they do recommend using a friend to lift the bike out of the box. Alternatively, you could cut the front wall if there is nobody to help you, or lay it down and slide it out.
There are hundreds of videos and articles on how to mechanically tune up non-powered bikes. Ebikes are not much different.
There are dozens of videos on troubleshooting ebikes too, RAD have a rather generic electrical layout. There is only one OEM video on RAD City, it does show how to adjust the brakes, though on the front wheel.

I agree, a couple more OEM videos wouldn't hurt, though on the wide wobbly web you can find several videos and articles with good photos on mechanical and electrical issues with RAD.

We should not expect distributors to make videos explaining the difference between Watts and Watt Hours, what the DC current is, how to use a multimeter to check the circuit continuity, or how to read :). Sorry, couldn't resist.

The thing is - most people have no knowledge of anything electrical, they expect devices to be as simple and reliable as a wooden meat pounder that you take to meat and chicken - because it looks simple on surface. But it is not. When buying from distributor, users need to be prepared to troubleshoot electrical issues (and some mechanical too). You become you own mechanic and dealer, many people said this many times already, we are going in circles. Users have to learn.

I "think" distributors of low-cost ebikes are reluctant to put up a detailed electrical and mechanical manual on how to do everything, because less people would buy, scared off with the amount of information. There are such manuals for cars, motorcycles and outboard motors, they very detailed, meant for dealers and repairmen, and guess what - they are not free.

Last edited:
Back