Rad 5 Bike Electrical Issues

Kevo888

Region
USA
Hi All
I have had a Rad 5 Bike for less than 2 years and many, many electrical issues. After 14 months (and only 140 miles, and of course out of warranty) the main power control module went out. I had to wait almost 3 months for Rad bikes to get the part from China as they were out stock due to electrical cold solder joint issues. Now with less than 180 miles total on the bike I am getting “ERROR CODE 21” which can mean up to five different things. Both issues were ultimately fixed by Mobile service for a total of $650 US. Keep in mind I live in Southern Calif and it currently takes 2-1/2 months to even get a service appointment at the local Rad bike store? Really?

Do yourself a favor and DON’T BUY A RAD ELECTRIC BIKE as they are so unreliable and costly to use. Rad bikes knows about these electrical issues….. After $650 out of my pocket in only 18 months run from Rad bikes……

We have the same exact issue with my son's bike, though it started with the point of purchase when they sent the bike without a functioning battery. It took forever to get that replaced, even through a RAD certified bike repair person. Now two years in, the bike has stopped working completely and we have spent months trying to troubleshoot - again using a certified repair person - with no luck. They sent the wrong parts and now we have waited weeks for the correct parts. Support is completely unresponsive. They are a terrible company for customer service, which is problematic because their product is unreliable. I really advise all to steer clear of RAD.

We have the same exact issue with my son's bike, though it started with the point of purchase when they sent the bike without a functioning battery. It took forever to get that replaced, even through a RAD certified bike repair person. Now two years in, the bike has stopped working completely and we have spent months trying to troubleshoot - again using a certified repair person - with no luck. They sent the wrong parts and now we have waited weeks for the correct parts. Support is completely unresponsive. They are a terrible company for customer service, which is problematic because their product is unreliable. I really advise all to steer clear of RAD.
Yes and to add insult to injury, when I went to my local Rad Bike store in Huntington Beach, CA. Besides not having parts to fix my bike, they told me they were having a big sale on the RAD bikes. So let me get this right, you don’t have the parts to fix my Rad bike but you are overstocked on new bikes and they won’t take a part off a new bike which they have toooo many of, to fix my bike….. I was going to buy my two adult kids a new Ebike, but it won’t be a RAD bike for sure. Looking at the Ebike company Adventon for my next Ebike purchases. Stay away from Rad bikes…

Your stories make building one's own ebike seem like the way to go, especially for someone on a budget. Parts are readily available, and your certified repair person is you.

Sorry for your problems, but my experience with Rad has been polar opposite. Very few problems and very good customer service. I have a 2018 Rover can have been quite happy with it. Just saying... since it's mostly people with issues that post, not the people who have good experiences

TT

Sorry for your problems, but my experience with Rad has been polar opposite. Very few problems and very good customer service. I have a 2018 Rover can have been quite happy with it. Just saying... since it's mostly people with issues that post, not the people who have good experiences

TT
I think I must have got a Covid Rad bike build. Got it Dec 2021. I think the issue I have is everything electronic has some issues. Rad Bike’s response was you are 2 months out of the warranty period and the part you need is 2-3 out. I check with my neighbor down the street who bought the same model just a few months later than me and he had the same exact electrical issues. One of his two repairs were covered under warranty though. But same Rad models and the same exact issues…. Come on. Even the mobile service that did the repair work said he has worked on plenty of Rad bikes all usually with electrical issues. Mechanically he said they are good…

Back