Which Turbo Como?

jaizon

95% leisure country roads, small hills for the most part, but one huge hill leading up to my house which is not paved. I weigh 300 lbs and I am not in great shape at 73, and would prefer not to have to walk the bike up that hill. Do I need the 1.3, which will cost me a lot more money or can I get by with a 1.2? Other than that I think the bike will be perfect. Thanks.

Can you arrange a test ride to your home, or at least a similar hill?

We selected the Turbo Vado with the 1.3 motor for the extra torque (90Nm vs 75). Glad we did. These bikes are more money, but they also have larger capacity batteries (600Wh vs 500), upgraded brakes, and higher grade drive train components. The extra $ sting for a bit, but I'm happy we went with performance and quality.

BTW - We're also in our 70's

One of our LBSs let me 'borrow' a bike for a test ride nearer the steeper hills near my home. They even helped me load it on my rack. I've heard that other shos offer daily rentals of ebikes for extended test rides.

Other than that, facing a 'huge hill' to your house I'd choose to err on the side of more torque, the Como 5.

95% leisure country roads, small hills for the most part, but one huge hill leading up to my house which is not paved. I weigh 300 lbs and I am not in great shape at 73, and would prefer not to have to walk the bike up that hill. Do I need the 1.3, which will cost me a lot more money or can I get by with a 1.2? Other than that I think the bike will be perfect. Thanks.
The entry level Como which I (200 # ) have is not the one for you. Heavy load and steep hills means more torque is needed or at least desired. If the hill is just long not steep you might be fine, even on a Como 3. You really need to rent one or two and climb a similsr hill. My lbs arranged a weekend rest drive more time than you need.

Last edited:
We have a Vado 4.0 and a Como 4.0 and regularly ride a 12degree hill for roughly a mile. We’re in our 50s, not as heavy, (I am 180). it is some work, but very comfortable.

I think Tim’s advice is best, it’s a big investment, probable worth the drive to trial.

Check the Como 4 as well. I think it has the same motor as the 5 but is a less expensive class 1, 20 mph ebike. Either way, a sweet ride.

In for a dime in for a dollar. :cool:
I wish it were "a dollar" between the two. Up here in Calgary, the price difference between the 4 and the 5, was $1700 when you could in fact find a 5 in stock. That's a huge chunk of change and I don't think it provides enough extra value. I'd already own a Vado 4, other than the fact I'd really like to give a Giant Express+2 a go.

Now if the bike shop that showed stock (not exactly local), would simply reply to my enquiries, I could move forward. I was a customer of theirs for many years but the appear to be struggling with their customer service at present. I'm not driving 300km without some guarantee that they'll have one. I suppose I could just buy it, go pick it up, take for an extended test up there (Edmonton) and if I don't like it, return it under there satisfaction guarantee.

The delta between the Vado4 and the Giant is also noticable, $1300. That pays for a Kinect and a spare battery, plus maybe a couple of IPAs. Heavy sigh...

The bigger Vado battery costs CAD1100...
P.S. You mean Giant Explore E+ 2. I recommend the Pro version (Yamaha PW-X2 motor). Besides, there are only Class 1 bikes in Canada. It is different for the United States.

The bigger Vado battery costs CAD1100...
P.S. You mean Giant Explore E+ 2. I recommend the Pro version (Yamaha PW-X2 motor). Besides, there are only Class 1 bikes in Canada. It is different for the United States.
Don't think the Pro is available in Canada, at least for the Explorer model. There is a Fastroad, guys much smaller battery.

Last edited:
Good news, the store finally reached out and we're conversing online. They are manually checking the stock as they show only 1 of the Giant in stock. If they have it and a Vado, I'll go do a test drive as soon as I can. The Giant will have to be special, because the V factor (Volvo, VW and Vado) is pretty strong! And of course, sticking to this thread, I want to test a Como 4 too.

Good news, the store finally reached out and we're conversing online. They are manually checking the stock as they show only 1 of the Giant in stock. If they have it and a Vado, I'll go do a test drive as soon as I can. The Giant will have to be special, because the V factor (Volvo, VW and Vado) is pretty strong! And of course, sticking to this thread, I want to test a Como 4 too.
All three are very good choices. The Explore is of the most "touring" character of all three. Vado is a racing machine, if you ask me ;) (But limited to 32 km/h in Canada). I've never ridden a Como but the owners are delighted with it. The point is the more you pay for a model, the more you can expect from the bike. Large battery is the most important (and expensive) factor there.

I just picked up a Como 5.0 2 weeks ago. I've been riding it every day and LOVE it. I went with the 5.0 over the 4.0 due to the bigger battery, newer version motor, better brakes and shifters. If you watch the YouTube reviews on the Comos on the electric bike review channel, you will see Court seems to think its worth the added cost, $800 difference here in the US. He has videos on the 4.0 and 5.0 you should watch.

Back