Which Turbo Como?

That is right, Charlotte. ;) According to the EBR review, but maybe that not for the step through. Though I find it hard to believe they would make them different classes and it's hard to see Court making a mistake like that.

Latest check. OMG Stepthrough IS listed as Class 1. Wow! That is odd.

That is right, Charlotte. ;) According to the EBR review, but maybe that not for the step through. Though I find it hard to believe they would make them different classes and it's hard to see Court making a mistake like that.

Latest check. OMG Stepthrough IS listed as Class 1. Wow! That is odd.

My wife's is a stepthrough. It's a Class 1 2020 Como 3.0.

Ok so I decide on the Como 4 and go to buy it and decide to get the low entry. But it only comes in a s and L. Whaaat?? And I'm 5'9 female, and 60. And I think going forward maybe I should try the low entry. But the large seems long and kind of bigger...The small is too small. I don't have a problem with the straight bar mount...but what to do? Will they have a m/l low entry like they do on the straight bar in 2021?

Ok so I decide on the Como 4 and go to buy it and decide to get the low entry. But it only comes in a s and L. Whaaat?? And I'm 5'9 female, and 60. And I think going forward maybe I should try the low entry. But the large seems long and kind of bigger...The small is too small. I don't have a problem with the straight bar mount...but what to do? Will they have a m/l low entry like they do on the straight bar in 2021?
I am 5 foot 9 inch male and actually bought the large step thru como and returned it for a medium step over como. I could not adjust to the large frame bike, nor could it be adjusted to me. Dealer pointed out that you can make a small bike ride like a bigger bike, but not the other way around.

Well, today I went to Hilltop in Summit NJ to look, see, feel, touch, ask, possibly test any Como or Vado top of the line bikes, and the "assistance" was deplorable. They had no clue as to what, if any were available, as well as one or two bikes on the floor ready for delivery could not be ascertained if they were 2019 or 2020 models.

I really got that luvin' feeling about wanting to possibly consider jumping from Trek to Specialized and made me really think if it is a bad decision to consider an alternate brand other than Trek. Hilltop has several stores in the NJ/NY area, and it makes me wonder if not them, then who else, as previously I went to Kim's in New Brunswick and they too were of no help.

Hey Specialized, does your company care or am I living on another planet?

How on earth is a potential customer supposed to even have an opportunity if the dealers are so lame?

I am 5 foot 9 inch male and actually bought the large step thru como and returned it for a medium step over como. I could not adjust to the large frame bike, nor could it be adjusted to me. Dealer pointed out that you can make a small bike ride like a bigger bike, but not the other way around.

According to the Specialized website, you are perfect for the M/L. Of course, there is no medium...so.

Well, today I went to Hilltop in Summit NJ to look, see, feel, touch, ask, possibly test any Como or Vado top of the line bikes, and the "assistance" was deplorable. They had no clue as to what, if any were available, as well as one or two bikes on the floor ready for delivery could not be ascertained if they were 2019 or 2020 models.

I really got that luvin' feeling about wanting to possibly consider jumping from Trek to Specialized and made me really think if it is a bad decision to consider an alternate brand other than Trek. Hilltop has several stores in the NJ/NY area, and it makes me wonder if not them, then who else, as previously I went to Kim's in New Brunswick and they too were of no help.

Hey Specialized, does your company care or am I living on another planet?

How on earth is a potential customer supposed to even have an opportunity if the dealers are so lame?

There are always bad eggs. I'd contact Specialized and let them know about the poor experience. My LBS was amazing in terms of the bike itself. When it came to new cyclist questions about general maintenance and accessories, they were left wanting, and I might not ever do anything but bike servicing with them again.

I dropped $8k on 2 bikes, truck rack and accessories and when I wanted high end locks, they blew me off like I was a moron for wanting something other than a cable lock I could cut with a pocket pair of side cutters. Asked them to look into ABUS key alike for me and they never called me back...why would they pass up a $400 sale?

All that being said, a friend that went to a store a few hours from me had an amazing experience. With so many dealers, I'd assume they can't make them all perfect. Not sure why some places are so successful but treat people so poorly.

I bought a 2020 Como 3.0 in April and according to the description on the Specialized website there is no reason to believe that it is not a 2020 model. There is however a sticker on the underside of the top tube stating that it was manufactured in December of 2018. This time lag between manufacture and availability for sale in the shops may be normal, I don't know?

It is most definitely a class 1 bike that I specifically chose due to the current laws here in Minnesota. I use it strictly for recreational purposes and spend a lot of time riding bike paths on which class 3 bikes are prohibited per the MN statute. Besides 20mph assist is quite adequate for my riding.

I'm 6'3" and and have some issues with my knees, as such I required an XL frame which is only available in a step over and I have the seat height maxed but it is working just fine for me. After putting about 500 miles on it I'm extremely pleased with the bike and were I still riding my old analog bike my mileage would be about 1/3rd of that. Btw the fenders didn't come with the bike when new, I installed them a few weeks after the initial purchase in order to make wet roads/trails a little more tolerable.
Cheer

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_165814522.jpg
    IMG_20200606_165814522.jpg
    924.7 KB · Views: 286
@Charlotte, the situation in the bike market is dramatic right now. Let me be the devil's advocate.

Why not this e-bike?

Bulls are a respected German company. The strong points of the bike I'm showing are:
  • Class 3
  • Silent Brose TF motor, same as found in Turbo Vado and Como 5.0
  • 650 Wh battery. (Como 4.0 comes with 500 Wh battery)
  • 203 mm front/rear Tektro hydraulic disk brakes (Como 4.0 comes with 180/160 mm brakes)
  • Double chain-ring, making it easy both to get on high speed and to climb
  • Better saddle and tyres.
Your size of the frame is 48 cm. The list price is US$3499. It is a no-brainer.
I am a Vado rider but it let me understand that Ye Good Ole Specialized are a complicated company, with overpriced e-bikes and a lot of custom parts that are hard to buy in the aftermarket.

@Charlotte, the situation in the bike market is dramatic right now. Let me be the devil's advocate.

Why not this e-bike?

Bulls are a respected German company. The strong points of the bike I'm showing are:
  • Class 3
  • Silent Brose TF motor, same as found in Turbo Vado and Como 5.0
  • 650 Wh battery. (Como 4.0 comes with 500 Wh battery)
  • 203 mm front/rear Tektro hydraulic disk brakes (Como 4.0 comes with 180/160 mm brakes)
  • Double chain-ring, making it easy both to get on high speed and to climb
  • Better saddle and tyres.
Your size of the frame is 48 cm. The list price is US$3499. It is a no-brainer.
I am a Vado rider but it let me understand that Ye Good Ole Specialized are a complicated company, with overpriced e-bikes and a lot of custom parts that are hard to buy in the aftermarket.

Stefan, are you saying she should seriously consider getting this bike over the Como 5?

Thank you Stephan. Very helpful comparisons and information. I guess I thought I was done shopping...Lol! Totally compartmentalized! I'm looking at your suggestion. Thanks

Thank you Stephan. Very helpful comparisons and information. I guess I thought I was done shopping...Lol! Totally compartmentalized! I'm looking at your suggestion. Thanks
If you buy online, make sure you can return easily. If you decide to buy at your LBS as I did, make sure you can get the service you are paying for. Easy to say, harder to do, I know.

Don't get caught up with too much analysis (like I do). One thing to consider is your comfort with electronics. From what I am learning from these forums, is that the ability to manage the e-bike experience via a smartphone/app, is pretty good with Specialized and perhaps needs some improvements for some other platforms like Giant.

Whether Bulls has anything like that I am not sure, but if it's not something you'd likely use, then it's a moot point.

I am sure others may pipe in. :)

Stefan, are you saying she should seriously consider getting this bike over the Como 5?
Yes, honestly. I was lucky to buy a New OId Stock Vado 5.0 MY 2017 in Autumn 2019. It was the first issue of the Vado (with the motor, battery and components equivalent to today's EU Vado 6.0) and this specific e-bike never sold. I paid some US$3900 and it was really a bargain. In May this year, Specialized upgraded the electronics in my Vado to the MY 2020. So I am happy because I am such a lucky man.

However, Bulls make excellent e-bikes with (technically speaking) the same motors as Specialized Turbo e-bikes, have far better battery and components in the same price segment, and look beautifully. It is not a no-name Chinese company. It is a German brand.

I'll tell you what. Currently I own, among others, the Vado 5.0 (a Class 3 commuter e-bike) and Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro (e-MTB). If I had my understanding of today, I would have just bought this e-bike:

It is a proper e-MTB with Brose motor and 650 Wh battery. Then I would create two wheel-sets: one for road and the stock one would be for off-road. I would have a single Class 3 commuter/mountain e-bike.

Why Specialized? The company that do what they please?

Yes, honestly. I was lucky to buy a New OId Stock Vado 5.0 MY 2017 in Autumn 2019. It was the first issue of the Vado (with the motor, battery and components equivalent to today's EU Vado 6.0) and this specific e-bike never sold. I paid some US$3900 and it was really a bargain. In May this year, Specialized upgraded the electronics in my Vado to the MY 2020. So I am happy because I am such a lucky man.

However, Bulls make excellent e-bikes with (technically speaking) the same motors as Specialized Turbo e-bikes, have far better battery and components in the same price segment, and look beautifully. It is not a no-name Chinese company. It is a German brand.

I'll tell you what. Currently I own, among others, the Vado 5.0 (a Class 3 commuter e-bike) and Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro (e-MTB). If I had my understanding of today, I would have just bought this e-bike:

It is a proper e-MTB with Brose motor and 650 Wh battery. Then I would create two wheel-sets: one for road and the stock one would be for off-road. I would have a single Class 3 commuter/mountain e-bike.

Why Specialized? The company that do what they please?

Very interesting. And this is a bit embarrassing, but I have been basing the focus of my interest on your opinions. 🤔 So now I need another recommendation if you don't mind. I live near a Bulls dealer, so that is good. However I need a step through with maximum power and the ability to go up one steep dirt/rocks path, but I have no intention of ever doing off road trails or mountain biking. With that in mind can you suggest something for me. Thanks.

Back