Which e-bike for a deer hunter?

ebott

My deer hunter friend is looking for a bike that can get him to his tree stand (off-road to say the least) and then, if lucky, could then return both him and his deer to his vehicle. Does not need speed but good torque for hill/rough trail conditions. My CCX of course just wouldn't do it for him and not sure their off-road models would either. He has no need to do 28 MPH, but the power to handle those conditions and a possible 300#+ load. Any suggestions?

My deer hunter friend is looking for a bike that can get him to his tree stand (off-road to say the least) and then, if lucky, could then return both him and his deer to his vehicle. Does not need speed but good torque for hill/rough trail conditions. My CCX of course just wouldn't do it for him and not sure their off-road models would either. He has no need to do 28 MPH, but the power to handle those conditions and a possible 300#+ load. Any suggestions?

A 1000 watt mid drive with low gearing might do it. Same site offers trailers.

https://rambobikes.com/product/r1000xpc-camo/

I used my e-bike turkey hunting this past spring, and will be using it in the northwest Georgia woods next month when archery season opens. The only way to get a deer out of the woods with an e-bike is with a trailer. There are quite a few trailers out there depending on your friends needs. I will be going with the Rambo trailer which only weighs 25 pounds and has a 300 pound capacity.

I think the two top brands for hunting specific e-bikes are Quiet Kat and Rambo. Both are pushing 5K dollars when fully accessorized for hunting and you end up with an e-bike that is legally off-road only.

My bike has a 750W hub motor with a 22 amp controller. I have yet to find a hill it could not handle. I think just about any fat tire bike with 500-750W motor would probably work but would need more information on your friend's specific needs to make a recommendation.

Attachments

• Tree Stand.JPG
    Tree Stand.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 684
  • Turkey Blind.JPG
    Turkey Blind.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 626
This review I wrote and shared on another thread might help you. It will be updated soon but the majority of the review is valid and current. And although the Christini AWD is not in my review (I'm still trying to make contact and try it out) I would agree with JRA on that shout out. this review has a lot of helpful info it, not just a list of specs.

Electric Hunting Bikes - A Review

Plus, earlier this year I publish a book on Electric Hunting Bikes available on Amazon, but I've attached the PDF copy here that you can send on to your friend.

Attachments

• Elevate your hunt PDF copy.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 599
A 150-180cc quad would serve his needs better, and for less money.
Not necessarily. I have both and my quad does not go into the woods during hunting season. Some other considerations are:

1. Not every hunter has room to store a quad.
2. Not every hunter has a truck or trailer to transport the quad to the hunting property.
3. Not every hunting property allows quads, but most will allow e-bikes.
4. E-bikes are much less obtrusive to game animals.
5. Most hunters I know of use their e-bikes for a lot more than just hunting.
6. I have a little over 2K invested in my bike and accessories. You don't necessarily need a "hunting specific" e-bike to get the job done.

Last edited:

There are many good suggestions posted here. Keep in mind though, a lot will depend on where your friend hunts. There is a 750 watt limit on federal land as well as hunting land in many states.

a 750 watt motor is the more versatile choice due to the federal land limits and a 750 is also street legal in most states while a 1000 watt motor means you are confined to offroad use only and only on motorized trails. Rambo BIkes have a few models at 750 watt with a mid drive motor that doesn't cost as much as many of the other options out there.
Based on the terrain your friend will be tackling the motor choice (rear hub or mid drive) is important. The more hills there are the more likely a mid drive is the better option.
Since the recent ruling on ebikes on federal land is a new change I'll link to the secretarial order no. 3376 for your reference.

Back