Were You Moving Away From E-Bikes, What Traditional Bicycle Would You Buy?

my 2 cents,would get the lightest up right 8 spd i could afford, was surprised how easy some the low power cheap ebikes could be pedaled without power( step thru as well, not trying to impress anyone-if its steep i just push if i can maintain 12 mph am happy

my 2 cents,would get the lightest up right 8 spd i could afford, was surprised how easy some the low power cheap ebikes could be pedaled without power( step thru as well, not trying to impress anyone-if its steep i just push if i can maintain 12 mph am happy
I often depend on assistance with my Radmission because hills are a little steep at 81 gear inches. My Abound has 7 speeds, but inadequate lubrication in the sealed bearings of the torque-sensor BB left me dependent on assistance. I switched to a conventional BB and now I don't normally call on the motor even on a 16% grade. I guess I'm moving away from e-bikes.

I've always wanted a classic Raleigh Roadster. They may weigh 50 pounds, but weight doesn't matter much unless you're carrying a bike up stairs. Excellent riding position for power, comfort, stability and stamina. Hub transmission that normally turned out 53, 70, and 93 gear inches.

Just announced Priority Gemini with Pinion Smart.Shift in Titanium is super cool (and costs like a top-grade ebike btw)! Would be my choice probably if money not a question as an non-electric bike right now.

GEMINITI_HERO.png

1714538696255.png

Speaking of Ti bikes and promoted as the smallest folder with 24" wheels, I liked the direction where this innovative Canadian built bike was going so much that I pre-purchased a couple of standard units when they were first offered for sale to the public at a reduced price of $1600 US/bike. Unfortunately, I ended up waiting years as the lengthy backlog of Kickstarter bikes was expected to be delivered first. Production delays due to the pandemic, increased cost of Ti and a factory move really set things back. A rear drive e-version will be available but I’m not holding my breath. Peter, the company’s founder and president, has great vision but I’m thinking that the detail and complexity of the Helix construction might have been too ambitious.

As a pre-purchaser (post Kickstarter campaign) I did end up getting a full refund but would have enjoyed to see and ride this bike in the flesh.

That’s a surprisingly reasonable price for a titanium bike, let alone an electric one. Using a carbon bike for everyday tasks and locking it up hasn’t been a great feeling knowing that a chip could total it.
It's not actually electric I think. The battery mentioned is for the Pinion smart shift only.

Just announced Priority Gemini with Pinion Smart.Shift in Titanium is super cool (and costs like a top-grade ebike btw)! Would be my choice probably if money not a question as a ea bikenon-electric bike right now.

View attachment 175021

Beautiful bike, but that gearing has too much of a weight penalty, with the bike 25 pounds. Riding a traditional bike in the 16 pound or less range is such a different and more enjoyable experience than a much heavier bike IMO.

Beautiful bike, but that gearing has too much of a weight penalty, with the bike 25 pounds. Riding a traditional bike in the 16 pound or less range is such a different and more enjoyable experience than a much heavier bike IMO.
It depends on your priorities excuse the pun. If you're not racing that weight's ok. 25lbs for a pinion gear box drop bar bike is pretty cool. I ride a Salsa Vaya steel frame & whole bike with triple chainset is around 27lbs but despite that it's a fairly lively & springy ride and so bloody comfortable. Mind you I do ponder changing up some components to bring that weight down to 25 or under as it's got pretty bomb proof touring wheels on and yeah it would be amazing to try it with lighter wheels. One of these days.

Back