What's your plan for a flat tire 10 miles from home?

I'd imagine that life is so tranquil and peaceful in those places that local law enforcement, not having much to do, would be more than glad if they get a call from you requesting a helpful lift... :)

What makes you think there is cell coverage in any of those places? Two of three of them for sure did not have cell coverage.

I just got tired of searching on line including using the slime calculator that gave me no answer. How much should I use for a 26"X4" fat tire tube?

Maybe ham radio?

Basically any reasonably transportable ham radio rig (like the famous/infamous Motorola MX350) has comparable range and line-of-sight limitations to a cell phone, so unless you can hit a repeater you are again out of luck. There are nowadays more cell towers than repeaters.

Also, very few local police departments have a radio frequency open to the public for requests for assistance. I very much doubt that transmitting on their frequencies would be welcome or appreciated.

There are various satellite transmitters, but their emergency functions are for, well, emergencies. I don't really think a flat tire qualifies, unless you were about to be eaten by a bear if you didn't get out of there... I have used sat phones on some of my adventures, but they are very expensive and have some pretty substantial limitations. It says enough about the topic that I don't use one anymore.

That goes to the final point. All of those places were more than a dozen miles from help. Two of them were several dozen miles from help. Even in the very best imaginable case I would be waiting for at least an hour. It just makes more sense if you are waiting along a lonesome road anyway, you mights as well fix your damned flat and keep riding.

Last edited:
It is always amazing to see the line of bikes at the LBS in for flat tire repairs... with a wait time of 4-5 days! ;)

Forget about the cost and inconvenience for a moment... who wants to be without their favorite bike for a week?

Last edited:
Basically any reasonably transportable ham radio rig (like the famous/infamous Motorola MX350) has comparable range and line-of-sight limitations to a cell phone, so unless you can hit a repeater you are again out of luck. There are nowadays more cell towers than repeaters.

Also, very few local police departments have a radio frequency open to the public for requests for assistance. I very much doubt that transmitting on their frequencies would be welcome or appreciated.

There are various satellite transmitters, but their emergency functions are for, well, emergencies. I don't really think a flat tire qualifies, unless you were about to be eaten by a bear if you didn't get out of there... I have used sat phones on some of my adventures, but they are very expensive and have some pretty substantial limitations. It says enough about the topic that I don't use one anymore.

That goes to the final point. All of those places were more than a dozen miles from help. Two of them were several dozen miles from help. Even in the very best imaginable case I would be waiting for at least an hour. It just makes more sense if you are waiting along a lonesome road anyway, you mights as well fix your damned flat and keep riding.
Agreed. Some people live in civilization though. They should know how to fix it. The question is where to fix it depending on your location,wait time etc. . I have a park less than a half mile from my house. If I get a flat there I'll probably fix it at home. If I'm all the way up the Delaware canal in New Hope, Pa I'll probably fix it there

How do You like that Rockbros bag, I was just looking at the c-16

I like it alot. It fits much better that the Lectric panniers and holds plenty including my beverage in the back. My sons claimed it held quite a bit of adult beverages on their way home from the liquor store this past weekend in the mountains...

I like it alot. It fits much better that the Lectric panniers and holds plenty including my beverage in the back. My sons claimed it held quite a bit of adult beverages on their way home from the liquor store this past weekend in the mountain
well that's good to know, probably not for my son though as he's only 13. At least I hope not.....

I just got tired of searching on line including using the slime calculator that gave me no answer. How much should I use for a 26"X4" fat tire tube?
I'm sure there are threads out here specific to the subject but I was curious also if anyone has had any experience or luck with the slime tubes. My concern with changing it out on the road isn't with my ability to do so it's the idea of flipping the bike over upside down. I'm going to be using it for commuting occasionally so I figure my handlebars will have the LCD display, brake handles and hydraulic lines, my cell phone mount, and maybe even a mirror. So flipping it over seems like a good way to damage some of that stuff, I would imagine some would even have to be removed, like the mirror. I'm going to bring a spare tube and tools just in case but because of my previously stated reasons I'd rather make it home and do it there if possible

I'm sure there are threads out here specific to the subject but I was curious also if anyone has had any experience or luck with the slime tubes. My concern with changing it out on the road isn't with my ability to do so it's the idea of flipping the bike over upside down. I'm going to be using it for commuting occasionally so I figure my handlebars will have the LCD display, brake handles and hydraulic lines, my cell phone mount, and maybe even a mirror. So flipping it over seems like a good way to damage some of that stuff, I would imagine some would even have to be removed, like the mirror. I'm going to bring a spare tube and tools just in case but because of my previously stated reasons I'd rather make it home and do it there if possible

Good luck changing a rear flat on a Lectric on the road...

Slime tubes basically work, but you need to be cognizant of their limitations:
  • If you expect to "run flat" through a lumberyard you will be seriously disappointed. If you expect to be able to pump up a flat a limp a mile or so home or to a better spot to fix the flat you will likely be pleased.
  • The sealant degrades over time. If you have a flat early in the life of the tube you will likely be very impressed. You will not be so impressed if the tube has been on the bike for two years. I'd recommend replacing slime tubes at least once a year.
  • The tubes are thicker, which is good because that makes them more puncture-resistant, and bad because it makes them heavier.
  • Over time the sealant inevitably clogs up the valve. This can make it difficult to impossible to add or remove air from the tube.
  • Patching a slime tube is a little more complicated. You need to bring some alcohol cleaning wipes to clean up the latex to get the patch to stick. While I've patched Slime tubes, I've never felt very confident in the patches and I didn't use the tubes any longer than I had to.
So it is kind of up to you and you ought to try them and see what you think. From my standpoint, there are lots of dials on the tire/tube machine and you ought to consider the whole problem holistically. As you have pointed out, we are all different and will come to different solutions.

For myself, I purchase spendy high-end e-mtb rated tires with puncture protection built in. I purchase decent inner tubes. I fussily check tire pressure before every ride and often multiple times during the day. I aggressively replace my tires about every 1500 miles. That has worked well for me, and I seem to get about 2000 miles of riding between flats on average.

As for flipping the bike over, if you carry a windbreaker or a rain jacket that will be plenty to pad the handlebars and display when you flip the bike over. The trick is to wrap the handlebars with the windbreaker before you flip.

General information.

In my kit I always carry a pump, very small, but fatter than many so it can deliver decent volume to my MTB tires. I like that it has a hose as opposed to directly fitting onto the valve stem. Allows a little movement during the pumping, you don't have to carefully hold the head of the pump stationary on the valve. Works on Schrader and Presta valves.

There are a lot of great pumps, this is just one.

When I go on longer or remote rides I carry a CO2 inflator, in addition to the pump. The inflator is reusable and the inexpensive cartridges can be thrown in the recycling bin. The inflator is about the size and weight of a key fob, so easy to carry.

CO2 has drawbacks though. You can air up on the road/trail quick and be on your way fast with little effort, but you need to remember to replace the air with a pump, or you could find your tire mostly flat the next day. Some riders, unaware of this, think they did a poor repair will tear everything apart again, when it was only the CO2.

• If you expect to "run flat" through a lumberyard you will be seriously disappointed. If you expect to be able to pump up a flat a limp a mile or so home or to a better spot to fix the flat you will likely be pleased.
  • The sealant degrades over time. If you have a flat early in the life of the tube you will likely be very impressed. You will not be so impressed if the tube has been on the bike for two years. I'd recommend replacing slime tubes at least once a year.
  • The tubes are thicker, which is good because that makes them more puncture-resistant, and bad because it makes them heavier.
  • Over time the sealant inevitably clogs up the valve. This can make it difficult to impossible to add or remove air from the tube.
  • Patching a slime tube is a little more complicated. You need to bring some alcohol cleaning wipes to clean up the latex to get the patch to stick. While I've patched Slime tubes, I've never felt very confident in the patches and I didn't use the tubes any longer than I had to.
So it is kind of up to you and you ought to try them and see what you think. From my standpoint, there are lots of dials on the tire/tube machine and you ought to consider the whole problem holistically. As you have pointed out, we are all different and will come to different solutions.

For myself, I purchase spendy high-end e-mtb rated tires with puncture protection built in. I purchase decent inner tubes. I fussily check tire pressure before every ride and often multiple times during the day. I aggressively replace my tires about every 1500 miles. That has worked well for me, and I seem to get about 2000 miles of riding between flats on average.

As for flipping the bike over, if you carry a windbreaker or a rain jacket that will be plenty to pad the handlebars and display when you flip the bike over. The trick is to wrap the handlebars with the windbreaker before you flip.

Or use these:

Yeah I was wondering about the slime and the valve and how it doesn't clog it. I figure I'll just bring whatever I need to change or patch the tube and I'll see how long the originals last before I get a flat or how often I get one. If it's more frequent then I would like maybe I'll swap for the slime tubes or just wait until I replace them. No I want to view them as making me impervious and able to run anything over, I would still try to avoid hazards, I just would like them for what you said being able to limp home or somewhere better to change it. I figure where the mini pump on board most punctures would allow that.

There may be but I couldn't find one. I did find a video on line showing a slime application in a fat tire bike and that guy sad 8 ounces per tire so I guess that's what I'll try when my new tube arrives. They don't sell a 4" pre slimed tube so that was not an option. I do have a set of handle bar jacks so will use those when I make the repair.

Back