What's your plan for a flat tire 10 miles from home?

The Fix-a-Flat can has the pressure to pump the tire up and you don't need a pump....

I've never seen a can of Fix-a-Flat that works with a Presta Valve.

I also don't know what you do when you have a stubborn leak that needs more than one can of Fix-a-Flat. But if you have a pump you can pump up your tire as many times as you need to get home. For that matter, if you have a mile or two of muddy or sandy riding it is very convenient to let some air out and then pump up the tires when you're back on solid ground.

Although I really don't understand this thread, because I don't find fixing a flat very difficult. And I am not at all mechanically inclined.

I also don't know what you do when you have a stubborn leak that needs more than one can of Fix-a-Flat. But if you have a pump you can pump up your tire as many times as you need to get home. For that matter, if you have a mile or two of muddy or sandy riding it is very convenient to let some air out and then pump up the tires when you're back on solid ground.

Although I really don't understand this thread, because I don't find fixing a flat very difficult. And I am not at all mechanically inclined.
I guess the idea is with a rear hub motor it'd be easier at home and there'd be less of a need to carry as many tools.
I am mechanically inclined but would still like to read different options that might work for different people in different situations and locations.

I guess the idea is with a rear hub motor it'd be easier at home and there'd be less of a need to carry as many tools.
I am mechanically inclined but would still like to read different options that might work for different people in different situations and locations.

Kind of depends on the rear hub motor. I started on a Pedego Interceptor where a certain amount of trickery was involved, more about the bunch of torque washers that had to go back in the right place than the power cable of the motor. If you practice at home you should be able to work it out, and if you've practiced a bit it won't be that hard out on the road.

In any event, you can always fix a flat Dutch Style, where you don't remove the rear wheel (see below).

Where I live, cell coverage is spotty and Uber is not present. Since many people travel to other places to ride their e-bikes, I consider it beyond reckless to depend on such things to get yourself out of a jam, especially a jam that a mildly competent 12-year-old could get herself out of. Also, if you ride on rail-trails a lot you can easily find yourself in situations where you will be forced to walk your bike for a couple of miles to get picked up, and as far as I'm concerned I'd rather just fix the damned flat than do that.

There are also a huge number of threads on what tools you ought to carry with you on every ride, but at a minimum:

• Good multi-tool
  • Tire levers
  • Patch kit
  • Pump or CO2

I also don't know what you do when you have a stubborn leak that needs more than one can of Fix-a-Flat. But if you have a pump you can pump up your tire as many times as you need to get home.
For that matter, if you have a mile or two of muddy or sandy riding it is very convenient to let some air out and then pump up the tires when you're back on solid ground.

You can use a Presta valve adapter for any aerosol sealant... no adapter is needed for GUP or Vittoria.

Fixing a flat is not difficult and I always carry a pump and patches, but sealant is much faster... YMMV ;)

1597197361281.png

Last edited:
So you bring a bucket of water with you ?.....
What's a bucket of water for? To find a leak? Water can be nice but it's not at all necessary. Asking whether one carries a bucket of water makes me think that what you know about fixing flats is totally in your imagination.

After at time or two in real life, I think just about anyone would be much more open minded about fixing a flat on the trail. It simply isn't that big a deal. The tools and supplies needed will fit in an under-seat bag. It is a bit of a chore. So is fixing dinner or making a bed. Fixing a flat isn't much more difficult, just a little different. You might get your hands dirty. Of course you might get your hands, and carpet, dirty if you fix the flat in your living room. If I squint real hard I can probably imagine a scenario where I wouldn't want to just fix a flat where it happened.

I realize it takes all kinds of people, and that's great but I think most people who don't want to fix a flat probably have never done it. They may be intimidated by tools, I don't know....

TT

If I get a flat tire on my Creo, then I just change the tube and go on my way. If I get a flat on my Juiced CCS, then I'm probably jumping on a bus and putting my bike on the front bike rack.

Hey baby, Triple A, all the way.

Included free as part of Markel Insurance Policy.

Proof that it works, can be seen here... ;) (from one of my savvy customers)
TripleAforEbikes.jpg

What's a bucket of water for? To find a leak? Water can be nice but it's not at all necessary. Asking whether one carries a bucket of water makes me think that what you know about fixing flats is totally in your imagination.

After at time or two in real life, I think just about anyone would be much more open minded about fixing a flat on the trail. It simply isn't that big a deal. The tools and supplies needed will fit in an under-seat bag. It is a bit of a chore. So is fixing dinner or making a bed. Fixing a flat isn't much more difficult, just a little different. You might get your hands dirty. Of course you might get your hands, and carpet, dirty if you fix the flat in your living room. If I squint real hard I can probably imagine a scenario where I wouldn't want to just fix a flat where it happened.

I realize it takes all kinds of people, and that's great but I think most people who don't want to fix a flat probably have never done it. They may be intimidated by tools, I don't know....

TT
Nobody's saying that they wouldn't fix it, I'll likely bring a spare tube and everything I need , but the point was location and ease of repair. If it's not a rapid leak I'll probably just pump it up and ride home .It's not that serious a thread and not a mandatory read btw but I realize the human need for feelings of superiority. The bucket comment was sarcasm as one was in the video.
I know how to fix a flat on a bike, I've rebuilt engines, rewired and replaced all the plumbing in my house etc ..
I'm currently checking out multi-tools and multi-tool kits. Probably going to order a few tubes when I do it and a mini pump. I like the idea that I can do it out on the road if needed but if I'm close enough to home and it won't hold air I would rather just call up a buddy with a pickup truck who's nearby and throw it in the back then take the wheel off and do it at home. I would prefer that to Dutch style by the side of the road.

Last edited:
Please explain to me how AAA or Uber is going to help me in the following places:

View attachment 62086

Pipe Creek Road, MT

View attachment 62088

Basket Mountain Road, OR

View attachment 62089

Sweetgrass Butte, WA

All of you city people, heesh!
I think the point is that people are saying what they are going to do in their situation, this is where you can say what you are going to do. The idea is there are different ideas and viewpoints and people can pick and choose what works for them in a given situation. I plan on carrying a saddlebag with a good multi-tool, a spare tube, either CO2 or a mini pump, some patches in there etc in case I need it. But if I get a flat in my rear tire I would imagine no matter how I repair it it would be easier with the wheel off of the ground. I would prefer to not flip my bike over upside down onto the handlebars seeing that there's an expensive controller and hydraulic brakes on there. So if I'm a few miles from home in the suburbs and I have 10 friends that own pickup trucks that would swing by and grab me and give me a ride home I would rather change it at home up on a bike stand. It's also interesting to see which people have had success, or not, with products like fix a flat or slime. I don't think anybody's saying one fix is right for everyone and everywhere

I think the point is that people are saying what they are going to do in their situation, this is where you can say what you are going to do. The idea is there are different ideas and viewpoints and people can pick and choose what works for them in a given situation. I plan on carrying a saddlebag with a good multi-tool, a spare tube, either CO2 or a mini pump, some patches in there etc in case I need it. But if I get a flat in my rear tire I would imagine no matter how I repair it it would be easier with the wheel off of the ground. I would prefer to not flip my bike over upside down onto the handlebars seeing that there's an expensive controller and hydraulic brakes on there. So if I'm a few miles from home in the suburbs and I have 10 friends that own pickup trucks that would swing by and grab me and give me a ride home I would rather change it at home up on a bike stand. It's also interesting to see which people have had success, or not, with products like fix a flat or slime. I don't think anybody's saying one fix is right for everyone and everywhere

I understand and respect your point of view there.

On the other hand, I have a hard time understanding what is being optimized in this thread. 99 percent of the time you can easily pull off the wheel, remove the tube, replace the tube, reinstall the wheel, and pump up the tire in 15 minutes. Faster if you are using CO2. Dutch style takes a bit longer (if you have a hard-to-find puncture it can take quite a bit longer). Can your friend really get to you reliably in less than 15 minutes? And I know that AAA takes much longer than 15 minutes. If you are waiting alongside the road anyway why not just fix the damned tire and return home under your own power?

Well I've changed flats before but I can't remember the last time I changed one out in the road and I've never changed one with a electric hub in the rear wheel although I imagine that doesn't change things too much. If you're going to remove the wheel then it helpful to get it off the ground? Again I haven't laid eyes on the bike other than online but if you have hydraulic brake lines and a LCD controller isn't it somewhat likely they could get damaged? In my situation it is pretty likely that somebody could get to me within 15 minutes and even if it takes an extra 5 or 10 it might be worth it to me depending on where I'm at. I'm in the suburbs not out in a rural area although I might ride out the little further with this bike. I would be more likely to remove the wheel and replace the tube rather than look for the leak Dutch style and patch it. Also some people might get a flat alongside a busy road where it's not really safe to change it and where an Uber can be there in less than 5 minutes. For shits and giggles I just checked and there are 3 Ubers within 3 miles if my house right now.

I believe some are trying to give others confidence in explaining just how easy it is to fix a flat tire. The title of the thread gives me impression it's a situation where the rider needs to resolve the issue without help. I ride in areas where there's no cell coverage sometimes and it can be a long way from a friend, a hundred miles from a friend. Being ready and able to repair most issues offers peace of mind. I might be more anal retentive than most though.

We often see people new to ebikes post concerns about this issue. It really is one of those things many of us learned as children. As the old saying goes, it's just like riding a bike;) You might have to carry something specific to the bike in question. The wheel might weigh a little more depending on the drive. And there are electronics and possibly hydraulic brakes on the handlebars to be careful of, if turning the bike upside down. It really isn't difficult though.

I've encouraged new owners in the past to do a test in the comfort of their driveway. I usually rotate my tires, once or twice a year. This makes a perfect test to successfully do a puncture repair except for the patch. The patching can be eliminated by carrying a new tube. Take the front tire and tube off the front rim and install on the rear rim, and vise-versa. This will help a new owner get familiar with their bike, instills confidence and is good practice for when you need new tires.

I believe some are trying to give others confidence in explaining just how easy it is to fix a flat tire. The title of the thread gives me impression it's a situation where the rider needs to resolve the issue without help. I ride in areas where there's no cell coverage sometimes and it can be a long way from a friend, a hundred miles from a friend. Being ready and able to repair most issues offers peace of mind. I might be more anal retentive than most though.

We often see people new to ebikes post concerns about this issue. It really is one of those things many of us learned as children. As the old saying goes, it's just like riding a bike;) You might have to carry something specific to the bike in question. The wheel might weigh a little more depending on the drive. And there are electronics and possibly hydraulic brakes on the handlebars to be careful of, if turning the bike upside down. It really isn't difficult though.

I've encouraged new owners in the past to do a test in the comfort of their driveway. I usually rotate my tires, once or twice a year. This makes a perfect test to successfully do a puncture repair except for the patch. The patching can be eliminated by carrying a new tube. Take the front tire and tube off the front rim and install on the rear rim, and vise-versa. This will help a new owner get familiar with their bike, instills confidence and is good practice for when you need new tires.
I get that, I believe in practicing and being prepared. I'm just saying if I'm 2 miles from home I'll have my wife pick me up and do it on my bike stand at home rather than worry about the electronics and hydraulic brakes.

I get that, I believe in practicing and being prepared. I'm just saying if I'm 2 miles from home I'll have my wife pick me up and do it on my bike stand at home rather than worry about the electronics and hydraulic brakes.
I wasn't specifically speaking to your circumstance. People handle it in very different ways. There's no wrong way. The differences seem to directly relate to where people ride. Not necessarily ability. The issue of hub motor tire change has been blown out of proportion by reviewers and in articles, then gets repeated on forums. It seems to have a life of it's own now and it would be a shame if it scared people away from ebikes or long rides.

You are assuming that you are always in cell range and your mechanicals all occur somewhere where AAA can easily and safely get to you.

If for whatever reason, my Rock Bros bag on the back of my XP has a pump, patch kit, tools and one of these:

Back