What's your plan for a flat tire 10 miles from home?

This is so crazy how much stuff you have to carry for tubes. This is a great reminder I am so glad I switched to tubeless and I don't own a car my ebike is my primary form of transportation and I'm in Colorado I go off road and through the trails and wherever I use it for everything I don't rely on public transportation anymore it's my full time commuter.
It does sound like a lot of gear but it really only takes up a small amount of space and doesn't add too much weight to the bike. Also, most of what I carry in terms of tools is for overall general bike repairs, including adjusting seat posts and saddle, fixing a chain, handlebars, shoe clips, and basically fixing anything else on the bike short of a complete component failure. I do like long rides and am often far from home and immediate help and so being able to fix or patch pretty much anything that can happen with the bike is important to me.

It does sound like a lot of gear but it really only takes up a small amount of space and doesn't add too much weight to the bike. Also, most of what I carry in terms of tools is for overall general bike repairs, including adjusting seat posts and saddle, fixing a chain, handlebars, shoe clips, and basically fixing anything else on the bike short of a complete component failure. I do like long rides and am often far from home and immediate help and so being able to fix or patch pretty much anything that can happen with the bike is important to me.

Interesting I also go on long rides with my 52v 19.2 ah because it's my primary commuter since 1.5 yrs I go far enough to come back with a couple bars remaining pretty regularly. I have to be near 7500 miles by now. First year I did 5000. I would go farther if I had more range. I have never had to use any of that stuff on a ride but I did snap a chain two times but the throttle brought me back home. However everybody and every bike is different and if that helps you then more power to you. Personally I've been worry free except for the first initial hickups.

Interesting I also go on long rides with my 52v 19.2 ah because it's my primary commuter since 1.5 yrs I go far enough to come back with a couple bars remaining pretty regularly. I have to be near 7500 miles by now. First year I did 5000. I would go farther if I had more range. I have never had to use any of that stuff on a ride but I did snap a chain two times but the throttle brought me back home.
Ah yes, my bike is pedal assist only and doesn't use a throttle and a chain break would be a must-fix for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 346
Good list. I also carry a 6” crescent wrench, just in case. Not sure if it even opens up to 18 mm to work on the axle nut, or if I could force the nut loose with it.....I just better carry the 18mm box end wrench with me! The crescent could loosen the nut on the clamp bolted to the torque arm, if the philips screwdriver won’t break it loose. Most of the fasteners on my bike have allen heads, so a small crescent isn’t needed much.
If you drive Juice, you'll need the 18mm open-face to remove the rear tire..... or have a plan that doesn't involve removing the tire (patch, spray-goo, etc.).

I guess I'm #3 on the list.

I lock the bike up, Uber home, and come back for it in my vehicle. Or if my partner is around, I'd have her come pick me up.

I need to get around to learning how to repair flats though. Not even for the money savings, just so that I don't need to go to the bike shop every time I have a slow leak or a flat.

This flat came within 10 miles of the end of a 174 mile, 3 day tour in eastern Oregon where I was ~250 miles from home. The hole in the tube was so small I couldn't find it until I got home and was able to immerse the tube in water. I don't need to use tire irons, I do bring a bike multitool that has a chain breaker. If my chain broke I would just remove the broken links and put it back together then use the smaller gears with the shortened chain. Many times (on other bikes) I've taken a chain off with a breaker and replaced it without using a master link and never had a problem, I assume this isn't recommended though? Small roll of 1" Gorilla tape, couple rubber gloves, patch kit, small bottle of Purell all fit in seat bag. I also carry a small pump.

DSCF0743.JPG

Well its a ebike, which means I would never be riding it where there is no bus/cab/cell service. If my bike gets a flat, I lock it up, bus/uber home and drive back to pickup the bike (got a bikerack on my car) whole process shouldn't take longer than an hour and requires no planning

For non ebike, I carry a spare tube and tire lever so I can change it out. Otherwise same deal, it's only 10 miles so an uber is not too expensive

This is exactly what I was going to say AAA tells you very clearly they will not go in the middle of nowhere meaning if you were stuck on a trail somewhere and there's no access to roads they are not coming to get you. I forget where it's mentioned though but I remember seeing it. Might be when you go to request a pickup.

Also be potentially prepared to wait for a long time for them to arrive. I was waiting on the side of the road they told me it would be 45 min but in my case was, I believe closer to 2 hours. They had to go back on the way to pick me up to get the right truck with the bike hitch because not all their trucks have it. If they could have just told me it would have been that long I could have rested inside a restaurant but the whole time they were saying they are on the way even on the app it was showing them coming in my direction so I waited outside in the heat the entire time.
Yeah, the AAA thing is for those who ride urban on bike paths like I do. But again, if you have an electrical issue far from home, the AAA thing can come in handy.

Yeah, the AAA thing is for those who ride urban on bike paths like I do. But again, if you have an electrical issue far from home, the AAA thing can come in handy.

Also a good thing to know about AAA is you can literally sign up the day you need them and possibly even get a special offer or 7 day trial or something. Ever since I went tubeless I have eliminated all my issues with flats so last year had no use for AAA so cancelled it since I paid for the entire year for nothing. However I know from experience breaking down in a car sometime ago and didn't have AAA and needed my car tower and just called them and signed up for the free trial and got my car towed. Only had to pay the tow truck driver, AAA didn't charge me anything at that point.

Well its a ebike, which means I would never be riding it where there is no bus/cab/cell service. If my bike gets a flat, I lock it up, bus/uber home and drive back to pickup the bike (got a bikerack on my car) whole process shouldn't take longer than an hour and requires no planning

For non ebike, I carry a spare tube and tire lever so I can change it out. Otherwise same deal, it's only 10 miles so an uber is not too expensive
I can't sing and know not to even try, but fixing a flat seems easy to me. I guess it's good to know your limitations as well as your talents. I don't get the idea of never riding where there is no bus/cab/cell service though. Roughly 90% of my riding is totally inaccessible to buses and ubers.

And fixing a flat on the front wheel of an ebike is the same thing a fixing a flat on a non-ebike. The difference with the back tire is you need an open ended 18 mm wrench.

TT

I can't sing and know not to even try, but fixing a flat seems easy to me. I guess it's good to know your limitations as well as your talents. I don't get the idea of never riding where there is no bus/cab/cell service though. Roughly 90% of my riding is totally inaccessible to buses and ubers.

TT

Obviously depends on your location. I can go off road and through the trails far from people and cars all I want here in Colorado but it was definitely not the same experience when I took my ebike to the suburbs of Dallas when I was visiting family for the holidays. There was no where to go but literally in circles in my parents neighborhood and residential streets. So boring not even taking my bike back to Dallas next time.

Back