What are your cold weather ebike limits?

Weather forecast for Mazovia, Poland.
1610984260065.png

It won't be warm soon. Yet, it looks the harsh winter is over here (starting from Tuesday, 4 p.m.)

I've been riding all fall and winter between 28 and 45 degrees, no issues with the bike (2020 Specialized Vado 4) at all...until today...
17 degree when I left home, 7 miles of dirt and snow (no issues, I'm running studded tires) roads later, stopped for a pic and a sip of coffee. 1/2 mile later headed fast down a bumpy section of dirt road, and I noticed the battery had worked it's way slightly ajar. The battery install mechanism of this bike is easily it's biggest problem.
Took it out, reseated and locked it, the display just kept saying NO BATTERY and when I tried pedalling, NO MOTOR. Lights indicated at least 60% battery left, and my BLevo App indicated only 20% used and Battery and Motor minimum temps in the mid 30's, averages in the 50's.
Walked and eventually called my lovely wife how came and picked me up.
So I may have exceeded the operating threshold of the bike, or I may simply have broken the battery connection system. I am charging the battery now and will try reconnecting when everything has warmed up.
Update: after warming and fully charging, cleaning contacts etc, all I get is an alternating No Motor/No Battery message on the display. The display is making connection to the battery as it powers on, but no response from the power system. Too it to the dealer I bought it from and they looked at it for a while, said they saw nothing obvious, and would work with Specialized this week. More as this saga unfolds
My bike shop contacted Specialized, they are sending a new battery and the 'nest' it sits in, and the shop is going to adjust the locking mechanism, hopefully that will resolve the issue.
Less than 2 weeks from issue to replacement parts, that's pretty darn good!
Great service by the folks at my local shop.

Are there any tire restrictions for winter? Thanks
Not sure what you mean by restrictions. Depends on the surface you are riding on. Ice needs studs, snow needs wide and lower pressures, and in general there is more sand, dirt on roads in the winter, so need to be aware of that.
If you are above 0 C then most summer tires with a bit of tread should be fine.

It Had To Be A Subliminal Stimulus...

I use to watch few sports on my TV, one of them being ski-jumping (the other is snooker). When I went shopping online for very warm, waterproof and breathable clothing, I found the 4F brand. I have just realised 4F was a successful Polish sports clothing brand :) I must have seen their logo on the suits of Polish ski-jumpers on the telly...

1611124618847.png

Snowboarding pants.

1611124663447.png

Snowboarding jacket.

1611124702859.png

4F Tech Guide.

1611124770341.png

Membrane parameters.

I was positively shocked with the windproof quality and warmth of this suit, especially tested at windy -14 C :) These clothes seem to be sufficient to be just worn over the base layer to ride at 0 C conditions!

40? thats average here in portland or. if there is no ice or snow on the roads I ride. but its been years since it has been below 30 here when I ride.
Here in western WA, the buds are starting to open on the rose bush out front. Though rare, only
ice stops me from riding. Even then, I have my stationary bike. Thing stopping me today is sore
need of some break pads. I´ve let this go too long.

A buddy lent me a snowmobile helmet to try for winter riding.
But I couldn’t hear my surroundings and deemed it unsafe.

We're kind of in a heatwave here in the Bay Area. About 70 yesterday and continues for the next few days before cool down to 64 by the weekend.

Riders are out in force taking advantage of clear blue skies and plenty of sunshine.

Seeing more ebikes than I ever have, so the ebike movement is going strong.

Irony is that I don't see folks relying on throttle only. Even if an ebike, riders are choosing to use human power to propel their ebikes with PAS I presume.

My winter e-biking limit occurs when the rainwater reaches my axles. We had two days of sunshine
last month bringing the monthly average since Nov. up to two days. S´posed ta stop raining by noon today:
I´m ecstatic! I´m expecting a moment of blue sky any week now. They say it´ll get up to 50 on Thursday,
T-shirt & shorts, oh boy! I can parade my white translucent legs; blind cave fish got nothin´ on me.🤪

Irony is that I don't see folks relying on throttle only. Even if an ebike, riders are choosing to use human power to propel their ebikes with PAS I presume.
A lot of e-bikes don't have throttles. It's possible that many people may just be ghost pedaling or otherwise putting minimal effort into pedaling. Hard to know - it varies. Some people like me want to get a lot of exercise, even on an e-bike.

Looking forward to 70+ weather to get the shorts out.

Back