What are your cold weather ebike limits?

PICT0130.JPG
I won't be buffing that out. Glasses and the helmet visor sure helped.

I won't be buffing that out. Glasses and the helmet visor sure helped.
Ouch! I wonder is wearing goggles would have helped or added to the harm. (I'm so glad I have the spiked tyres on my Vado now...)

Besides... What do you people think of snowboarding clothes (such as jackets or pants) in the context of e-biking during a frosty winter?

Besides... What do you people think of snowboarding clothes (such as jackets or pants) in the context of e-biking during a frosty winter?
I think theyd be ideal if it’s cold and wet enough to otherwise justify them.

Do they give you the flexibility to pedal and so forth? That’s the only concern I can think of.

If you’re cycling fashion conscious I wouldn’t worry about the snobs. Anyone outside riding in conditions that would justify snowboarding clothes will be jealous.

Do they give you the flexibility to pedal and so forth? That’s the only concern I can think of.
I think these clothes are comfortable. I think of using them for waterproof, breathable and warmth qualities. The point is, the clothing marketed as "winter cycling" seems to be designed around "nobody would actually be riding during real winter weather" principle :rolleyes:

I think these clothes are comfortable. I think of using them for waterproof, breathable and warmth qualities. The point is, the clothing marketed as "winter cycling" seems to be designed around "nobody would actually be riding during real winter weather" principle :rolleyes:
I suspect that’s the case. I live in Northern Virginia where six inches of snow is called “snowmageddon”. The folks further south probably can‘t say “six inches of snow“. It gets cold here (25F this AM) and in my old age I’ve become a bit of a cold weather wimp so I won’t ride below 40F and really below 45F. Thermal base layers from Uniqlo do the job pretty well.

You have real winter, so you have to dress accordingly.

As someone once said, there no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Not really true, but the point is valid.

I suspect that’s the case. I live in Northern Virginia where six inches of snow is called “snowmageddon”. The folks further south probably can‘t say “six inches of snow“. It gets cold here (25F this AM) and in my old age I’ve become a bit of a cold weather wimp so I won’t ride below 40F and really below 45F. Thermal base layers from Uniqlo do the job pretty well.

You have real winter, so you have to dress accordingly.

As someone once said, there no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Not really true, but the point is valid.
I have a fat tire bike , Wearing snowmobile Bibs and leather Snow Mobile jacket . Actually get to warm . Once going you can wear pretty light clothes . I am in Northern West Michigan . Along the LakeShore : Dunes etc to ride in . Obviously my fat tire is non Electric .

mid 30's F. Liner, base layer, windproof workout pants below, T-shirt, base layer, zip sweater, wind proof nylon jacket top, cycling balaclava, long socks and windproof hiking boots. Winter riding gloves or winter riding lobster gloves. Usually opening up the jacket and sweater about 5 miles after departing. No snow or ice here fortunately.

I wear a skiing jacket on the coldest of days(below 40F). Its actually a ice-climbing jacket/shell (mode for upper body mobility). Its a very light nicely sealed goretex jacket with no insulation, lots of venting.

I would prefer a more cycling oriented jacket like pearl izumi. While they are $$$ I dont have any pearl izumi products I dont absolutely love, all are very lightweight, super comfy and warm for what they are and I understand the sizing which can be hard to figure out for many cycling brands. Have to wait for the next sale.

For outer shell pants, I love these. Very versatile (I needed a 3-XL size for a size 36 waist)
https://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Wi...rds=4ucycling&qid=1610639449&s=apparel&sr=1-5

This helmet is super warm (especially for the ears). It gets too hot for anything hotter than 40F.
https://www.giro.com/p/timberwolf-winter-helmet/100000000500000055.html

Last edited:
While cycling a couple of days ago, there were a few cyclists dressed extremely inappropriately for the weather.

Yes it was mild, maybe as warm as +5C , but shorts and a light sweater wouldn't have dealt with the wind blowing over the snow very well. I had 4 lighter layers on my torso, and cycling tights on, and when hitting the higher speeds, in the shade, I needed all those layers!

Aah, to be young and bulletproof again...

Just to let you know, I received Alpenheat electrically heated insoles. The remote looks exactly as the one that came with my heated socks (from Glovii), only logos on the backside are different... I'm going to try that combination soon as we finally experience frost here!

Just to let you know, I received Alpenheat electrically heated insoles. The remote looks exactly as the one that came with my heated socks (from Glovii), only logos on the backside are different... I'm going to try that combination soon as we finally experience frost here!
Are those battery powered or do you run them off the ebike battery? Curious because I installed an Anderson tap last summer to power my lights and I now have a spare 36v DC jack I have blanked off. I was wondering if it was possible to possibly use red/black pigtails to somehow wire in a scooter or ATV power harness to run heated accessories?

Are those battery powered or do you run them off the ebike battery? Curious because I installed an Anderson tap last summer to power my lights and I now have a spare 36v DC jack I have blanked off. I was wondering if it was possible to possibly use red/black pigtails to somehow wire in a scooter or ATV power harness to run heated accessories?
It is powered from built-in batteries.

1610722305640.png

The more it snows (Tiddely pom)
The more it goes (Tiddely pom)
On snowing
And nobody knows (Tiddely pom)
How cold my toes (Tiddely pom)
Are growing.

1610723029074.png

It's snowing.

1610723092459.png

The centre of the road covered with ice. No issue for studded tyres at all.

Last edited:
There was a very noticeable resistance/friction from our Bosch gen 2 performance and performance cx motors when out riding today at -20c (-4F). The batteries are stored inside at room temperature but the bikes are kept outside. I am not sure what caused this resistance (perhaps the grease in the bearings solidifying?) but it did not feel very healthy for the motors. Of course at these temperatures the fingers and any exposed skin also gets cold fairly quickly.

Attachments

• 20210115_143531.jpg
    20210115_143531.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 260
Back