What are your plans for winter exercise? Keep riding your ebike or an exercise bike?

It’s blizzardy, very windy and cold. Not gonna try it till it stops some time tomorrow. I had shoveled the driveway and cleaned off the truck about an hour before this pic was taken.

Attachments

• D3499D4D-E816-4F5F-9432-CE6B153D808C.jpeg
    D3499D4D-E816-4F5F-9432-CE6B153D808C.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 222
Buy heated socks as well as shoe covers 😊
I´ve got special water shoes, just too lazy to find ´em. Today got a flat, luckily only 1 1/2 mi. from home. There were a three hills involved,
bin worse. Ah the joy of cycling! Mighta fixed it enroute, but too cold & not enuff light.🤬 There are so many blackberry thorns littering
the area it´s just damn inevitable! Sweeping the bike lanes twice a day mighty possibly help, but doubtful.

My e-ride is still in winter storage so I continue to ride my exercise bike. Problem is it doesn’t remain stationary for very long. ;)
View attachment 75373
Looks like another you have a nicely preserved Trek Antelop... my 830 is blue with purple graphics. ;)
It was one of the first Trek mountain bikes produced with a fully rigid CroMo frame and oval chainring.

1609440829476.png

Last edited:
Looks like another nicely preserved Trek Antelop... mine was blue with purple graphics. ;)
Call me Mr. Sentimental but I don’t know if I'll ever have the heart to part with my 970. However, after several seasons biking over rough winter terrain on a steel rigid it's beginning to wear on me. Case in point, on my ride today a fat tire biker was riding his fully suspended machine 10ft away along the forested singletrack in a seemingly effortless flow. Meanwhile, I was focused on picking the right line and dodging around the snow cratered hard pack beneath me. But...every time I hop in the saddle, I am constantly reminded at how reliable and remarkably well built this 30 + year old bike is and that it has never failed me yet. Plus it’s still a blast to ride! :p

Last edited:
I hate stationary bikes, get bored so easily and not motivated. I gear up for the cold and get out for a ride almost every day. Luckily in California, we have that luxury. Most states do not.
I´ve 40K+ on my Schwinn stationary made in the 50s, no telling how many times it turned over b4 I got it. I´m not especially fond of it, but it´s
the only way I can maintain mileage during torrential downpours. I can´t make a ride around here without seeing someone´s discarded treadmill
or stat bike put out on the street. I´ve even seen Nordic tracs & Bowflexs, I can´t image paying that kinda money only to discover you hate
the damn thing, A couple machines have been sitting there for months, 3rd hand, unattractive lawn sculptures. I paid $50 for mine which is at least
mostly a real bike that goes nowhere. The wife found some poor chump to take her treadmill for $100.😜

I´ve 40K+ on my Schwinn stationary made in the 50s, no telling how many times it turned over b4 I got it. I´m not especially fond of it, but it´s
the only way I can maintain mileage during torrential downpours. I can´t make a ride around here without seeing someone´s discarded treadmill
or stat bike put out on the street. I´ve even seen Nordic tracs & Bowflexs, I can´t image paying that kinda money only to discover you hate
the damn thing, A couple machines have been sitting there for months, 3rd hand, unattractive lawn sculptures. I paid $50 for mine which is at least
mostly a real bike that goes nowhere. The wife found some poor chump to take her treadmill for $100.😜
I had both a Nordic Trac skier and their version of a bow flex in my basement. Gave them away when I moved since they were tied with my 2nd TV (never hooked up) for the least number of hours of use over the years. Still have a weight bench and weights somewhere downstairs, still not unpacked 20 years later ... :rolleyes:

To break the boredom while riding my Nordictrac stationary bike, I bought a GoPro camera and made video while riding my favorite trails. Playing them on a big screen TV goes a long way toward making the riding sessions bearable.

We have a 20 yr old True treadmill in the basement which my wife still uses. I rarely do but will still pull out my Speedstroke Ergometer every spring when paddling season starts up.
PA200980.JPG

I had both a Nordic Trac skier and their version of a bow flex in my basement. Gave them away when I moved since they were tied with my 2nd TV (never hooked up) for the least number of hours of use over the years. Still have a weight bench and weights somewhere downstairs, still not unpacked 20 years later ... :rolleyes:
No machine will ever be a substitute for the actual experience. The virtual world is not real! That said, I´ve just spent the better part of
the day getting the bike operational again. Fixing the tire was the easy part.

I have prepped my Rad Rhino (Rover) for long distance.

I live in Paris, France and it is around 0°C (32 °F) right now, a bit windy. I usually stop commuting by bike when the snow is too thick (happens rarely but times will surely change).

Otherwise, I am always commuting on my bike and been doing long distance ride on weekends (from 135 (83 miles) to 200+ km (124 miles)). If it's not raining too harshly, will be riding next weekend as well.

The new generation of indoor bikes now have interactive rides and classes on the screen.
Some bikes have incline/decline and Bluetooth data links to ride tracking apps like Strava.
This is the controversial television ad that started it all last Christmas... and the craze began! :cool: :p

1609616721632.png

Last edited:
I guess for winter the closest I get to a bike is doing the upside down bicycle stomach crunches. Other than that I use a compact stair stepper that also has bungee type cords for the arms while working the legs.

I guess for winter the closest I get to a bike is doing the upside down bicycle stomach crunches. Other than that I use a compact stair stepper that also has bungee type cords for the arms while working the legs.
Does the arm movement somehow drive the step movement?
Or vice versa ... a coordination thing?

Back