Winter Is Coming - Biking in Cold Weather

So true. It’s created some precarious conditions so bad that I wouldn’t recommend riding on without appropriate tires. The ice here on city streets tends to be smooth and hard like this section I came across as I exited one of the trails today. Fortunately, the woman coming down this icy stretch of hill had enough sense to install studded tires on her bike.

Thats perfect for studded tires!

I had another clean ride this morning and hope to head out again before the polar vortex sweeps in next week. Our fate might be sealed for the remainder of the month.

I was tempted to take a lap or two around this local rink as I was passing by but the guy in the Zamboni might have had other ideas.

View attachment 147220

More trail goodness as the temperature hovered around a near perfect -2C.

View attachment 147222
View attachment 147221
View attachment 147223
Youda winter riding king. The leader that we aspire to equal! Rock on!

Thats perfect for studded tires!

Yes, ice can certainly be your friend.

45NRTH has a decent lineup of tires. I ran a set of Wrathchilds a couple of years ago but since I switched over to the ISPs with 400 carbide studs/tire, I find that there’s significantly more bite offered up by these bad boys.

Youda winter riding king. The leader that we aspire to equal! Rock on!
I’m not so sure I would consider myself a leader but at least I felt like I was in the zone yesterday which for me meant being physically and mentally present in the moment and focusing less on the details of the ride or my bike. No pre-routine, got dressed, hopped on the bike and made a beeline to the trail head.

Condensed footage of part of yesterday's ride.

Another great winter day today :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230218-110935_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20230218-110935_Strava.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 108
Tell us again about how you collected a paycheck from Eric Hicks @ LUNA Cycle who you now defame regularly.
us? you and the turd in your pocket?

how about you show us where i defame Luna(tic). You one bike fanboys are a yawn. It’s back to ignore for Mike_Vagi. Can you share a single post where you’ve been helpful or helped another poster? it’s all attack, insult and demean. PLONK

Now that winter is starting to get more real in Minnesota, I am reevaluating my winter riding gear.

For those that use a balaclava, it looks like they are not all created equally. I think one that is windproof is a good choice for e-biking. Has anybody here found one/some that are better than others for cold weather e-biking?

Now that winter is starting to get more real in Minnesota, I am reevaluating my winter riding gear.

For those that use a balaclava, it looks like they are not all created equally. I think one that is windproof is a good choice for e-biking. Has anybody here found one/some that are better than others for cold weather e-biking?
My warmest is branded OR outdoor research and it’s rated as wind proof. I’m never cold above 10F.

man we knew it may snow tonight but it was 40 degrees the nI left for work. but by the time I was going to come home it was 27 degrees and wind. I forgot to wear my insulated boots and did not think to put my insulated pants on the ones II had were good to about 32 degrees. Plus an extra shirt under my goretex jacket. but I lucked out my rain pants over my pants took care of that and I took my regular cycling jacket for some reason so that under my jacket took care of that.

Crap it got to 17 degrees here thats so unusual. plus 18mph wind and 36 mph gusts. the snow did not materialize. even the dogs make a mad dash out side and in as soon as possible.

As a Canadian Winter recreational rider, I would recommend #1 a studded front tire, #2 a lower pressure knobby rear tire, #3 keep an eye on your range as a generally higher power output along with a cold battery could zap 50% of your Summer range.

If @Prairie Dog is riding today, he should win an award (and maybe see a medical expert) ;).
View attachment 169583

For me, about 150 Kms south in Calgary, we're much warmer at -32C.
Nope...
Nope, this record-breaking cold snap has me confined for the time being and throwing in the towel. If they were giving out awards, they would likely go out to the letter carriers, tow truck drivers, or those in construction where extreme weather conditions are part of the job. Even one of the major airlines has cancelled flights due to the de-icing fluid being ineffective at such low temperatures.

Have you ever noticed how we always seem to be a few degrees colder than either you folks in Calgary or our fair capital to the north. Perhaps it’s a result of being located in a valley where colder air tends to pool or at least that’s what I’ve been told.

As a Canadian Winter recreational rider, I would recommend #1 a studded front tire
A studded tire on the rear as well will provide you the necessary traction for even modest climbing particularly when encountering ice. Going downhill without rear spikes can be just as risky when applying brakes as the rear wheel will tend to slide out from under you.

Nope, this record-breaking cold snap has me confined for the time being and throwing in the towel. If they were giving out awards, they would likely go out to the letter carriers, tow truck drivers, or those in construction where extreme weather conditions are part of the job. Even one of the major airlines has cancelled flights due to the de-icing fluid being ineffective at such low temperatures.

Have you ever noticed how we always seem to be a few degrees colder than either you folks in Calgary or our fair capital to the north. Perhaps it’s a result of being located in a valley where colder air tends to pool or at least that’s what I’ve been told.
To be honest, more than once I've had to climb telephone poles at similar temps to repair services to emergency services locations (mainly local volunteer fire departments) in northwestern Alberta.
That was of course 40 years ago, and did contravene health and safety protocols for working aloft.

Too cold for the hydraulic lift trucks, and too high for our 32' ladders, but needed to be done.
These were very small locations and was before cell phones were a thing.
For reference, the northernmost location was about the same distance from the Canada/US border as it is from NYC to Atlanta.
Still lots and lots of Canada to the north of that still...

Work didn't allow for gloves once you were up there, but you worked quickly! Sometimes, on bigger failures, you worked in teams of three or four- you spent more time climbing the poles then the actual telephone cable work.

Today looks like another good day for watching TV, perhaps some football (both kinds).

Cold, no problem. but getting home at 1AM in a blizzard on unplowed streets with 6"+ of snow proved to be an adventure. Several times I had to jump off and 5 times drag the trike to tire tracks. That was the longest mile ever! Gotta get a 24" studded drive side tire.

A studded tire on the rear as well will provide you the necessary traction for even modest climbing particularly when encountering ice. Going downhill without rear spikes can be just as risky when applying brakes as the rear wheel will tend to slide out from under you.
I agree, I was suggesting the knobby rear as a minimum, as studded tires are more than $200 a piece and require stud replacement if you can't avoid riding on asphalt or cement.

Yes, ice can certainly be your friend.

45NRTH has a decent lineup of tires. I ran a set of Wrathchilds a couple of years ago but since I switched over to the ISPs with 400 carbide studs/tire, I find that there’s significantly more bite offered up by these bad boys.

I’m not so sure I would consider myself a leader but at least I felt like I was in the zone yesterday which for me meant being physically and mentally present in the moment and focusing less on the details of the ride or my bike. No pre-routine, got dressed, hopped on the bike and made a beeline to the trail head.

Condensed footage of part of yesterday's ride.

Beautiful!

Back