Vanhawks Valour (carbon unibody, haptic feedback, crowdsource app)

Thanks for the heads up on this bike! I just reached out to them and will try to visit and do a test ride. I'm planning to be in Toronto later this month to visit BionX and it looks like that's where they are based.

vanhawks-valour-electric-bike.jpg

I love the sleek design, super light carbon fiber and built in technology (turn signals, car detection, "rumble bars" and crowdsourced route information). It's almost like they've combined the features of the waze app with a video game controller + bicycle :p

Looks awesome! I can't find anywhere where it says it's a geared hub motor though... I think it's pedal power only

Looks awesome! I can't find anywhere where it says it's a geared hub motor though... I think it's pedal power only

You're right James.
It's a regular bicycle (well, not so regular) with bluetooth connectivity, carbon frame and aesthetically pleasing design.

You're right James.
It's a regular bicycle (well, not so regular) with bluetooth connectivity, carbon frame and aesthetically pleasing design.
Nice catch guys... I just assumed it was an ebike. Still very cool! Not a huge fan of single speeds myself (and I prefer suspension) but the innovative tech here is certainly worth exploring. Really feels like the future is happening ;)

Oh, it's a sweet sweet looking bike, just not an ebike. I don't really get the whole single speed fascination either Court. It's big in the urban riding world for some reason.

They mention the hub motor around the 1:10 mark.

It's called internal geared hub (not a motor). They are going to install a gates carbon drive (if they reach $700K mark) and NuVinci N360 drivetrain and this eliminates the clunky gears outside and keeps the aesthetic appeal. The higher-end version of such a internally geared hub is Rohloff and there is also Shimano nexus internal gear hub. None of them carry any motor.

Back