Vado firmware update

This is same bike as yours, yes? Same Firmware as mine all 3, Display, Motor and battery.
Battery FW version is different. Mine battery firmware is 7.20.0. The rest is the same. Thinking may be the battery is different. My battery is Specialized U1-600

Battery FW version is different. Mine battery firmware is 7.20.0. The rest is the same. Thinking may be the battery is different. My battery is Specialized U1-600

That makes no sense. He has "2020 Vado 5.0" I have a 2019 Vado 5.0. We're all in the 🇺🇸. So, it stands to reason...

The 3 firmwares that came loaded on my 2020 Vado 5.0 when I took delivery of it in mid-January 2020 were:
1. Motor: 5.0.4
2. Display unit: C.4.0
3. Rechargeable li-ion battery: 7.3.0

On 7 February 2020, a lbs updated firmwares to:
1. Motor: 7.1.1
2. Display unit: 13.4.0
My rechargeable li-ion battery firmware was not updated and currently remains at 7.3.0.

It's too bad Specialized doesn't allow customers to view a listing of the latest firmware versions for different e-bike models on its website, in lieu of a customer/end user having to contact Specialized or depending on a lbs for this information. Even better would be giving customers the ability to download and wirelessly update firmwares through the Mission Control App, instead of having to take one's bike to a Specialized dealer and possibly being charged for the update. I'm guessing Specialized wants to keep customers as dealer dependent as possible. In my case, I was not charged for this first time firmware updating. But future firmware updates could and likely will end up costing me.
I heard from Specialized today. All they say is my bike is up to date on all firmwares and don’t address the battery firmware update process.

I have a 2020 Como 5.0. bought the bike in Nov 19 with the below firmware version
Motor 7.1.1
Battery 7.20.0
Display 12.40.0

Went to LBS for update today. Only Display FW was available for my bike.
Motor 7.1.1
Battery 7.20.0
Display 13.40.0

There seems to be a small glitch for the new Display FW on my bike. The Odometer and the actual numeric data are switched up on the display. Please check yours if you just had 13.40.0 update to your bike. See picture. Now the ODO font is large and the numbers are small.
Had my firmwares updated the other day.
And now I have the same menu 5 as you. Large odo font and small numbers.
Strange that this display firmware has been around for two months.
Did you get yours fixed?

I should have reported my firmware versions in my last post.
2020 Vado 5.0 EU version bought new April 2019. Firmwares updated June 2.
Motor 7.1.1
Battery 7.3.4
Display 13.4.0

As a comparison, my firmware versions are:

Motor 7.1.1
Battery 9.3.4
Display 12.4.0

This a 2019 Vado 4 purchased in Jan/Feb 2020 and has only been back to the LBS for one maintenance issue (loose motor bolts).

Originally I put my battery version down as reflecting the fact that I am in a 25km/h region, but now I am not so sure.

Would be interesting with information from Specialized about the firmware updates.
What’s new ? What’s better?

Turbo Vado 5.0 model year 2020 purchased in Sept. 2019.
Motor 7.1.1
Display 13.4.0
Battery 7.20.0

What’s up with battery version differences??
Others kind of match.

I should have reported my firmware versions in my last post.
2020 Vado 5.0 EU version bought new April 2019. Firmwares updated June 2.
Motor 7.1.1
Battery 7.3.4
Display 13.4.0
Same as yours (USA), different country. 2019 Turbo Vado 5.0.

I am so excited! I got my Vado 4 on April 8th in the US. Since then I've ridden over 1000 miles. But on flat terrain at about 16 mph if I pedal fast, the power cuts out. It doesn't matter what level of power assist there is or how hard I pedal, on flat terrain I can't get my bike past 17 mph.

Well, until today! Based on all of the wonderful info on this thread, I took my bike to the LBS today, got the firmware updated and now I've got a 28 mph bike! My Vado was set up with European speed limiting firmware.

Now it's a totally different bike. Crazy! Took about 3 minutes to update, the motor and display firmware. The mechanic said the battery firmware was correct. I didn't push it. If there's battery issues, then I'l go back.

Unfortunately, there is thunder, lightning and heavy rain right now, so I can't go for a decent ride today. I'm totally bummed. But tomorrow, definitely!

One thing that I was also questioning is that if I turn the power assist to zero, when I pedal the display still shows wattage is being used. The battery level doesn't go down, but it looks like power is being used. The mechanic said it's measuring wattage coming out of the crank, so it's measuring my wattage instead of the motor. Not a big deal, but sort of cool!

Thanks for all of the helpful info everyone!!

Well, until today! Based on all of the wonderful info on this thread, I took my bike to the LBS today, got the firmware updated and now I've got a 28 mph bike! My Vado was set up with European speed limiting firmware.
I'm so happy with your happiness!

Yesterday's thunder storms ended mid-afternoon, so I was able to take my updated firmware Vado for a 25 mile ride. It was amazing how much more power the bike had at the various assist levels. Eco mode was more like Sport mode before the firmware got updated. While that was fun for a while, it also used up more battery power.

I actually haven't fooled around with Mission Control so far. I've just used the bike's presets. Now it's apparent that if I want to keep riding the distances that I enjoy, I'll have to tweak the support levels. Oh well, something new to learn!

I forgot to say. Here's what the LBS updated the 2020 Vado 4 firmware to yesterday. Actually, they didn't update the battery. He said that version was current.

Firmware:
Motor - 7.1.1
Display - 13.4.0
Battery - 9.3.0

I forgot to say. Here's what the LBS updated the 2020 Vado 4 firmware to yesterday. Actually, they didn't update the battery. He said that version was current.

Firmware:
Motor - 7.1.1
Display - 13.4.0
Battery - 9.3.0

This is really quite interesting .

It is clear that the new norm for the display is 13.4.0, and it seems my battery was set to the latest back in Jan/Feb.

I am an ex-IT person, and am used to looking up PC driver versions etc on-line - which normally come with a short explanation of what the change is doing. It is a shame we cannot see that with the Specialized updates.

At least we've figured out that bellandbottle has the most recent battery firmware update of 9.3.4. At least within those participating in this thread.

At least we've figured out that bellandbottle has the most recent battery firmware update of 9.3.4. At least within those participating in this thread.

I think an issue with the battery is that, as shown on the training video near the end, it needs to be removed from the bike and updated separately with a special usb lead with a battery connection plug on the end.

...PC driver versions etc on-line - which normally come with a short explanation of what the change is doing. It is a shame we cannot see that with the Specialized updates.

Agreed. Vado FW updates are a blackbox, and that's not just annoying.

Earlier FW updates have cut the power supply support of external devices (such as smartphone) via the microUSB-port of the BLOKS display without prior notice. Weird.

Agreed. Vado FW updates are a blackbox, and that's not just annoying.

Earlier FW updates have cut the power supply support of external devices (such as smartphone) via the microUSB-port of the BLOKS display without prior notice. Weird.
Every time a FW update is available I am nervous of what will happen next.
The purpose should be improvements and that is not the case in some instances like some IOS updates on Apple IPhones. Fix something and break other!

I know that this isn't exactly the right place for this info, but it finishes the story of me updating my 2020 Vado 4 firmware. My US Vado 4 had the European speed limiting firmware. My LBS updated the firmware last Saturday and suddenly now at Class 3, it was like a different bike. Eco, Sport and Turbo levels had way, way more power. But with that power came higher battery drain.

I decided that what's most important to me right now in my sedentary, work from home, pandemic life are range and fitness. I realized that I never use Turbo. So I went into Mission Control and essentially eliminated it. Now my power assist levels are Eco 15%, Sport 30% and Turbo 50%.

Yesterday I rode 32 miles in a mixture of hills and flats, mainly at 15% assist and occasionally going to 30%. I got home with 50% battery.

I'm going to live with those assist levels for a while and see if they work long term.

Back