Vado firmware update

The only update I really got recently was for the display. Didn't change anything I could notice 😊

Took mine in for an update today, I was told that the battery was not an available update (for my LBS anyway), but the display and motor.
Now to see what, if anything.
Does anyone have any knowledge as to what the updates were addressing, changes?

Attachments

• Latest Firmware Update Vado 2-17-21.PNG
    Latest Firmware Update Vado 2-17-21.PNG
    58.9 KB · Views: 246
Took mine in for an update today, I was told that the battery was not an available update (for my LBS anyway), but the display and motor.
Now to see what, if anything.
Does anyone have any knowledge as to what the updates were addressing, changes?
There's a code that you can enter in MC to render the bike disabled.

Kam, while you are here. How is it with entering the correct wheel circumference in BLEvo? Where are you doing it? What parameters does it affect?

Kam, while you are here. How is it with entering the correct wheel circumference in BLEvo? Where are you doing it? What parameters does it affect?
Actually, BLEvo gave me the wheel circumference by default 90.6 or 2300 mm without me changing anything.(I think the wheel circumference is between 90.3 and 90.6 with the Armadillos. No setting between those parameters. ) LBS had changed it to 2000mm when they upgraded motor and display. So, when I changed it to match MC 2000 mm that's when BLEvo gave me the warning about Speed etc. Default 15.6 mph changed to 17 +mph. So, I could of got a couple extra mph on top of the 28 mph but the mileage,range and speed would be way off. I haven't really tested it much after resetting MC/BLEvo. LBS set my wheel size to 2300 mm. Display shows me hitting 28mph in Turbo and 24 mph in Eco. That's how it used to be with default preset. I'm going to test speed/range using GPS setting in BLEvo app. 28mph seemed pretty fast with the Armadillos. Based on my findings will determine if I stay at 90.6 or go down a little to 90.3. The lbs will change it to whatever I want.

@Stefan Mikes . Tested GPS against MC/Display was off by a little over 1 mph. Went to the lbs and kind of insisted that they measure the wheel. So the tech took off the back wheel and ran a tape measure around the wheel. I was standing at a distance so I couldn't actually see the numbers. Anyway he said Specialized have the Electraks 2.0 as 2300 mm. Yet he measured 2290. But said something about 2287. He changed it to 2290 mm. Tested the ride against GPS/display/MC. GPS max speed 27.3 mph. Display shows 27.9. MC shows 27.74 mph. MC average speed shows 14.29 mph. GPS average speed 14.0 mph. Display shows average speed 15 mph. So, the change proved more accurate but it's still slightly off. Maybe that's why he said something about 2287 mm. That's probably what I'll end up settling on. Lbs was so busy they really didn't want to be bothered. I'm going to take take it to Woodland Hills where they have plenty of time to get it more precise. 2300 mm Specialized specs is definitely inaccurate.BLEvo detection was inaccurate as well. GPS, clear sky, no clouds or obstructions, I topped out at 27.3 mph. My weight 185 pounds + the weight in my bags about 22 pounds.

That's all very confusing. Regarding my Vado on Electreks: Whatever the setting is there, I believe the readouts are pretty correct. Since I ride Marathons Winter Plus now, I don't intend to do anything before the Spring comes and I can get back on my Electraks for detailed tests and perhaps visiting the LBS.

Meanwhile, I've got something interesting for you. I and my brother have for long suspected the 29x2.0" wheel had exactly the same circumference as 27.5x2.60". So I took the Trance E+ wheel with Ice Spikers Pro off, and measured the circumference with a piece of cord. Guess what? 2290 mm!

@Kam1936: I'm unable to understand how it works.

I set 2300 mm wheel circumference in BLEvo. Distance ridden as reported by BLEvo = 71.58 km; GPS distance = 69.17 km. BLEvo/Vado was 3.48% off.
Wheel circumference 2255 mm: BLEvo/Vado = 48.50 km. GPS = 47.61 km. Error = 1.87%. (The display distance was, however, 100% accurate with BLEvo readouts but not with GPS).

What's that all about?! (50-622 tyres).

@Kam1936: I'm unable to understand how it works.

I set 2300 mm wheel circumference in BLEvo. Distance ridden as reported by BLEvo = 71.58 km; GPS distance = 69.17 km. BLEvo/Vado was 3.48% off.
Wheel circumference 2255 mm: BLEvo/Vado = 48.50 km. GPS = 47.61 km. Error = 1.87%. (The display distance was, however, 100% accurate with BLEvo readouts but not with GPS).

What's that all about?! (50-622 tyres).
I went back to LBS in Woodland Hills. Had wheel size set to 2270 mm. Still display is showing I'm about 2/10 off from GPS. Closer then 2900 mm but still off by substantial amount. Going to have it set back to original 2255 mm. I'm thinking that the wheel size is accurate to the size of the rim's circumference not including the tires. Even then the circumference will be slightly off but closer than the larger settings previously applied to GPS readings. Where it makes a significant difference is when wheel size is set to a much smaller rim size like 2000 mm. Then display readings are way off showing much shorter distance and slower speed measured against GPS.

I just put the same tires on my Vado that Stefan has, and had the LBS set the wheel size to 2250....we shall see, major thaw this week, get a few miles on the clock :)

I'm thinking that the wheel size is accurate to the size of the rim's circumference not including the tires.
Interesting thought. I think I'll give up all these experiments. There is a BLEvo option to prefer GPS data to the bike data (I think), and I might go for that as GPS is very accurate in my experience. Anyway, BLEvo is very smart: It "cheats" Strava by providing the bike data even if true ride map is sent to Strava along with the metadata. Strava is GPS based, so it is exciting how the BLEvo GPX file is designed :) (Normally Strava recalculates a provided GPX file to verify the distance ridden; it is not the case with BLEvo).

Another great capability of BLEvo:
1614065980633.png

it is possible to make post-ride analyses of any kind using BLEvo CSV export file.

I just put the same tires on my Vado that Stefan has, and had the LBS set the wheel size to 2250....we shall see, major thaw this week, get a few miles on the clock :)
Lot easier to just pump the tire up and measure the circumference.
If you don't have a tape measure or a piece of string (non-stretch please) will do.

Lot easier to just pump the tire up and measure the circumference.
If you don't have a tape measure or a piece of string (non-stretch please) will do.
Jim: We've done all kind of experiments. It doesn't work that way with Vado.
For instance, stock Specialized Electrak 2.0 tyres have circumference of 2286 mm. The factory bike setting is 2255 mm. The match between GPS and display is unusually good. Strange, isn't it.

Jim: We've done all kind of experiments. It doesn't work that way with Vado.
For instance, stock Specialized Electrak 2.0 tyres have circumference of 2286 mm. The factory bike setting is 2255 mm. The match between GPS and display is unusually good. Strange, isn't it.

So, to get involved, I have the same tires at a pressure of 4 bar.
Block set to 2255, and measurement via Strava deviation minimal.
Last night ride, Bloks showed 23,04km, Strava 23,10km :)

Back