Using Ebikes As Tools For Meeting a Health Challenge

Alaskan

Those who know me are aware that I have been using my ebikes to rebuild my heart and general fitness after having had a major heart attack three years ago. It has worked incredibly well. However this winter I got a cancer diagnosis, ironically in one of my legs, the engines of my heart's recovery.

I have been fighting a cancerous tumor (soft tissue sarcoma) in my left thigh since February. After chemo and radiation, I had to have surgery on my leg ten days ago which will keep me off my bike for a month or more.

What a blessing to have a good ebike to encourage and facilitate my recovery and rehab. It is the perfect tool as it is so much fun, encouraging me to ride whenever the weather allows and adjustable for my changing needs.

I started chemotherapy in mid February. I kept riding although as the chemo progressed my energy level declined and there were days I just didn't have the energy to ride. My rides got shorter and I started using more assist. That lasted until the end of April. Keeping my body moving, getting out into the fresh air, watching life return with the blooming spring, really helped keep a good attitude during a difficult time.

In mid May, I moved on to the next phase of treatment, daily radiation therapy and the University of Washington Med Center. It was an 85 mile drive back and forth. I would leave the house at 8:15 and get back home by noon. The weather was warming and the chemo was working its way out of my system. I rode just about every afternoon when it wasn't raining. I rode almost every day with almost 30 mile daily average distance, racking up over 800 miles in July and over 600 miles in August prior to the surgery on the 24th. I focussed on reducing the electric assist and putting out as high wattage from my legs as I could, wanting to to into surgery in the best possible condition.

Riding on a daily basis and getting outdoors despite what was going on was so helpful in keeping my mental state and attitude on the positive side. It was an embrace of life made possible by my ebike. I wanted to go in to surgery strong and fit. My doctors encouraged this saying that having good muscle tone and vigorous circulation would facilitate and speed up healing and recovery.

Post surgically they are encouraging me to get back riding as soon as I can. When I get back on my bike I will have to use much higher assist until I can retrain my left leg to overcome a 50% loss in the quadriceps. Hopefully I can get close to my prior riding power.

The prognosis is good, radiation had left no living cancer cells, but they had to take out some muscle from my quadriceps and I have a long road of rehab and PT ahead. Hopefully, I get back on my bike by October

My goal for recovery is by next summer, repeat the Mount Baker climb I did last month, 48 miles with 5,000 feet of elevation gain.

Ebikes have been the perfect tool, adapting to my changing needs, keeping me fit, keeping me smiling, helping me fight cancer and heal.

Life is better on an ebike!

Last Month at Artist Point - Mount Baker
20200810_123626.jpg

Best of luck to you! Ebiking has helped me immensely to get back from major open heart surgery a few years ago. I’m always impressed with your work levels and if anyone can do it, you can!😎👍

yes great story. I ahve been sick for many years. my body hates most foods and especially carbs. it has drained my energy for many years. for several eyars I road a road bike then a recumbent but it was so much of a battle my lungs would be tight and i would go so slow. it really to the fun out of it. when I got my e bike all I could do was spin on my 20 mile commute. it took a couple months before I could actualy put any effort into peddling. it took from late nov till now till I can work at it. I still don't have normal energy but it is so much better then it was. my e bike makes biking fun. I can still ride if I fee like crap.

Those who know me are aware that I have been using my ebikes to rebuild my heart and general fitness after having had a major heart attack three years ago. It has worked incredibly well. However this winter I got a cancer diagnosis, ironically in one of my legs, the engines of my heart's recovery.

I have been fighting a cancerous tumor (soft tissue sarcoma) in my left thigh since February. After chemo and radiation, I had to have surgery on my leg ten days ago which will keep me off my bike for a month or more.

What a blessing to have a good ebike to encourage and facilitate my recovery and rehab. It is the perfect tool as it is so much fun, encouraging me to ride whenever the weather allows and adjustable for my changing needs.

I started chemotherapy in mid February. I kept riding although as the chemo progressed my energy level declined and there were days I just didn't have the energy to ride. My rides got shorter and I started using more assist. That lasted until the end of April. Keeping my body moving, getting out into the fresh air, watching life return with the blooming spring, really helped keep a good attitude during a difficult time.

In mid May, I moved on to the next phase of treatment, daily radiation therapy and the University of Washington Med Center. It was an 85 mile drive back and forth. I would leave the house at 8:15 and get back home by noon. The weather was warming and the chemo was working its way out of my system. I rode just about every afternoon when it wasn't raining. I rode almost every day with almost 30 mile daily average distance, racking up over 800 miles in July and over 600 miles in August prior to the surgery on the 24th. I focussed on reducing the electric assist and putting out as high wattage from my legs as I could, wanting to to into surgery in the best possible condition.

Riding on a daily basis and getting outdoors despite what was going on was so helpful in keeping my mental state and attitude on the positive side. It was an embrace of life made possible by my ebike. I wanted to go in to surgery strong and fit. My doctors encouraged this saying that having good muscle tone and vigorous circulation would facilitate and speed up healing and recovery.

Post surgically they are encouraging me to get back riding as soon as I can. When I get back on my bike I will have to use much higher assist until I can retrain my left leg to overcome a 50% loss in the quadriceps. Hopefully I can get close to my prior riding power.

The prognosis is good, radiation had left no living cancer cells, but they had to take out some muscle from my quadriceps and I have a long road of rehab and PT ahead. Hopefully, I get back on my bike by October

My goal for recovery is by next summer, repeat the Mount Baker climb I did last month, 48 miles with 5,000 feet of elevation gain.

Ebikes have been the perfect tool, adapting to my changing needs, keeping me fit, keeping me smiling, helping me fight cancer and heal.

View attachment 64374

All the best to you Alaskan here's to a speedy recovery. I was diagnosed with heart failure last year and even though not the greatest news in the world, that news got me off my butt and on to an Ebike. I am now looking to purchase my 3rd and try to get a good ride in every day. God speed to your recovery. Taylor

View attachment 64374
I've been thinking about you since your surgery date. I was going to PM you to see how it went, but now I can publically wish you well! OCT will be here sooner than you expect.

Be well, and Ride On!

Wishing you the best - a quick recovery, and a warm, dry autumn for getting back on your bike!

yes great story. I ahve been sick for many years. my body hates most foods and especially carbs. it has drained my energy for many years. for several eyars I road a road bike then a recumbent but it was so much of a battle my lungs would be tight and i would go so slow. it really to the fun out of it. when I got my e bike all I could do was spin on my 20 mile commute. it took a couple months before I could actualy put any effort into peddling. it took from late nov till now till I can work at it. I still don't have normal energy but it is so much better then it was. my e bike makes biking fun. I can still ride if I fee like crap.

Amazing story, you are a true inspiration to all of us.

My father survived a triple by-pass heart attack 10 years ago (he was 56) this month. I'm thankful everyday he is still with us. March 2019 at my heaviest I weighed 52lbs more than he ever did at his heaviest and my doctor told me (I was 41 at the time) that I was a high risk candidate to have a heart attack like my father before 50.

I quit the 90 hour a week high paying contract I had for 2 years at the time...6 days later. A month after I started fixing up the ebike I bought in 2017. By June I had 2 ebikes and by October I had...5. I have 7 bikes now total (yes I will finally sell some of them, lol) and more importantly...I'm down 55lbs from my heaviest (losing all the COVID weight I put on finally), my resting heart rate is down from 85bpm to 62bpm and while I have another 50-70lbs to go...

...I will get there. All thanks to ebikes.

Alaskan, it's posts like yours that give me hope I will see this journey I'm on through to the finish line. It would be easy to give up, ride less, too busy with work...but stories like yours help remind me why I am doing what I am doing and while it can be tough at times for me...seeing what you are going through and winning the battle like you are, helps put my challenges into perspective.

Cheers

It is very nice to hear your successful surgery. Your positive attitude towards life is inspirational. I am sure you are going to recover soon and get back on your bike. Take good care.

ps: Your T-shirts are cool.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. iMHO, E-bikes are a great recovery tool. In mid-winter 2012 I had a bad fall at a construction site, broke 4 ribs c/w badly scraped lung. Add to that the tendons that attach the quad to the lower leg were snapped on my right leg. A week in ICU and then an early discharge as I needed to get as far away from sick people as I could, because a cold would have done me in with the state of my chest.

Getting home was no hardship for me and my wheelchair (6 weeks) as our home is handicap friendly, including an elevator.

To make a long story short, my rehab was slow and never really got going until I could get out on my e-bike in May. That's where I got the bulk of my strength and more importantly, flexibility back. I really don't think a normal bike would have helped as much as I wouldn't have got the reps in.

I still ride for fun of course, but it still keeps me away from the knee surgeon. I've been so close to needing an artificial left knee for 10 years, and the fall didn't help as the knee that needs to go is not the leg they put back together. The e-bike riding has in fact improved the stability of the joint to the point I'm able to walk the golf course again.

Bottom line - and I'm sure you already know this, but get back on and ride Asap. Oh, and the drugs they put you on for pain are a bastard! Get off them as fast as you possibly can!

Someone said this to me the other day and I'm stealing it - "all my mojo is headed in your direction".

Back