Using Ebikes As Tools For Meeting a Health Challenge

Six weeks after surgery and I am finally back in the saddle. It feels great. First time was a four mile jaunt around town. Next day a 22 mile ride out in the countryside. Turbo all the way, just to be safe and not overdo it with the surgical wound still healing. No pain or stiffness this morning so it should be safe to ride at a lower assist and with more vigor on my part.

Screenshot_20201014-152416_Messages.jpg

Oct 15 ride.jpg

Six weeks after surgery and I am finally back in the saddle. It feels great. First time was a four mile jaunt around town. Next day a 22 mile ride out in the countryside. Turbo all the way, just to be safe and not overdo it with the surgical wound still healing. No pain or stiffness this morning so it should be safe to ride at a lower assist and with more vigor on my part.

View attachment 68804

View attachment 68805
Nicely done sir!
Take it slowly (you obviously are), and you'll be back up to speed soon!

Six weeks after surgery and I am finally back in the saddle. It feels great. First time was a four mile jaunt around town. Next day a 22 mile ride out in the countryside.
Turbo all the way, just to be safe and not overdo it with the surgical wound still healing. No pain or stiffness this morning so it should be safe to ride at a lower assist and with more vigor on my part.

View attachment 68804

View attachment 68805
Welcome back!
I try to follow my doctor's advice... if it starts to hurt, stop doing it! ;)

Those who know me are aware that I have been using my ebikes to rebuild my heart and general fitness after having had a major heart attack three years ago. It has worked incredibly well. However this winter I got a cancer diagnosis, ironically in one of my legs, the engines of my heart's recovery.

I have been fighting a cancerous tumor (soft tissue sarcoma) in my left thigh since February. After chemo and radiation, I had to have surgery on my leg ten days ago which will keep me off my bike for a month or more.

What a blessing to have a good ebike to encourage and facilitate my recovery and rehab. It is the perfect tool as it is so much fun, encouraging me to ride whenever the weather allows and adjustable for my changing needs.

I started chemotherapy in mid February. I kept riding although as the chemo progressed my energy level declined and there were days I just didn't have the energy to ride. My rides got shorter and I started using more assist. That lasted until the end of April. Keeping my body moving, getting out into the fresh air, watching life return with the blooming spring, really helped keep a good attitude during a difficult time.

In mid May, I moved on to the next phase of treatment, daily radiation therapy and the University of Washington Med Center. It was an 85 mile drive back and forth. I would leave the house at 8:15 and get back home by noon. The weather was warming and the chemo was working its way out of my system. I rode just about every afternoon when it wasn't raining. I rode almost every day with almost 30 mile daily average distance, racking up over 800 miles in July and over 600 miles in August prior to the surgery on the 24th. I focussed on reducing the electric assist and putting out as high wattage from my legs as I could, wanting to to into surgery in the best possible condition.

Riding on a daily basis and getting outdoors despite what was going on was so helpful in keeping my mental state and attitude on the positive side. It was an embrace of life made possible by my ebike. I wanted to go in to surgery strong and fit. My doctors encouraged this saying that having good muscle tone and vigorous circulation would facilitate and speed up healing and recovery.

Post surgically they are encouraging me to get back riding as soon as I can. When I get back on my bike I will have to use much higher assist until I can retrain my left leg to overcome a 50% loss in the quadriceps. Hopefully I can get close to my prior riding power.

The prognosis is good, radiation had left no living cancer cells, but they had to take out some muscle from my quadriceps and I have a long road of rehab and PT ahead. Hopefully, I get back on my bike by October

My goal for recovery is by next summer, repeat the Mount Baker climb I did last month, 48 miles with 5,000 feet of elevation gain.

Ebikes have been the perfect tool, adapting to my changing needs, keeping me fit, keeping me smiling, helping me fight cancer and heal.

Life is better on an ebike!

Last Month at Artist Point - Mount Baker
View attachment 64374
Actually, that's Mt Shuksan. The shot of Shuksan from Picture Lake is one of the best known photos in the USA, if not the world. I've heard of an outdoor shop in
Florida that has a poster of it on display. Congratulations on that climb to Artists' Point. Did you need more than one battery to pull that off? Were you able to do part of it with PAS off? Where did you start the climb? Did you ever participate in Sea to Ski? I've done it several times, but only the sea kayaking leg. I usually finished in the top 90%.

Best of luck on your recovery. Glad you didn't get too discouraged receiving all that crappy medical news. We old timers got to keep fighting off the ravages of time, and it looks like you picked a great way to do it. My dad, who lived to be just a few months shy of 100, like to say "Growing old ain't for sissies."

Alaskan, for the life of me, I don't know how I missed your thread. But I am glad to have found it. But better, incredibly happy in the fantastic recovery you have made. Inspiring.

I love this forum, the people who come here most everyday; their contributions like family sitting round the table. I always held your opinion in the highest of regard. You are a very valuable member to this little ebike family of ours. Long may you run!

Mike

You know we're a bunch of old farts when there is a section on our ebike forum for injuries and surgery's etc. I am having hernia surgery Friday. I tried to put it off as long as possible but got tired of it growling back at me like an Alien. The only good news I can glean from this deal is our golf course is closed for overseeding and my hot girlfriend is willing to nurse me back to health! Here's to you boys!

I enjoyed Picasso, but I prefer this traditional song with similar sentiments. It's in my will that it must be played at my wake, which I hope is still a long way off. As it's Celtic traditional, there are many, many versions. This one is rather nice.

Actually, that's Mt Shuksan. The shot of Shuksan from Picture Lake is one of the best known photos in the USA, if not the world. I've heard of an outdoor shop in
Florida that has a poster of it on display. Congratulations on that climb to Artists' Point. Did you need more than one battery to pull that off? Were you able to do part of it with PAS off? Where did you start the climb? Did you ever participate in Sea to Ski? I've done it several times, but only the sea kayaking leg. I usually finished in the top 90%.

Best of luck on your recovery. Glad you didn't get too discouraged receiving all that crappy medical news. We old timers got to keep fighting off the ravages of time, and it looks like you picked a great way to do it. My dad, who lived to be just a few months shy of 100, like to say "Growing old ain't for sissies."
We started in Glacier. 12 miles of 48 with PAS off. Most of the climb was done in Tour. My Trek Allant 9.9 has an internal 625 w and a 500 w range extender. I had 48 percent left. I probably would have made it on just the 625. That day Baker was in the clouds, while Shuksan was out.

That was awesome Randall. For our friends at home here are the lyrics to Sheerans version apparently!

Parting Glass​

Ed Sheeran
Of all the money that e'er I had
I spent it in good company
And of all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Goodnight and joy be with you all
And of all the comrades that e'er I had
They are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They would wish me one more day to stay
But since it calls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
A man may drink and not be drunk
A man may fight and not be slain
A man…

Source: LyricFind

That was awesome Randall. For our friends at home here are the lyrics to Sheerans version apparently!

Parting Glass​

Ed Sheeran
Of all the money that e'er I had
I spent it in good company
And of all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
And of all the comrades that e'er I had
They are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They would wish me one more day to stay
But since it calls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
A man may drink and not be drunk
A man may fight and not be slain
A man…

Source: LyricFind
I don't mind his version, but to attribute it to him is incorrect. (edit - sorry, you didn't do that, I just missed your comment) It's a traditional Scottish or Irish song (both lay claim) , likely from the 18th century. It's best experienced in an Irish pub c/w Guinness or a Murphy's with the usual n+1 formula. Friends alongside you makes it even better!

I don't mind his version, but to attribute it to him is incorrect. It's a traditional Scottish or Irish song (both lay claim) , likely from the 18th century. It's best experienced in an Irish pub c/w Guinness or a Murphy's with the usual n+1 formula. Friends alongside you makes it even better!
I agree. I just used Google and it was the first batch of lyrics. Great tune and the 4 tenors that sang it Acapella were super.

You know we're a bunch of old farts when there is a section on our ebike forum for injuries and surgery's etc. I am having hernia surgery Friday. I tried to put it off as long as possible but got tired of it growling back at me like an Alien. The only good news I can glean from this deal is our golf course is closed for overseeding and my hot girlfriend is willing to nurse me back to health! Here's to you boys!

EBR members do tend towards a Senior age group..
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-seniors-on-bikes-which-one-is-for-you.36214/

View attachment 68804

View attachment 68805
That's great to hear, I hope you will continue to build your strength and more importantly, stay healthy! Wishing you all the very best with your recovery! :)

Alaskan, you’ve an inspiration to all who have ailments and trajedies such as yours. Keep riding as best you can and with your positive attitude and prayers will pull you through again. Ebiking is another tool to pull you through this. May God be with you all the way. Bless you and keep riding safe.

Out riding now, using more assist (mostly Sport) than normal, but have ridden 108 miles in the past week, 35 miles just yesterday. The quad with the surgery felt fine but both knees hurt like hell after the first long ride, much better now. I feel like I am already about 80% back. I think doing 1,500 miles, using low assist levels, in the two months prior to surgery tuned me up and has really enhanced rehab and recovery.

Out riding now, using more assist (mostly Sport) than normal, but have ridden 108 miles in the past week, 35 miles just yesterday. The quad with the surgery felt fine but both knees hurt like hell after the first long ride, much better now. I feel like I am already about 80% back. I think doing 1,500 miles, using low assist levels, in the two months prior to surgery tuned me up and has really enhanced rehab and recovery.

You go man. Get after it. I haven't had to go through surgery yet ( yet ) but at 70 it's all in the offing. Being afflicted with O L D is a tough row to hoe. I'm being pushed ( forced) into retirement and it is a great and uplifting thing to once again be excited about what one can still do. It's been more than a few years since I have gotten excited about anything like I am pumped over ebikes. I've even refurbished my long neglected Specialized MTB that I left hanging from a hook on my wall for 8 years and am using it to get back in some semblance of 'shape'. Never give up. We never know how long we have. One of my grandfathers lived to 96 and if he had a bike he liked to ride probably would have made it well past 100.

O L D is something you have to resist. Fight it as long as you can. You youngsters should pay attention. It is coming for you sooner than you can imagine. I am the same person I was 50 years ago. Without the stupid. Without the concupiscence. ( look it up ... youngun ). Without the pride. Raise your children well ... so they may be 'with you' as you go.

You go man. Get after it. I haven't had to go through surgery yet ( yet ) but at 70 it's all in the offing. Being afflicted with O L D is a tough row to hoe. I'm being pushed ( forced) into retirement and it is a great and uplifting thing to once again be excited about what one can still do. It's been more than a few years since I have gotten excited about anything like I am pumped over ebikes. I've even refurbished my long neglected Specialized MTB that I left hanging from a hook on my wall for 8 years and am using it to get back in some semblance of 'shape'. Never give up. We never know how long we have. One of my grandfathers lived to 96 and if he had a bike he liked to ride probably would have made it well past 100.

O L D is something you have to resist. Fight it as long as you can. You youngsters should pay attention. It is coming for you sooner than you can imagine. I am the same person I was 50 years ago. Without the stupid. Without the concupiscence. ( look it up ... youngun ). Without the pride. Raise your children well ... so they may be 'with you' as you go.
Words to the wise who will listen. ;)

OLD is something you both fight and embrace. Getting OLD ain't easy but the alternative is far worse, at least it is right now. Getting OLD is not a choice, acting OLD is. Nancy and I raise three boys who have all grown into fine young men. Two still live in our town and until covid were still at our dinner table at least twice a week (I married a world class chef which is quite a lure for them). All of us ride together regularly as well.

20190714_132919(0)_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back