Using Ebikes As Tools For Meeting a Health Challenge

What a tremendous thread! Alaskan, two of your quotes really inspired me: "Life owes me nothing" (yes, that one's been around for a while, I guess) but also, "I ride anyway." That's a song, book, or album title right there!

My health issues are less acute, but more long-running-- but I really relate to Alaskan's sentiment of just not feeling it, and then saying "to hell with it" and jumping on the saddle anyway. My connective tissue disorder first showed up on a bike trip, actually, cycling from Jacksonville to St. Petersburg FLA in the early '70s-- I was just more tired than I thought I should be, and had to stop and lie down a few times a day, which didn't seem right for a 15-year-old kid.

(Cyclefanatic, man, I hear you about the long diagnostic road and the rare disease thing-- thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm 63, my first dx at 15 = Lupus, currently MCTD, which has a different antibody marker, but is very similar to Lupus. And I have blood chemistry issues too, though it's not clear exactly what triggers them, or what the prognosis is.)

Anyway, the next year, I started getting high fevers every two weeks, and missed 1/3 of my Junior year of high school-- but if I was well enough to go to school, I was well enough to ride, which I did whenever weather permitted. I went into remission in senior year. I was an OG Manhattan urban racing bike maniac before the bike-messenger thing even got started.

Next crisis was late Freshman year of college, pericarditis, inflammation of the lining of my heart. Limited to 100 BPM, activity restrictions were lifted after a few months, but the docs warned me the symptoms would probably come back a few times, though not as bad. I remember a trip to Yosemite in '82 when the heart-rate restriction got turned back on, and just like Alaskan, my buddies were the best. They'd figure out hiking routes where I only did the easier bits, and they could rendezvous with me later, planned the entire vacation around my health restrictions. We're still as tight today as we were then.

Moved to LA in 1991, and very few symptoms until my early 50... first, a massive ileofemoral DVT in my left leg-- immune disorders can screw up your coagulation, and we think it was that combined with a very minor skiing accident-- and my doctor cut me off from skiing and body boarding when I went on blood thinners. 18 months later, we discontinued the blood thinners, and I went back to skiing and boarding, had a few great years before the second DVT in the same leg. So then, I became a lifer on blood thinners-- but my doctor's attitude changed when her own brother died. Life is short, and she could see how outdoor sports really helped me, so the new rule was: Be careful. No crazy big days in the water, no night or weekend skiing.

Almost immediately, I was stung by a stingray in my bad leg! What should have been a three day recovery was more like four months. At first, I was so angry I sawed up my board and stuffed it in the recycle bin. My left foot is still swollen and kind of blue to this day, but after months of slow swimming in my backyard pool, most of the function came back.

Then I got a better board, fins, armored booties, quit smoking, stopped drinking and smoking weed, and learned how to REALLY bodyboard. I never would have guessed it, but my best skiing and boarding was probably in my late '50s! I had to learn to do it right-- I didn't have the strength to do it wrong. I even went scuba diving in 2017, just hounded my doctor and kept training until she gave me the green light.

All this time, I'd been trying to keep up my biking in the winter-- it was always painful here in the hills, and after the second clot, my route was really limited, I'd skip the biggest hills, but still end the rides often feeling worse than I started. I still skied until 2019, but had my first round of diverticulitis that summer-- probably the immune disorder again + twisted colon, though hard to know. My second attack was fall of last year, and was much worse-- lost a lot of weight, got super weak, IV antibiotics at home for two weeks, and then had an atypical allergic reaction to the antibiotics that was as dangerous-- or more so-- than the diverticulitis.

In December, I couldn't even walk the dogs up the hill to my house, I was that weak. Now, I'm riding a little less than half the distance Alaskan rides, but minimum of 800 feet of vertical for the smaller rides and 1,500+ for the longer ones and I'm getting over 200 minutes of serious cardio every week. I'm a psychotherapist, my schedule is full, and e-biking not only helps me physically, it helps me clear my head. I have nothing like the stress of front-line healthcare providers, but hearing about the carnage from COVID has not been easy, it completely changed the work I do. So much is about safety planning now. I work with college kids, mostly young adults, many international students who are worried about their families back home, and I've been hearing unthinkable stories from all over the world.

I don't know which direction my own health is going; I kind of don't have a good feeling about it-- either the musculoskeletal or the GI problems. It's not unusual for me to need a cane for the first few hours when I wake up-- more for safety to avoid any fall risk-- but to ride 15 miles / 1,500 feet in the evening.

Yeah. "I ride anyway." I'm going with that!

@Cyklefanatic and @Alaskan and @Catalyzt thank you for sharing your inspirational stories. I truly wish you all the clearest path through your health issues. I’ll share a very abridged version of my story, which is a bit different.

In my 30s I got very into long distance running, and after a few years started getting light headed while I ran, and sometimes after. On a few occasions I became very weak and confused, so I saw a doc. Eventual diagnosis, a rare heart rhythm condition in which extreme exercise causes the heart to form small scars. The scars cause an irregular rhythm, leading in many cases to sudden cardiac death. My light headed spells were ventricular tachycardia, an uncoordinated heart rate in the 200 range.

I was given meds and an ICD, told no more exercise, and that it could be controlled as long as I didn’t exercise enough to make it worse. But it wasn’t, the meds made me feel terrible, I was fainting out of the blue and getting shocked by the ICD. Went in for a few procedures to try and fix it, and on the second try, the doctors inadvertently made a hole in my heart. Emergency open heart surgery ensued, and despite the odds around such a thing I survived. Two years of awful “recovery“ followed with talk of transplant, months of barely being about to get out of bed, massive infections, medication problems, anxiety and aGóra phobia, many more shocks from the ICD, and dozens if not hundreds of trips to doctors. I had a one year old at the time, both my wife and I work, and I was also attempting to care for two ailing parents. Certainly the most difficult period of my life.

With much trial and error and pain, things eventually stabilized, the right cocktail of meds was found, and other than no cardio, things were OK. I keep my heart rate below 130 (resting is around 40-45) and avoid anything that would ordinarily trigger a big adrenaline rush.

This January, wooed by Facebook ads, I got an eBike. In March I got another one. I’ve ridden around 500 miles and 35k vert in the last month, and for the first time in 9 years (since all this started) I feel like I can do something outdoors that I love while controlling how hard my heart is working. I turn the motor off except for big hills and strong headwinds. It’s tempting to push it harder than I should, but I remind myself of everything my family and I went through, of everything that so many others have gone through, and remember the fact that the joy is simply being outside on the open road (mostly) under my own power, seeing beautiful places and meeting some amazing people - not shaving another few seconds off a segment PR.

Your stories are all inspirational, thank you again for sharing!

@Cyklefanatic and @Alaskan and @Catalyzt thank you for sharing your inspirational stories. I truly wish you all the clearest path through your health issues. I’ll share a very abridged version of my story, which is a bit different.

In my 30s I got very into long distance running, and after a few years started getting light headed while I ran, and sometimes after. On a few occasions I became very weak and confused, so I saw a doc. Eventual diagnosis, a rare heart rhythm condition in which extreme exercise causes the heart to form small scars. The scars cause an irregular rhythm, leading in many cases to sudden cardiac death. My light headed spells were ventricular tachycardia, an uncoordinated heart rate in the 200 range.

I was given meds and an ICD, told no more exercise, and that it could be controlled as long as I didn’t exercise enough to make it worse. But it wasn’t, the meds made me feel terrible, I was fainting out of the blue and getting shocked by the ICD. Went in for a few procedures to try and fix it, and on the second try, the doctors inadvertently made a hole in my heart. Emergency open heart surgery ensued, and despite the odds around such a thing I survived. Two years of awful “recovery“ followed with talk of transplant, months of barely being about to get out of bed, massive infections, medication problems, anxiety and aGóra phobia, many more shocks from the ICD, and dozens if not hundreds of trips to doctors. I had a one year old at the time, both my wife and I work, and I was also attempting to care for two ailing parents. Certainly the most difficult period of my life.

With much trial and error and pain, things eventually stabilized, the right cocktail of meds was found, and other than no cardio, things were OK. I keep my heart rate below 130 (resting is around 40-45) and avoid anything that would ordinarily trigger a big adrenaline rush.

This January, wooed by Facebook ads, I got an eBike. In March I got another one. I’ve ridden around 500 miles and 35k vert in the last month, and for the first time in 9 years (since all this started) I feel like I can do something outdoors that I love while controlling how hard my heart is working. I turn the motor off except for big hills and strong headwinds. It’s tempting to push it harder than I should, but I remind myself of everything my family and I went through, of everything that so many others have gone through, and remember the fact that the joy is simply being outside on the open road (mostly) under my own power, seeing beautiful places and meeting some amazing people - not shaving another few seconds off a segment PR.

Your stories are all inspirational, thank you again for sharing!
In spite of the image that ebike riders are cheaters these posts prove otherwise. We may need help to ride but we are a tough bunch regardless. Alaskan, Catalyzt and Mschett I am thankful for your stories and hope your road is long and filled with many good memories. Ride on.

@mschwett and @Catalyzt One of the things that keeps me going is guys like both of you. There are so many ways in which people struggle with health issues. Dealing with the kind of rare, multiple system and/or multiple symptom issues that are so hard to accurately diagnose and treat, that you guys have endured with such determination and patience, truly inspires me.

Another thing that keeps me going in this strange cancer journey is what I call reverse schadenfreude. Every two weeks, I go into the cancer center for a chemo infusion. During the period between infusions, feeling constantly cruddy, it tempting to devolve into self pity. When I am at the cancer center, just about all of the other patients are so pale, weary, and obviously faring so much worse than I am. I almost feel guilty about riding my bike back and forth to the chemo center. The staff and providers cheer me on but the other patients make me count my blessings.

The first big challenge that I dealt with in my life occurred in August of 2017. I told part of that tale a few years ago here, but I though I would recount that event as it is a tale of extreme good fortune and uncanny survival.

Originally written in October of 2017 - I have been working as a charter boat owner/captain in Southeast Alaska since 1996. While it was a fairly active life, I did not get much real exercise and had grown fat and lazy.

At the age of 67, during the last scheduled charter for the season, after dinner, on August 31, 2017, while anchored in a remote cove on Baranof Island, Alaska, 80 miles from the nearest town, I started experiencing chest and arm pain.

For the past 10 years we have had an automatic defibrillator on board and have kept the battery updated. In addition, that week one of our guests was the first woman to come out of the Mayo clinic as a board certified cardiologist. If not for these two facts, I would not be writing this.

I asked my wife, Nancy to bring Margaret back to the pilot house. Her husband, Randy, a urologist, had stent put in a few years ago and carried nitro. She informed me that I was having a heart attack, gave me some nitro and had me chew up five aspirin. Then gave me another Nitro and then a third, monitoring my BP the whole time. The pain would not subside. Nancy mentioned that we had an AED (automatic electric defibrillator) on board. Margaret asked her to get that out

about a minute afterr Margaret opened up the AED, while she was at my side, holding the pads in her hand, I went into a cold sweat and went into cardiac arrest with ventricular fibrillation. I lost consciousness and stopped breathing. The AED was deployed, a shock administered, followed by 5-10 compresions of CPR at which point my heart started pumping again, I resumed breathing and regained consciousness.

Because of the heavy rain, fog and darkness, it was another seven hours before I could be lifted into a helicopter and taken to an emergency room in Juneau. As there is no cardiac care in Juneau Margaret insisted on accompanying me to the hospital Emergency Room and was also lifted off the boat in a basket into the Coast Guard Helicopter. In Juneau I was given a clot buster and sent off on a medivac plane to the cath lab in Anchorage, arriving 12 hours after cardiac arrest.

In Anchorage two stents were put in through the radial artery in my wrist in the medial and distal left anterior descending coronary artery. From everything I have been told, I should never have made it to the cath lab. The fact I am writing this is in a probability range of something close to 0%. This was what is referred to as a "Widow Maker" heart attack.

A truly good friend from whom we purchased our boat, the Alaskan Song, had ended his charter season and was home on Bainbridge Island. We called him while we were waiting for the helicopter. He flew up to Juneau the next morning, meeting up with Margaret and the two of them flew out to the boat in a chartered float plane to finish the charter trip as planned. Nancy flew back on that plane and then flew to Anchorage, joining me in the hospital.

I remained in the hospital for four nights after which we flew back to Bellingham, our home port. Good friends, who are capable mariners, ran the boat south from Alaska to Bellingham for us.

According to the national heart association, less than 6% of those who experience cardiac arrest outside the hospital survive and only 30% of those survive without measurable cognitive impairment. This gives you some idea of how miraculous my survival was and how grateful I am to be writing this.

It has been quite the ordeal but I have survived it and even thrived despite or perhaps because of it. This served to confirm the need for us to retire. We have hired a captain and chef to take over operations for us. I continued to manage the marketing and booking of our charters and manage the finances and maintenance on our boat until covid hit. We are now selling the boat

I am on a cocktail of medications right now but feeling good and have not had any angina since. My cardiologist said my ejection fraction wa down to 35% which puts me just into the range of congestive Heart failure. He said that is highly unlikely to improve but I can prevent further deterioration through regular exercise.

I intend to make the very best of this second chance.

End of 2017 update - In November we brought a puppy in to our lives, which gets me walking more and is good for the heart in other ways as well.

End of 2018 update -: In early January, 2018 I had a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted in my chest due to scar tissue on my left ventrical posing a risk of sudden deadly heart rhythm. By late January I was attending a cardiac rehabilitation exercise program, a directed program, of building cardio conditioning with cardiac EKG monitoring. This was three days per week for six week.

We were told we needed to find a regular cardio exercise program and stick with it. In early February I bought an electrically assisted bicycle and began to ride it most days instead of driving a car. I finished 2018 with over 6,000 miles on my bicycle, averaging 20 miles per day. I have now lost 30 lbs. and have not had any tobacco since my heart stopped (I was a pipe smoker) I have more energy and feel more vital than I have in decades. My latest echo cardiogram shows an ejection fraction of 40. My cardiologist calls me the "miracle man"

End of 2019 update: I rode 7,212 miles this year, averaging just over 600 miles per month. In July of 2019 I rode 1,412 miles. My ebike has become my principal vehicle, I rode it 332 out of 365 days this past year. I have also added a circuit of 14 weight lifting machines three times a week to keep my upper body and core strong. I have gained back twelve pounds but this time it is all muscle. My waist has stayed the same while the circumference of my thighs has increased 3" along with noticeable increase in upper body muscle. At my December cardiology appointment, my ejection fraction is now 45%. I have not experienced any episodes of angina and no longer carry nitro glycerin.

The implanted defibrillator has never gone off and has not detected any arrhythmias.

I have never engaged in any form of regular exercise for a sustained period in my life. Friends and family joke about who has taken over my body. It is just me with a new zest for life and a desire to stay alive.

Life is good.

Two months later I got the cancer diagnosis for a sarcoma buried under my left quadricep. The irony of having a tumor in my leg, the engine of my heart's recovery was not lost on me.

I will strive to be healthy and fit as long as I can. I draw sustaining inspiration from fellow cancer survivors & patients, brave people here on EBR fighting through more debilitating conditions than I and generous, aging roady friends who can still ride 40 miles, three times a week on acoustic road bikes.

I know that my fate is the same as every single one of us. Some day I will turn a corner, something with reach up and bite me in the ass and not let go. Till then I will keep shaking them off. You never know which one will keep holding on and seal your fate, so just keep shaking and "ride anyway" any day you can.

Birth is such a genetic lottery. I won the jackpot. I'm only short weak & funny looking with a runny nose. You other guys - - my sympathy.
I like listening to old people who know more than I do. Many of the men died 3 years after retiring. I've been following Dr. Ken Cooper's program since age 18, originally enforced by the Army, but I never quit. I haven't worked in 13 years and my heart/lungs are great! I haven't run a car in 13 years, either. I'm a weakling but I can move.
Biking on road is a big risk. I've been hit by cars twice. Nothing worse so far than a bump scrape & a bruise. Not biking is a bigger risk. I have 50% chance of getting dementia by count of grandparents. So I might get wiped out by a car? Better than yelling at the nurses trying to take care of my useless body after I lose my mind.

I have friends in Bellingham and hope to get there this year somehow..possibly with our ebikes. Would really enjoy meeting you if that happens.
I hope that can happen and will really enjoy riding with you and showing you something of this part of the world. If you get here but without bikes, we have enough to lend you one, maybe even an Allant ;)

Last edited:
I hope that can happen and will really enjoy riding with your and showing you something of this part of the world. If you get here but without bikes, we have enough to lend you one, maybe even an Allant ;)
Moved to Washington in 1980 and biked the San Juans (and the San Juan County Fair) back in the early ‘80s on my old Raleigh Competition. Spent a good amount of time in Seattle back when it was a much nicer city, before it became Californicated.😎
This pic taken on Orcas island.
20F5E094-0A3A-497F-85C0-0D3ED5123DD0.jpeg

my health was pretty low with all my food issues. the e bike has let me really tell how food treats me. the watt meter helps a lot too my muscles always feel tired so its hard to tell how much effort I am putting out. I can have tired feeling legs but really have a good power output. my best sued to be around 160 watts on a good day and 130 to 150 most days now it is 170 to 190 and a little over 200 on a really good day. it's a huge difference in effort instead of maybe 120 at most heart rate now it is 130 to 140 or higher. I have found now that I strictly control carbs and watch everything I eat my energy levels are far higher I am actually gaining muscle for the first time in many years. my arms still feel tired anytime I use them a lot o move them fast. I am going to ask my GP if she has any idea why. its amazing How much food effects my health. if I eat veggies two days in a row I feel like I have a a big of a hangover for a couple of days. I can lose 100 watts if I eat cabs two or three days in a row. years ago when it was worse when I was on a analog bike I was so slow and my lung would be so tight it took all the fun out of riding. I never tough I could ride 9000 miles in a year. NowI am trying to make sure I eat enough if I don't I run out of energy fast. I feel I need more fat in my diet but my esophagus wont let me eat more. but I get to eat 1/2# of cheese a day or more.

Attachments

• IMG_2479.jpeg
    IMG_2479.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
my health was pretty low with all my food issues. the e bike has let me really tell how food treats me. the watt meter helps a lot too my muscles always feel tired so its hard to tell how much effort I am putting out. I can have tired feeling legs but really have a good power output. my best sued to be around 160 watts on a good day and 130 to 150 most days now it is 170 to 190 and a little over 200 on a really good day. it's a huge difference in effort instead of maybe 120 at most heart rate now it is 130 to 140 or higher
You're a better man than I, Gunga DIn.

I can average 110-115 watts on a good day but am usually in the 80-100 range on a long ride. I am on beta blockers so my heart rate ordinarily maxes out in the mid 120s.

I can average 110-115 watts on a good day but am usually in the 80-100 range on a long ride. I am on beta blockers so my heart rate ordinarily maxes out in the mid 120s.
It is so cool that they Nyon accesses all this fitness data and more. It is easily added to a custom screen without the need for any added sensors

I have done a 52 miles ride. once my wife gets back in shape and we can ride the tandem hopefully we can do more but if I doing such high watts its in the city with parts of starts and stops. wet nI took the bike path I could not keep it at 200 more in the range of 170 but I could keep my heart rate higher. So far I have not found any meds I can actually take. so exercising and controlling my diet its all I have to keep myself healthy. my bp is on the high side. but it was Fien till my esophagus went out of control one day the nit got tired of me eating carbs. it went from normal to high in one day and it has been on the high side for 2 years. no clue why but I doubt Could take meds to help it

I’ve tried to exercise regularly all my life from track in HS and early college to OL lifting until 50. Early in the military I was snatched from SE Asia to stateside after a cloudy X-ray, fortunately it wasn’t the initially diagnosed Hodgkins but another autoimmune disease. So…I was given a medical discharge and have helpfully had the VA’s assistance since…(Health care, checks, two degrees) with only occasional problems via the immune system. At age 48 I blew out my right shoulder…bad…and found out from my PT friend (another lifter) that I was not expected to be able to lift my arm over my head again. At 50 I lifted in a final meet and won my class (old age and treachery versus twenty somethings with bad technique)
When I moved to my farm in the 80s I bought a Bianchi for the days out of the gym. I was never much of an aerobic athlete so rode slow and short…15 rolling miles generally. But I sure liked the sights.
I slacked off in the teens of this century then got off my wallet and bought a Trek SC7…and found this site afterwards which thanks to some here…you know who you are…got my present Allant9s. I was also in this century diagnosed with PTSD to go with feet problems that curtailed my walis, a touch of diabetes that is no problem since I embraced the Metformin. And now I’m recovering from another shoulder operation…which went from 2-4 weeks in a sling…to 10 weeks forcing me to miss the great riding weather. Worse than the shoulder is missing the mental relief/disengagement Alaskan described above.
So…I will, as my condition improves, attempt to push my range further than last year (2k in about 7 months) systematically pushing rather than my casual approach. I do think, as was pointed out, ebikes are for us old dogs (M/F) with our accumulations of physical/mental insults. I’ll end this with the great poet Pope’s sign on his tunnel entrance under a punitive London road to get to his orchard. “What one can’t overcome/one must undergo.”
1620510900860.jpeg

Wow, some amazing stories here and glad to hear how beneficial riding an ebike has been to so many. I wonder if someone could start a thread where people post the health issues the ebike helped them with. Then members here could forward the thread to friends and family who have their own health issues and are on the fence about an ebike.

Update - Riding stronger than ever.

Last year on August 10 I did my second annual ride from Glacier Wa up to Artist Point near Mount Baker. It is a 48 mile ride with 5,000 feet of elevation gain. It is one of the most challenging and beautiful bike rides in Whatcom County.

Two weeks later, on August 24, as I was waiting in the lobby of UW Med center, for surgery a to remove the sarcoma from my left quadricep, I told Nancy that, for me, the measure of complete success for me would be doing that same ride in 2021.

Yesterday, my friend Matt Larson and I did the same ride. Halfway up the mountain, I realized that it was exactly one year to the day after the five hour surgery on my left quad. Then as we neared the top of the ride, just after 1 PM, it occurred to me that it was one year nearly to the minute since emerging from the surgical suite to the recovery room. It was a very emotional moment that had me wiping away a few tears of joy as we reached the top of the climb.

I can't begin to express just how much ebikes have contributed to my physical and mental health and joy in living.

This photo taken yesterday
baker-climb.jpg

This photo taken on August 10, 2020 - 2 week prior to surgery
20200810_123629.jpg
8-24 glacier-artist point.jpg

Last edited:

Last year on August 10 I did my second annual ride from Glacier Wa up to Artist Point near Mount Baker. It is a 48 mile ride with 5,000 feet of elevation gain. It is one of the most challenging and beautiful bike rides in Whatcom County.

Two weeks later, on August 24, as I was waiting in the lobby of UW Med center, for surgery a to remove the sarcoma from my left quadricep, I told Nancy that, for me, the measure of complete success for me would be doing that same ride in 2021.

Yesterday, my friend Matt Larson and I did the same ride. Halfway up the mountain, I realized that it was exactly one year to the day after the five hour surgery on my left quad. Then as we neared the top of the ride, just after 1 PM, it occurred to me that it was one year nearly to the minute since emerging from the surgical suite to the recovery room. It was a very emotional moment that had me wiping away a few tears of joy as we reached the top of the climb.

I can't begin to express just how much ebikes have contributed to my physical and mental health and joy in living.

View attachment 97745

View attachment 97747View attachment 97746
You’re an inspiration! Congrats on your work and perseverance paying off!
My wife has had 2 major bouts with ovarian cancer and she’s had 2 major surgeries, a major round of radiation, and what seemed like endless chemo. So proud of you both!😎👍

View attachment 97745

thank you for sharing! what a fantastic story. i know firsthand how difficult it can be mentally and physically to recover from major health issues. you should be very very proud of yourself and your family. love the cannondale too!

also, you seem to have gotten younger over the past year! ;)

View attachment 97745

Whoo Hoo!
You’re rockin it Alaskan. Such an inspiration!

Back