Using buckets as panniers (DIY)

ebikemom

Check out this awesome DIY from REI. If I did this, my teenage daughter might be too embarrassed to ever ride with me, though!!!
https://www.rei.com/blog/cycle/diy-make-your-own-bucket-bike-panniers

I love this idea because buckets are completely rainproof. I also am impressed with the easily removable design.

buckets-as-panniers-REI.jpg

Not only "cheap" but should you break one, cheap to replace. I like 'em. As I've gotten older, I think some DIY type products show creativity and work very well; like those!

@ebikemom, totally clever! but not really waterproof, unfortunately. All of the grommets & holes have the potential to let water in; however, all is not lost :). The holes for the mounting system have to be there, so to reduce water intrusion, use some waterproof rated silicone caulk (like what's used around bathroom tubs, etc.) on the inside of the holes and a ring around the exterior to prevent seepage. Heavy duty hot glue is another option at the initial mounting points but may not last as long as the caulk. Both of these options are very inexpensive and available at hardware stores and other places. The hot glue sticks & hot glue guns are available in craft departments at Walmart and specialty craft shops. Either item will be handy for other projects around your home.

hot-glue-gun-with-glue-sticks.jpg
Hot Glue Tools
silicone-caulk.JPG
Waterproof Silicone Caulk

The other, lower holes for the bungee mounting straps would be really hard to seal this way since the cords are moving. What the REI project did is a very elegant method that mimics what a conventional saddlebag or pannier mount looks like but could let moisture & water in. They also won't stop the containers from slapping on the sides of the rack, a noise most riders wouldn't notice with a cloth type saddlebag. Consider instead, doing away with those completely and use a pair of bungee cords wrapped horizontally around each bucket and the rack, one close to the top and one 2/3rds down to keep the buckets stable and less noisy.

buckets-as-panniers-REI.jpg

To continue the waterproofing: instead of drilling a hole for the reflectors, use some double sided tape or super glue to mount them on the rear as a great safety measure. You might need to file down a little of the plastic where the mounting screw would have gone if the reflector doesn't lay flush on the bucket's surface.

You might even be able to just use one heavy duty bungee cord per side and have the stability you need. Once you remove the bungees to take your buckets in to shop or work, just toss the bungees inside each bucket or clip them on to the rack so they don't get lost. Now to add one more layer of water protection for a rainy day commute, think about the tops of the buckets. Those are pretty good at keeping out water; however, it might still be possible for some to creep around the edges of the lid. If you don't perfectly snap it down (and these lids aren't always the easiest to press down or remove) or you've taken the lid on and off a lot of times, it may not seal perfectly. However, super simple solution: a couple of appropriately sized squares cut from a heavy duty plastic drop cloth. Choose one that's 3 to 6 mil thickness so it can be reused many times. This is better than a trimmed down garbage can liner; the seams can be a bit porous and the smaller bags are too thin and would tear easily. Fold up the plastic square small, stuff it in the bucket and when you need the extra water protection, just lay it over the top and sides of the bucket and secure it with the upper bungee cord.

Voila! Waterproof. and still an inexpensive project with great carrying capacity. :cool:
As for convincing teenagers about the "coolness" of anything (if they'll even listen) that's all in your ballpark @ebikemom!

(In South Austin we LOVE our bungeed on milk crates; especially the ones that are REAL milk crates, they're almost a cyclist's status symbol here...and don't ask us where we find them ;))

milk-crate.jpg

**As a point of curiosity, what other items have fellow EBR members found that's handy to haul "stuff" in on your bike?**

Last edited:
Wow, @Ann M, you are a fountain of knowledge and creativity! :) Love the idea of using bungees instead of holes. I loved the waterproof bucket idea and even though I read the instructions and saw ALL OF THOSE HOLES, I didn't notice the waterproofing problem.

I posted a message on a local social media group (nextdoor.com) to try to score myself some kitty litter buckets!

Milk crate: Awesome idea. Tried to buy one at a craft store. They didn't have one. I instead zip-tied a different sort of basket to the top of my rack, to add capacity to my Wald side baskets. You can see it in this photo (of my bike mounted on our car rack).
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 9.07.47 AM.png

I also did a lot of googling to see if I could purchase buckets for a reasonable price. The reasonably priced ones are all BULK buckets, from most companies. BUT, US Plastics sells them separately--looks like it's about $9.00 for bucket and lid, and similar price for shipping, so about $35.00 for two buckets and lids. They even come in a variety of fun colors!
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 9.11.37 AM.png
Still pondering a purchase. Don't want to spend $35.00 unless I know I really will do this project! But, I know that my current set-up is doomed once the liquid sunshine we get in the Fall, Winter and Spring sets in ...

No, don't spend that much, ebikemom. Saw some on Amazon for that kind of price and even thought the Home Depot version was a bit overpriced.

Try the Cary Company; they have a good selection of safe, non-toxic, buckets (lids are separate) but they sell 'onesies' not just bulk.

I wear a long white beard now that I am retired. When I ride downtown, except for my helmet, I start to blend in with the homeless that live with their bicycles as transport and storage for all their worldly possession. If I strapped 2 yellow buckets, or plastic milk crates to the side of my Haibike, there would barely be a recognizable difference from me and that group. Too close for my ego's comfort! LOL

@rich c , that's pretty funny! Yes, they aren't beautiful, but they look so practical! I got kitty litter buckets today, but I think I'd prefer larger ones. Maybe they'll make my bike look not worth stealing?

Clever idea!

Don't forget to mention the high viz yellow color as a safety factor.

Back